• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

I like the theory from Reddit that the last ability is foreshadowing Gideon dying, since it suggests the Gatewatch can't lose if he's alive and they're so obviously about to get wrecked.

OnPoint

I like the theory from Reddit that the last ability is foreshadowing Gideon dying, since it suggests the Gatewatch can't lose if he's alive and they're so obviously about to get wrecked.

I'd be curious to see if he "dies" or if he is somehow banished or imprisoned for a bit. Given his flirtation with the Gods and his name being "of the Trials", I wonder if something will go wrong.

bigkrev

Top 5 Walkers, as ranked by Standard power level (no other formats)
Jace, The Mind Sculpter
Jace, Vryn's Prodegy
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Elspeth, Knight Errant
Liliana of the Veil

Top 5 Walkers, format agnostic, historical
Jace, The Mind Sculpter
Liliana of the Veil
Tezzeret the Seeker
Dack Fayden
Jace, Vryn's Prodegy

A_Dang

I saw that, and liked it as well...mostly just because all the hate surrounding Gideon right now (as I've commented before, I am not a standard player, so the reign of Gideon has done nothing to me).

How about this: Gideon dies to Bolas, the Gatewatch go to Dominaria and meet up with Ajani. Ajani become the new standard mono-white walker.

Top 5 Walkers, as ranked by Standard power level (no other formats)
Jace, The Mind Sculpter
Jace, Vryn's Prodegy
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Elspeth, Knight Errant
Liliana of the Veil

Top 5 Walkers, format agnostic, historical
Jace, The Mind Sculpter
Liliana of the Veil
Tezzeret the Seeker
Dack Fayden
Jace, Vryn's Prodegy

I can't argue with this. I feel like Karn Liberated should be recognized, but he's probably just right below these.

red13th

The order I'd pick P1P1 in my cube is probably Jace the Mind Sculptor, Liliana of the Veil, Elspeth Knight-Errant, Ugin and Gideon Ally of Zendikar.

DrArchon

Obviously the Gatewatch are going to get their shit pushed in during HoD, but I'm unconvinced that any of the main five are going to die (in the traditional sense anyway). I could see allies of theirs dying, I could see them barely escaping with their lives while Bolas nukes all of Amonkhet and realizing that their actions led to the deaths of millions, but I don't think any of them are going away, at least not yet.

Yup, and for the first time I am actually annoyed with this because the card seems incredibly stupidly strong.

Turn 3 gideon with +1, turn 4 cat, emblem gideon, +1 gideon. Go.

Turn 5 Saheeli, +1 gideon if combo removed.
It's bad to the point where it even affects limited, cause I just know I'm going to go to against somebody who windmill slams this T3

Lucario

It has been a while since we've had a good old fashioned "What are the top 5 PW of all time" discussion... and I mean that without sarcasm. Curious to see what people think.

If flipwalkers don't count:

#5: Nahiri, the Harbinger
Filters for two turns, then wins you the game. Created her own Modern archtype. Answers Blood Moon, Rest in Peace, etc.

#4: Dack Fayden
Sees almost exactly as much vintage play as JTMS. Utterly absurd in any format focused around artifact mana.

#3: Karn Liberated
Archetype-defining card in Tron. Oppressive if ramped into. Can Vindicate twice and still have loyalty left.

#2: Liliana of the Veil
Taught me that symmetrical effects were not fair. Most played PW in Modern, second most in Legacy.

#1: JTMS
Ruins fair decks. Provides a ridiculous amount of card advantage and selection. Bounces your opponent's threats all day. Please never unban this.

Honorable mentions:
Ugin
See Karn, but answers wider strategies and comes down a turn later.

Chandra, Torch of Defiance
Third most played PW in Legacy, sees a reasonable amount in Modern. Very strange card with a ton of flexibility. Hasn't really found a solid home yet in any format.

Liliana, the Last Hope
Second most played PW in Modern. Can provide CA with her -2, or just tick up all day and eventually win you the game. Grindy and obnoxious. Should probably be #5.

bigkrev

Oh, and another short list, the top 5 walkers that failed to live up to preorder/hype expectations

Narset Transcendant
Koth of the Hammer
Arlinn Kord
Tezzeret, the Schemer
Elspeth Tirel

bigkrev

C8qURfOVoAA4C6M.jpg

Bulk Mythic

Top 5 worst non-Planeswalker deck Walkers

Tibalt, the Fiend Blooded (breaks my heart, I thought this card would be good because of the amount of Desperate Ravings I was casting at the time)
Gideon, Champion of Justice
Chandra Ablaze
Vraska the Unseen
Liliana of the Dark Realms

Take Vraska off that list and put Jace, the Living Guildpact on it.

Lucario

So who else is going to pick every Trial they see during their first draft, play 19-20 lands, and hope things work out?

I am very excited for this set - surprised the reactions seem a bit muted here and on reddit. Tons of multimodal spells, engine cards, graveyard interaction, on-board effects that cost mana, and other mechanics that always end up fun to play with.

Li'l Gideon's ultimate is ridicidic but it doesn't actually affect the board. I'm not sure it actually matters much that this is in Standard with AoZ; I'm hard pressed to think of serious scenarios where the deck running AoZ already would rather insure themselves against a loss than just play more bonkers bullshit with their 3-drop and then AoZ like they do right now.

I'd put Karn above Ajani and probably even GAoZ. Being a pillar in a non-rotating format has to be worth something.

Yeah, JtMS, LotV, and Karn are all general-purpose multi-format all-stars so I'd put them on top of the list. Gideon is ludicrous so he probably comes up soon after despite primarily a Standard guy.

I am very excited for this set - surprised the reactions seem a bit muted here and on reddit. Tons of multimodal spells, engine cards, graveyard interaction, on-board effects that cost mana, and other mechanics that always end up fun to play with.

There's a false positive problem where Magic players hate every set when it's revealed and it's mostly dumb, superficial, meaningless things that randomly cause a few specific sets to have an initial positive reaction. Original RAV is the only time I can ever remember the initial and long-term impressions being really in line on a non-awful set; most other good sets get bagged on during previews and a lot of mediocre sets get people hyped about something dumb.

Jhriad

Oh look, another Gatewatch Walker gets entirely new Planeswalker abilities. Who needs new walkers when you can staple everything into the same 5-6 characters?!

New Gideon is pretty fucking dumb from a Modern perspective. Pretty well hoses some combo decks and fringe strategies like Mill. Can't wait for the inevitable UW Flicker Control decks with Gideon and Sun Titan.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Oh, and another short list, the top 5 walkers that failed to live up to preorder/hype expectations

Narset Transcendant
Koth of the Hammer
Arlinn Kord
Tezzeret, the Schemer
Elspeth Tirel

wouldn't chandra, torch of defiance be on this list not because she's awful but because the initial reaction was "JTMS 2.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"?

lol they just printed this card in Aether Revolt.
There was a card that required energy and was more expensive for a mere 2/2, but this is much easier to cast and trigger, and has higher power. It may not see play, but it's much more likely to.

I thought new Gideon's ultimate would be powerful with AoZ, but then I started to think, how often does a deck with AoZ lose to damage while Gideon is out? And are those scenarios worth swapping in the new card? I still believe this makes it more likely for AoZ to be banned, though.

Santiako

wouldn't chandra, torch of defiance be on this list not because she's awful but because the initial reaction was "JTMS 2.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"?

She's been a staple in Standard since printing and sees play in Modern and Legacy. So, no.

Narset Transcendant
Koth of the Hammer
Arlinn Kord
Tezzeret, the Schemer
Elspeth Tirel

Koth saw play in Standard, and is used in various fringe lists in Modern and Legacy (until Chandra Torch of Defiance, at least). Blame Michael Flores for claiming the card was ban-worthy in his preview article.

Oh look, another Gatewatch Walker gets entirely new Planeswalker abilities. Who needs new walkers when you can staple everything into the same 5-6 characters?!

New Gideon is pretty fucking dumb from a Modern perspective. Pretty well hoses some combo decks and fringe strategies like Mill. Can't wait for the inevitable UW Flicker Control decks with Gideon and Sun Titan.
It's not entirely new it's Kiora's +1. Agreed on seeing Gideon in modern he's basically phyrexian unlife that can attack.
There was a card that required energy and was more expensive for a mere 2/2, but this is much easier to cast and trigger, and has higher power. It may not see play, but it's much more likely to.

I thought new Gideon's ultimate would be powerful with AoZ, but then I started to think, how often does a deck with AoZ lose to damage while Gideon is out? And are those scenarios worth swapping in the new card? I still believe this makes it more likely for AoZ to be banned, though.
It's a hyper vulnerable red mythic that gives extra combat steps. They are not identical but they might as well be in the context of their respective planes. The 2/2 has double strike so their power is effectively the same.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
The Celebrant is pretty sweet for EDH. The cheapest the effect has been on top of virtually no hoops to jump through besides just attacking.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Who in the hell approved that Gideon? Especially with Ally of Zendikar still being a thing.

MaRo should be ashamed.

edit: Also, the trials feel weird - almost like a more limited version of buyback.

Karn, Ugin, Dack, Nahiri, Garruk,...?
Karn and Ugin are fantastic, but they cost way too much to be put on the level of Jace/Lili(both, though Karn might just be better) Nahiri isn't a wincon by herself, Dack I blanked on completely because I don't play Legacy, and Garruk is.. alright.
I'd put Karn above Ajani and probably even GAoZ. Being a pillar in a non-rotating format has to be worth something.
Karn's a pillar in one deck though, and that's mainly because he's able to be dropped on Turn 3.

Like, the way I'm evaluating the power level of the Walkers is : Strong uptick, Strong Downtick, can win you the game by itself when left unchecked. Not put you in a position to win like Tamiyo's Ults but straight up win Jace/Both Lili's effectively have an Ultimate that reads "You win the game" stapled to efficient other abilities. Same goes for Gideon. I'd cut Ajani for Karn though now thinking about it.

Edit: My top 5 based on my experience (Modern/Standard/Some Legacy):

Jace the Fun Sculptor
Liliana of the Veil
Karn
Gideon Ally of Zendikar
Liliana the Last Hope

Bottom 5*:
Liliana of the Dark Realms
Chandra Ablaze
Elspeth Tirel
Ajani Unyielding
Jace the Living Millpact

*Not including cards like Daretti 2.0 or such, including the "Planeswalker Pack" ones because that would be way too easy.

Magic Story - Trust
* They arrive at the dome, and Jace and Nissa team up to get everyone through.
* A concerned aven questions them, Jace reads his mind to answer them, but he's still suspicious. The aven fetches Temmet.
* Liliana tells Temmet that they were in the desert for a long time on a mission from Bolas. Every time he's mentioned in a conversation, the people involved are expected to praise him. She gets Temmet to take them on a tour.
* They are still waiting for Bolas's return, so he isn't on the plane yet.
* The one domed city they are in is the only civilization on the plane. They have no knowledge of other worlds.
* Everyone in the city is trained as a warrior. Mummies do all manual labor, so if you guys want Exodus, it will have to be Gideon freeing the mummies.
* Chandra keeps asking questions that people on the plane are clearly expected to know the answers to, despite Gideon's glares. Temmet is suspicious, but answers.
* They come across Oketra, the white god, just hanging out and helping children train. The gold mask is her actual face and is capable of blinking and smiling. Gideon is shocked when she kneels to help a child with their stance.
* Gideon is in awe, but he wonders if he could ever trust a god again, after Heliod sent him and his friends to die against Erebos.
* Oketra addresses him by his real name, Kytheon.
* The people worship the gods out of love, not devotion.
* Temmet gives them two rooms to stay in. Gideon wonders how a god like Oketra could be on a plane created by Bolas.
* When they arrive at the rooms, Liliana immediately takes one whole room for herself and shuts the door.
* Chandra asks Gideon about his name, and then asks what a god is. They don't have any on Kaladesh, at least the sort that walk around. Every god she and the others have encountered was either an Eldrazi or an evil Planeswalker. Gideon tries to explain. The others didn't feel anything in particular when they encountered Oketra.
* A woman in the streets shouts about how the trials are a lie, and destruction is coming. Gideon stops Chandra from helping, and the woman is arrested.
* Chandra asks Gideon if he really thinks Oketra isn't lying. He believes there is no deception in her. Jace didn't read her mind because he learned not to attempt it with minds bigger than his.
* Temmet apologizes for the disturbance. They ask him about it, but this is another thing people are just expected to know already, so they don't press him. The fact that he refers to her being from a crop gives them pause.
* In the "night", when only one sun is up, Gideon goes to talk to Oketra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom