• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
Now I'm facing amaz. He turn 4 marvel'd into ulamog on the play; I floated mana to unmake it, then he turn 5'd an ulamog and hit my remaining two lands. When Marvel goes off, it looks so friggin stupid.

Edit: Game 2- I hymn to tourach him on my turn 3 on the play. Then he drops a marvel and hits ulamog on the next turn- i float mana and cast it out. Next turn he hits ulamog again. Jesus.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Now I'm facing amaz. He turn 4 marvel'd into ulamog on the play; I floated mana to unmake it, then he turn 5'd an ulamog and hit my remaining two lands. When Marvel goes off, it looks so friggin stupid.

Edit: Game 2- I hymn to tourach him on my turn 3 on the play. Then he drops a marvel and hits ulamog on the next turn- i float mana and cast it out. Next turn he hits ulamog again. Jesus.

I mean, Marvel is a shit deck powered by a shit card. Nothing can really be favored against it, imo. It's just too powerful, they need to ban it, but I don't expect that to happen.

traveler

Not Wario
I know; it's just frustrating when I have the tools in my hand and ready to go as quick as possible and they still just back to back ulamog me. Like I could have fought out of a turn 4 ula on the play but not two back to back. It's a game of variance but this is too much.

Firemind

Got my Marvels sleeved up and ready to go. Going into my first GP with absolutely no byes is gonna be rough. The plan is to jam some Modern Masters drafts if possible. Dimir control splashing all other colors is a ton of fun.
I thought in the first two rounds of a GP you're mostly facing FNM noobs like me.

Tunoku

I thought in the first two rounds of a GP you're mostly facing FNM noobs like me.

I'm an FNM noob myself. More importantly, I'm not a morning person and I've never played a game of Magic before 11am in my life. I can already see myself missing a Marvel death trigger and then stare at my 5 energy that could have been 6.

traveler

Not Wario
Grimace, not sure what your list is looking like now, but I recommend giving Gonti a shot. If nothing else, he's been a nice speed bump. I had one maindeck painful truths that got changed to a succumb to temptation- I've replaced it with the singleton Gonti as I often found taking a turn off turn 3 or later to do nothing but draw was just hurting me too bad. It's fine when you're cycling or rummaging while throwing out a cheap removal spell, but three whole mana just to draw outside the control matchup isn't as good as a 2/3 deathtoucher and a card of your choice from the op's library. He also synergizes better with Lily, although worse with GDD. Still, I've found that if I need to draw, GDD can usually hit a voice/hug for me to keep digging, so the option isn't missing from the toolbox that often.

Also, perhaps most importantly, Gonti is just fun.

Tunoku

Gonti is the basis of so many sweet stories. I once managed to get two Acrobatic Maneuvers with him in a game of limited and I used them for full value. Opponent casts Malfunction on Gonti, attacks me with a 3/4 and a 2/1. I use Maneuver to flicker Gonti, draw a card. I block the 3/4 with Gonti, then cast Subtle strike to give him a counter and kill the 2/1 and I found yet another Acrobatic Maneuver with the second Gonti trigger. It was the best.

Zocano

I keep considering what kind of deck I'd want to build for standard at the moment (with rotation in mind) and feel like anything I brew basically just scoops to turn 4 marvel and am very discouraged.

I then realize kaladesh block is around for at least another year and grow even more upset.

edit: At least Ulamog rotates out. I forgot about that.

Zocano

I can see them printing a card that just removes counters from a target player or something like that.

Also without a super bomb like Ulamog to hit, I don't think the marvel combo works that well.

Rotation is with Ixalan not HOU. We're still 4 months away from rotation.

Marvel loses just Ulamog and are getting 2 whole new sets of potential hits. Meanwhile UR Control loses half their win conditions with no likely replacement, BG also loses a ton with Shadows (all the delirium) and BFZ rotating (Nissa)

After much searching, I've finally found a commander that combines the tactics I love the most, Chaos and multiple opponent damage.

Nekusar, I love you. :)

Gonti is the basis of so many sweet stories. I once managed to get two Acrobatic Maneuvers with him in a game of limited and I used them for full value. Opponent casts Malfunction on Gonti, attacks me with a 3/4 and a 2/1. I use Maneuver to flicker Gonti, draw a card. I block the 3/4 with Gonti, then cast Subtle strike to give him a counter and kill the 2/1 and I found yet another Acrobatic Maneuver with the second Gonti trigger. It was the best.
During the heyday of bg delirium with emrakul i slipped some gontis in my deck as hay makers. Against one emerge control player i gonti'd their ceremonious rejection and used it to counter their own elder deep fiend. The card is great.

From the sound of it, would it have been better to get rid of the Marvel instead of Ulamog?

So like apparently someone at the french mothership messed up.
9F8oQrL.jpg
pDaPHrd.jpg
zS80a16.jpg
Samut's name almost makes it sound like she ends up on Bolas' side. They failed the doubling season test with her too.

4 mana wraths are too good for standard, here's a 3 mana wrath.

Bolas is so easy to cast, I thought his minus 4 was underwhelming until I reread it and saw it can target opponents.

DrArchon

Bolas is a little eh for sure. I was hoping for an ability that would kill multiple creatures, like how Ugin had his -X one. Being able to dome the opponent for 7 is nice though, but I don't see too many people choosing to cheat Bolas out as long as they have Ulamog as an option.

Sad that Samut isn't Naya like her non-planeswalker identity.

His Ult is definitely overcosted. If Bolas gets to +1/+2 at least 3 times then it's hard to imagine you're in need of a boardwipe.

Samut is trash expect winning you the game on the spot with Doubling Season out in EDH.

A_Dang

Both of those walkers seem really good...
I am really bad at grading cards,
and really only think about them in an EDH context.

DrArchon

Unless you specifically want the double strike I don't see why you'd play Samut over Chandra.

I'm struggling to see why you'd play Samut over Arlin. Arlin makes dudes and kills bigger dudes, and Vigilance + Haste is a really good combo for being aggro and protecting herself.

If Double Strike lasted until your next turn, it'd be so much better. At least you could sit back with a great blocker and tick her up when attacking isn't the best option.

DrArchon

On further consideration, I don't think I'd even be that excited to play Samut in limited.

Eh, a creature getting double strike every turn is pretty good in limited, especially considering the number of big bodies that R/G has.

I'd be less excited to take this Samut over the last one, but I could still see blowouts happening in limited.

Oh, I thought his ulimate hits lands as well. What's the point even?
It isn't even in the flavour of bolas. He has discard, spot removal, damage and steal yo shit, in no iteration of a bolas flavoured card is there a boardwipe especially for noncreatures. Something grixis should have a hard time to deal with anyways.

stealth edit: found one boardwipe with Bolas flavour in magmaquake.
On further consideration, I don't think I'd even be that excited to play Samut in limited.
she comes down and makes an exert creature close to lethal or picks off 1 or 2 attackers. Depending on how aggressive HHA is going to be she's going to be great.

A_Dang

I think Samut is playable in limited/standard in an exert deck. With how good agro decks have been it seems like a decent fit.
again, don't listen to me when it comes to figuring out how good/bad cards are

OnPoint

It isn't even in the flavour of bolas. He has discard, spot removal, damage and steal yo shit, in no iteration of a bolas flavoured card is there a boardwipe especially for noncreatures. Something grixis should have a hard time to deal with anyways.

His first PW card ultimate disagrees with you, though this certainly ups the scale.

DrArchon

Judging by the background art for both, it looks like Naktamun is eating shit in HoD, so a Bolas boardwipe actually makes a ton of sense flavorwise.

bigkrev

Bolas seems worse than Chandra vs Aggro, Neutral to worse in the Mirror, and absurdly better vs control.

Also what does Dark Intimation even do with this Bolas lol

His first PW card ultimate disagrees with you, though this certainly ups the scale.
Kinda, you're right that I was wrong and that he always dealt with permanents but it's not a boardwipe. It's a juiced up semi Cruel Ultimatum. The sacrifice and steal your shit was flavour added over time but dealing damage and discarding is basically just him touching you in physical form.

It gets you to ultimate a turn sooner.

EDIT: Samut is so disappointing. Why was there White in her creature version? Why is she so underwhelming? Would she have been broken if she cost WRG instead of 2RG?

bigkrev

3 mana wraith is SUPER interesting though. The closest thing to something like this that we have had in the past was Meditate (Draw 4 cards and skip your next turn).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom