• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Dang

TCG has As Foretold up for preorder from a bunch of different sellers. $20. Love the card, but not that much. Instead I'll just spend even more than that cracking packs hoping to open one. Yeah, I'll save money that way.

Bandini

So the new KMC sleeves are awful. Like, I don't know what they did to screw them up, but after seeing Tolarian Community College's recent video regrading them I decided to test my Sleeves I bought at GP Van 2016 vs 2017.

Supposedly the new ultra Pros are actually really good though.

I've been really happy with Dragon Shield sleeves.

Rafy

I've been really happy with Dragon Shield sleeves.

I've been happy with Dragonshield as well, but those new Ultra Pro sleeves look amazing.

Unfortunately availability in Europe is abysmal. I'll ask a friend of mine that is going to the Bologna GP to pick up a couple of packs.

Santiako

This is kind of hilarious

a7AEsEe.png

If the Second Sun Approach was cast from your hand and you've casted another spell called Second Sun Approach this game, you win the game. Otherwise, put the Second Sun Approach in your owner's library seventh from the top and you gain 7 life.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

a7AEsEe.png

If the Second Sun Approach was cast from your hand and you've casted another spell called Second Sun Approach this game, you win the game. Otherwise, put the Second Sun Approach in your owner's library seventh from the top and you gain 7 life.
As per usual with alternate win conditions this seems bad but fun flavour wise

y2dvd

a7AEsEe.png

This and As Foretold. Control is back baby! Each game will go to time. Let's go!

DrArchon

a7AEsEe.png

I'm surprised this isn't mythic, seeing as it gives you an alternate wincon. And it's not like they won't print shitty mythics (just look at the last page).

I'm probably gonna lose with this in my deck on gameday. I just know it.

That and EDH, I'd think. Though going 7 turns without your library getting shuffled in EDH seems like it'd be difficult?

I guess maybe you could try to race it back up to the top. Rifle away the top 6 by dropping an Oath of Nissa and then rebounding it, or if you aren't running many sorceries you could hit it off a tutor-for-first-sorcery type effect.

I mean, in the unlikely event someone ran this successfully in formal Constructed they'd obviously just want to cast two copies instead of durdling around trying to re-fish it from the deck.

Lucario

a7AEsEe.png

Wait, it says this game? Not this turn?

That's definitely the least restrictive instant wincon Magic has ever had. Just cast the same 7 mana sorcery (which gains you life) twice.

OnPoint

a7AEsEe.png

UW Control with this and Narset sounds kinda cool lol

Lucario

So the new KMC sleeves are awful. Like, I don't know what they did to screw them up, but after seeing Tolarian Community College's recent video regrading them I decided to test my Sleeves I bought at GP Van 2016 vs 2017.

Supposedly the new ultra Pros are actually really good though.

Buy Hareruya sleeves in bulk before those get revised too. They shuffle as well as old KMCs if not better - they just break easier.

Lucario

So.... Second Sun Approach doesn't need to resolve the first time you cast it. You can Remand/Unsubstantiate/Failure it back to your hand.

red13th

lol those wacky cards, I don't like them but they are very Amonkhet.

I have only tried new KMC perfect fits and they are awful, so hard to double sleeve properly, once you insert them in the outer sleeve they move around since they are a tiny bit looser. Terrible. :/
I think I'll go Dragon Sleeves next time.

this is definitely up my alley and i'm curious to see your lists. i made a pauper cube for grid drafting with a friend, and having sealed packs would be an interesting way to mix it up.

I'll post them in a few days! Still making a few changes.

They said they were going to stop worrying about having story cards be pushed, even though a lot of them really weren't, and, uh, that seems like an understatement. Talk about a feel bad mythic.

a7AEsEe.png

Well, it's awful but it's cute at least.

So.... Second Sun Approach doesn't need to resolve the first time you cast it. You can Remand/Unsubstantiate/Failure it back to your hand.

Alternately, if I'm reading it right, you only need to cast it "fair" the second time around. The first casting can be cheated in (ie, not from your hand) using the standard shenanigans.

I still think it's too slow and nowhere near resilient enough to build around, but who knows, maybe there will be some draw-go deck that can just kind of casually slide it into their control shell. (Probably not.)

I have only tried new KMC perfect fits and they are awful, so hard to double sleeve properly, once you insert them in the outer sleeve they move around since they are a tiny bit looser. Terrible. :/
I think I'll go Dragon Sleeves next time.

Yeah, KMC has really gone down hill. I'm not a huge fan of Dragon Shield either, honestly. They're not bad sleeves but they been awkward to double sleeve with, they're huge, and I'm not a huge fan of the shuffle feel.

I'm interested in the Ultra Pro Eclipse but less than I had been since a guy in my group got a couple packs and the edges of them were damaged but on opposite sides. They'd be illegal in a tournament since they'd 100% be considered marked. That said, they otherwise seemed to have a good feel and he had to put some effort into pulling them apart (the dude is built hell, too) compared to the new KMC sleeves where they came apart like wet paper.

Marvel Sunrise incoming?

Oh. Oh no. Oh no no no.

Santiako

That and EDH, I'd think. Though going 7 turns without your library getting shuffled in EDH seems like it'd be difficult?

You can mystical tutor it to the top easily. This looks actually playable in edh.

Marvel Sunrise incoming?

That's the only way I could see this being played. It works quite well with marvel.

Marvel only helps with casting the first one. You'd still have to cast the one that wins from your hand. I suppose you can cast it for free off As Foretold, but that's a lot of turns to wait.

Marvel also conveniently digs 6, so you draw the card the next time.

noquarter

a7AEsEe.png

Sweet, alternate win-con for my Battle of Wits deck.

Oh there's a better O-Ring angel but I'll take it.
Marvel only helps with casting the first one. You'd still have to cast the one that wins from your hand. I suppose you can cast it for free off As Foretold, but that's a lot of turns to wait.
Oh yeah doesn't work the 2nd time around but activates the first and if it resolves digs directly to the 2nd.

DrArchon

Holy shit! Dude Angel! I can't remember the last time we've had one of those!

Pretty good too. O-Ring stapled to a 3/4 flyer for only 5 mana? With recursion? Yes please!

That angel is going to really ruin someone's day in draft play.

A rebounding Oblivion Ring is kind of an interesting conceptual space. That really messes with a person's value judgment in how to deal with it, though obviously the fact it's strapped to a moderately dangerous flyer is going to edge it back into the "kill it with fire" column.

Tunoku

That cast from your hand clause is pretty impressive given that my mind went to marvel immediately. You could still play some kind of deck with those two cards, would make for some janky FNM brew.

I like that angel, but come on. At least make it a 4/4!

Lucario

this is the most MaRo-feeling set we've had since Odyssey block

just add in Squirrels and a cycling Embalm creature and we're set

just add in Squirrels and a cycling Embalm creature and we're set
There's no way we're getting a cycling Embalm creature. I feel like that's something they would consider too good for some reason.

It would be in blue since supposedly Embalm is the WU archetype in limited. We suspiciously haven't seen any mono blue Embalm creatures yet though

There's nothing really "too good" about a card having both Cycle and Embalm, but they might be reluctant to do it given that both mechanics are full text-block entries on the card, and would be aesthetically poor as a result. Maybe if they didn't feel the need to be fully verbose with Cycling, or if they weren't both mana abilities.

OnPoint

Oh Jesus, Narset wouldn't work with the spell, you can't rebound it and win. Dang. Still a cool card.

I want like 40 of the angel please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom