• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Spoilers so far:

Final Spoiler for today:

7145fa951768275c7e913f1bec3fa23b.png

Looks like this is it folks, at least for today
This guy makes me really happy. He fills in some important niches for Rakdos.

noquarter

I think it is triple sleeved. Inner, regular, and then character guards or w/e they are called to go over art sleeves.

Ari lax is a douche as usual it seems. Dude dropped a card while shuffling and he called a judge.
It's a dexterity warning. If you get there you get a game loss.

Had a guy at my last PPTQ call a Judge for the same thing. Pretty douche move, as it ended up just adding time to our match for no reason, and getting me a dexterity warning.

ironmang

It's a dexterity warning. If you get there you get a game loss.

Had a guy at my last PPTQ call a Judge for the same thing. Pretty douche move, as it ended up just adding time to our match for no reason, and getting me a dexterity warning.

Some grinders have talked about how they call a judge every time in case the person has accumulated warnings basically so they can get free wins. Wouldn't be surprised how many tricks of the trade exist to try and get wins via judges.

Zocano

Abyssal Prosecutor is what comes to mind first for me.

I *would* say Razaketh but I doubt they're revealing new cards through the invocations.

Santiako

This guy?

Yeah, it's him. We actually know from this story:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/hour-revelation-2017-06-07

The demon stood high atop the obelisk and spread its wings to catch the warmth of the second sun. Djeru could make out a crocodilian form and a mad smile. Endless scales ending in a thick tail. Sharp wings leading toward a sharper grin.

DOOMSDAY ART GOES HERE

The demon surveyed the assembled denizens. Its lips curled into a sneer, then it spread its wings and launched itself back into the sky, circling casually above the river and crowd before hovering just in front of the Gate. There, suspended in midair, the demon held out its right arm and raked its claws into the meat of its forearm. Rivulets of blood caught the light of the sun. The demon showed no reactions of pain, instead muttering an incantation, a low and abrasive rumble that echoed over the water. Djeru recoiled at the sight of blood magic, stepping back out of the river as demon blood fell drip, drip, drip into the water.

Pestilence?

Infest?

Cruel Ultimatum most likely, right?

Yeah, that's more likely. It's a showpiece for Bolas. Just the locusts or whatever made me think something else. Other than Bolas the art is a little weak maybe.

EDIT: Well, Omniscience. I didn't see that coming.

xRaizen

I just started playing MTG last week finally (after playing years of Yugioh, some Force of Will, and others), bought the Two-Tix Red deck and went 2-2 in my first tournament but went 1-3 on FNM lol. Slowly building my collection by doing drafts :) I got a Gideon of the Trials in my last draft so I'm happy.

Don't know what I want to play just yet, I'll probably wait until after HoD comes out and see how the decks are at that time. I'm thinking about going Control since I enjoy that playstyle in card games.

Have to say though, the community is large here and very welcoming for the most part. I've met great people who have offered to help me a lot :)

Santiako

I just started playing MTG last week finally (after playing years of Yugioh, some Force of Will, and others), bought the Two-Tix Red deck and went 2-2 in my first tournament but went 1-3 on FNM lol. Slowly building my collection by doing drafts :) I got a Gideon of the Trials in my last draft so I'm happy.

Don't know what I want to play just yet, I'll probably wait until after HoD comes out and see how the decks are at that time. I'm thinking about going Control since I enjoy that playstyle in card games.

Have to say though, the community is large here and very welcoming for the most part. I've met great people who have offered to help me a lot :)

Nice. Welcome to the fold. If you have any doubts or anything just ask here.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Affinity might have preyed on the sideboard meta shifting towards graveyard hate and people saying affinity was a dog in the current meta

Santiako

Affinity might have preyed on the sideboard meta shifting towards graveyard hate and people saying affinity was a dog in the current meta

Yeah, usually Dredge and Affinity fluctuate as people choose Stony or RIP. It's quite amusing.

EDIT: For this art I'll guess Living End maybe?

Wulfric

Why is wizards still using this awful piece of art?

Just look at it Garruk as the Hulk. Liliana looking like someone else entirely. It's so bad.

Same. No offense to Brad Rigney for making this render, but half of them look like cosplayers and Kiora looks really weird.

I suspect that it would cost too much to commission an updated version of this with Lili and Nissa in the center group. Maybe once we get closer to the 25th anniversary celebrations they'll start releasing new promo art.

That was such a stupid, greedy keep by Mery.

Like, in what world does "2 Vials, one land, and Stony Silence" seem like a good idea against Affinity?

Crocodile

LMAO at the last game of the tournament!
Dat Mull to 4!

Hatebear should have made Affinity player attack for the win

traveler

Not Wario
Re:Ari Lax

I played two seats down from him one of the last rounds yesterday. He seemed super nice in conversation to his opponent, but, right before their second match started, he called a judge over because the opponent took some time sideboarding and he wanted the judge to stand there and watch the opponent's pace of play as they played g2 because he was concerned about time. This was maybe 15 - 20 minutes in so they had 30 - 35 minutes left to play 1 or 2 games. I thought it was weird at the time as it seemed like it was a move made purely to put the guy on the spot in an awkward fashion since there was no real reason to be concerned about time yet. Now that I hear other stories of him calling judges for random reasons, it makes a bit more sense. It's not worth being a piece of shit to get percentage points; I hope I can face him and beat him senseless, random judge calls or not, next time we're at the same event together.

Same. No offense to Brad Rigney for making this render, but half of them look like cosplayers and Kiora looks really weird.

I suspect that it would cost too much to commission an updated version of this with Lili and Nissa in the center group. Maybe once we get closer to the 25th anniversary celebrations they'll start releasing new promo art.

What makes that planeswalkers art irreplaceable right now is that it's life-sized. It took weeks (in old-ass Photoshop 7, no less).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom