• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black History Month - 13th: a Conversation With Ava Duvernay and Opera Winfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
93.jpg

Netflix just put up a 36 minute interview with Ava Duvernay the director of Netflix documentary The 13th interviewed by Oprah Winfrey. For those who still haven't seen it yet, The 13th is a documentary focusing on the history and current situation of mass incarceration in the United States along with the oppression and problems that it all entails.

In this interview Duvernay talks about the process of making the documentary, what she hoped to accomplish, and her current views on our political situation.

Just wanted to let y'all know it's up there and please watch the 13th if you haven't.

Thank you for the notice, I'll watch this tonight.

I was pretty pleased when I saw the movie was nominated for the best documentary academy award.

It was neat to see that she learned as much making it as we do watching it. I particularly liked her answer about why she made the ending that she did. Also I have to give her props on her locs. They are so gorgeous. I was fixated on them throughout the interview.

Finally watched the interview, it's a great companion to the movie.

As with the movie, there's a lot of things that stick out, but more than anything, I feel there's a tremendous power and a deep truth to the intuition that when black lives matter, it means that all lives matter.

It speaks to the reach of intersectionality, to the fact that when you heal the Other, you heal yourself and society as a whole. In these times that seem to reward power over human dignity, it's refreshing to see this over the debate of the hour about why disregard for humanity should be entertained as an equivalent proposition. This shouldn't be used by majorities to shut down minorities but to question majorities about how they view minorities, and ask them to actually listen, rather than be obsessed with their speech and their ability to speak.

(I'm using majority/minority in their broadest sense, this also includes inmates as the Other, which is a pretty central issue)

Sorry for the rant, I only meant to bump the thread to remind people this interview is available and everyone with Netflix should watch the movie itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom