• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Oidisco

Your advice helped me and spurred me to uploading the first of maybe many courses: "Springfest".

It's quite easy, so whatever haha.

Course ID: 9ACE-000-0032-1696

I hope one of you guys looks at it and tells me it's good, even if unoriginal in every way.

Got around to trying this level, but I couldn't finish it. It's a nice idea and think you should try doing something with springs again, but there's a big issue with the level.

It's extrememly difficult to beat it, with the way springs fly out of the pipes it simply doesn't work. They all come out at the same time at 1st, but then they start de-syncing and it basically comes down to luck after that.

I'd recommend spending more time ensuring the level flows the way you intend it to for new players. Keep testing and working on the layout until you feel like it can be beaten in such a way that it doesn'y come down to luck or guessing.

I'd also recomend offering a little safety net, say you get half-way up through the pipes, there should be a small ledge that allows you to take chance to have the rest of the springs fly out in a better pattern

Lemon King

Neo Member
YhOqC3e.jpg

Magnificent Magma Keep (695C-0000-0032-EA9D)

If I had taken more time, I would have been able to make better use of the course space.

Oidisco

Oh, yesterday Video Games Awesome and SpikeVegeta played some of my levels when they were streaming. They seemed to like em, so dats pretty cool!

A Mario Maker level editor would be a good thing for Nintendo to include in their infamous Nintendo App. Work on levels on your phone and play them on Wii U when you get home.

Zebetite

Banned
WVW69iYn82o9xvJ8vv

Mineshaft Mayhem is an attempt to make a vertical level in SMB3. I started to run out of blocks (in fact, the non-sub-world is at the maximum number of blocks!) so i had to start making each "area'" wider before thinning back out at the top. Kind of a reverse hourglass.

There are 3 hidden 1ups and (should be!) 100 coins, so if it were to come up in 100 Mario Challenge hopefully people can break even on it if they poke around.

I spent a lot of time on this one, so hopefully people enjoy it! I should have toned down the difficulty in certain sections but I'd already spent so long on everything that I didn't have the energy to re-engineer much.

The best thing about this game is seeing how people do on your stages lol

Try my castle stage pass rate is 17% but its really an easy stage but hey I know the stage lol

C0DE 0000 0025 D6A4 - The Deed

Fun, short stage! Once I Found the mushroom it became easier, but was still a challenge. Gave you a star and im now following you.

Yeah, my Highway Star level is easy but seems to stump people. Half my fault and half peoples short attention span. I Have the original, which i think shows itself once you have a go and realise you cant make the jump without a star. Its in the name of the level after all. But its all about learning to telegraph the 'secrets' well enough, which is the most enjoyable part of the game. Here are the levels;

Original 31D4-0000-002F-7DF5
Easier 4772-0000-0032-CFE3

Heres my other level, that I think I show the way to play it a bit clearer, but is a more abstract level in some ways

The Money Pit d8A4-0000-002E-2876

As for problems with the game, Just from observing my play style, im much less inclined to battle through a random level because i dont trust its going to be worth it, assuming the worst. I just want that hint of excitement then im onto the next, as theres endless levels which I think is the biggest problem with the game. No one wants to play unstarted levels as theres no quality control, which is a catch 22.

The only real satisfaction I get is playing friends levels as it holds their personality so im already interested going in. Will be interesting to see how they deal with this.

BriGuy

The key to success is apparently getting an amiibo-specific power-up, flinging it in at the start of your "level," and then just mashing random objects on the Wii Pad with your dick until you randomly hit the upload the button.

I like how the screenshot shows where Monty is... like seriously, it doesn't hide him when it takes a screenshot?
WVW69iYnpMo_EuxZ-F

Anyway,

Monty's Lovely Garden
0FFB-0000-0032-B02A

Short little level used as an experiment to see if I could make SMW styled Monty Moles using semi-solid platforms. Spoiler: You can't. Ended up experimenting with semi-solids as a background tool, and also I just learned you could shake them and mushrooms to change their color while building this stage and now I feel like an idiot.

Lemon King

Neo Member
Short little level used as an experiment to see if I could make SMW styled Monty Moles using semi-solid platforms. Spoiler: You can't. Ended up experimenting with semi-solids as a background tool, and also I just learned you could shake them and mushrooms to change their color while building this stage and now I feel like an idiot.
Save with the camera position where it shouldn't spoil any 'hidden' spots in your course.

MouldyK

Got around to trying this level, but I couldn't finish it. It's a nice idea and think you should try doing something with springs again, but there's a big issue with the level.

It's extrememly difficult to beat it, with the way springs fly out of the pipes it simply doesn't work. They all come out at the same time at 1st, but then they start de-syncing and it basically comes down to luck after that.

I'd recommend spending more time ensuring the level flows the way you intend it to for new players. Keep testing and working on the layout until you feel like it can be beaten in such a way that it doesn'y come down to luck or guessing.

I'd also recomend offering a little safety net, say you get half-way up through the pipes, there should be a small ledge that allows you to take chance to have the rest of the springs fly out in a better pattern

Oh, many thanks!

I noticed the flaws too, hence why my 2nd level was more pattern-based.

Like I said, I have many ideas, but I just need to work out what I want to do.

And I think I want levels with the same basic ideas, to tie them together:

- Nothing based on luck.
- Nothing too hard.
- Fast enough to do in 100-Seconds.
- All Puzzle-Based.

Next time I post here with levels, ill have 10 to show.

Cob32

Finally beat The Tunnel of Imminent Peril! Props to whoever built that level. It's one of the best I've played.

IceMarker

My first SMW level! I'm pretty proud of it, considering I love making Boo Buddies.

lm2nyK4.jpg

Ghostly Carnival
A0D4-0000-0033-251A
OLD LEVEL ID

I could use more stars from star players! :)

Theorymon

I made another level!

Unlike my last level, which was tough as nails, this one is very easy to beat! However, the twist is that this level has a "story" to tell. How you interpret it is up to you!

The Goomba: A Sad Tale of Madness. BDAB-0000-0033-2697

Here's my second stage you can leave feedback on!

WVW69iYoNrspJwAZo3

Find The Secret Ghost House!
038D-0000-0033-0B0C

Beating the stage isn't that difficult. I tried to make it Nintendo-y, and I think it turned out well except for the last part which kinda sticks out as not Nintendo-y to me. However, I put my own spin on it that you can experience if you try to find the alternate exit. I hope I didn't make it too obtuse and frustrating to find. Please let me know what you think! I always think I have a solid level until I start playing some of yours!

Gvitor

How do I make a pipe throw out infinite stuff? I dragged a red koopa into a pipe and it only spews that one koopa. In another level I messed around with, it kept throwing koopas out. The only difference was that my pipe now is upside down, but that can't be it.

How do I make a pipe throw out infinite stuff? I dragged a red koopa into a pipe and it only spews that one koopa. In another level I messed around with, it kept throwing koopas out. The only difference was that my pipe now is upside down, but that can't be it.

I think some units are only generated if you destroy the other. Spinies and goombas generate infinitely, but P-Switches don't.

Platy

Didn't it only trow another when the first is out ?

sorry for the little reply's. I just made another castle level that I'm hoping you guys will enjoy and I'm open to feedback.

Bowers House of Fire 1A9E-000-0033-182F.

I admit there may be some dumb parts and I apologize. Wanted it to make it a bit challenging.

Despite me saying much earlier in this thread that I wont make levels because I am not clever enough, I made two levels!

This first one...not so clever
B084-0000-0033-3175

This second one...I am okay with
75F0-0000-0033-3895

2SeeKU

I present the following Zelda inspired puzzle/challenge map:

xW5bhPZ.jpg

The Trials Of Link
0AC7-0000-0022-1392

I'm curious to see if anyone can figure out some of the puzzles.

devonodev

Posting again for the new day!
I have made 3 levels so far that I would consider decent, if anyone would like to try them!

WVW69iYb61cSuch_nD

Do the Mario!
(825D-0000-002B-EF64)
A fairly standard Mario World stage, with a slight bit more difficulty, and a few secrets around too.

WVW69iYgsLofH1-W3g

Super Metroid Crateria
(C161-0000-002E-47D7)
As the title suggests, it is based of a few rooms in Super Metroid, more a concept than an actual Mario stage..

WVW69iYUm8U5Dv6r1l

Superb Mario Bros
(817C-0000-0027-FB23)
The first stage I created, it is a bit tricky and I think I have improved since then, but if you can fly with the cape at all then it's not too bad. If you're only going to try one, then don't make it this one.

Gvitor

Ok, did some testing. It seems the pipes can only throw one red koopa at a time. It only spews another if you kill the one that came out first. As for green koopas, it throws them out indefinitely, killing or no killing. Really sucks, I needed a koopa that don't fall from platforms coming out of that pipe =( ... actually that may be the reason why they did it. Otherwise you could have a ridiculous amount of koopas in one tile.

More than anything else I think this game demonstrates why Nintendo makes its Mario games with the low level of difficulty/complexity that they do.

I've made 3 levels that I consider to be incredibly easy and they have clear rates of 33%, 33%, and 50%. And I've seen a lot of other people saying that they've made what they consider average difficulty levels and they've got clear rates of 10%, 5% etc.

Kind of makes apparent the sort of skill level that most people have. Plus I'm sure while there are lots of kids playing this, keep in mind that the Wii U isn't selling the best either...there are plenty of "day one" Nintendo die-hards playing this game too. The average gamer really might not be as good a gamer as you think.

And I think you get more stars with honey than with vinegar anyway. :)

My first SMB 3 upload, "Rocky Roads Lead to Cool Oceans," secret exit based stage built around exploring using the Raccoon suit, prepare to dig a bit. There are three super leafs, one of them is hidden:

WVW69iYbrkAsIly0wq

Per some feedback I received from a few good folks here, I refined "A Safe Landing for Yoshi" to have less blind spots and also made the subworld fortress section a bit longer and tougher, will be uploading it later. But how does uploading a revised version of the same stage online work? Will it just overwrite the existing one online with the updates changes or do I need to just delete the old version and treat it as a fresh upload?

Dimmle

Here's my first try at Mario Maker with just the base assets. I hope it feels like a milder Lost Levels segment.

A Dish Best Served Hot
45AB-0000-0033-405B

WVW69iYojX4L_iaCuY

Jpope

Neo Member
I've made some levels, please enjoy!

Underground Villager - C868-0000-0018-F64C

Frog Suit Mario - DEC5-0000-001A-49DF

Bowser's Big Fleet - 7E1E-0000-001D-AD9C

SMW Monty Mole Zone - 09AA-0000-0025-6351

So Long *** Bowser - 03FD-0000-002A-BBDB

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just thought of a bunch of improvements for my Metroid level. But I really need sleep now, for some reason I get my best ideas when I'm half asleep. Tomorrow then!

Also I constructed this huge garbage removal apparatus for my new level, only to notice that the game removes most items that are a specific amount of blocks outside the screen anyway. Deleted most of it afterwards. A shame, could have looked nice. Not to say that what's left doesn't also look needlessly complicated.

Wow, I'm the number 11 Mario Maker in the US!

gXW6JZa.png

Crazy to think that I'm bumping elbows with Youtube celebs up there. I think most of them are.

Number 50 globally is at 896 stars right now so I'm approaching that too! :eek:

Thud

Some of my levels:

Marioary

73FC-0000-0028-6208

WVW69iYcjLkzwcoS93

It's basically a SMW ABC level, showing newcomers some basic techniques one would normally acquire in SMW. The focus is on learning the spin jump and applying it a few times.

Dawn Of The Third Day

AC47-0000-0030-18A7

WVW69iYj5cIm5o4dMn

I removed the troll ending with a bit more action. Only one pipe leads to victory. The rest is either secrets or something cool to show off. It also looks more like a real level than the previous levels in this series.

It's amazing how much content GAF is producing, I can't keep up haha. If there's a level I need to check,let me know :)

JRBechard

ZDY9S2y.jpg

Raid Bowser's Floating Fort - 9DEF-0000-0033-41C8

I'm really really proud of this one. It's vertical level based on bob-ombs and destructible walls. There's two secret rooms to find! It's tough but not unfair.

Please leave feedback, hope you enjoy it!

Difficulty isn't the only reason people quit out. For instance, when "1-1 Remix" pops up in the 100 Mario Challenge it's pretty much an insta-quit for me, as I don't care if I ever see or play that level (or any variations on it) again as long as I live. So there might be a "seen it, played it" factor there. And, some people might hit the skip button because they think your level is just uninteresting. I don't expect everyone to like what I've put up. I don't even care, really. I'm just having fun with it.

They probably ought to patch in a checkpoint tool, though.

Piano

Banned
I haven't gotten the game yet, but I've got a question before I pick it up.

Is the quality of stages being made by the community / the curating system good enough where if I just hop into 100 Mario Mode or whatnot the stages it serves up will usually or almost always be fun? I'd rather not have to always be punching in codes and managing the 120 levels I'm allowed to have saved just to have a good time.

Is there a way to make coins respawn? I'm trying to set up a p-block puzzle and it'd be nice to have the coins come back, otherwise the puzzle becomes quite a bit easier.

jnWake

Simple and short one, give it a quick run

What do they Chomp Exactly?
WVW69iYoMo0keZBw8K

(8135-0000-0033-084B)

Played this one. Died a bunch in silly ways... The first wall in the underground section is a bit mean. If you fall there you're forced to die or take a hit. Otherwise, it was fun if a bit short.

In my quest to make an easier, more enjoyable course.. I present to you..

Climb to Mole Base

(14EC-0000-0032-3951)

Even still it came out more difficult than I intended.

WVW69iYm6oE5M3nz-2

It isn't that difficult. I like the mix of spiky helmet with propeller hat, nice idea there. In the last section it's possible to ground pound the ? block which makes beating the level impossible. You could try putting a door to reset the state or something.

AdanVC

I'm instructing myself watching all of the Treehouse live streams during E3 because seriously, making a decent level is hard af :(

maxcriden

WVW69iYn82o9xvJ8vv

Mineshaft Mayhem is an attempt to make a vertical level in SMB3. I started to run out of blocks (in fact, the non-sub-world is at the maximum number of blocks!) so i had to start making each "area'" wider before thinning back out at the top. Kind of a reverse hourglass.

I think you forgot the code! ;)

Wow, I'm the number 11 Mario Maker in the US!

gXW6JZa.png

Crazy to think that I'm bumping elbows with Youtube celebs up there. I think most of them are.

Number 50 globally is at 896 stars right now so I'm approaching that too! :eek:

That's so rad, congrats! Are you doing anything in particular to get your levels noticed beyond posting them here on GAF?

I haven't gotten the game yet, but I've got a question before I pick it up.

Is the quality of stages being made by the community / the curating system good enough where if I just hop into 100 Mario Mode or whatnot the stages it serves up will usually or almost always be fun? I'd rather not have to always be punching in codes and managing the 120 levels I'm allowed to have saved just to have a good time.

Absolutely not, no. Not at this point. 100M Challenge on normal or expert makes for an exercise in mostly mediocre levels at best at this point, plenty to skip, and a few gems. The few times I've gotten go try GAFer levels its been amazingly well worth it and a huge cut above the rest in terms of quality. Well worth having to punch in codes. Plus just to clarify, just because you punch in a code doesn't mean it has to be saved as one of your 120 levels. Typically you play it immediately then only download it as one of the 120 if you want to get into the editor on that particular stage.

Salbug

ID: BDAF-0000-0033-6782

WVW69iYoxsopYWhKsl

I guess you could say it gets a bit dude spammy, but I've put in some feathers to help remedy that. I spent a few hours on this making sure everything works properly with one another, and making sure nothing breaks, but I think I've got it up to satisfactory conditions. It's a maze level so choose your path wisely. Hope you guys enjoy it. ;o

Kebiinu

Banned
Don't think anyone caught my post a few pages back! So I'm updating it for the new page.

I have a fairly good eye for detail; combining crafty obstacles, and unique level layouts to impress and entertain the player!

With that being said, here are two stages I created, after a shit ton of tweaking and editing...

"What Goes Up...!"
Code: 777C-0000-002E-4B15

High altitudes and clever Koopas block your progress here! You're playing in a canyon, so watch out for drops!

"Trial Caverns"
Code: 273C-0000-002F-B77A

Treacherous obstacles and perilous terrain decide your fate in this cavern of danger. Make sure to equip that fire flower before you progress further along the pipe walkways!

Let me know what you think! I'm putting this post forward for the last time. I really want to see what some of you guys thought!

Top Bottom