• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe Season 2 |OT| Obama chuckled. "You mean the Crystal Gems?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I wish the entire show was like how these past few episodes have been. It's definitely way more serialized as each episode takes place after the last and directly deals with the events of the last episode, but it also has room for the slice of life stuff like the robot fight. If the whole show was like these past few episodes, I feel that would solve the conflict between advancing plot and keeping the status quo that shows like this and adventure time had. You wouldn't have the issue of continually delaying plot points for so many episodes to preserve the episodic nature of the show (like the 'where's peridot/malachite' thing that went on for about 15 episodes). In my opinion that's just bad pacing

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
"My Pearl."

So Pearl was probably originally Rose's servant pearl.

Yep. It seems like Homeworld might be okay with fusion so long as it's between gems of the same type/class.

I think it goes deeper, as this explains the deep love emotions Pearl feels towards Rose, that Rose probably helped her break her programming so to speak.

Psxphile

Wait...

New episode in 45 minutes.

Who digs giant robots?
This post seems oddly prophetic in hindsight.

Yes, but then they let Peridot go on a racist tirade against their friend.
Pearl has to learn to stand up for herself.

EDIT:
tumblr_nvw7dtyIQq1uush3wo1_1280.jpg

I want toy of Steven Universe.
Takufumi Hori

Soon.™
EDIT: *closer look* Pearl has that weird anime "broken smile". Why is that even a thing, Japan?

I gotta say, I wasn't expecting a confirmation of fan theory to be this direct. Kinda disappointed that Pearl lost the fight (thus affirming Peridot's feelings of racial superiority), but the ending was more for Peridot's development than Pearl's anyway.

Subjective/10

Now to begin another week long wait for the next one.

PSqueak

Banned

To be Fair, it's possible that Garnet still hasn't entirely kicked out the old homeworld customs (that are not related to fusing) and Amethyst has been on the recieving end of that sort of talk precisely comming from Pearl, if anything, while Peridot was insensitive about it (but understandably, since she doesn't know better) it's actually satisfying to see Pearl get dealt with the same bullshit she has dealt to Amethyst, who we know felt less than the other gems from that sort of attitude.

Additionally, Peridot seemingly was projecting because it's obvious she's also a the bottom tier of the hierarchy to the point that she thinks the idea of owning her own pearl would be scandalous.

Soon.™
EDIT: *closer look* Pearl has that weird anime "broken smile". Why is that even a thing, Japan?

You mean in that pic? Look closer, Pearl's whole face seems to be sliced.

I think it goes deeper, as this explains the deep love emotions Pearl feels towards Rose, that Rose probably helped her break her programming so to speak.

Oh, yeah I agree that that's part of why Pearl is so devoted to Rose, because Rose saw her as more than what Gem society were taught to think of pearls and probably helped change Pearl's perception of being stuck in the gem class system. I think the "My Rose" was definitely said as an affectionate nickname, but I think it might have stemmed from Pearl having been designated as Rose's servant, even if Rose didn't see or treat her as one.

PSqueak

Banned
Oh, yeah I agree that that's part of why Pearl is so devoted to Rose, because Rose saw her as more than what Gem society were taught to think of pearls and probably helped change Pearl's perception of being stuck in the gem class system. I think the "My Rose" was definitely said as an affectionate nickname, but I think it might have stemmed from Pearl having been designated as Rose's servant, even if Rose didn't see or treat her as one.

Im not too sure about this,
remember the kind of devotion she was "programming" into Connie, which is not unlike reducing her worth to an accessory to steven.

Violet_0

Banned

well, she needs some time to adjust. She's from some kind of fascist slavery planet where they do ethically questionable experiments, after all

still hope she remains with the Crystal Gems. The Pedriot/Steven chemistry is just too good

Holy moly.
That episode was just fantastic.
That lore bomb was pretty amazing, and I'm glad it was worked into the storytelling in a compelling way.

Going by Pearl's interest and mannerisms, it actually makes a lot of sense that pearl type gems are just supposed to be pretty little servants rather than mechanics or fighters. I mean...why would you make your mechanic class a bunch of graceful wispy ballerinas??

Toxi

Banned
You gotta wonder how much it stung Peridot when Pearl dropped a Gem Incubator on her back in "Keeping it Together".

Holy moly.
That episode was just fantastic.
That lore bomb was pretty amazing, and I'm glad it was worked into the storytelling in a compelling way.

Going by Pearl's interest and mannerisms, it actually makes a lot of sense that pearl type gems are just supposed to be pretty little servants rather than mechanics or fighters. I mean...why would you make your mechanic class a bunch of graceful wispy ballerinas??

To be completely fair we didn't really have confirmation that
All possible pearls were basically the same thing

How do names on homeworld work?
"Hi, Peridot, how are you?" "Oh, I'm fine, Peridot. You know Pearl, right? She gave Pearl a Pearl that belonged to Peridot." "Fascinating, Peridot."

So confusing.

That was a great episode, in both advancing the plot AND having a side story that fits in the silly/fun SU vein. Might be the best so far in this recent batch of new episodes.

Had a lot of laugh out loud moments for me,
like the tree getting a point, the art competition getting a score of "subjective" and the "Giant robots shouldn't fight!" line.

EDIT: Funny, but spoilers if you haven't watched the episode yet: http://41.media.tumblr.com/cadab9d75f17fb5162151479812aa104/tumblr_nvxdinTFU21tk8ivso1_1280.png

PSqueak

Banned
How do names on homeworld work?
"Hi, Peridot, how are you?" "Oh, I'm fine, Peridot. You know Pearl, right? She gave Pearl a Pearl that belonged to Peridot." "Fascinating, Peridot."

So confusing.

I think Rose alluded to this in the lion 3 episode, she mentions that humans where special because each human lives a unique life, while it's very likely that gems of the same type are threated like the same unit.

That or there is a smurf/gargoyles thing going on.

KiN0

To be Fair, it's possible that Garnet still hasn't entirely kicked out the old homeworld customs (that are not related to fusing) and Amethyst has been on the recieving end of that sort of talk precisely comming from Pearl, if anything, while Peridot was insensitive about it (but understandably, since she doesn't know better) it's actually satisfying to see Pearl get dealt with the same bullshit she has dealt to Amethyst, who we know felt less than the other gems from that sort of attitude.

Additionally, Peridot seemingly was projecting because it's obvious she's also a the bottom tier of the hierarchy to the point that she thinks the idea of owning her own pearl would be scandalous.

Isn't this the opposite way around. Pearl was oblivious to Ame's feelings because she never considered her to be like the other earth gems. Peridot on the other hand was trying to be condescending and hurtful.

PSqueak

Banned
Isn't this the opposite way around. Pearl was oblivious to Ame's feelings because she never considered her to be like the other earth gems. Peridot on the other hand was trying to be condescending and hurtful.

I always felt she spoke of Amethyst like she was something lower than her, hell, her reaction to Garnet's joke ("we kept amethyst") kinda makes it evident, let's not forget that Pearl also has a less than favorable image of humans, not unlike Peridot's tirade, remember the stuff she told Greg in that flash back episode?

Hell, even in her bit of the extended intro, Pearl states that she fights for what Rose told her to fight for, she tried to escape Earth once because she couldn't stand it, she doesn't really care about humans, it's not different (or perhaps even worse) than what Peridot said.

KiN0

I always felt she spoke of Amethyst like she was something lower than her, hell, her reaction to Garnet's joke ("we kept amethyst") kinda makes it evident, let's not forget that Pearl also has a less than favorable image of humans, not unlike Peridot's tirade, remember the stuff she told Greg in that flash back episode?

Hell, even in her bit of the extended intro, Pearl states that she fights for what Rose told her to fight for, she tried to escape Earth once because she couldn't stand it, she doesn't really care about humans, it's not different (or perhaps even worse) than what Peridot said.

I agree with you on Pearl's opinion of humans, but I don't think she has any kind of classist prejudice against Amethyst.

Her "superiority" comes from the fact that she gets things done while Amethyst is mostly just lazy. It's a classic hard-worker vs slacker relationship.

... Wut?

No, if anything GARNET was the one who shit talks Amy and treats her as an animal.
She made that joke about "keeping Amy", SHE WHISTLES to get Amy to come over for food (cookies) like a dog and tells her to slow down like you would a dog, she throws sticks to get her to go away and she tells her when to fuse even if she doesn't want to.

Pearl doesn't shit talk Amy, she talks poorly about the Kindergarten and is oblivious to the fact that Amy takes that personally because, in her mind, she always thought that Amy was proud to not be like the others who popped out (to be the only good thing to come out of that).

Pearl's never treated Amy as less than anything, she helped raise her and she seemed to look after her when Garnet and Rose went out on missions.

Doesn't matter what you felt, if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen.

BBboy20

Finally, now I might actually have to buy some of those vinyl Funko figures.

same reason we don't get black widow in any marvel stuff.
"boys don't want to play with girl figures"
they are to much like barbies, boys only want to play with action figures which are male, and girls don't buy anything but barbie and american girl.

btw not my condensending personal views, but is actually what I recall reading in regards to black widow figures.
yeah, Marvel and Disney has some screwed-up view points of that. I personally noticed that when I noticed Gamora was missing in a lot of Guardians of the Galaxy products.

Raxus

It is nice we are having all these lore bombs but you know who I miss?

Greg. It has been forever since we saw him last.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I love how much peridot is a vegeta type character. Those DBZ abridged dubs are going to be great once they add this new material.

Alien lol

Edit: Slavery exists on gem world confirmed

I think its more like a strict Cast system similar to the society in A Brave New World.

Every Gem seems to be made to fulfill a role in Gem Society. It also sheds new light on Roses rebellion and The Gems the chose to fight with her. All of the current Crystal gems seem to be the "odd Balls" of Gem society.

Rose because she seem to value biological Life as much at Gem/silicon life. Ruby and Sapphire relationship and Garnets existence it's self probaly wouldn't be allowed on home world. Pearl probaly wanted to be something other and greater then what she was made for.

edit: It also makes her words "At the end of the day, I'm just a Pearl. I need someone to tell me what to do" a bit more heart breaking.

Crayolan

Pearl
punching Peridot
was the best part of the episode. I also like how Pearl looked like
a fainted pokemon when her robot got beat up.

Amethyst needs to show Steven
Megas XLR
cause it's clear who's seen it and who hasn't. :p

A little too slice of lifey, but it was cool finally getting confirmation of Pearls being manufactured servants on Homeworld, and Peridot seems to be another class of being as well.

Having said that, the Gems are a little too laissez faire about Peridot. It feels like they've already accepted her into the fold even though she's spent the better part of the season trying to kill them.

Without her limb enhancers I don't think they see Peridot as a threat at all. Plus Steven trusts her and that's typically enough for them.

Steven Universe at its best!!! This episode was everything. It was funny, it had great character development, lore was revealed,and the plot was advanced, even if slightly. This Peridot/Cluster arc has been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom