• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, Scooze is just going all in on this set. Hierarch/Cavern/Vial/Goyf will just be the gravy on top of a good set at this point. They definitely seemed to have learned from MM2, but I can't tell which came first: The strong reprints or the draft environment as an idea.

Hot prediction: We'll get DFCs reprinted in a 2021 Masters Set, because by then we'll have enough valuable Flip cards to reprint( See Huntmaster, Delver, Werewolves as a whole, Meld, and the Origins Walkers if they want)

bigkrev

C544BV_WAAE5cYC.jpg

My 2nd favorite card in the set so far (after Molten Rain)

Wulfric

Come thru WotC, come thru

Just add Cavern and we'll call it good. The rest of the cards can be Storm Crow and I'd still be happy with the set.

ironmang

Damn, what a set. Don't like cracking $10 packs (or really any packs outside of draft) but I'm definitely going to be buying some cheap singles.

Going to be interesting watching the prices of the rares over the next couple months. I wonder which ones will stay above the price of a pack.

bigkrev

Saffron Olive with a Love Letter to Blood Moon

This is the reason that, even though I have made a conscious effort not to go back to the Blood Moon well too often, it's shown up in a ton of the decks I've built (or played) for various series. Want to play 20 planeswalkers in Modern and actually have a chance to win? The solution is to play Blood Moon. Want to win a bet with your friend that you can make Angel tribal work? Blood Moon.Trying to get the Braid of Fire merit badge, win with Door to Nothingness, or play Werewolves in Legacy? Blood Moon, Blood Moon, Blood Moon!

As such, as far as I can tell, Blood Moon often gets a bad rap. A lot of people consider it to be an "unfun" card, but in a lot of cases, it actually does the exact opposite and enables fun, different, new decks that otherwise wouldn't work at all. Sure, there are times when your opponent plays a Blood Moon and you do nothing, which isn't especially fun, but Blood Moon also enables a ton of really interesting and fun decks and synergies, buying them just enough time that they have a chance to compete with more powerful and streamlined decks.

Wulfric

Man, MTGFinance is gonna be super hectic in the next couple months. Expect whatever doesn't get a reprint to shoot up. And we still don't know how many boxes of this stuff there is out there. Anyways, I'm glad they learned their lesson with MM2015. And the funny thing is a couple of these cards (Basilisk Collar/Death's Shadow) spiked fairly recently. The set had to be finished at least 9 months ago, and the meta's changed a ton since then. The timing couldn't have been more perfect.

Jhriad

Good god, the hits keep coming. This set is crazy. I'd still like to see Aether Vial, Kitchen Finks, and Cavern of Souls in but it's hard to ask for much more out of this set.

bigkrev

3 Mythics left. One Green, and 2 Gold/Artifact/Land/Colorless cards left

The Goyf dream ain't dead!

Green Mythics that could concievebly be in the set it could be if not Goyf

Avenger of Zendikar
Lotus Cobra
Any Garruk
Thrun, the Last Troll
Vengevine
Worldspire Wurm

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
3 Mythics left. One Green, and 2 Gold/Artifact/Land/Colorless cards left

The Goyf dream ain't dead!

Green Mythics that could concievebly be in the set it could be if not Goyf

Avenger of Zendikar
Lotus Cobra
Any Garruk
Thrun, the Last Troll
Vengevine
Worldspire Wurm

Why no Prime Time?

OnPoint

Why no Prime Time?

You gotta figure they'll probably do them as a cycle in a set like this. And most of them are kinda feel bad/valueless for mythics. Probably you're more likely to see him in a Duel Deck than a set like this. I would have said a Commander deck, but you know, bannings.

Yeef

As much as I'd love Goyf again, Vengevine really needs a reprint.

[EDIT]
You gotta figure they'll probably do them as a cycle in a set like this. And most of them are kinda feel bad/valueless for mythics. Probably you're more likely to see him in a Duel Deck than a set like this. I would have said a Commander deck, but you know, bannings.
Prime Time was in MM2 and none of the other titans were.

Surprisingly clear reveal
uroborus-void asked: can we have a set where class tribal matters? I know there was a warrior theme in Takir, but I liked the feel in morningtide of different races coming together because of their comon role.

We have a set in the pipeline right now with a tribal class subtheme.

Amonkhet will definitely have a zombie (mummy) subtheme, and thus likely more species class subthemes. So Atlazan?

Yeef

Ally is technically a class, so BFZ block counts. Before that we had Khans with Warrior. Kaladesh also has a (minor) artificer subtheme. It's not like we get tribal class stuff all that infrequently in recent times.

Personally, i'd actually like to see more warrior stuff in red.

traveler

Not Wario
Glad it's the old Voice art. One of my favorites.

I feel like 99% positive Cavern will be shown tomorrow. It's part of one of the focus blocks for the set, fits the name and number crunch, and the demand/price for it has been high for a while now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Glad it's the old Voice art. One of my favorites.

I feel like 99% positive Cavern will be shown tomorrow. It's part of one of the focus blocks for the set, fits the name and number crunch, and the demand/price for it has been high for a while now.

The two most expensive cards in DGM - Voice of Resurgence and Voice of Resurgence token

traveler

Not Wario
I kind of hope the token gets new art to match the style of the card itself. Was never the biggest fan of the token art, especially in comparison to Voice.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I kind of hope the token gets new art to match the style of the card itself. Was never the biggest fan of the token art, especially in comparison to Voice.

For the Emmara Tandris reprint of the original version =V

Looking at the cards that exist, the other actually possible cards that could fit at #232 are:

Boseiju, Who Shelters All
Buried Ruin
Cathedral of War
City of Brass
Contested War Zone

That's it, that's the full list of lands that could be in that slot other than Cavern.

EDIT: Also, looks like we really only know half of the rares and 2 total artifacts so stuff like Crucible, Chalice, Explosives, etc. are still very possible.

Angry Grimace

Oh wow, I didn't even realize Voice and her were swapped. The art makes a lot more sense now haha

Nobody knows what the original Emmara was, but it was expected she'd be a big character and splashy mythic because she was an important character in RTR's story arc (meaning she was Jace's arc girlfriend).

Then her card was terrible and the clue we were given was that her original card was busted as fuck and we never figured out why, but VoR was given her token (which is why the token appears in the background of Emmara's card).

Tunoku

Waking up to more great reprints. This set is completely absurd. I think they'll do just fine if Goyf isn't in there.

Nobody knows what the original Emmara was, but it was expected she'd be a big character and splashy mythic because she was an important character in RTR's story arc (meaning she was Jace's arc girlfriend).

Then her card was terrible and the clue we were given was that her original card was busted as fuck and we never figured out why, but VoR was given her token (which is why the token appears in the background of Emmara's card).
Wasn't the issue that if Emmara was Mythic they'd have a broken cycle of Maze Runners, despite Ral replacing IzzetBot 2000 who was created solely for the Cycle to exist?

Like, She was supposed to be Voice's text/rarity(How an Elf is a 5/7 I will never understand), but they wanted to make a cycle and fucked around with both her and Voice until Presto, you've got a Mythic Elemental that has the stats of an Elf and an Elf that has the stats of a Elemental.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Looking at the cards that exist, the other actually possible cards that could fit at #232 are:

Boseiju, Who Shelters All
Buried Ruin
Cathedral of War
City of Brass
Contested War Zone

That's it, that's the full list of lands that could be in that slot other than Cavern.

EDIT: Also, looks like we really only know half of the rares and 2 total artifacts so stuff like Crucible, Chalice, Explosives, etc. are still very possible.

Boseiju wouldnt be a bad reprint, it would just be terrible in the face of Cavern's price.

Warriors replacing soldiers in Khans bothered me a whole bunch. Many of the warriors were part of a standing army or garrison, that makes them soldiers.

Super happy about the Blood Moon reprint, needed one badly for EDH. and my dream of fish moon.

Tunoku

The Compulsive Research and Ultimatum previews are coming from Top Level Podcast. Really recommend listening to it.

Fiery Justice is a pretty crappy rare. D:

Bandini

Man, my MM buy list keeps getting bigger. Right now I'm at:
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Arid Mesa
4 Abrupt Decay
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Craterhoof Behemoth

Maybe:
2 Blood Moon
3 Gifts Ungiven

I'm actually glad I didn't buy a box for once and can just get a bunch of singles I need.

Lucario

Auger of Bolas is a cool new card for Pauper!

... Jesus, they really made it common?

Once Ash Barrens comes out online, blue is getting absurd. I'm ready to start casting brainstorms.

edit: Apparently ash barrens came out and I didn't even notice! Time to brew.

ironmang

Man, my MM buy list keeps getting bigger. Right now I'm at:
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Arid Mesa
4 Abrupt Decay
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Craterhoof Behemoth

Maybe:
2 Blood Moon
3 Gifts Ungiven

I'm actually glad I didn't buy a box for once and can just get a bunch of singles I need.

Absolutely. Instead of getting $8-$10 packs and pulling an abrupt decay, just go buy it for like $3-4 lol. Assuming there's no shortage of product, it's much cheaper to just buy what you need. The more good rares they spoil the cheaper everything will be anyways. I'm looking for $30 tarns hopefully.

bigkrev

31 Rares spoiled now, and we only have 4 true whiffs (Seance, Stoic Angel, Firey Justice and Extractor Demon), and a few other whiffs that at least see play somewhere (Deadeye Navigator, Primal Command, Cruel Ultimatum).

I can't believe that Lega Nerd is also spoiling cards now... The one time I ignore their facebook posts, they spoil magic cards...

I liked the approach they took this time and let a lot of people who wouldn't usually get spoilers have a card. I -Really- liked that they daggered Kibler by giving him Bonfire.

OnPoint

Man, MTGFinance is gonna be super hectic in the next couple months. Expect whatever doesn't get a reprint to shoot up. And we still don't know how many boxes of this stuff there is out there. Anyways, I'm glad they learned their lesson with MM2015. And the funny thing is a couple of these cards (Basilisk Collar/Death's Shadow) spiked fairly recently. The set had to be finished at least 9 months ago, and the meta's changed a ton since then. The timing couldn't have been more perfect.

I have a feeling this was mostly luck. Imagine if those cards didn't start seeing play and experience recent spikes. We'd be talking about what misses they are. Luck or not, though, it's awesome.

Rafy

31 Rares spoiled now, and we only have 4 true whiffs (Seance, Stoic Angel, Firey Justice and Extractor Demon), and a few other whiffs that at least see play somewhere (Deadeye Navigator, Primal Command, Cruel Ultimatum).

I liked the approach they took this time and let a lot of people who wouldn't usually get spoilers have a card. I -Really- liked that they daggered Kibler by giving him Bonfire.

Yeah, I also like the rapidfire approach they had this time around. I started following spoilers with Aether Revolt and it felt much slower than this.

It has slowed down though today, is that because we are getting the full list tomorrow?

bigkrev

Yeah, I also like the rapidfire approach they had this time around. I started following spoilers with Aether Revolt and it felt much slower than this.

It has slowed down though today, is that because we are getting the full list tomorrow?

Well, we will get more cards today in 2 hours when DailyMTG posts it's articles, and then a steady drip through the day as people in different time zones start dropping cards. Maro didn't drop his till 4:00pm eastern yesterday, for example

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom