• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of Gods and Men [Mafia] | Ambrosia In Front Of Me

Darryl

Banned
It's not. It's the best way to handle this stupid day 1 nonsense. We minimalize casulties and give Darryl a chance to die tonight.

---

Apart from that: Sophia tries to paint me as a scum coaster avoiding conflict. If anything I'm scum searching the conflict.

So what is your ideal scenario: we no lynch, me (town pr) dies tonight, and tomorrow what? Everything is going to be so much clearer?

Sophia

I'm not feeling a no lynch right now, honestly. I can see why people would consider it given the Gods mechanic tho.

Swamped

Banned
Swamped I wasn't serious about the jesus comment, it was a funny thought I had.

Now, Seath is weird. Sophia pointed out the many assumptions he makes. Suprisingly she resumes with Seath leaving the impression of hidden knowledge. That's exactly what I'd say about her.

Regarding the Jesus comment - ok I guess. It just felt kind of serious. Can you elaborate what you meant here about Sophia? Unless I missed that post, in which case link me. All I've seen is your defense against Sophia's argument.

Regarding Gorlak in general - I'm not convinced he's scum. He's trying to drum up discussion, to the point of making himself suspicious.

Negative, ghost rider. I was joking. I said after I don't expect to see any classic Greek role names since we have custom characters in the flavor and the sample role PM is a pretty dry "ordinary villager."

Speaking of going overboard, saying things like "peresperos vibes" is confusing. My conclusions are not at all drawn from flavor. They're coming from the actual game and if it happens to align flavor-wise i don't see any harm in mentioning it.

I'm not sure what you find confusing. I said that I'm getting scum vibes from you. You do have a post saying that you'll back off from referring to flavor too much. I'll keep an open mind about you, but it could have been a knee-jerk reaction to the previous posts you made that flavor arguments.

I don't believe for a second his vote was actually RNG, but in the off-chance I'm wrong and that's hilarious
ly stupid
and see yukikolaughing.gif.

I think this is a very odd reaction to an RNG vote. Why are you so adamant that it was not RNG? I didn't get that sense at all from L_P's vote.

I still have my vote on Star, and so far she is a null read for me. I really think FEP could be scum though, so

VOTE: flatearthpandas

I'm not feeling a no lynch right now, honestly. I can see why people would consider it given the Gods mechanic tho.

Well considering we don't know what trying to lynch a god will do I'm not that concerned about lynching any more than any other game since being afraid won't change anything. I only see two results anyways, the last post to put a vote on a god will be lynched or as other people have said, the person with the second most votes will be voted out instead.

Also, I hope you all realize that two players are gods. They cannot be day voted (lynched).

Ok, I know sometimes I tunnel and can be wrong. So can i get others thoughts on this statement?

They way it's worded reads weird to me. He worded it in a way like he is giving us new information. Like Ynnny didn't open the day with that information. Even if I reading that wrong, there is still the other part.

His second sentence, "They cannot be day voted (lynched). " is weird wording as well. So he isnt getting that from what Ynnny posted in this thread. Ynnny never says they can't be day voted. She says they can be voted on, just not lynched.

Am I reading too much into this?

*Splinter

Ok, I know sometimes I tunnel and can be wrong. So can i get others thoughts on this statement?

They way it's worded reads weird to me. He worded it in a way like he is giving us new information. Like Ynnny didn't open the day with that information. Even if I reading that wrong, there is still the other part.

His second sentence, "They cannot be day voted (lynched). " is weird wording as well. So he isnt getting that from what Ynnny posted in this thread. Ynnny never says they can't be day voted. She says they can be voted on, just not lynched.

The last bit, about can't be day voted vs can't be lynched, I think you are reading too much into. We know they can be voted on (otherwise we'd know who they are) so it's just poor wording from Seath.

On the rest of it you aren't wrong though. It does read weird, especially when Seath said he had missed a post by ynnny - I had to double check to see if his story even added up then. To be honest I give Seath a bit too much of a pass for weirdness, but yes I've been wondering if he's a god.

Swamped

Banned

He's certainly making some very absolute statements, but to me it sounds like Seath is just paraphrasing what was said at Day Start. The stranger part is that he missed ynnny's post after you quoted it asking him about it (that something special will happen if a god is the vote leader). I guess there are a few options:

1. He's town - and Seath is speculating because there's very little else to go on
2. He's scum - but then why would he volunteer 'information' so freely?
3. He's a god - in which case this line of questioning is useless to us. Even if he's Persi, not like there's much we can do about it.

I've been leaning towards 1.

It's weird because it sort of does read as if it could be new information, but if you didn't realise that it was public, it's something that you'd be a lot more careful about revealing, rather than just dropping it like that on day 1. I could just read it as a reminder that was worded in an odd way.

I don't know how some players get such seemingly strong reads from so few posts. The only action that has stood out enough to me for me to read is Darryl's PR claim. I'm not sure that I like that move. Seemed a little quick on the draw for no good reason.

Vote:Darryl

Sophia

He's certainly making some very absolute statements, but to me it sounds like Seath is just paraphrasing what was said at Day Start. The stranger part is that he missed ynnny's post after you quoted it asking him about it (that something special will happen if a god is the vote leader). I guess there are a few options:

1. He's town - and Seath is speculating because there's very little else to go on
2. He's scum - but then why would he volunteer 'information' so freely?
3. He's a god - in which case this line of questioning is useless to us. Even if he's Persi, not like there's much we can do about it.

I've been leaning towards 1.

To be fair, he said this himself, that he had very little to go on.

All my reads are null at this point but Sophia does make a strong case against Gorlak

I find it interesting that Seath made no particular attempt to argue a case for or against Gorlak, and merely just said he had a strong case for it. Do you still feel this way after seeing what Gorlak said, Seath?

Unvote

Sophia

I find it interesting that Seath made no particular attempt to argue a case for or against Gorlak, and merely just said he had a strong case for it. Do you still feel this way after seeing what Gorlak said, Seath?

Excuse me, that should be "and merely just said I had a strong case for it."

I'm out of it today x_X;

Darryl

Banned
I don't know how some players get such seemingly strong reads from so few posts. The only action that has stood out enough to me for me to read is Darryl's PR claim. I'm not sure that I like that move. Seemed a little quick on the draw for no good reason.

Vote:Darryl

Well if I'm a scum PR, do you think I would pull off the argument I made against Splinter/Gorlak/FEP? Could a scum PR confidently make a sweeping statement over the titles of all town PR roles like that without first hand knowledge?

Well if I'm a scum PR, do you think I would pull off the argument I made against Splinter/Gorlak/FEP? Could a scum PR confidently make a sweeping statement over the titles of all town PR roles like that without first hand knowledge?

What, were you said that town PRs were likely just called "Blacksmith" or "Doctor". I don't see how that makes you town necessarily. A scum could make that guess based on the flavor, or even possibly on their own PM since we don't know what's in there, and we'll have to see if PRs are actually labeled like that.

If you were scum and aware of how, town power role PMs were formatted, this could be a gambit to "confirm" yourself as town. Or you could be guessing. You mentioned that there's been a game when only scum PR's were named, but is it really that common for town/scum PR's to have a different format?

The most likely answer is that you're a town PR, but I certainly wouldn't take you as confirmed town.

*Splinter

What, were you said that town PRs were likely just called "Blacksmith" or "Doctor". I don't see how that makes you town necessarily. A scum could make that guess based on the flavor, or even possibly on their own PM since we don't know what's in there, and we'll have to see if PRs are actually labeled like that.
The statement is much riskier if he's scum though. It certainly could be a guess, and he's by no means "confirmed" by this, but for now I'm thinking he's a town PR.

*Splinter

Although, for the record, that's a high risk high reward play that you totally "could" have made. Especially if scum have more info than we are assuming (this is a thing that happened in Love Boat).

*Splinter

I finally get to check in and this is what I see. How rude!

give it another 24 hours I'll probably do something stupid by then
Are you gonna make me wait the entire 24 hours? :(

But seriously you haven't actually said anything about the game yet. Time to shine, the stage is yours, etc etc

Finally did some googling. To zero surprise, I find that peripseros and komena are also invented by flavor. So there's really no cause to find me or Gorlak scum for mentioning Jesus and Sisyphus. I'm not saying we're cleared as komenists, but that exchange doesn't clear or damn anyone imo, including Darryl who's trying to prop himself up with it somehow.

I still have my vote on Star, and so far she is a null read for me. I really think FEP could be scum though, so

VOTE: flatearthpandas
Anything better than vibes for me to respond to or is that what we're rolling with?

*Splinter

Finally did some googling. To zero surprise, I find that peripseros and komena are also invented by flavor. So there's really no cause to find me or Gorlak scum for mentioning Jesus and Sisyphus. I'm not saying we're cleared as komenists, but that exchange doesn't clear or damn anyone imo, including Darryl who's trying to prop himself up with it somehow.

Anything better than vibes for me to respond to or is that what we're rolling with?
Can you reread the last 10 posts and give me your thoughts on Darryl?

Kevyt

Yes you are. I was paraphrasing what Yenny said! I read the words in red and my thing is that I hope we realize the implications of having two players who are gods.

To be fair, he said this himself, that he had very little to go on.

Unvote

I thought you had a strong case for him, I still do, given that it's day 1 and yes all my reads are null at this point.

My strategy revolves around looking at how others vote and react to bandwagons.

Kevyt

Pretty much this. I was jus speculating. Perhaps many find it weird, but I think I made some good assumptions and speculations.

Are you gonna make me wait the entire 24 hours? :(

But seriously you haven't actually said anything about the game yet. Time to shine, the stage is yours, etc etc

Sorry, I've been out and about all day and I'm only just now settling down to really think about things. Going to probably re-read the thread again, because Darryl apparently roleclaimed and I totally missed it.

I agree on the point that Seath might know something more than they should...assuming they're a god, though we don't know which god. As for the not getting killed part, this probably just means we have a specific god killing role power floating around. However, the possibility of something bad happening if we try to lynch a god is really sticking out in my mind. My guess is that another player dies instead but I don't know how that would be determined aside from randomizer which sounds like bad balance to me?

Darryl's argument was whether the roles have names at all. If you weren't aware of the fluff being entirely fictional at the time of that comment, then this shouldn't clear you.

Kevyt

Sorry, I've been out and about all day and I'm only just now settling down to really think about things. Going to probably re-read the thread again, because Darryl apparently roleclaimed and I totally missed it.

I agree on the point that Seath might know something more than they should...assuming they're a god, though we don't know which god. As for the not getting killed part, this probably just means we have a specific god killing role power floating around. However, the possibility of something bad happening if we try to lynch a god is really sticking out in my mind. My guess is that another player dies instead but I don't know how that would be determined aside from randomizer which sounds like bad balance to me?

I am not a god.

I hope no one role claims godhood, hoping to draw out our Komena (I can honestly see scum doing this).

I am not a god.
I hope no one role claims godhood, hoping to draw out our Komena (I can honestly see scum doing this).

comeon.png

There could be a problem with that though, how could we believe the real Kome? What if each side has a god killer and Persi claims to be Kome in order to draw the real Kome out? Mafia would know Persi's plan so would know which Kome to kill if they counterclaimed.

Can you reread the last 10 posts and give me your thoughts on Darryl?
I think it's more likely he's telling the truth but he certainly still could be scum. There's no grand leaps of logic involved in the assumption.

Darryl's argument was whether the roles have names at all. If you weren't aware of the fluff being entirely fictional at the time of that comment, then this shouldn't clear you.
I can't quote myself because I'm on mobile but this is just a few posts down from my making the Sisyphus comment.

https://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=199603132
feps said:
My impression is that this is inspired by ancient Greece but not necessarily based off of it. Haven't googled anything but with the flavor characters clearly based off of Royal and Ynny, I'm not actually expecting a Sisyphus or anything. Caught my eye as a weird thing to say all the same.
Take from it what you will but I at no time actually thought there was a Sisyphus. All I even said is that I would have gone with Sisyphus if I was going to call breadcrumbs, in response to what I thought was Gorlak making a joke about Jesus. From before the game actually started, from the opening post of the thread, we should have all been fairly aware the fluff was the invention of our moderators.

This is straightforward stuff.

Darryl

Banned
I only brought it up as a way of getting more details out of someone who placed a lazy vote. I'm not trying to prop myself up. Just really makes me want to double-down on flatearthpandas tho. He is somehow getting himself in the center of all my red flag zones, consistently.

Swamped

Banned

The whole Sisyphus thing was not the reason I got suspicious of you. It was a joke (although I saw it as a sign that you believed that Darryl was breadcrumbing). I'm suspicious because I haven't seen you actually Scum hunt. Most of your posts are defensive (I hate when people say 'reactionary', means something totally different to what they think lol), or mechanics speculation laden with flavor (I know, you've addressed this). So I guess it's the general attitude I'm seeing from you. You questioned Darryl and Seath briefly, but it felt very 'on-the-surface'.

Who are your top scum?

Darryl

Banned

What exactly is your reasoning for me being scum then?

The whole Sisyphus thing was not the reason I got suspicious of you. It was a joke (although I saw it as a sign that you believed that Darryl was breadcrumbing). I'm suspicious because I haven't seen you actually Scum hunt. Most of your posts are defensive (I hate when people say 'reactionary', means something totally different to what they think lol), or mechanics speculation laden with flavor (I know, you've addressed this). So I guess it's the general attitude I'm seeing from you. You questioned Darryl and Seath briefly, but it felt very 'on-the-surface'.

Who are your top scum?
I'm in the crap shoot day 1 team, honestly. I think the value comes only later in the game in reflection. There is not much honest to god scum hunting to be done imo.

With that said,
Gorlak
Starsketch
Lone Prodigy.

Not a fan of prod votes as they are toothless and muddy up vote tracking, and Gorlak has been tossing his around pretty uselessly.
Star and LP are just suspiciously quiet, especially for an already shortened day one, and being vet players.

Someone made a point earlier that the two gods among us might not actually be the ones in the flavor...that said why bring them up if that's not the case? Just from a writing standpoint, decoy informational bits like that don't make any sense.

Someone made a point earlier that the two gods among us might not actually be the ones in the flavor...that said why bring them up if that's not the case? Just from a writing standpoint, decoy informational bits like that don't make any sense.
If they did, they were completely erroneous in doing so. The flavor specifically says it is the ones in the flavor.
flavor said:
"Oh, and one last thing", Yena continued as if nothing happened, "Komena and Peripseros themselves are among you, each bestowing the body of one of your fellow citizen."

If they did, they were completely erroneous in doing so. The flavor specifically says it is the ones in the flavor.

They might have skimmed over that part. I don't think there's any reason to intentionally misinform on the first day... people are going to catch you.

Also I am in favor of a day 1 lynch.

It's hilarious that in the last game I played (disney princesses) both Seath and Darryl were my number one suspects and this game... its looking to be same thing. Those posting styles draw a lot of attention. Darryl claiming to be a town power role right now is strange... could be a bunch of reasons for it and for what its worth I think would be a too dangerous of a play for a scum. This makes me lean towards him telling the truth.

*splinter is giving me the most scummy vibes right now. He's directing the conversation, asking a lot of questions etc... might be trying to draw attention away form himself and looking for an opening to implicate someone.

Giant Panda as well for immediately voting for Darryl. If Darryl is telling the truth panda's post is a typical scum bandwagon vote post.

I won't vote for anyone just yet... want to see how the discussion continues.

CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

Darryl (2)
Gorlak .103 .160
*Splinter .120
Giant Panda .261

No Lynch (1)
Gorlak .218

flatearthpandas (1)
Swamped .254

Sophia (1)
Lone_Prodigy .81

CrimsonFist (1)
Darryl .80

Seath (1)
EzekelRAGE .229

Lone_Prodigy (1)
*Splinter .115 .120
CrimsonFist .138

fengshuifever (0)
Gorlak .160 .180

Gorlak (0)
Sophia .221 .262

WhereAreMahDragonz (0)
Gorlak .180 .218

StarSketch (0)
Swamped .85 .254

Zippedpinhead (0)
Sophia .70 .179

*Splinter (0)
Gorlak .101 .103

No active vote for Day 1:
fengshuifever
flatearthpandas
Freakinchair
Kyanrute
OceanicAir
Seath
Sophia (has previously voted)
StarSketch
WhereAreMahDragonz
Zippedpinhead

Day 1 ends:
tur_1459461600.png

10 votes for majority

Votes are always available up to date at http://rfnx.ddns.net/mafia/1201486.html

Okay so after reading the thread (and then passing out for like four hours), the only things I can safely say are:

1, Darryl is obviously suspicious, but why would he bother to out himself so early? He must've known that claiming that he has a PR is the mafia equlvialent of painting a huge bullseye on your back.

2. Seath still seems...weird to me. I don't know if he just missed the post or whatever, but his questions and line of thinking are oddly specific and it sounds as though he keeps claiming facts that are speculation at this point to be true. It's just the vibe I'm getting. Either he's honest to goodness just silly (love you <3) or he's trying to fact drop stuff in an attempt to lead us down one line of questioning or another. But if this is the case...why?

3. As for who's scum....there are a few that immediately stand out to me, like *Splinter and Sophia, but since I'm new, I don't know if that's just how they play or something more. And it's nothing hugely specific, either. Just little odds and ends here that give me a super shady vibe. It just feels like they're playing a thin line between being aggressive just enough, and then backing off when they've got heat on them. Same could be said for Gorlak, too.

*Splinter

They might have skimmed over that part. I don't think there's any reason to intentionally misinform on the first day... people are going to catch you.

Also I am in favor of a day 1 lynch.

It's hilarious that in the last game I played (disney princesses) both Seath and Darryl were my number one suspects and this game... its looking to be same thing. Those posting styles draw a lot of attention. Darryl claiming to be a town power role right now is strange... could be a bunch of reasons for it and for what its worth I think would be a too dangerous of a play for a scum. This makes me lean towards him telling the truth.

*splinter is giving me the most scummy vibes right now. He's directing the conversation, asking a lot of questions etc... might be trying to draw attention away form himself and looking for an opening to implicate someone.

Giant Panda as well for immediately voting for Darryl. If Darryl is telling the truth panda's post is a typical scum bandwagon vote post.

I won't vote for anyone just yet... want to see how the discussion continues.
Well, I am looking for an opening to be fair, I don't expect the scum to out themselves for free.
Okay so after reading the thread (and then passing out for like four hours), the only things I can safely say are:

1, Darryl is obviously suspicious, but why would he bother to out himself so early? He must've known that claiming that he has a PR is the mafia equlvialent of painting a huge bullseye on your back.

2. Seath still seems...weird to me. I don't know if he just missed the post or whatever, but his questions and line of thinking are oddly specific and it sounds as though he keeps claiming facts that are speculation at this point to be true. It's just the vibe I'm getting. Either he's honest to goodness just silly (love you <3) or he's trying to fact drop stuff in an attempt to lead us down one line of questioning or another. But if this is the case...why?

3. As for who's scum....there are a few that immediately stand out to me, like *Splinter and Sophia, but since I'm new, I don't know if that's just how they play or something more. And it's nothing hugely specific, either. Just little odds and ends here that give me a super shady vibe. It just feels like they're playing a thin line between being aggressive just enough, and then backing off when they've got heat on them. Same could be said for Gorlak, too.
Most of this seems like very safe repeats of majority opinions, I don't remember much real attention on Sophia though so that stands out. Could you elaborate on your suspicion of her?

Internet access is sporadic for the next few days, sorry.

Hard to look at players in a vacuum without referencing known playstyles. It's unfair to draw conclusions about someone when others don't have the same luxury or drawback. Are they always this scummy or is it just how they are? The important question is whether they're misleading town or genuinely helping us root out scum.

Unvote

I asked my brother to pick a number between 1 and 18.

Did Splinter forget how to multiquote, or is he just splintering his posts?

*Splinter

Internet access is sporadic for the next few days, sorry.

Hard to look at players in a vacuum without referencing known playstyles. It's unfair to draw conclusions about someone when others don't have the same luxury or drawback. Are they always this scummy or is it just how they are? The important question is whether they're misleading town or genuinely helping us root out scum.

Unvote

I asked my brother to pick a number between 1 and 18.

Did Splinter forget how to multiquote, or is he just splintering his posts?
Mobile user

Most of this seems like very safe repeats of majority opinions, I don't remember much real attention on Sophia though so that stands out. Could you elaborate on your suspicion of her?

What really rustles my jimmies is post #221, in which she calls out Gorlak. I understand that the name of the game is mud-slinging, essentially, and to call someone out and sow the seeds of dissent is what scum normally live for. It's what's been going on in here, and normally I wouldn't have found it odd, but after rereading her post, all the things she calls Gorlak out on are, for the most part, very minor. He threw around votes without care, antagonized literally everyone without focusing on one particular subject or argument, and was just generally reckless. He went for easy jabs and easy targets, like at myself, just to rustle feathers.

But it's only day one, so why would all these careless and so very minor nuances matter? It's not like any of what he did had a major effect on the game. And it's also doubtful that he would intentionally put himself in someone's crosshairs this early.

But, it's an opportunity for someone to start to cast doubt, very subtly, and that's what Sophia did. Since then she's backed off, which is also fishy. Everyone else, at least, is consistent in defending themselves and their arguments. Hardly anyone else called him out as intensely and laser-focused as she did, which also brings me to assume that many of you, being experienced in the ways of the game, consider Gorlak's behavior to either be normal for him as a player, but also, a normal pattern for the early game.

I'm sorry if this is worded poorly. It's 1:30 and I've been an on and off zombie since 6pm yesterday.

Darryl

Banned
I do think Gorlak is leaning scum. I'll even change my vote. I don't play with him regularly. Just get the most unnerved reading his posts.

Vote: Gorlak

Darryl

Banned
A lot of his behavior has no motivation I can read yet. Which Sophia brings up a lot in her own way. It's coming off really facetious. It's still early and it isn't like there's a lot of stuff to discuss, but overall I would be most comfortable with that lynch.

*Splinter

I like a Gorlak lynch, I've been wrong about him before but that's literally the only thing slowing me down there.

I also think FEPS is a good choice. Swamped had a good post on him earlier, and all I can remember from him is the breadcrumb stuff and a lot of self defense. I also think this post is important but I can't decide how I feel about it. He is immediately backing off from his Darryl suspicion after I pushed him on it, which is fairly scummy, but on the other hand if he stuck to his guns he'd be against a likely town PR backed up by some fairly solid logic, which would probably have looked even worse.

Also, Zippedpinhead is apparently in this game.

Those are my top 3 for now

Bonus mention to Swamped. This is a null read, even though her posts have seemed fairly townie by themselves. The thing is I've been trying to give everyone at least a tickle so far, but she has somehow completely avoided my attention. Neither inactive nor omnipresent, safe nor inflammatory. It could be a coincidence at this stage but she's sat firmly in my blind spot.

Same goes for Crimson now I think about.

I've been waiting for the inactive to show up. Freak and Dragonz have made ok first posts. I feel slightly better on freak, but to Dragonz credit she did elaborate on her Sophia read (even if I generally disagree). These both get light town reads for now.

Lone Prodigy still has nothing, and StarSketch doesn't have much more. These are null until I get some more from them, but right now I wouldn't oppose a lynch on either.

Sophia/Darryl are my top town. Darryl for obvious reasons and Sophia is more on gut I guess. Only thing I didn't like was how easily she backed off of Gorlak, but she said she's investigating someone else so hopefully we'll see that soon.

Feng was posting earlier in the day but to be honest I've mostly forgotten, will have to go and reread his posts.

Aaaand that turned into a reads list. Now to see who else I've forgotten.

*Splinter

Ok I forgot Zeke, Panda, Ocean, Kyan and Seath.

Actually I'm OK with that, none of these are hidden they're just my light town reads that I'm not currently super interested in.

Top Bottom