• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Len Wiseman Directing Total Recall Remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please god, make it stop!

CS reports that Underworld and Live Free or Die Hard director Len Wiseman will be undertaking a Total Recall remake, written by Kurt Wimmer (Law Abiding Citizen, Salt).

The film will tell a “new, contemporized” version of the Paul Verhoeven 1990 action sci-fi flick starring Arnold Schwarzenegger based on the Philip K. Dick story, We Can Remember It for You Wholesale.

Wiseman:

I’ve always been fascinated with Philip K. Dick’s short story, and I’m excited at that prospect of diving even deeper into the type of world it evokes and the questions it asks. I love that the most crucial mystery our character is trying to solve is the one of his own soul.

Dead said:
Fuck everything

edit: written by Kurt Wimmer? Fuck EVERYTHING
Right in the ear. Jesus. Why? Why not just keep it faithful to the Phillip K. Dick story instead of changing it more? And Wimmer and Weisman together sounds like a perfect shitstorm. Why not toss in Paul W. S. Anderson too just to complete the shit circle jerk?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
A director without a single good movie on his resume....... hmm. I wonder how this will turn out...

And with Weisman involved that means Kate Beckinsale will probably be cast in it too. At least there will be one pretty thing about the movie (if that happens).

Ugh, please never let Weisman near good franchises or stories. Same with Wimmer.

Oh wait! How about a mega film of Wimmer, Weisman, Paul WS Anderson, AND Stephen Sommers are working together? Could the world handle that much shit?

Perhaps we are all stuck in our own little fantasies as we sit in the chair at Recall. And this news is the event that is supposed to trigger our minds and tell us that the world we have been living in is not real and it is time to wake up.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I don't understand this at all.

He realizes he peaked with Underworld, right? I mean, he got Kate Beckinsale out of it.

It's never going to get better than that.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I don't understand this at all.

He realizes he peaked with Underworld, right? I mean, he got Kate Beckinsale out of it.

It's never going to get better than that.
And that is the only good thing he ever did. I mean, he actually made John McClane less manly. Who the hell has the ability to do that?

Blair

Banned
Total-Recall-KLAXXON.avi.jpg

afternoon delight said:

I mean, there's really no point in even beginning to argue about this. It's just a fucking terrible idea.
Remaking the film could work, but not in the hands of these people. With the right group of people and the right amount of money, a remake of Total Recall could be really fucking cool (yet still unnecessary). But with Weisman and Wimmer attached, this will end in tears. (Of pain and laughter).

Nizz

Bootaaay said:
Fuck anyone who even remotely thinks this is a good idea.
Pretty much. I just looked at Kurt Wimmer's filmography over on Wiki:

* Salt (2010) (writer)
* Law Abiding Citizen (2009) (writer)
* Street Kings (2008) (writer)
* Ultraviolet (2006) (writer/director)
* The Recruit (2003) (writer)
* Equilibrium (2002) (writer/director)
* The Thomas Crown Affair (1999) (writer)
* Sphere (1998) (adaptation)
* One Tough Bastard (1995) (director)

Ehhh, not really a fan of anything he's done (I haven't seen Salt yet). As far as Len Wiseman, I think of him in the same league as Paul W.S. Anderson (Resident Evil, AvP).

Decado

PhoncipleBone said:
And that is the only good thing he ever did. I mean, he actually made John McClane less manly. Who the hell has the ability to do that?
Anyone who got stuck making a PG-13 Die Hard movie...?

Anyway, if this remake is hard-R, I'm interested (though keeping my expectations low).

No idea who could replace Arnie, though.

purple cobra said:
Pretty much. I just looked at Kurt Wimmer's filmography over on Wiki:

* Salt (2010) (writer)
* Law Abiding Citizen (2009) (writer)
* Street Kings (2008) (writer)
* Ultraviolet (2006) (writer/director)
* The Recruit (2003) (writer)
* Equilibrium (2002) (writer/director)
* The Thomas Crown Affair (1999) (writer)
* Sphere (1998) (adaptation)
* One Tough Bastard (1995) (director)

Ehhh, not really a fan of anything he's done (I haven't seen Salt yet). As far as Len Wiseman, I think of him in the same league as Paul W.S. Anderson (Resident Evil, AvP).
Hmm...his attachment to "The Recruit" answers why that movie sucked. Same with "Sphere" which had potential to be great because of the cast and source material. At least with the recruit you knew it would be bad going in because of the Pacino w/ facial hair curse. The only good movie he made where had rocked facial hair was "Serpico." Everything else was just shit (with Carlito's Way being merely okay.)

Decado said:
Anyone who got stuck making a PG-13 Die Hard movie...?

Anyway, if this remake is hard-R, I'm interested (though keeping my expectations low).

No idea who could replace Arnie, though.
Weisman had his R ratings in Underworld, and they still sucked.

harSon

Banned
How did this guy go from De Anza Community College to directing blockbuster feature films and having sex with Kate Beckinsale?

I went to De Anza Community College as well, hopefully I'm as fortunate....

Marvie_3 said:
Stop remaking movies, you fucks
Remaking movies is OK at times. If a movie is really old and didn't fully work, you can remake it and modernize it.

But Total Recall? That is a relatively recent movie. And it was done pretty well the first time. What is the point?

What kind of idiot thinks he'll do better than Arnie & Paul Verhoeven? Sheesh.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
PhoncipleBone said:
Right in the ear. Jesus. Why? Why not just keep it faithful to the Phillip K. Dick story instead of changing it more? And Wimmer and Weisman together sounds like a perfect shitstorm. Why not toss in Paul W. S. Anderson too just to complete the shit circle jerk?
Base it on the Piers Anthony movie novelization please.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Kurt Wimmer? I enjoyed the Thomas Crown affair remake but c'mon. And the director that was responsible for the latest Die Hard? The one where you can hack a city with a lap top? Those Mother F*BLAM*!

RiccochetJ said:
Kurt Wimmer? I enjoyed the Thomas Crown affair remake but c'mon. And he was responsible for the latest Die Hard? The one where you can hack a city with a lap top? Those Mother F*BLAM*!
As did I. McTiernan saved that one. Too bad McTiernan had to go out with Rollerball. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom