• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Correct. Unless it says "Use this ability only when you could cast a Sorcery" then it is assumed that you can activate it at instant speed.

Thanks! What about cycling? If you are attacking and the other player plays a defender that would kill your attacker. Can you instead use the cycling ability to discard the attacking card or is the attacking card considered tapped at that point so you cant use the skill on it?

Violet_0

Banned
Those were clearly Predators, not humans.

right, you're right
dem hips, tho
50.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Thanks! What about cycling? If you are attacking and the other player plays a defender that would kill your attacker. Can you instead use the cycling ability to discard the attacking card or is the attacking card considered tapped at that point so you cant use the skill on it?

Cycling can only be activated from your hand, its "discard" not "sacrifice"

Yeef

The decks will almost certainly be multi-colored. They wouldn't leave a color out of a major release like this and they'd also want to spread around the new cards so that some appear in multiple decks.

I'm guessing we get two 2-color decks and two 3-color decks.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I'd hope it's tribes that don't have a bunch of lords to their name already. Like, there's already a ton of Elf tribal legendaries to make EDH decks around, so what's one more? Same with Slivers. Seriously, how many legendary 5-color Slivers are out there now?

...3?

edit: whoops. 4.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Someone in marketing needs to be demoted for a name like "Ixalan". That shit does not roll off the tongue.

DrArchon

I'm hoping that one of the new commanders is a decent Werewolf commander. Ulrich doesn't jell with me at all, as he's just a big dude and doesn't really synergize with werewolves outside of being one. A legendary Immerwolf would be better honestly.

Maybe a 5-color legendary Angel too so I can use all of the multicolor ones out there.

Violet_0

Banned
it's actually typed "=|IXa|= LAN" and it presumably takes place on a plane that resembles a German LAN party in the mid 2010's. That's a pretty bold move from WotC

Santiako

This is the announcement about Ixalan

Some changes to the Pro Tour as well. PT Ixalan will be 5 weeks after the release of the set instead of soon after, they'll highlight Ixalan standard in the World Champs first.

They are reverting the changes they made to the PT Top 8 and going back to regular single elimination top 8.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, it's a weird way to announce a new set but they kind of had to after they moved Announcement Day for the purposes of pushing Obviously Not Dominaria for the spring.

Angry Grimace

At least say what it is you're getting the info from next time. It's really confusing with no context to see stuff like that.
I'm super sorry about the 60 seconds of confusion it caused you. I just assumed you guys already had mentioned it.

OnPoint

Promo for Nationals

AzskRiEHLB.png

What does this mean for my foil copies from Mirrodin?

I'm super sorry about the 60 seconds of confusion it caused you. I just assumed you guys already had mentioned it.

We were literally just bitching at someone about doing this not 12 hours ago.

And I can't speak for everyone but I can't watch streams while I'm at work. GAF is accessible. If we're on the topic of time cost, you could have taken 15 more seconds and just said it was from a stream and avoided this entire convo.

jph139

My hopes for the Tribal Commanders are Allies and Fungus. Those hopes will be dashed.

Ixalan pretty much confirms the Atlazan stuff since it's so similar linguistically. Maybe trying to move away from the Atlantis comparisons?

Crocodile

4 tribal commander decks rather than 5 I guess means its easier to collect them all. I'm just curious as to which color or tribe get screwed. If it was five I could see them do Goblins, Elves, Vampires/Zombie, Humans and Merfolk. With only four do you leave out humans? Or do you go for less well supported tribes like Spirits, Wolves, Snakes, etc.?

Ixalan instead of Altazan is a question I also have, I wonder how that will get resolved

Pro-Tour and OP changes are whatever to me right now. I have no strong opinion on them so far

Jhriad

One will be Zombies because it's the most popular tribe. Goblins, and to a lesser extent Elves, are out because they're narrow color-wise and they've gotten themed decks before. So that means we get something like:
Zombies
Dragons
Angels
Wizards

They're also tribes you could center in Dominaria if you wanted to theme some part of the decks around the anniversary. You could replace Wizards with Slivers though the deck would probably be pretty uninteresting and they'd have to be interested in printing more Sliver legends.

It'd be cool if they went off the wall with these and did stuff like Ninjas, Werewolves, or Eldrazi but they'll probably take the safer route.

Santiako

One will be Zombies because it's the most popular tribe. Goblins, and to a lesser extent Elves, are out because they're narrow color-wise and they've gotten themed decks before. So that means we get something like:
Zombies
Dragons
Angels
Wizards

They're also tribes you could center in Dominaria if you wanted to theme some part of the decks around the anniversary. You could replace Wizards with Slivers though the deck would probably be pretty uninteresting and they'd have to be interested in printing more Sliver legends.

It'd be cool if they went off the wall with these and did stuff like Ninjas, Werewolves, or Eldrazi but they'll probably take the safer route.

When did Goblins get a themed EDH deck?

OnPoint

God please no. Werewolves suck and Eldrazi are so overdone at this point I hope we never see them again (even though I know we will). Ninjas would be cool. Spirits would also be cool.

Angry Grimace

Promo for Nationals

AzskRiEHLB.png

What does this mean for my foil copies from Mirrodin?

We were literally just bitching at someone about doing this not 12 hours ago.

And I can't speak for everyone but I can't watch streams while I'm at work. GAF is accessible. If we're on the topic of time cost, you could have taken 15 more seconds and just said it was from a stream and avoided this entire convo.

I don't really care what you were bitching at someone for.

DrArchon

Ninjas would be outstanding. Aren't the only legendary ninjas mono-color? If WotC is up to printing a couple more of them, I'd love to see it.

I don't see how Eldrazi could work. Isn't the whole thing with Eldrazi that there are only really 3 of them and everything else is an extension of them? Could you really have a new legendary Eldrazi that wasn't one of the big three?

alternade

I really hope that the 4 new decks are for tribes that need the support primarily and then some nods to the main magic tribes.

Selesnya Cats - Token go wide, Lords Lords Lords
Rakdos Demon - Land Destruction(lol) and punshising control
Jeskai Wizards/Sphinxes - Chaos and wonky effects, think Arjun stapled with Possibility Storm
Colorless Trinkets - Colorless needs the MOST support honestly and an iconic creature type other than eldrazi, maybe contraptions???????

You Fungus tribal nerds, living in the reflected glory of the Ooze tribal kings.

I don't see Dragons being on the table, because there are already a ton of multi-color dragon commander options that are also absurdly good (Scion of the Ur-Dragon, Prossh, etc.) as well as the full Dragonlord cycle (twice!) and a half-dozen older ones if you just don't like winning.

Angels is maybe more likely because there's no Legendary Angel that actually has the proper colors for the most popular named angels (basically everything but Black). Even so, Kaalia of the Vast and Atraxa probably knock them out of the running.

OnPoint

I don't really care what you were bitching at someone for.

Haha does that make you cool or something? I'm sure you're so over it at this point, but I don't care about your not caring.

I do care that people often post stuff in here without context or links. It's annoying and inconsiderate and is something we should get better about as a community.

This is a discussion board. You came on here to discuss something. I'd think you would want to do your part to foster discussion, especially one you started.

OnPoint

Wait, Nationals is back?

Seems to be the case.

2017 NATIONALS INFO
Following up on our announcement in February about the return of Nationals, we've got some more details to share with you about these events for 2017.

When Are They?

Nationals will be scheduled on the following three weekends:

September 9–10
September 16–17
October 14–15 (Previously announced as September 23–24)
Who's Invited?

For 2017 Nationals, we will use the same Planeswalker Point thresholds as the World Magic Cup Qualifiers, found in Appendix C of the Premier Event Invitation Policy. Players who meet the Planeswalker Point threshold in their country and satisfy the residency and eligibility requirements are invited to compete in this year's Nationals.

For your convenience, we've published the full list of players eligible to compete in their country's Nationals today. We strongly encourage you to look for your name on these lists. If you cannot find yourself on there and believe you should be on the invited players list, contact us immediately via the means provided in this article.

What's the Format?

We heard you loud and clear. You remembered Nationals as a multi-format celebration, and we're going to bring that back. The formats for 2017 Nationals will be a combination of Standard Constructed and Booster Draft, using Hour of Devastation and Amonkhet. For Nationals taking place the weekend of October 14–15, Booster Draft will use Ixalan.

The exact split of formats will be determined based on the total attendance for a country's Nationals.

We're excited to provide the beloved multi-format Nationals that the community has asked for!

Is There a Participation Promo?

Each player that participates in their Nationals will receive an Inkmoth Nexus promo card.

kirblar

I was super confused as well when I started reading the thread as well.

I don't care who you are, if there's news that you are commenting on that's brand new info, POST IT.

Angry Grimace

Haha does that make you cool or something? I'm sure you're so over it at this point, but I don't care about your not caring.

I do care that people often post stuff in here without context or links. It's annoying and inconsiderate and is something we should get better about as a community.

This is a discussion board. You came on here to discuss something. I'd think you would want to do your part to foster discussion, especially one you started.
It has nothing to do with "cool." It's a stupid made-up problem. You asked what it was and got a response within like 15 seconds. From me. Stop whining.

OnPoint

It has nothing to do with "cool." It's a stupid made-up problem. You asked what it was and got a response within like 15 seconds. From me. Stop whining.

It's not a made up problem. It's about you doing something rude, being called out on it then being a jerk about it. Stop being an asshole and I'll stop whining. You try to condescend your way out of every argument you have with people. It gets so old.

Announcing Ixalan like this is really awkward, but necessary due to the Announcement Day delay and the need to talk about the Pro Tour change. Same with the Commander announcement.

The Commander announcement specifies that the decks are popular tribes, so it probably is just goblins, elves, zombies, and merfolk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom