• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
y38Bo8L.jpg

Welcome to the slighly belated March Steam Thread.

GOTY Update :

jHvBOTN.png

Voting is being redone. Enter Here!

Check out Toma's [GOTY] IndieGAF recommends: The 50 Best Indies of 2014

iFH68tTWBNzjE.jpg

header.jpg

Pillars of Eternity (Uzzy)

Pillars of Eternity, developed by Obsidian Entertainment, is an isometric party based role-playing game, featuring a real time with pause combat system. While travelling with a rag-tag caravan, your character witnesses a horrific and extraordinary supernatural event which thrusts them into a difficult circumstance. Gathering a party, they have to venture forth into the world of the Eastern Reach, to investigate what has happened to them in order to free themselves of the forces that haunt them wherever they go.

I have waited for a game like this for over a decade now. The classic Bioware/Black Isle Infinity Engine games were my introduction to fantasy and role playing, with Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment still high on my list of favourite games. So the promise of a new Infinity Engine style game from Obsidian, who have made some flawed masterpieces of the RPG genre in the past decade, such as Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas and KOTOR2, had me very excited. Thanks to Kickstarter, there's no publisher here to screw Obsidian over, so we may finally see if they can release a game without a mass of bugs that threaten to overshadow the fantastic writing, characters and plotting that are Obsidian's trademark.

8lgpKuL.png

Assassin’s Creed: Rogue (Dr Dogg)

Well I’ve not exactly kept quiet about my love of this game so I’ll try and do this without gushing too much. Assassin’s Creed Rogue, the charitable PS360 game of last year when they didn’t get Unity is the culmination of the Americas storyline. It takes place between the events of III and Black Flag and neatly ties the storylines together. It may have been considered Black Flag II but it’s a great combination of III and IV with a few new ideas of its own.

You play as Irishman Shay Patrick Cormac, the usual Assassin in training. Though Shay isn’t quite comfortable with the Brotherhood and their ideology. Trying to keep him focused is his childhood friend Liam but he doesn’t see eye to eye with senior members of the order like the arrogant Frenchman Chevalier. Needless to say Shay is tasked with a mission but something goes a little bit wrong (well spectacularly actually but that would give away a great set piece) which cause Shay to question the morality of the Assassin Order. Confronting the head of the order, Achilles Davenport, Shay is forced to flee the Homestead, corned on the edge of a cliff he plummets into the sea bellow only to be rescued by the most unlikely of sources, the Templars. This then sets the scene for Shay to see the Assassin/Templar struggle from a different perspective which he feels the Templars will allow him to set right the tragedy he caused.

So you have all the Naval combat and island exploration from Black Flag, across 2 large play areas in the North Atlantic and River Valley with countless islands and settlements to explore. Naval combat has got some upgrades and Shay’s ship The Morigan is equipped with some deadly weapons like the explosive front mounted Carronades, the machine gun like Puckle Gun replacing the pivot guns, a ram the not only cuts through sheets of ice but can be used to charge down enemy vessels and finally fire barrels have been replaced with burning oil which can be used as a trail to keep foes off your tail or encircle them trapping them in place. Plus in the harsh waters of the North Atlantic Ice Bergs can be used to your advantage either as cover from enemy fire or destroy them to cause a damaging ripple wave to cripple your foe. Legendary Ships are back though they have increased in scope to Legendary Battles with fleets to take on.

On land you have the city of New York to explore and rebuild if you so wish. New for Rogue are Gang Hideouts that play out like Outposts in the Far Cry games. You have to fulfil objectives like assassinating the hideout leader and removing the flag atop the hideout to clear the area of Assassin’s influence. Also despite the game not featuring any multiplayer a lot of the concepts have been brought over in to the game. As Shay has defected to the Templars you will now be stalked by Assassin’s. You will hear the familiar whispers for the multiplayer to let you know that an assassin is close and by using Shay’s Eagle Sense you can pin point their location with the radial compass that was present in the multiplayer. As for armaments Shay has all the tricks of an assassin and combat plays out like Black Flag but he is also armed with an advanced Air Rifle. This can fire different types of ammunition like sleeping darts and grenades that poison or explode.

Finally the present day is a continuation of Abstergo Entertainment from Black Flag, with computer hacking puzzle solving along with plenty of files to dig into from some series lore.

iobS7qaObBL7P.jpg

Anyone can write a recommendation for an upcoming game for next month, just send a a PM of the game you want to write about and
your thoughts on why it's good/why people should play it. Please make the sure recommendation is 60+ words at least and try and hand
it a few days before the month ends so I can add it to the next thread.

ibdfbTmQDXbEOg.jpg

• Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. Splitting retail packs is fine in this thread.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
  • Examples of good posting behaviour and poor posting behaviour.
  • Don't hype pre-order bundles that you have no idea about.

iuycRrpde7uBO.jpg

iYesePjbpHEE.jpg

• Sites that list Steam profile Stats? - Check list, remember not to spam this thread with your profile stats:

iKOS3JVH1D3jM.jpg

ibuVVdJXZEfIu1.jpg

Previous Threads:

rrvv

Sorry Gaf but MRORANGE is stuck in Valve Space Time Portal since he desperately trying to get Half Life 3

milena87

Thanks for the new thread Bosstones!

And guys, please stop joking. Divinity was our GOTY. It's time to start accepting it.

titch

Kinda feel like I'm cheating on the better half....

What happens in the steam thread stays in the steam thread right!!!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Instead game rrecommendation we should do anime recommendation

Post Steam reviews on games, but them actually secretly be anime reviews, we'll replace each Steam game with a random anime,

Half-Life 2 Steam review:
"The first season was pretty good, Celty happened to be my favorite character, While a bit slow to get going, by episode 5-6, I was hooked. The music and its strange expression added a lot, and seeing the perspective of many different characters, especially so rapidly changing viewpoints, could of been a mess, but is pulled off-masterfully with distinctive imagery, focus, and animation work.,,"

I'm being fallacious,

Chariot

It's funny considering that I was thinking about posting about the episode of a certain anime I just watched.
That sounds so mysterious.

Instead game rrecommendation we should do anime recommendation
Would be interesting. Abandoned by our gods the only one left to face is the devil.

Recommend games from every platform except steam.

I hear bloodborne and helldivers are coming out soon.
Isn't the Order still hot topic?

Post Steam reviews on games, but them actually secretly be anime reviews, we'll replace each Steam game with a random anime,
Sneaky :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom