• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like his +2 and his -2, but his Ult is just.. why.

Because people are nuts for superfriends decks.

That's kinda weak for a 6 mana PW.

I think you're significantly underestimating the difference his ability costs make compared to Ob. +2 to draw what should be something like 1.5 cards on average means he's gonna get out of control really quickly, like Nahiri's +2 but with actual card advantage rather than just selection.

Also my husband's Jace costume:

Very nice. Did you dress up?

Nice! As a side note why does every girl dress as Chandra with Jace when Liliana is his love interest? Just curious.

Because most of Liliana's outfits are terrible.

Wulfric

Stop, I can only get so erect. Two Ajani cards in one day... <3

SAteRQ9.jpg

Ajani, Valorous Protector 4GW
+2 : Put two +1/+1 counters on up to one target creature.
+1 : Reveal the top cards on your library until a creature card is revealed. Put it into your hand and put other cards bottom of your library in random
-11 : Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature, X is equal to your life total. That creature gains trample until end of turn
<4>

From the Planeswalker deck I'm guessing. It's 185/184 after all.

Supast4r

Because people are nuts for superfriends decks.

I think you're significantly underestimating the difference his ability costs make compared to Ob. +2 to draw what should be something like 1.5 cards on average means he's gonna get out of control really quickly, like Nahiri's +2 but with actual card advantage rather than just selection.

Very nice. Did you dress up?

Because most of Liliana's outfits are terrible.
Don't talk shit about my Waifu

Stop, I can only get so erect. Two Ajani cards in one day... <3

Ajani, Valorous Protector 4GW
+2 : Put two +1/+1 counters on up to one target creature.
+1 : Reveal the top cards on your library until a creature card is revealed. Put it into your hand and put other cards bottom of your library in random
-11 : Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature, X is equal to your life total. That creature gains trample until end of turn
<4>

From the Planeswalker deck I'm guessing. It's 185/184 after all.

This doesn't seem as obviously bad as the previous two Planeswalker Deck cards. I could see someone making use of the +1 in a casual deck.

Wulfric

This doesn't seem as obviously bad as the previous two Planeswalker Deck cards. I could see someone making use of the +1 in a casual deck.

Yeah, it's not terrible. The art isn't goofy like planeswalker deck Chandra either. I'm sure his deck will be some beast/humans thing.

Hmm... I wonder who's in the other planeswalker deck... can the face card be a villain? That would be a nice change of pace.

kirblar

Yeah, it's not terrible. The art isn't goofy like planeswalker deck Chandra either. I'm sure his deck will be some beast/humans thing.

Hmm... I wonder who's in the other planeswalker deck... can the face card be a villain? That would be a nice change of pace.
It's gotta be Tezz

kirblar

I don't really know what to make of two six-planeswalker blocks in a row. Maybe since there used to be an extra in the core set several years they're willing to call 11 per year the new standard now and so half the blocks will go up to 6?
I think that's part of it, yeah.

Ashodin

I think I'm reaching Planeswalker fatigue.

"We wanted to release a Niv-Mizzet card in honor of him finally getting that spark, but we decided against it because of planeswalker fatigue."

I'm also thinking they're doubling down too hard on the card type because they know it's the marquee cards and people want them BAD.

at 6 mana I'm not looking for a PW that gets me ahead but one that closes out the game quickly or allows me to stabilize. He needs 4 activations to ultimate and only ends the game if you have a board.
He's super controllish basically smothering the opponent in CA but that's just not what I'm looking for in a 6CMC walker.

Ashodin

The upside is Bolas might finally exact his revenge and kill Ajani.

Oh, who am I kidding.
Uh? Ajani is totally setup now to be the "I made a mistake getting a friend killed, and I'm still grieving over it, so whoops I suck in combat now and I died!" trope.

Uh? Ajani is totally setup now to be the "I made a mistake getting a friend killed, and I'm still grieving over it, so whoops I suck in combat now and I died!" trope.

He's going to be the Obi-wan to the Gatewatch, getting killed is all but assured.

Alternatively, he's the Han Solo to the Gatewatch, meaning he'll die as he tries to redeem Zombie-Elspeth.

Firemind

Dude, spoilers. I still haven't seen Ep. VII.

That reminds me, we totally need a Darth Vader. Not a crummy one like Tezzeret.

OnPoint

I find it very strange that actual Ajani says "put on the bottom of your library in any order" and Tezzeret says "in a random order".

Yeef

I find it very strange that actual Ajani says "put on the bottom of your library in any order" and Tezzeret says "in a random order".
Letting you choose the order slows the game down a little while you decide. They like to use random order when they don't want that to happen, so it makes sense that the PW deck ones would be random.

ultron87

They don't want those to be +1 "stack your deck" in a deck without creatures or artifacts.

Admittedly those two cards are very bad in suchs decks, but still. I think by default whenever it's an indeterminate number of cards you're putting on the bottom they have you do it randomly.

OnPoint

Letting you choose the order slows the game down a little while you decide. They like to use random order when they don't want that to happen, so it makes sense that the PW deck ones would be random.

My issue with it is I thought they switched to 'in a random order' to speed things up. Why wouldn't the Ajani have that rider as well?

It's more the fact that PW deck Ajani could potentially reveal a large number of cards, so random is better.

With a small number, it feels better to choose the order.

I was thinking more about this wording since it is something I'm not used to seeing -- effects like this used to tell you to shuffle your library afterwards. What I realized is that this change is purely for play speed: if you dig through twenty cards you essentially have to shuffle anyway, but if you dig through three you can just shift 'em around in your hand a little bit rather than take the time to do a full proper shuffle of the deck.

real Ajani's +2 is nuts. Potentially ancestral recall

Yeah I get the sense people are thinking about this like the Mentor of Heroes or Agent of Bolas abilities that are worth like .75 of a card draw, when it's actually more like the Caller of Beasts ability that is more like 1.25+ of a card draw.

So you're saying she's not bad, she's just drawn that way?

Indeed.

bigkrev

Yeah I get the sense people are thinking about this like the Mentor of Heroes or Agent of Bolas abilities that are worth like .75 of a card draw, when it's actually more like the Caller of Beasts ability that is more like 1.25+ of a card draw.

Based on how often I've seen Aetherwork's Marvel whiff on camera this weekend (in the 2 hours of coverage I watched), I'm still taking "1 guaranteed card over "1.25 average that could be zero" cards. Also, in this world of no constructed playable mana creatures, I don't think it's possible to have a deck be "24 lands, 36 hits" on a 6 mana planeswalker.

When Garruk, Caller of Beasts was legal, you also had access to 12 Elves (Mystic, Arbor, Avacyn Pilgrim), which were then replaced by great 2 drop accelerants in Sylvan Caryitd and Voyaging Satyr (with Nythkos), which allowed for decks with 36 hits. This card doesn't allow that.

If this card is over 3.99 by April I will be shocked. It's a Standard unplayable that will see some play early on (like Saheili and Doven did in Kaladesh) untill people realize it's garbage.

In paper, almost never.

In Duels, all the time. It's nuts with Sphinx's Revelation. Especially since it's a slower format. You also, occasionally, get incidental card advantage from things like Fiery Temper and Scrapheap Scrounger.

I made the same mistake just recently speaking about sphinx tutelage in the same idea even. I wanted to make a sphinx tutelage turbofog deck of sorts.

My mental shortcut for Ajani's +2 is just "draw gas". That's all I feel I really need to know about it. Yes, it might need to be gas next turn but in the absolute "worst case" you get three lands cleared from the top of your deck, which honestly isn't that much different than a later game Ancestral drawing three lands. A "miss" with it isn't the same as Marvel or CoCo because unless you shuffle after activation each card looked at is either action you draw or non-action that gets out of the way so you can draw action. It's not a bad ability; it's an absurd ability.

bigkrev

I don't think Heart of Kiran is good but I think it's really interesting. Using loyalty counters as a crew cost is not something I expected but makes a lot of sense

Card is a legendary 2 mana Serra Angel with crew 3 OR 1 loyalty- can't post pic but it's on Twitter

ultron87

Gideon plussing, crewing that with a loyalty counter, then attacking alongside the ship he is crewing hurts my flavor centers.

I like the idea behind it, but I'm getting a nagging sense that Alternative Crew Costs is going to be a thing beyond this card. Every Artifact Block they've managed to break something, and I don't have enough trust in Development to not have this happen in Aether Revolt.

It does let you keep Gideon at 4 Loyalty in the event you draw another so you can Anthem him.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's bullshit nonsense of the type we were already bitching about.

Gideon plus this fucking thing is dumb.

ultron87

Planeswalkers being able to crew that on the opponent's turn feels really weird too. Like it obviously can happen, but I could see people overlooking that the first time few times they play against the card and getting a nasty surprise.

Yeef

Obviously, you need to go turn 2 Heart of Kiran -> Turn 3, Pia Nalaar, crew for the flavor win. Maybe follow it up with a Turn 4 Pia & Kiran Nalaar or a turn 4 Chandra Torch of Defiance, plus for mana and use the two red to cast Cathartic Reunion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The reason its probably not great is that you'd have to actually have a Planeswalker to make it good. But I don't really like them going into that because I could see it being dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom