• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrArchon

The trials seem very good in limited. The red one in particular is very good by itself and bonkers if you get more than 1 cartouche.

I'm liking the combo of green + green. Don't need any other creatures unlike the other cartouches, and a 5/3 is a great creature to send into a fight.

ultron87

It does seem good for hosing storm completely in various formats, since it makes their one Lightning Storm in Modern not enough, and Tendrils is a blank.

Lucario

painfullesson.jpg

Read the Bones, what'd they do to you :(

At least this puts blue in a firm second place for best card draw.

Turn 2 Heart of Kiran

Turn 3 Gideon

Seems legit.
Oh Gosh.

"I'll stop any damage you can do with Your Heart of Kiran, then crew my heart on defense"

Like, who at Wizard's keeps thinking Gideon needs "free" Ultimates? Between this and Ally of Zendikar you'd think that Gideon gets to pop his Ultimate the moment he enters play.

Yup, same. The blue and black ones seem great in particular.

I know it's a stretch for the auras to see constructed play, but being able to buy back some early sifts/edicts is exciting.

Sure. The biggest issue with auras is that they're generally asking to be 2 for 1ed. Here, however, they can actually give you card advantage in the form of cards with quite reasonable rates.

It does seem good for hosing storm completely in various formats, since it makes their one Lightning Storm in Modern not enough, and Tendrils is a blank.
they are playing echoing truths and chain of vapor for that reason though. Phyrexian Unlife accomplishes the same after all.
painfullesson.jpg

I like how you can deal 2 damage to the opponent with it.

Violet_0

Banned
this gideon doesn't spam free 2/2 tokens or give you a permanent +1/+1 emblem, therefor I say he is inferior. Maybe his emblem is good in modern but I don't think he'll see much standard play

Santiako

this gideon doesn't spam free 2/2 tokens or give you a permanent +1/+1 emblem, therefor I say he is inferior. Maybe his emblem is good in modern but I don't think he'll see much standard play

Yeah, he's obviously worse than Ally of Zendikar, but that is maybe top 5 PWs ever.

painfullesson.jpg

That's how you win against a Worship invocation in limited x)

OnPoint

I dunno, this line seems real good:

Turn 1 - Land
Turn 2 - Land, Heart of Kiran
Turn 3 - Land, Gideon of the Trials, make emblem, remove counter to crew Heart
Turn 4 - Land, Crew Heart using Gideon of the Trials, play Gideon Ally of Zendikar

red13th

I'm at the point I'm considering cutting Gideon Jura from my cube since it's a 360 and I would have an oversaturation of Gideons (Kytheon, Ally of Zendikar and this). This plays well with Gideon tribal though. Idk

MoxManiac

New Gideon was probably designed with the thought that AoZ would be rotated out. He can still die to fatal push since the indestructability only works on Gideon's comtroller's turn.

Lucario

I'm at the point I'm considering cutting Gideon Jura from my cube since it's a 360 and I would have an oversaturation of Gideons (Kytheon, Ally of Zendikar and this). This plays well with Gideon tribal though. Idk

Jura is still better than this in cube by a mile IMO. White has too many busted 3 drops anyway.

bigkrev

New Gideon was probably designed with the thought that AoZ would be rotated out. He can still die to fatal push since the indestructability only works on Gideon's comtroller's turn.

Gideon is always Indistructable while he is a creature. There is no window for Push

If he's not indestructible then he's not a creature since both are until EoT. Fatal Push is a no go.

This card feels like a control card to me actually. Yeah the Heart of Kiran interaction makes it possible to go aggressive but in a hard UW control shell you drop it emblem at a low health then protect him with the open mana, then depending on what you need you either start attacking for 4 each turn or prevent some more damage trying to stabilize.

red13th

Jura is still better than this in cube by a mile IMO. White has too many busted 3 drops anyway.

Yeah I agree it's better, but not by a mile. It's more important thought IMO since it's great both in control and midrange decks. I think I'll just go Gideon tribal.

OnPoint

planeswalker uniqueness rule tho?

Yes, I thought it goes without saying the player would sacrifice the turn 3 Gideon when playing the turn 4 Gideon. You don't need him anymore once you have the bigger, token creating one down AND the emblem. That's why you crew Heart first, THEN play BFZ Gideon.

Toxi

Banned
Yes, I thought it goes without saying the player would sacrifice the turn 3 Gideon when playing the turn 4 Gideon. You don't need him anymore once you have the bigger, token creating one down AND the emblem. That's why you crew Heart first, THEN play BFZ Gideon.
Or alternatively, just use the 3cc Gideon to beat face and crew the Heart of Kiran and do something else on turn 4.

Having both Gideons in the same deck means a lot of dead draws.

I think it's more interesting that new Gideon can completely shut down a Heart or skyboat or other vehicle or potential damage source with his +1.

y2dvd

It's a Gideon world and we're just living in it.

In all honestly, with the amount of MM17 events I did and being able to complete my burn deck again, I'm probably gonna stick with Modern and Legacy from here on. I'll still hit up pre-releases and special limited events but if standard is a one-tier deck again, then I'm dropping out.

Lucario

Is there going to be some sort of sacrifice theme in the set? The Trial/Cartouche package seems really cool, but unless you can get rid of your trials, how are you getting value out of the Cartouches? They said they aren't doing self-mill, right?

It feels like we're missing a piece of the puzzle.

They return from play.

alternade

Thank god I stopped playing standard forever ago! That gideon looks terrible to play against. I bet the only "removal" for planeswalkers is sorcery speed too LMAO

Santiako

Is there going to be some sort of sacrifice theme in the set? The Trial/Cartouche package seems really cool, but unless you can get rid of your trials, how are you getting value out of the Cartouches? They said they aren't doing self-mill, right?

I don't understand what you're saying. The Trials bounce to your hand when you play a cartouche.

OnPoint

To be fair, I like the card. But I think it's fucking bonkers good. I would think that if it were any name or character. It honestly might be worse if it weren't Gideon, because then you could have this AND Ally of Zendikar out at once.

That Gideon is one of the stupidest fucking magic cards I have ever seen. It may have its weaknesses, but its upside is so absurd for a 3 mana walker. What on earth are they doing?

Saying that this is worse then Ally of Zendikar is true, but Ally of Zendikar is in the top 5 Planeswalkers Ever Printed. It's like complaining that Jace Architect of Thought isn't as good as Mindsculptor. (For reference, the top 5 is Jace TMS, LotV, LtLH, GAoZ, and Ajani Vengant)

bigkrev

???
The trial only returns if it's in play, not from your graveyard.

Violet_0

Banned
I mean, how often is the opponent not going to attack Giddeon anyway. Chaining Giddeons could be rather annoying though for aggro and burn decks. What makes NuGiddeon quite a bit better right now is Heart of Kira imo

Making more pushed mythics to make people want to buy more packs

Yup, and for the first time I am actually annoyed with this because the card seems incredibly stupidly strong.

Turn 3 gideon with +1, turn 4 cat, emblem gideon, +1 gideon. Go.

Turn 5 Saheeli, +1 gideon if combo removed.

Violet_0

Banned
cat is going to get banned, I highly doubt they want to continue having this stupid combo in the meta until Kaladesh rotates out

red13th

Saying that this is worse then Ally of Zendikar is true, but Ally of Zendikar is in the top 5 Planeswalkers Ever Printed. It's like complaining that Jace Architect of Thought isn't as good as Mindsculptor. (For reference, the top 5 is Jace TMS, LotV, LtLH, GAoZ, and Ajani Vengant)

Elsepth Knight Errant is my number 3 just behind Mind Sculptor and Lily

OnPoint

It has been a while since we've had a good old fashioned "What are the top 5 PW of all time" discussion... and I mean that without sarcasm. Curious to see what people think.

ironmang

I'd put Karn above Ajani and probably even GAoZ. Being a pillar in a non-rotating format has to be worth something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom