• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Your Underrated Album?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLynn

MI0002774817.jpg

51YKeXcJuWL.jpg

Elvis Costello - Mighty Like a Rose

I've heard some critics call it one of his worst albums, when there are several top-notch songs on it, including fruits from his collab with McCartney.

amanset

Pink Floyd - Soundtrack to More (1969)

More was a film that almost no one remembers. More was the first full album released with no Syd Barrett influence. It exists in a hole, along with the highly experimental Ummagumma, between Syd era and the long jam albums that predated the Waters-led concept album era.

No one seems to rate it except me. It is my favourite Floyd album. There's some outstanding stuff, from the proto-hard rock of "Ibiza Bar" and "The Nile Song", through "Green is the Colour" and "Cymbaline" (both live favourites of the era, the latter of which often extended from the 5 minute album track to 12 minutes or so) to the likes of "Main Theme", which with a bit stronger bass drum wouldn't sound out of place in 90s techno clubs.

Such variety and yet hardly anyone listens to it.

Ibiza Bar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJAt3NjGa-M
Main Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmtK1X-5OgE
Cymbaline live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0PBkZu3fkE

GamerJM

Banned
I don't know how underrated it is but Anamanaguchi-Endless Fantasy is a top 5 of all-time album for me and I haven't seen anyone talk about it since around release (where reception was pretty good).

The Widget

Neo Member
'Actor', by St. Vincent. It was acclaimed back when it was released, for sure, but I think her following albums (particularly 'Strange Mercy') overshadowed it in critics' circles. And those are great. But 'Actor' still speaks so sweetly to my baroque interests. I'd almost call it masterful.

St._Vincent_-_Actor.jpg

Steamlord

Quickspace - Precious Falling

They never got the attention they deserved. All three of their albums are great but this is their best in my opinion.

I also considered posting Sweet Trip - Velocity : Design : Comfort and Insides - Euphoria

kmag

Zooropa_album.jpg

An underrated gem from U2's best period (91-93). Ok it's only 10 tracks long, and two of those tracks are poor (Babyface and Some Days are better than others) and they dropped Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me off it because it had too much guitar in it and they didn't think it would fit but the title track, Numb, Lemon, Stay, Dirty Day and the First Time are excellent tracks.

Lagwagon - Hang

Most people don't know punk/metal/pop hybrid band Lagwagon and if they do, it seems they're more familiar with their 90s albums like Let's Talk About Feelings (which has the awesome May 16 from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2). This sadly means that a lot of people are unaware of what is genuinely one of the greatest punk/rock/metal/whatever albums ever written, 2014's Hang.

It's weird that a band that has been around since the late 80s put put what is by far their best album around 25 years into their career but they did and it fucking slays. If they didn't stay true to their roots on a small independent label this album would have been massive.

It's an album with the overarching themes of death, extinction and humanity losing its empathy and it is just perfect. Beautiful music and moving, personal lyrics with some badass riffs and killer drumming. For a bunch of 50 year old dudes they still kick ass and it is one of my all time favourite albums.

Check out Obsolete Absolute,Western Settlements and Reign. So good.
Thank you for this, I'll check this out. I've never heard of this album, but Hoss was fantastic.

Lagwagon_hoss.jpg

Zimbardo

Pink Floyd - 'Animals' is friggin amazing. one of the best albums i ever heard.

i often see it being referred to as underrated, and it was apparently not all that well received by critics when it was first released ...so i guess i'll go with that one.

mnannola

Russian Circles - Enter

Their first major album, and I think it gets overlooked for their newer stuff. To me this is still their best album, it's just pure raw energy all the way through. The title track rhythm gets stuck in my head weeks after listening to it.

Tori Amos: From the Choirgirl Hotel
FromTheChoirgirl.jpg

Pearl Jam: No Code
PearlJam-NoCode.jpg

Also, Yield is underrated, despite having the worst opening track (Brain of J) of any of their albums.

Autopilot_off_make_a_sound.jpg

Really fun, energetic punk album with a ton of diverse hits that never stray too far from their sound. it's a shame they never followed it up. Though be warned, it's a VERY 2004 album.

yeahhhhhhhh buddy

Mr._Lif_-_Emergency_Rations.jpg

compared to all the other fantastic rappers that have popped up from the Definitive Jux imprint, this little EP is still my favorite out of all of them, beating out such underground titans like Cannibal Ox's The Cold Vein or EL-P's Fantastic Damage. Mr. Lif's socially conscious rapping, coupled with an infectious, unified sound. And it leads perfectly to the next underrated album I have....

a1389278915_16.jpg

Black Dialogue by The Perceptionists. A collab group between Lif, Fakts One and Akrobatik, it once again drives home a politically important message on black culture, war, and living life.

More was a film that almost no one remembers. More was the first full album released with no Syd Barrett influence. It exists in a hole, along with the highly experimental Ummagumma, between Syd era and the long jam albums that predated the Waters-led concept album era.

No one seems to rate it except me. It is my favourite Floyd album. There's some outstanding stuff, from the proto-hard rock of "Ibiza Bar" and "The Nile Song", through "Green is the Colour" and "Cymbaline" (both live favourites of the era, the latter of which often extended from the 5 minute album track to 12 minutes or so) to the likes of "Main Theme", which with a bit stronger bass drum wouldn't sound out of place in 90s techno clubs.

Hell yeah man! "Cymbaline" is one of my favorite Floyd tracks. Honestly the whole pre- Dark Side era of Floyd is vastly underrated and my favorite era of Floyd. Obscured by Clouds is another great album and Atom Heart Mother as well. Would love it if they released some deep cuts, demos, outtakes from this era.

terrible

Banned
tumblr_m7342jkCmF1radabho1_1280.jpg

The heyday was over, the fall from grace was written about, the well received ish 'Dont Believe the Truth' had been and gone and this swansong from Oasis is barely mentioned.

Falling Down, The Turning (especially the alt Noel version), a barnstorming Bag It Up, The Shock Of The Lightning and generally the whole album flows well.

Sure it won't convert people but it was an exceptionally solid body of work and if released by a bunch of unknowns would have been heralded as the start of something special.

I'd go with Heathen Chemistry myself. It's often considered their worst album but I'd probably slot it into #3-4 for Oasis albums.

I stopped listening to Manchester orchestra after METN but those first two albums hold a special place in my heart. I'll give simple math a try.

kris.

Banned
i like Simple Math well enough, but nothing they do will ever beat METN imo

my pick would have to be (just because they started playing shows together again)

51KMZ6Y9V6L.jpg

the ergs! - dorkrockcorkrod

happy sad pop punk about being lonely and sad all the time

Really fun, energetic punk album with a ton of diverse hits that never stray too far from their sound. it's a shame they never followed it up. Though be warned, it's a VERY 2004 album.

my man! one of the burnout games had the title track on it and that song is the shit. great album.

Most people seem to be oblivious to Syd Barrett's solo albums, even Pink Floyd fans.
I love them to bits.

I wouldn't call them underrated though.
Sydbarrett-madcaplaughs.jpg

ActWan

620566fc.jpeg

Even fans of the band didn't really like it (it's a REALLY weird album), but I dig it
Same with Government Plates

Lots of albums come to mind for me. All of these are classics as far as I'm concerned:

I don't think the general reception matches my love for these albums.

Oh, and I'm liking the Lagwagon mentions. Hoss is the best. :D

Combat Rock took years for me to comprehend and understand but now it's one of my favourites. Songs I used to hate like Red Angel Dragnet, Know Your Rights and Atom Tan are awesome looking back. Straight to Hell is also one of the most beautiful songs ever written (but I always liked that one). That Osker album rules too.

As for Lagwagon, check out the new one (Hang) if you haven't. By far their best album, and I say this as a die-hard Hoss lover. In Your Wake is one of the best closers I've ever heard. Perfect mixture of Lagwagon's punk, metal and pop influences with some phenomenal lyrics.

Zach

Combat Rock took years for me to comprehend and understand but now it's one of my favourites. Songs I used to hate like Red Angel Dragnet, Know Your Rights and Atom Tan are awesome looking back. Straight to Hell is also one of the most beautiful songs ever written (but I always liked that one). That Osker album rules too.

As for Lagwagon, check out the new one (Hang) if you haven't. By far their best album, and I say this as a die-hard Hoss lover. In Your Wake is one of the best closers I've ever heard. Perfect mixture of Lagwagon's punk, metal and pop influences with some phenomenal lyrics.

I'm actually not sure if I listened to it yet. I just added it on Amazon Music, though. :D

Ktg1973

Banned
a-ha_-_scoundrel_days_-_front.jpg

One of the best '80 albums, a perfect mix of dark substance and clean edged pop sensibility which makes for deep and addictive songs.

I have several:

God Lives Underwater - Life in the So-Called Space Age
Liars Inc. - Enemy
Midi Matilda - Red Light District
Calexico - Algiers
Born of Osiris- A Higher Place
Black Lab - Your Body Above Me
Earth Wind and Fire - Now, Then & Forever

SeanC

Adore is usually my go-to on this subject, but that's been mentioned so...

Bowie-lodger.jpg

Also just about anything from Nick Drake, Van Morrison or George Harrison. I never hear them brought up like ever. Pink Moon and Astral Weeks are two albums I listen to constantly.

Gnilres

After the DIsco by Broken Bells

After_The_Disco_Cover.jpg

I love this band but don't really know too many people that know them or like them.

not feeling these strings in mighty. I like this band when they're sparse or when they Rock the Fuck Out like on pride. thanks for the rec Kris.

Chuckl3s

Metallica's Load and Reload. I love these two albums because it doesn't sound "recorded" to me. Previous albums were awesome don't get me wrong but I feel like they were playing off of sheet music. Load/Reload felt like a true garage band. Four friends playing music feel.

One of my favorite Floyd albums. Good call

collige

Banned
I have two:
51EQYkR7RvL.jpg

Vex'd - Degenerate

Everyone likes to hype up Burial - Untrue as the crown jewel of dubstep, but this album right here is the real king. It's a perfect combination of early dubstep and instrumental grime with some heavy doses of industrial and dark ambient themes thrown in and helped paved the way for the aggressive style of dubstep that powered the fad earlier this decade. It's 11 years old, and hasn't aged a day. Vex'd broke up before finishing a follow up album, but ex-member Roly Porter ended up being an acclaimed ambient producer.

R-732517-1377871218-6806.jpeg.jpg

K-SHE - Routes not Roots

The best deep house album ever hands down. Terre Thaemlitz's other alias DJ Sprinkles generally gets more attention, but I've always thought that this album was superior to Midtown 120 Blues. It makes serious commentary about race, gender, and sexuality, and has the most upbeat track about AIDS ever made in Infected. Note: Above the the alternative album art. The original NSFW version is this.

Shaffield

Adore is usually my go-to on this subject, but that's been mentioned so...

Bowie-lodger.jpg

Also just about anything from Nick Drake, Van Morrison or George Harrison. I never hear them brought up like ever. Pink Moon and Astral Weeks are two albums I listen to constantly.

hell yeah, Lodger is definitely the most underrated Bowie album. overshadowed by Low and Heroes I guess. Scary Monsters is underrated too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMXfj3B7Y5A

kris.

Banned
not feeling these strings in mighty. I like this band when they're sparse or when they Rock the Fuck Out like on pride. thanks for the rec Kris.

ya, simple math is much more mellow shit (though the title track is probably in my top 3 favorite manchester songs), cope brings that bombastic rock n roll front and center. like i said, chunky riffs for days.

Menome

East India Youth - Total Strife Forever

Not just the Best Album of 2014™ but the best electronic album in years. As I said back in 2014:

This is an album that both stands as a shining example of modern electronica and a love-letter to the history of the genre. From the intense build-up and release of Hinterland that could easily slot into one of Daft Punk's live sets, to the austere sounds of Midnight Koto feeling like tribute to Bowie's Moss Garden from Heroes, it's everything electronica has been.

Yet it never feels stale nor does it sound stuck in the past. It's very much the sound of 2014, sweeping synth symphonies that are right at home on radio stations such as 6Music and an emotional core that's revealed in powerful songs such as Heaven, How Long or the delicately beautiful Song For A Granular Piano.

It's not only the best album of 2014; it's the first album in four years to earn itself a spot on my overall Top 20 Albums.

deli2000

Bark Psychosis - Hex (Post Rock)
51%2BbZY9kOJL.jpg

Songs Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co. (Indie/Alt Country)
magelecco.jpg

Miles Davis - Get Up With It (Jazz Fusion)
milesgetup.jpeg

Taylor McFerrin - Early Riser (Electronica)
Taylor_McFerrin_-_Early_Riser.jpg

gods+of+war.jpg

Manowar - Gods of War

I love this album, although I do understand why a lot of fans don't like it. There's constant breaks in the action with all he interludes and intros/outros, but I think the whole thing rules.

Pink Floyd - 'Animals' is friggin amazing. one of the best albums i ever heard.

i often see it being referred to as underrated, and it was apparently not all that well received by critics when it was first released ...so i guess i'll go with that one.
Animals is absolutely underrated when there are people who think The Wall is better than it. It is my favorite of the four albums between Dark Side and The Wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom