• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
vK1136D.png

Seems decent as a mass reanimator/clone spell
What boring, obvious flavor text. This is almost as bad as the demon one.

Crocodile

• Transformation (X/Y power/toughness becomes 4/4)
  • Copying/Cloning
  • Exiles creature card as resource rather than move it from Graveyard to Battlefield (see Innistrad)
Seems Blue enough to me. It's also not very exciting. There are actually a good number of cards I want/need to pick up for my Graveyard Cube but I find it hard to believe this set will be a big seller given what has been spoiled so far >_<

• Transformation (X/Y power/toughness becomes 4/4)
  • Copying/Cloning
  • Exiles creature card as resource rather than move it from Graveyard to Battlefield (see Innistrad)
Seems Blue enough to me. It's also not very exciting.
You could use transformation as an argument why blue gets burn or some shit. It's a bullshit nondescript category.
Innistrad deliberately bend the colour pie and as such is a very bad reference point.

The flavour of the card is eternalizing which is not a process of copying/cloning but alteration and quite literally necromancy.

Ooccoo

Without Burn spells and aggressive threats, Red is officially dead now.

You know MTG sucks when there's no good RDW deck

Yeef

Does Hazoret live?
Yes. According to the artbook, Hazoret is the only of the original god left alive at the end of the story. Bontu attacks Hazoret, looking to gain Bolas's favor, but then Bolas kills Bontu anyway. Samut saves Hazoret somehow and, in the process, her spark ignites.

Justin

Yes. According to the artbook, Hazoret is the only of the original god left alive at the end of the story. Bontu attacks Hazoret, looking to gain Bolas's favor, but then Bolas kills Bontu anyway. Samut saves Hazoret somehow and, in the process, her spark ignites.

Rhonas :(

Tunoku

I mean, honestly, at least it's more interesting than everyone expected it to be. Sigh, I'm trying really hard to care about this set.

Yeef

I'm going to open this card in a prerelease and play it even though I know it's terrible, because that's the best time to try terrible cards.

The mechanics article mentioned that red would get more random library casting spells, and it looks like this will be the first. I like it, but it's definitely a casual spell. I think if they lean into this more, it might be good for red to get spells that incidentally allow you to name a card and exile all cards with that name from your library, to stack the deck, so to speak.

Yeef

The mechanics article mentioned that red would get more random library casting spells, and it looks like this will be the first. I like it, but it's definitely a casual spell. I think if they lean into this more, it might be good for red to get spells that incidentally allow you to name a card and exile all cards with that name from your library, to stack the deck, so to speak.
Even in casual play, it's way too risky. It's costed way too high for the effect. If you whiff, you basically skip 2 turns.

G.ZZZ

If it didn't have the 5 cmc restriction it would've been definitely a playable card in legacy's big red. Not anything that would've pushed the deck into T1 but an interesting and playable card nonetheless.

Santiako

Also, someone got the Artbook early and wrote the main points of the story (from mtgsalvation:

I'll spoil it in case someone prefers to follow it through the official channels

Got the Amonket Artbook early (the benefits of working at a book store)gonna post the rest of the story here for discussion

-The Gatewatch kill Razaketh, who bleeds into the Luxa river as the Hour of Revelation begins, revealing a huge necropolis and 3 sarcophagi

-The Scorpion God appears out of the first, slaying Rhonas who went out to meet it in combat.

-The Locust God comes next, his locusts devouring the Hekma and unleashing the desert.

-The Gatewatch fight to save the people, but Bolas only mocks them as they fight. Gideon is next to Oketra as she is also killed by the Scorpion God. Kefnet is also killed by the Scorpion God

-Bontu and Hazoret, the only 2 living Gods, fight to win the God-Pharoh's favour. Bontu incapitates Hazoret as she is also fighting to defend the people of Amonket. Bontu brings Hazoret to Bolas as an offering, but Bolas only kills Bontu. Hazorat escapes with her initates as Bolas faces the Gatewatch.

-The Scarab God emerges last, leading the Eternals, Bolas new immortal army. They retain the skills of their former lives, but none of their old memories.

-The Scorpion God chases after Hazoret, who are followed by Samut and Djeru. The two humans leads Hazorets remaining initiates against the Scorpion God and some Eternals, finally managing to impale the Scorpion God on an obilisk and kill it. Hazoret, as the last remaining free god, promises to protect the people of Amonket and the heart of it's people.

-It's unclear how Samut's Planeswalker spark ignites, but it occurs after she saves Hazoret from the Scorpion God. It may be possible it is due to his poison.

-Bolas wants to humiliate the Gatewatch and show them his power. He starts by baiting Jace into reading his mind to learn his secrets and plans. Jace falls for it and Bolas crushes his mind. The catatonic Jace planeswalks away. He targets Liliana next, forcing her to use the Chain Veil, and then completely overpowering her despite it. She retreats as well. Nissa tries to use the life force and leylines of the plane, but Bolas has warped them to the point that death is stronger than life magic. Chandra tries to overpower him with pyromancy, but Bolas simply grabs her in his palm. She flees before being crushed to death.

-As the last standing member, Bolas taunts Gideon about his failure to lead the Gatewatch. His invulnerability is useless against Bolas's strength and he too is forced to flee before being impaled on his claws.

DrArchon

should have been 4 mana and instant, missed opportunity to ruin another standard cycle

At a glance, it really looks like they took every precaution to not have this card be accidentally broken. Yeah, it probably could've been cheaper and instant speed, but I don't blame them for putting so many limits in place.

Violet_0

Banned
the ability to just teleport away from harm sort of takes away any tension
At a glance, it really looks like they took every precaution to not have this card be accidentally broken. Yeah, it probably could've been cheaper and instant speed, but I don't blame them for putting so many limits in place.
I fear that we won't be getting any more underpriced roulette cards now

Magic Story - The Hour of Promise
* This story focuses on Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons.
* She and the other viziers had decided to wait at their respective gods' temples. At the Temple of Strength, they watch as blood drains out of the Luxa, leaving an empty riverbank with dead fish.
* She talks to Khufu, who she would often tease for being an ancient 35 years old. An aven, Tuya, earlier reported to them that three new gods appeared and that one started fighting Rhonas, and they are waiting for the results.
* The prophecies were unclear about where the viziers were supposed to be for all this. They are unsure if after the new gods test the old ones, they will come to test them.
* Suddenly, all of Rhonas's vizier feel sharp pain. They don't understand at first, until they receive news of Rhonas's death from Tuya. Khufu exclaims that this is a lie and a test, and Hapatra tells him to shut up.
* The Locust God is hovering in the air as locusts eat at the Hekma. Kefnet (the blue god) desperately tries to repair the barrier as they do so. Meanwhile, locusts also bite Kefnet.
* As the other viziers gawk, Hapatra takes command and orders everyone to retreat inside the Temple and arm themselves for battle.

* The barrier breaks and mummies swarm inside the city. She runs inside the Temple to her room, where she gathers weapons and smears paralyzing poison on the blades. This is effective even against zombies, since they still use nerves to move.
* She calls her pet basilisk, Tuya, who is gigantic. Mounting the basilisk, she leads the other animals in the temple outside to fight. She casts a spell commanding them to kill the intruders.
* As she fights, she realizes the one to blame for all this is the God-Pharaoh.
* She comes across two children and helps them. Their caretaker mummies are stuck on the last command they were given, so they're constantly serving food to a table now swarmed by locusts.
* She reunites with Tuya, and the two spot Samut and Djeru. Hapatra tells her not to say, "I told you so." They talk, and Samut confirms that they gods didn't knowingly lie to them, but were manipulated by a more powerful force.
* They also spot Gideon and Liliana, but decide not to stop for them. They view them with disdain, and think they should just let the trespassers fight each other.

* They come across Oketra and Kefnet fighting the Scorpion God. Hapatra announces that they are there to take them to safety, realizing how silly that sounds as it comes out of her mouth. Oketra insists that they (the gods) are there to protect them.
* While Kefnet distracts the Scorpion God, Oketra is able to blow his head off.
* However, the sands whirl to reform its head, and it proceeds to kill Kefnet.
* Oketra tells them to flee, but Hapatra instead urges her basilisk forward to fight the Scorpion God. Oketra intercepts an attack from the Scorpion God's stinger and dies.
* The Scorpion God ignores the mortals, looking to the sky for something.
* Hapatra weeps, and others join her at the bodies of the gods. Gideon is there too.
* Hapatra confronts Gideon. She tells him that if the source of this is a trespasser like him, then it's his responsibility to fix it and get out.
* She goes back to Samut and Djeru, saying they must find Bontu and Hazoret.

Can't wait till Friday to see all the aggressive uncommon Exert creatures that'll make all the rares and mythics we've seen so far look completely unplayable in limited.

Exile 3 lands and a 2 drop, timewalk myself, GG

This card is garbage and just shows that Wotc/Maro really have no idea what to do with red. There is 3 mana board wipe and 2 mana 5/4 in this set. How much longer are they going to keep acting like red is in a good spot?
all of those cards are bad, icing lands is a terrible cost increase for a marginal reduction.

This one has at least the upside of potentially winning the game on the spot.

Joe Molotov

Total missed opportunity to not make Hazoret's Undying Fury an instant so I could cascade into a Glorious End (and still lose the game, but it would be fucking sweet).

DrArchon

Powerful in limited. I think Lay Claim might be better though.

I'm split on which I'd rather have. The cycling is really nice, but I've had plenty of games where I wanted to steal something juicy and haven't had enough mana. Tough to imagine that with this new one.

From a purely limited perspective, this is probably the best of the last act cards. Probably not good enough for constructed (why can't it hit walkers?) but that seems to be par for the course with this set.

Hazroet's Last Stand should've been a mega fling that flung all your creatures but that would've been too fun.
One thing they deliberately avoided with these cards is effects that could win the game that turn. That is, effects where the lands not untapping wouldn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom