• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: "The United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of Trump's statements alarm me (specifically those dealing with the environment), this tweet however does not.

For what it is worth, I was thumbing through the news earlier and heard someone on transition team say that he was talking about our missile defense system...

Regardless, I'm not worried. Creating more or having quicker deployment methods does not heighten the chances of nuclear war.

When I think of capability, the term used in the tweet, I think of our ability to deploy. For example it sounds like he means the number that we able to deploy in our Submarines. At the moment Russia actually has more deployed warheads than we do.

Also-not really concerned if the US builds more warheads. We already have right around 4K. It is not like more of them will make in difference. One could argue that more would be a waste of money, but we spend more on less. Anyways, our current stockpile is a far cry from the 30K that we had in the 1960's or the 20K in the 1980's-we were fine then and will be fine now. In the long run if something absolutely terrible did happen it won't make a difference if we have 4K or 400K.

Moreover one cannot make the argument that Trump is a corrupt business man and argue that he wants to create nuclear war at the same time; that would be very bad for his business.

Finally, to those that want to eliminate our stock pile: Russia, China, and N. Korea aren't getting rid of theirs.
You're smarter, more thoughtful, and more eloquent than our President-elect. You don't have to engage in apologetics for him. It's not worth the effort.

AmyS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUuXrgviERw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjWTrMTo8CE

Check out this U.S. Air Force film from 1980 about the land-based MX Missile (LGM-118 Peacekeeper) and proposals on how to base these ICBMs in the southwest United States in such a way so that it would force the Soviets to use up hundreds of their own ICBMs and thousands of warheads just to make sure they could take out 200 hidden MX missiles (holding 2000 warheads) in their thousands of shelters, across a large expanse of the southwest. It was basically going to be a shell-game.

XwRhwvE.jpg
G5QH6j7.jpg
01rcsc2.jpg

That was only one of several basing methods for the MX under consideration during the early-mid 1980s.

The so-called 'Dense Pack' was another: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dense_Pack

MX missile launch in 1985, from a conventional silo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPZlGLBRQ4E

Yeah, this was part of the Reagan build-up of nuclear forces.

blackflag

Some of Trump's statements alarm me (specifically those dealing with the environment), this tweet however does not.

For what it is worth, I was thumbing through the news earlier and heard someone on transition team say that he was talking about our missile defense system...

Regardless, I'm not worried. Creating more or having quicker deployment methods does not heighten the chances of nuclear war.

When I think of capability, the term used in the tweet, I think of our ability to deploy. For example it sounds like he means the number that we able to deploy in our Submarines. At the moment Russia actually has more deployed warheads than we do.

Also-not really concerned if the US builds more warheads. We already have right around 4K. It is not like more of them will make in difference. One could argue that more would be a waste of money, but we spend more on less. Anyways, our current stockpile is a far cry from the 30K that we had in the 1960's or the 20K in the 1980's-we were fine then and will be fine now. In the long run if something absolutely terrible did happen it won't make a difference if we have 4K or 400K.

Moreover one cannot make the argument that Trump is a corrupt business man and argue that he wants to create nuclear war at the same time; that would be very bad for his business.

Finally, to those that want to eliminate our stock pile: Russia, China, and N. Korea aren't getting rid of theirs.

It's more the fact that he thinks that is ok just to tweet out that I have a problem with. He doesn't care that his dumbass tweets effect stock markets, geo political tensions, etc. He knows, he's just not responsible enough to care.

"Umm. and I put them at... ummm. I'm sorry."

-end earth-

The next time he says "oops" we won't be laughing. I believe there is more strategy behind Trump's tweet. The people around him that advise him want to go to war with Iran. Trump figures that by saying reckless things like that, Iran will take enough steps to violate the agreement made with the USA, the basis for which will be the Trump administration's grounds for war with Iran.

It's amazing how much of an idiot Trump is. I thought George Bush Jr. was pretty dumb, but at least he knew about right and wrong.
Trump is on a whole new level of stupid. This man is a threat to literally every person on earth.

I wish he would be smart enough to see just how much he is disliked by every country on this planet. This is not a person that should be in a position to talk about nukes and actually be able to order as he says. He's without a doubt the dumbest and thus most dangerous person on the planet once he steps into the White House.

Re-posting what I wrote in PoliGAF

Last night I did a re-watch of Thirteen Days and the Cuban Missile Crisis.

It was already frightening just thinking about if Donald Trump and his team were in the shoes of JFK and his inner circle. I don't think people, especially the younger generations, realize just how close we came to a nuclear World War III. There were people on both sides (USSR and the US) that were antsy for a conflict. In particular, the US generals kept pushing for airstrikes in Cuba that would have lead to all out war and possibly a nuclear winter.

So it was even more ironic (and horrific) when I woke up this morning to Trump indicating that he wanted to restart the nuclear arms race with Russia...!

The Cuban Missile Crisis should be required reading for any registered voter in America. I know it's become cliche to say, "We're electing someone with nuclear codes at their fingertips". While yes that's true, it's not that we have to worry about a President just launching nukes on a whim. What we have to worry about is if there is a flashpoint with a nuclear power where things can escalate very quickly. Can the President keep a cool head and evaluate all options, and not easily get pushed into a corner. What worries me is that Trump has surrounded himself with generals and Trump doesn't seem to have a well developed worldview of his own, so when push comes to shove, his advisors will be running the show. When it comes to flash-points, you do need a singular commander in chief who can not just make critical decisions but ask the critical questions because things can go wrong very fast.

SL128

So it was even more ironic (and horrific) when I woke up this morning to Trump indicating that he wanted to restart the nuclear arms race with Russia...!
Not even against them; with them.

Scanning the past few pages, it doesn't seem that this has been posted. It details his thirty year old plan for forming a nuclear alliance with Russia to exert pressure on smaller countries.
We order drinks, a Heineken for me, a prim Virgin Mary for Trump, and he continues on the blindness of U.S. policymakers.

“I believe they’re sort of fools,” Trump says. “They only think about Russia. Russian and U.S. weapons. But the summit is a joke. It’s not about the real nuclear problem. You have countries like France that are openly and blatantly selling nuclear technology.”

Trump is very down on the French.

“They’ve got an arrogant head of the country, who I think is a total fool, and he’s trying to make up for his losses by selling this technology to anyone, and it’s a disgrace. It’s a disgrace.”

So what’s the solution? I ask him. How do you get the French to stop, how do you get French technology out of the hands of the Pakistanis at this point?

“I think you have to come down on them very hard economically or whatever way,” Trump says. “I think the solution is largely economic. Because there are so many of these countries that are so fragile and we have a vast power that’s never been used. They depend on us for food, for medical supplies. And I would never even suggest using it except on this issue. But this issue supersedes all other things.”

He pauses.

“I guess the easy thing would be to say you go in and clean it out.”
But the thrills and perils of deal making no longer have the same excitement for Trump these days. Not compared with The Subject [nuclear proliferation].

“Nothing matters as much to me now,” Trump says.

He’s been “spending so much time on this other thing,” he says, meaning The Subject, that he’s hardly had time to think of conventional deals. Because he’s on the track of a much bigger kind of deal, his Ultimate Deal. The Trump Plan.

Of course, he doesn’t call it the Trump Plan. And he denies that he wants to be the one to make the deal. But he’s convinced there’s a deal there to be made, that it’s now or never, and that the people down in Washington are not doing anything to get the deal done.
“I don’t think I have to be the one. I’m not saying this to promote myself. But it has to be somebody of only a few people. Somebody who has the ability to make a deal. Because there’s a deal there to be done absolutely. But not by the present players,” he says, referring to current American negotiators and Reagan negotiators. “They have no smiles, no warmth; there’s no sense of them as people. Who the hell wants to talk to them? They don’t have the ability to go into a room and sell a deal. They’re not sellers in the positive sense.”

So what is the deal Trump thinks can be done? What is the Trump Plan?

It’s a deal with the Soviets. We approach them on this basis: We both recognize the nonproliferation treaty’s not working, that half a dozen countries are on the brink of getting a bomb. Which can only cause trouble for the two of us. The deterrence of mutual assured destruction that prevents the United States and the USSR from nuking each other won’t work on the level of an India-Pakistan nuclear exchange. Or a madman dictator with a briefcase-bomb team. The only answer is for the Big Two to make a deal now to step in and prevent the next generation of nations about to go nuclear from doing so. By whatever means necessary.

“Most of those [pre-nuclear] countries are in one form or another dominated by the U.S. and the Soviet Union,” Trump says. “Between those two nations you have the power to dominate any of those countries. So we should use our power of economic retaliation and they use their powers of retaliation and between the two of us we will prevent the problem from happening. It would have been better having done something five years ago,” he says. “But I believe even a country such as Pakistan would have to do something now. Five years from now they’ll laugh.”

“You think Pakistan would just fold? We wouldn’t have to offer them anything in return?”

“Maybe we should offer them something. I’m saying you start off as nicely as possible. You apply as much pressure as necessary until you achieve the goal. You start off telling them, ‘Let’s get rid of it.’ If that doesn’t work you then start cutting off aid. And more aid and then more. You do whatever is necessary so these people will have riots in the street, so they can’t get water. So they can’t get Band-Aids, so they can’t get food. Because that’s the only thing that’s going to do it—the people, the riots.”

“But what about the French?” I ask Trump. “They—”

“I’d come down on them so hard,” he says. “Because I think they’ve been the worst example of—”

“But they already have the bomb. Do you think they’ll give it up?”

“Well, I tell you if they didn’t give it up—”

“Look, they blew up the Greenpeace ship—”

“They’ve got the bomb, but they don’t have it now with the delivery capability they will have in five years. I f they didn’t give it up—and I don’t mean reduce it, and I don’t mean stop, because stopping doesn’t mean anything. I mean get it out. If they didn’t, I would bring sanctions against that country that would be so strong, so unbelievable... ”

Re-posting what I wrote in PoliGAF

Last night I did a re-watch of Thirteen Days and the Cuban Missile Crisis.

It was already frightening just thinking about if Donald Trump and his team were in the shoes of JFK and his inner circle. I don't think people, especially the younger generations, realize just how close we came to a nuclear World War III. There were people on both sides (USSR and the US) that were antsy for a conflict. In particular, the US generals kept pushing for airstrikes in Cuba that would have lead to all out war and possibly a nuclear winter.

Recommended watching, one of my favorite documentaries as a history geek, The Fog of War, about Robert McNamara. If you don't want to watch it all (it is spliced up on YT, or on Netflix last I saw) at least watch the piece on the Cuban Missile Crisis.

https://youtu.be/N0suadZ6AmM

Trump just told Mika on Morning Joe, "Let it be an arms race." "We will outmatch them at every pass and outlast them all"

Mika over the phone was asking if Trump would like to clarify his comments on Nuclear weapons.

Nothing like a good bit of festive nuke cock waving. More numbers need adding to the 'how-many-times-over-can-this-planet-be-destroyed' counter.

I'll set my watch to midnight and keep it there.

After watching the rest of the show, it was clearly a PR stunt. The campaign spokesman handed the phone to Mika with Trump on the line and supposedly she didn't ask any questions on the topic. He basically just blurted it out. She asked him to repeat it, and he said the exact same thing.

So the comments are clearly orchestrated. The question is what is he trying to distract us from.

Tamanon

Banned
I feel bad for the aides that were spinning the tweet as being much more nuanced and not about an arms race.

Oh wait, I don't feel bad for them.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Guys, look and Putin's unconcerned response, this is so damned transparent I don't see why yall are falling for it. Trump is just trying to publicly put distance between him and Putin so he can stop hearing about being an Russian puppet.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think Trump IS a Russian puppet, I do believe he is Pro Putin though and his presidency will help Russia. I mean, You can be favorable to something, or someone, without being a puppet of the regime. I have a feeling Trump sees the possibility of making deals with Putin and Russia that will be beneficial to both countries.

I am not really sure why we have allowed relations between Russia and the US to get so bad honestly. I have an isolationist streak in me though, so I am likely biased.

Pomerlaw

I think you are right... not sure, but it could be.

I'm not sure we are headed to a new arms race. Putin said he is not interested in it yesterday, and didn't seem surprised at Trump's comment.

There was already a trillion invested by OBAMA to modernize US nuclear weapons. But under the start II treaty, both the US and Russia have to control the number of deployed nukes they have.

You have to ask yourself what would be worse, US modernizing it's nukes or letting other countries like Japan and SK develop their own because Trump decides he doesn't care.

Those things cost a lot of money too.

Russia US relations are pretty bad right now and Putin didn't like the US getting out of the ABM treaty in 2002 and making a missile shield in Europe.

I can see Trump and Putin talking about this and not go into an arms race. But the usual posturing right now before he gets into office...

I'm more worried about what would be his reaction to a terrorist act on American soil or vs China...

Lev

Twitter is not the appropriate platform to spread domestic or foreign policy, obviously, so I ask where the hell is his PR team at and why do they allow him to post crap like this on Twitter? Tweets like these are ridiculous and thus should not be published.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom