• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

Is it really the development lead's responsibility to catch interactions like this, though? Seems like that would fall on the FFL. Is there a department that's more analogous to QA? If not, maybe there should be after the last few sets.

Aether Revolt is otherwise incredibly sweet. I've never seen a set with this many goofy engine cards and interlocking combo pieces. There are going to be a ton of sweet FNM brews coming out of this set, and I think it'll end up being regarded pretty highly outside of this debacle.

Yes, this is exactly developments responsibility. It's literally one of their principle roles. It's not even anything to do with FFL - this is a very basic two card combo that was spotted within minutes of the spoilers being released.

I'm willing to be the reason was that the cat was changed late in the process from artifact & creature to permanent.

Amonkhet should be unchangeable at this point. They were able to make changes last september when they changed standard. They should now have shipped off things to start the printing process, set comes out in 3 months. Both MM3 and Amonkhet should be printing right now.

Felidar Guardian is AFAIK literally the only creature that ETB flickers a planeswalker, and while they are likely to print more creature copying, they are unlikely to print another flicker card like that in Standard. If they ban part of the combo, it will be that.

kirblar

Is it really the development lead's responsibility to catch interactions like this, though? Seems like that would fall on the FFL. Is there a department that's more analogous to QA? If not, maybe there should be after the last few sets.

Aether Revolt is otherwise incredibly sweet. I've never seen a set with this many goofy engine cards and interlocking combo pieces. There are going to be a ton of sweet FNM brews coming out of this set, and I think it'll end up being regarded pretty highly outside of this debacle.
Yes it is. The buck stops with you.

FFL has apparently been a big pile of nothing re: catching stuff for a while now.

Considering FFL's pisspoor job at actually guessing how strong something is in recent Metagames(Fetches+Santa's, Spell Queller, Reflector Mage, CoCo*, Flayer, Emrakul, Avacyn,and Copter) the only real line of defense seems to be the set designers.

* I've said CoCo is fair in the past, but it's fairness is inversely proportional to the amount of midrange shitfest the format is. Going CoCo and finding 2 dorks is a feels bad, but they got rid of Dorks so don't worry about that.

6K1jStH.png
hahaha

Agreed. That whole team should be fired. There's really no excuse for it.

Yes, what will definitely produce better future standard environments is just not having a Development team. :p

The thing about these problems is that they're systemic. You can fire people all you want but the newbs you hire to replace them will go on and make the exact same mistakes. The actual solution is concrete changes in the design and development process, the same way they did after Urza's and Mirrodin. As challenging as it is to get right, they probably need to give in and create some sort of external testing program with pro players -- which is gonna in turn require a lot of careful thought about the PT structure, the POTY race, and Worlds qualification as all these things currently incentivize players not to skip a season.

The other alternative is that they just need to seriously reduce their lead time. Currently they lock a set something like six months before it actually hits people's hands; compare this to digital games where they can be tweaking stuff just weeks before. If every set can go out the door with at least the initial reaction to the previous set already known before it's locked down, adjusting the meta to the problems people have in practice becomes a lot easier.

Considering FFL's pisspoor job at actually guessing how strong something is in recent Metagames(Fetches+Santa's, Spell Queller, Reflector Mage, CoCo*, Flayer, Emrakul, Avacyn,and Copter) the only real line of defense seems to be the set designers.

This list kind of conflates a few different kinds of issues. Flayer and Avacyn are just strong cards that shoulder over alternatives, but neither's innately problematic or really an issue because of some specific card synergy. Copter is overpushed because it's part of a new mechanic whose real power takes time to be apparent, just like we saw the first time out with equipment. Spell Queller and Reflector Mage are knock-on effects of their miss with CoCo, which is a pretty classical FFL screwup (nobody participating thought to sit down and target this card as an engine, so they never got the full picture of how good it is.) Fetches is a result of playing with fire by printing fetchable duals, combined with the innate mechanical bias FFL-style playtest leagues will have towards shittier builds of decks the more colors they have.

This isn't to say that any of these aren't dev's responsibility, mind, but if it was actually a problem of just "oh they just missed stuff because they DUMB" it would be a lot easier to fix.

Hero

Yes, what will definitely produce better future standard environments is just not having a Development team. :p

The thing about these problems is that they're systemic. You can fire people all you want but the newbs you hire to replace them will go on and make the exact same mistakes. The actual solution is concrete changes in the design and development process, the same way they did after Urza's and Mirrodin. As challenging as it is to get right, they probably need to give in and create some sort of external testing program with pro players -- which is gonna in turn require a lot of careful thought about the PT structure, the POTY race, and Worlds qualification as all these things currently incentivize players not to skip a season.

The other alternative is that they just need to seriously reduce their lead time. Currently they lock a set something like six months before it actually hits people's hands; compare this to digital games where they can be tweaking stuff just weeks before. If every set can go out the door with at least the initial reaction to the previous set already known before it's locked down, adjusting the meta to the problems people have in practice becomes a lot easier.

I wasn't seriously indicating that they should just not have a development team but it's pretty clear that the current group/implementation is not working in the way it should. I completely agree with your proposed solutions though.

Lead time is definitely an issue though, and one of the downsides for having a physical card game. It would never happen but what if Magic sets came out digitally first and then released in paper?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
firing the whole development team seems like a gross overreaction. firing anyone seems like a gross overreaction. they've taken the game in a direction that people aren't enjoying and they've made a couple of high-profile mistakes in quick succession, but neither of those things mean that they are a) incapable of taking the game in a direction that people would enjoy if they listen to feedback and b) get a much better and more rigorous testing environment so that the mistakes happens with much lower regularity.

neither of these things seem like things that are fixed by firing people, rather, things that are fixed by a change of direction and changes to development structure.

neither of these things seem like things that are fixed by firing people

In fairness, at a lot of organizations these things get fixed by firing people because those people are management types who are resistant to necessary changes. I don't think we're at that point at (analog) WotC though.

bigkrev

What if it's "No changes. There are rumors flying, and we just want to squash them and return some confidence to our players"

We'll see what actually ends up happening, but in the Mirrodin era they learned how bad an idea it was to just poke at the edges of a Standard format in need of bannings and then make people wait another three months, so I'm gonna guess now that once they realized they had to tear off the Band-Aid they decided to throw a few more things in the pot.

bigkrev

Ok, what if it's just "Paradoxical Outcome is insane in Vintage, so we are restricting it before the proper VSL starts in 2 weeks. No other changes"

Ok, what if it's just "Paradoxical Outcome is insane in Vintage, so we are restricting it before the proper VSL starts in 2 weeks. No other changes"

Every time people immediately freak out about a new card that's good enough to play in Vintage a puppy is set on fire.

We'll see what actually ends up happening, but in the Mirrodin era they learned how bad an idea it was to just poke at the edges of a Standard format in need of bannings and then make people wait another three months, so I'm gonna guess now that once they realized they had to tear off the Band-Aid they decided to throw a few more things in the pot.
Ban all the things in standard.

Marvel, Emrakul, Gideon, Copter, Felidar.

Announce on an unrelated note that Standard is going back to 18 months.

Edit: Also, I'm fully expecting them to go ham on nuking Dredge in Modern. 5/6 Sideboard cards needed for Dredge alone+ the way it pushed out Abzan Company/Any other graveyard deck has to be on their radar. Something like "All Dredge Above 4 is banned".

bigkrev

Likely because we're seeing a ban from an unreleased set, something that hasn't happened since Memory Jar.

Do we have the complete decklists for the Planeswalker decks yet? Felidar seems like the kind of card that can easily be put in the Ajani one, and god, PLEASE have them make another dumb exception like they did with Stoneforge.

kirblar

Ban all the things in standard.

Marvel, Emrakul, Gideon, Copter, Felidar.

Announce on an unrelated note that Standard is going back to 18 months.

Edit: Also, I'm fully expecting them to go ham on nuking Dredge in Modern. 5/6 Sideboard cards needed for Dredge alone+ the way it pushed out Abzan Company/Any other graveyard deck has to be on their radar. Something like "All Dredge Above 4 is banned".
I'd just ban Amalgam tbh

Lucario

A few dozen copies of Saheeli just got bought out on tcgplayer - everything up to ~$19, including my three nonfoil copies.

I admire that confidence.

Santiako

B&R early announcement means standard bans (to give people on the PT time to test, and not make them waste a week in decks that won't be usable).

I'd just ban Amalgam tbh
I could understand just banning Amalgam, but I don't think it's a good idea.

We know that Amonkhet is likely to have a Graveyard theme, and we know from previous bannings (Pod) that WotC has no problem nuking a card if they know it's going to end up being a pain in the ass later. Much in the way that Pod is an issue with creatures with ETB effects, Dredge will always be an issue in formats if they continue to print creatures with Graveyard Synergy. I think you just rip Dredge out of the format, admit that unbanning GG Troll was a mistake.

As it is, Dredge is the only deck in Modern(minus maybe Cheerios/Grishoalbrand, but both tend to be inconsistent) that effectively can see upwards of a 40% of its deck by the end of Turn 2.(Keep 7, Neonate, Discard Troll, Dredge 6, Cathartic Reunion pitching Two Dredgers, most likely finding a third somewhere). That's at least 13 by turn 1's end, with anywhere from 19 to 37 by turn 2.

bigkrev

Also curious to see if we just get the Standard bans today, but still have to wait 2 weeks for the rest of the formats.

Santiako

So, we have one hour left, let's do predictions:

Standard: Emrakul, The Promised End and Felidar Guardian are banned
Modern, Legacy, Vintage: No changes

(I hope they do some bannings in Modern, but since it's not a PT format anymore I don't think they care to do much)

Crocodile

I could understand just banning Amalgam, but I don't think it's a good idea.

We know that Amonkhet is likely to have a Graveyard theme, and we know from previous bannings (Pod) that WotC has no problem nuking a card if they know it's going to end up being a pain in the ass later. Much in the way that Pod is an issue with creatures with ETB effects, Dredge will always be an issue in formats if they continue to print creatures with Graveyard Synergy. I think you just rip Dredge out of the format, admit that unbanning GG Troll was a mistake.

@the bolded: We do?

Every artifact block, standard bans happen. It is written.

I don't think there were any bans during Antiquites block :p

Preemptive ban sounds pretty crazy. Has it been done before?

This will be the second pre-emptive ban of a card in Standard as soon as it would be legal, though Memory Jar will remain for now the only ban done completely off-cycle.

@the bolded: We do?

Probably not as its primary theme, but Egypt block would be as much of a failure without a graveyard subtheme as Theros would have been without a Legend subtheme. Rosewater's also hinted at something that would suggest there will be more graveyard hate in Standard down the line.

I don't think there were any bans during Antiquites block :p

Not a block!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom