• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maro has asked several times over the last couple years what people were expecting from a return to Dominaria. Answers to these questions probably influenced development.

The suggestion that feels like it will wind up being most spot on is doing a 'reconstruction' era Dominaria where there are several factions excavating the past to fight each other. Which would be VERY Brother's War and it would be highly amusing if they went 'lol Urza and Mishra came through time portals' and the set is literally a Brother's War redo.

Another person suggested painland reprints, which would be fun and nostalgic.

OnPoint

Maro has asked several times over the last couple years what people were expecting from a return to Dominaria. Answers to these questions probably influenced development.

The suggestion that feels like it will wind up being most spot on is doing a 'reconstruction' era Dominaria where there are several factions excavating the past to fight each other. Which would be VERY Brother's War and it would be highly amusing if they went 'lol Urza and Mishra came through time portals' and the set is literally a Brother's War redo.

Ugh fucking kill me. Please don't do this.

I like the Locust God a lot.

And speaking of painlands, I wish they would make them uncommon so I could run them in my Peasant cube with a clear conscience.

DrArchon

I might actually add a copy or two of the Locust God to my Grixis cycling deck. This + Drake Haven should equal a board state that requires immediate action, and the Draw, Discard ability is just another outlet for Drake Haven, Archfiend, etc.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh God. can you imagine combining the Scorpion God with the Locust God? Kill a creature with a -1/-1 counter, draw a card, get a 1/1 flier. Shit's disgusting.

I wonder if they're designed that way on purpose

Bet the Scarab God is "whenever a creature (or maybe just token) ETB under your control put a -1/-1 counter on target creature" and "1UB: Make a 1/1 Scarab"

Santiako

CQGpm6X.png

Energy hoser!? and a decent graveyard hate card.

Grabbing a playset of Solemnity as it's inevitably going to show up in a broken deck at some point.

Locust God is the sort of thing I like building around. I'm hoping I can get Grixis to at least tier two.

Santiako

The usual bad expensive blue enchantment for the set:

Intelligencia%20de%20Enjambre.jpg

Swarm Intelligence
6U
Enchantment
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

alternade

Locus God is hot fire! Getting creatures off of doing what blue naturally wants to do is awesome

Solemenity seems like its either a last minute fix for energy or a stop valve for something else coming

New relic doesn't let you cycle but choosing what to exile is a bit better in most cases

bigkrev

Crook is a more precise anti-GY weapon than we usually get- it's always the opponents choice of a card or the whole thing. It's too expensive to see Modern play but it's not a terrible card

Super happy to see hate cards back in general. It took a historically awful year of Standard to get them back, and hopefully they never mess this up again

Ugh fucking kill me. Please don't do this.

If they're smart they'd have an 'urza faction' and a 'mishra faction' that used their cards and stuff but didn't actually include the guys themselves. Like expanding out the Magus cycle to be entire sets. Faction of the Antiquities. Faction of the Saga. Etc.

OnPoint

If they're smart they'd have an 'urza faction' and a 'mishra faction' that used their cards and stuff but didn't actually include the guys themselves. Like expanding out the Magus cycle to be entire sets. Faction of the Antiquities. Faction of the Saga. Etc.

This would be preferable to them actually doing some dumb-shit time portal resurrection garbage.

What I'd really like is for them to move the story forward in a more meaningful way after getting the prerequisite nostalgia stuff out of the way. I know there's going to be some, but the less Urza-Mishra style stuff the better. And this is coming from someone who used to be a huge fan of that mythos.

Tunoku

Locust God goes straight into my Breya deck. Another way to go infinite. Kinda awkward on the Solemnity print timing.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/locust-god-2017-06-20

en_Ty0uTtET4M.png
en_l3hMvPFTWy.png
en_51TvrK8pox.png

The Locust God, that's a pretty insane effect, but the mana cost to play it is steep.
I like it a lot. Locusts being red/blue is odd, but I suppose scarabs being that would be even weirder.

That makes me think that core flavor-wise, the set will basically be Antiquities 2, with people digging up the past, but it will draw from other sets too.

CQGpm6X.png

Energy hoser!? and a decent graveyard hate card.
Surprised they actually printed an energy hoser. And an infect hoser. And a Dark Depths enabler. The graveyard hoser seems alright too.

The usual bad expensive blue enchantment for the set:

Intelligencia%20de%20Enjambre.jpg

Swarm Intelligence
6U
Enchantment
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Kind of surprised they'd use that name for a generic effect like that.

So many blue enchantments that do nothing!

9iBaCmn.jpg

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CFc6M68QE4&feature=youtu.be&a

Look at that art though!
It might be good if there are other milling effects in Limited.

Yeef

Energy is still very big in standard, so it's a solid card. It also stops Walking Ballista and hits zombies very slightly. That covers the top 4 standard decks right now.

Zocano

I bet they wanted to hold off on touching marvel until HOU but the negativity and depression in standard was so strong that they would have rather not done any more damage and not wait any longer.

This would be preferable to them actually doing some dumb-shit time portal resurrection garbage.

What I'd really like is for them to move the story forward in a more meaningful way after getting the prerequisite nostalgia stuff out of the way. I know there's going to be some, but the less Urza-Mishra style stuff the better. And this is coming from someone who used to be a huge fan of that mythos.

In fairness, the time portal resurrection stuff isn't totally without precedent. Bolas himself may be a Bolas from another reality, per the novels. There was a thing at the end of the novels where Jodah and Jhoira get to meet and Jhoira wasn't sure if it was the Jodah of her timeline or not. Jodah is way overdue for a card btw.

In fairness, the time portal resurrection stuff isn't totally without precedent. Bolas himself may be a Bolas from another reality, per the novels. There was a thing at the end of the novels where Jodah and Jhoira get to meet and Jhoira wasn't sure if it was the Jodah of her timeline or not. Jodah is way overdue for a card btw.
Bolas was sealed away in another dimension by Umezuwa from Kamigawa.

OnPoint

Precedent doesn't mean they SHOULD do it though. Jodah can get an EDH card. I just want the story to move forward, not back. Bringing old myths that had resolution back to life would feel unoriginal and stale.

Bolas was sealed away in another dimension by Umezuwa from Kamigawa.

By his descendant. Bolas coming back during Time Spiral was exactly the style of retcon we were talking about, because he was very much dead. The time rifts were the method of bringing him back.

Precedent doesn't mean they SHOULD do it though. Jodah can get an EDH card. I just want the story to move forward, not back. Bringing old myths that had resolution back to life would feel unoriginal and stale.

If they went back to Dominaria and DIDN'T have cards of immortal story characters that should be there, then I think they messed up. Jhoira, Jodah, and Teferi should all be high on the new card list. The story can progress with old characters, that's not a mutually exclusive thing.

By his descendant. Bolas coming back during Time Spiral was exactly the style of retcon we were talking about, because he was very much dead. The time rifts were the method of bringing him back.
And it looks like they've retconned that retcon, because the Amonkhet flashback story where he wrecks the place takes place as he loses his power to the Mending, and implies he's been influencing things there for a while already.

And it looks like they've retconned that retcon, because the Amonkhet flashback story where he wrecks the place takes place as he loses his power to the Mending, and implies he's been influencing things there for a while already.
Right that doesn't add up. Would be a shame since I quite liked the story from Time Spiral and it set up a great many things.

OnPoint

If they went back to Dominaria and DIDN'T have cards of immortal story characters that should be there, then I think they messed up. Jhoira, Jodah, and Teferi should all be high on the new card list. The story can progress with old characters, that's not a mutually exclusive thing.
Ok I could see that. If the characters are alive I'm cool with it.

bigkrev

Stuff the white card combos with that have constructed impact
-Geralf's Messenger- with any sack outlet, it's an infinite amount of life loss
-Glacial Chasam- can't ever put an age counter on for Cumulative Upkeep, so it will never go away unless they have wasteland
-Infernal Darkness- Blood Moon that hits basic lands as well, never goes away due to Cumulative Upkeep

-Glacial Chasam- can't ever put an age counter on for Cumulative Upkeep, so it will never go away unless they have wasteland
-Infernal Darkness- Blood Moon that hits basic lands as well, never goes away due to Cumulative Upkeep

Between Solemnity and Mirage Mirror, I'm basically set for this set lol

Santiako

-All the persist creatures.

Bolas sealed a Time Rift and then buggered off, so he could easily have done things between then and when he lost his oldwalker powers. Which at least gives him a clean spot on the timeline to have the Amonkhet story occur. Anything beyond that tho is totally a retcon.

Ashodin

Both hose cards go right into my deck for my local meta. I see both bg delirium, gw humans, and shit like that. Yesssss

El Topo

Finally my Illusionary Walls will become worth their weight in gold! Haha, spending all that money on Ice Age boosters is gonna pay off now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
God invocations continue to suck. Real impressive, being dwarfed by all the surrounding buildings and being hard to identify.

DrArchon

God invocations continue to suck. Real impressive, being dwarfed by all the surrounding buildings and being hard to identify.

Locust God is a bit better at least, thanks to the big cloud of locusts. They're clearly going for a theme with all of these gods, and I don't have a problem with that, but you're right that them being dwarfed by the buildings sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom