• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Doubling Season makes way more sense at Mythic than the other cards they bumped up- it's expensive, "splashy", and would absolutely be printed at Mythic if it was first printed in a Mythic era set

Meh its basically Panhamonicon. Doesnt do anything by itself.

bigkrev

Meh its basically Panhamonicon. Doesnt do anything by itself.

If you made the card worse and re-wrote it to "Planeswalkers you cast enter the battlefield with twice their starting loyalty. Whenever a Planeswalker would have loyalty counters added to it, instead add twice that number of loyalty counters", it reads Mythic as fuck

If you made the card worse and re-wrote it to "Planeswalkers you cast enter the battlefield with twice their starting loyalty. Whenever a Planeswalker would have loyalty counters added to it, instead add twice that number of loyalty counters", it reads Mythic as fuck
The 2nd part only becomes applicable with 2 or so Ajanis and a couple other cards, Activating Planeswalker Abilites doesn't trigger Doubling Season since it's part of the cost.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's not how Doubling Season works. The activated abilities don't trigger it since that's just part of the cost.

This is true, but its not like Doubling Season only works with Planeswalkers. But the combo with Planeswalkers is utterly ridiculous.

OnPoint

Doubling Season definitely has a mythic feel but id be happy to have it at rare.

I'm super curious to see the rest of the set.

Jhriad

I honestly think we'll get no more rares worth a damn, although I have said this every day since like tuesday.

This has been my thought pretty much every morning this week.

"Well, that was a good run but here comes the run of bulk shit."

*Checks spoilers*

"Guess the bulk comes tomorrow?"

In all seriousness there are still a few cards I was expecting from the set that I'd like to see. Aether Vial, Crucible of Worlds, Doubling Season, Spell Snare (or Pierce), Kitchen Finks, and Glimpse the Unthinkable. At this point I doubt we'll see it all but maybe they'll surprise me yet again.

Noble Hierarch and Aether Vial could really use another print.

traveler

Not Wario
Oh I thought that was a guaranteed hybrid card. Guess there's still a shot then.

Bauble is up to $57, Jesus. :O Time to start cracking coldsnap packs?

Yeef

So far this is definitely the weirdest omission. All the artifacts just showed up as Inventions which I can imagine might contribute to them getting left out of the set, Grove and Canopy inevitably lost out once they decided to include fetchlands, but there's no reason at all to specifically leave this out.
Through the Breach is a bit odd because it's got splice onto arcane. Even in the masters sets, they try to limit the number of mechanics and make sure that the ones that are there appear in high enough numbers to be relevant. The first Modern Masters had some splice cards, so it could have fit there, but I guess at the time they didn't think it was worth including. It was only a $4 card at the time.

Yeef

There's room at #214 for an artifact before Azorius Signet.
From the crunch I'm seeing, there's not. With the gap between Zur the Enchanter and Burning-Tree Emissary, it's safe to assume there's a cycle of 10 hybrid-mana cards.

A_Dang

What will the remaining surprises be? Is Doubling Season still possible? Chalice of the Void? Ensnaring Bridge?

I think I have at least two drafts lined up. This set is going to be nuts.

What will the remaining surprises be? Is Doubling Season still possible? Chalice of the Void? Ensnaring Bridge?

Yes, yes, and no respectively. There's a grand total of three artifact slots not dedicated to mana fixing in this set, that's easily the part of the card pool that got the tightest squeeze here.

ironmang

unless i missed something all the rares spoiled today are basically bulk. So everybody hoping for something specific will be disappointed lol.

Santiako

Wort the Raidmother in new frame makes me happy. My favourite commander :D

So many rarity shifts.

unless i missed something all the rares spoiled today are basically bulk. So everybody hoping for something specific will be disappointed lol.

Cyclonic Rift is the biggest one I think.

bigkrev

Cyclonic Rift getting a reprint is good
Grasp of Phantasams, Falkenrath Noble, Cower in Fear, Call of the Conclave, Dinrova Horror moved to common and all have Pauper appeal

Gaea's Anthem downgraded from Rare to Uncommon (first time an Anthem has been printed at Uncommon)

Obzedat downgraded from Mythic

Spell Pierce reprint is nice. It has been a bit pricey for a common.

Speaking of pricey commons...does this mean they somehow weren't reprinting Git Probe before the ban? How is that even possible? Was Grasp of Phantoms as last minute replacement or something? I can't believe they'd have skipped Probe outside having the ban planned.

Jhriad

Well, 4/5 days being bonkers is pretty good. Now we have to hope that supply is actually large enough but to dry up too quickly.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Spell Pierce reprint is nice. It has been a bit pricey for a common.

Speaking of pricey commons...does this mean they somehow weren't reprinting Git Probe before the ban? How is that even possible? Was Grasp of Phantoms as last minute replacement or something? I can't believe they'd have skipped Probe outside having the ban planned.

There is no Phyrexian mana in the set.

edit: sadly no countersquall reprint too.

Santiako

The lack of Scapeshift, Countersquall and Cursecatcher is the only dissapointing thing of the set for me. But boy, did they know this one out of the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom