• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So I'm sensing a theme here.

Ugin, to Jace: "Seal the Eldrazi Titans, killing their mortal forms is probably a bad idea."
Gatewatch: *Burns the Eldrazi*

Ajani, to Gatewatch: "Yo Bolas is pretty dangerous we should probably come up with a plan, let me go recruit some other powerful planeswalkers to help us."
Gatewatch: *Charges head first to Amonkhet recklessly. Gets rekt*

I mean, in fairness, over time its not that bad of a story - you're at first like "WTF how did they win" and then you realize they actually suck and are losing an awful lot, they're just too ignorant to know it.

alternade

So does Tainted Pact just draw your deck until you hit 2 basic lands in EDH? Reading it over and over and it just seems crazy in this format.

From the Mothership daily update, this article points out that with Ramunap Ruins and the other desert "dual lands", we could see a brief Eldrazi deck comeback in Standard.

I mostly disagree with this article, but I do think Struggle // Survive will see some Standard play. When you cast Struggle, your land number will typically be enough to kill whatever you need, and Survive is incidental graveyard hate without taking up a slot.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
From the Mothership daily update, this article points out that with Ramunap Ruins and the other desert "dual lands", we could see a brief Eldrazi deck comeback in Standard.

I don't recall Eldrazi being that much of a player in Standard to begin with.

That occurred to me when I initially saw them. Reality Smasher and Thought Knot are still in standard, but still, without the painlands the mana base will just not support a viable deck IMO.

You want to be two colors plus colorless, but it's too awkward right now.

I didn't know it existed personally. Which storyline introduced it?

I don't think it's a major element in the primary plotline anywhere, but it comes up in Ajani's backstory and gets reinforced by people's sparking stories.

I mean, in fairness, over time its not that bad of a story - you're at first like "WTF how did they win" and then you realize they actually suck and are losing an awful lot, they're just too ignorant to know it.

This is one of the places where the disconnect between how the speed of the story looks internally and externally plays in. Honestly, having the Gatewatch form, think they've gotten a few easy victories while ignoring their elders, and then get totally fuckowned when that catches up to them is a very good direction to take the story, it's just that taking two years to get to even that means it feels like forever to anyone who wasn't feeling particularly patient with them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Honestly my only complaint is that Gideon's Invulnerability is apparently Invulnerability*

Like Bolas should have just cocooned him in rock and chucked him into space

Murder

I mostly disagree with this article, but I do think Struggle // Survive will see some Standard play. When you cast Struggle, your land number will typically be enough to kill whatever you need, and Survive is incidental graveyard hate without taking up a slot.

I absolutely love the Eldrazi cards, but there is such a small chance of this happening with rotation coming soon. The pros it might be a diff story, but everyone else, meh.

The closest thing we really have atm is that mono-red Eldrazi deck Todd Stevens has been jamming.

Firemind

I don't think it's a major element in the primary plotline anywhere, but it comes up in Ajani's backstory and gets reinforced by people's sparking stories.
I don't think it's particularly good writing though, since it possibly puts you against a corner in future plotlines. Gideon seems like a proud man. What if he wants to protect someone very dear to him, but because his spark has its own conscience, it teleports him away from danger against his will? It kind of seems like that's what happened in Amonkhet because he abandoned his friends? I'll forever think Gideon is a giant pussy now.

I don't think it's particularly good writing though, since it possibly puts you against a corner in future plotlines. Gideon seems like a proud man. What if he wants to protect someone very dear to him, but because his spark has its own conscience, it teleports him away from danger against his will? It kind of seems like that's what happened in Amonkhet because he abandoned his friends? I'll forever think Gideon is a giant pussy now.
It's a panic button more than a near death trigger.
Elspeth for instance stayed on Theros when she was skewered.

It's also bad writing.

When I got back into magic I was very confused because planeswalkers could just teleport all over the place when I left, and apparently still could when I came back, except they never do in the story. They jump through so many hoops to try and justify not teleporting everywhere and they handle it very inconsistently. Somehow the conflicts and behaviors of immortal god walkers made far more sense than what we have today.

Angry Grimace

I absolutely love the Eldrazi cards, but there is such a small chance of this happening with rotation coming soon. The pros it might be a diff story, but everyone else, meh.

The closest thing we really have atm is that mono-red Eldrazi deck Todd Stevens has been jamming.

"Mono"-Green Eldrazi Stompy, bay-bee

4x Aether Hub
4x Green Desert
4x Corrupted Crossroads
7x Forest
1x Wastes

4x Attune with Aether
4x Hedron Crawler
4x Foul Emissary
4x Matter Reshaper
4x Eyeless Watcher
4x Thought-Knot Seer
4x Reality Smasher
4x It of the Horrid Swarm
4x Decimator of the Provinces

Angry Grimace

I actually put that deck together on the beta. It's funny.

Ri'Orius

So I've seen some references to an upcoming change to the legend rule, but googling has failed to yield details. Can anyone elaborate? And/or link me to the full text of the change (kind of a rules geek: a brief answer will likely be unsatisfactory)?

So I've seen some references to an upcoming change to the legend rule, but googling has failed to yield details. Can anyone elaborate? And/or link me to the full text of the change (kind of a rules geek: a brief answer will likely be unsatisfactory)?
It's speculation based on Ixalan leaks, which none of the big sites will talk about. It's blurry, but the leaked planeswalker cards appear to now have "legendary" on the type line, and the only reason to do that would be if they were removing the "planeswalker uniqueness rule".

Actual rules change details won't come until September.

My pie-in-the-sky dream is that after the Gatewatch get rekt, Ajani shows up with Dack Fayden, Garruk, and Koth to save the day and stop Bolas from destroying Dominaria. Jace shows up at the last minute out-of-breath and says, "Don't worry guys, I'm here! We can beat Bolas now!"

Ajani shakes his head with a hearty laugh. "Listen, you crazy teens don't need to get involved in this sort of thing. Just go deal with Liliana's demon problems or Slade or whatever it is you kids do and don't get underfoot for the Planeswalker League, okay?"

red13th

Preordered my HOU cube cards. Ramunap Excavator, Abrade (includes), The Scarab God, Adorned Pouncer (possible includes) and Angel of Condemnation (very maybe include). Set is so boring zzzzzzzzz

Ashodin

Yeah I think I might just get a bundle and that's it or something. This set is so lackluster.

I'll order the cards I want later.

I mean, the list is basically "everything." I don't have it in front of me though.

I can tell you that its at the least:

6 Liliana of the Veil (3x MM17, 3x INN)
5 Tarmogoyf (1x MM17, 4x MM15)
4 Scalding Tarn
5 Verdant Catacombs (4 ZEN, 1 MM17)
1 Foil Verdant Catacombs (MM17)
5 Arid Mesa (3 MM17, 2 ZEN)
1 Foil Arid Mesa (MM17)
4 Misty Rainforest (MM17)
5 Marsh Flats (4 ZEN, 1 MM17)
4 Noble Hierarch (MM15)
4 Snapcaster Mage (INN)
8 Thoughtseize (THS)
2 Death's Shadow (MM17)
3 Cavern of Souls (MM17)
3 Fulminator Mage (MM15)
4 Blood Moon (3 The Dark, 1 MM17)
3 Liliana, the Last Hope (EMN)
8 Polluted Delta
9 Windswept Heath
8 Flooded Strand
6 Wooded Foothills
6 Bloodstained Mire
3 Kolaghan's Command
4 Collected Company
2 Kitchen Finks
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
A lot of Path to Exile, including 4 foil Rebecca Guay versions
4 Bitterblossom (MOR)
4 Cryptic Command (MM15)
1 Vendilion Clique (MM15)
6 Eldrazi Temple
1 Engineered Explosides (5DN)
3 Auriok Champion (5DN - I think one of these is Chinese)
4 Chord of Calling (RAV)
2 Damnation (MM17)
I have an Ensnaring Bridge Invention but I have no idea where it is. Probably some box that needs to be cleaned out.
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Probably like 2 of most Shocklands from RTR other than a random set of 2 Guildpact Stomping Grounds. I have a lot of other single cards I'm forgetting though.

I'd be mostly fine with moving any number of them for good prices. No idea on condition, but most of them are NM, although I suppose some of them are probably LP, but I'd have to check on any specific set of cards.

Angry Grimace, you didn't respond to an earlier post and I just remembered this. Do you still have these?

I'm interested in:
2 Death's Shadow (MM17)
2 Liliana, the Last Hope (EMN)
3 Eldrazi Temple
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

Santiako

Part of the "25th Anniversary" celebration, so presumably the anniversary branding and theming will continue throughout 2018.

Now I hope the other two 2018 sets are Otaria and Phyrexia. Let's go full nostalgia.

Edit: wait, I think we only get one other set after Dominaria in 2018 (besides the core set), I don't care, bleed the nostalgia into 2019.

Ashodin

Now I hope the other two 2018 sets are Otaria and Phyrexia. Let's go full nostalgia.

Edit: wait, I think we only get one other set after Dominaria in 2018 (besides the core set), I don't care, bleed the nostalgia into 2019.

I mean, the set after Dominaria could be Dominaria's Plight or something like that. they said they can stay on the same plane if they need to.

Maybe something like "Dominaria: Otaria"?

The future of MTGO has me a little nervous. I am anxious to finally find out some information though, hopefully.

Spoilers: MTGO discontinued, Duels discontinued, new client, new branding, probably the same rules engine, QR codes in packs, no redemption.

And I hope to god they let it be played with just keyboard.

Spoilers: MTGO discontinued, Duels discontinued, new client, new branding, probably the same rules engine, QR codes in packs, no redemption.

And I hope to god they let it be played with just keyboard.

Tanking Duels was one thing but making the card collections obsolete in MTGO might start some riots.

I'll be crying in the corner rocking myself back and forth if you need me.

Well, same rules engine to me implies that collections would carry over, but to your concern a combination of no redemption plus some form of real pack = digital pack would decimate digital collection values.

I can't imagine them discontinuing modo without a cash out plan. There could be literal riots at their hq.

I'd be super happy if they just allow collections to be transferred to the new software.
In fact, values could possibly go up assuming that MDN drives a lot of new players to digital Magic.

Santiako

I'd be super happy if they just allow collections to be transferred to the new software.
In fact, values could possibly go up assuming that MDN drives a lot of new players to digital Magic.

Yeah, of course if you can move your stuff to the new program it would be ideal. I just don't know if it will have support for every card at first though.

The one thing I need from the new MTGO is that they let me play on my phone/tablet.

I cashed out a lot of my MTGO collection awhile back for this very reason. I really have no idea what the new system will be, they could go in so many directions with it. I'm really anxious for the announcement so I can know how to move forward.

I understand the trepidation since usually with a digital model there's no carry-over (ie, whatever DLC/F2P content you buy in an MMO or MOBA or whatever generally won't carry over to the sequel), but I think Magic's market and attendant market expectations are different enough from the usual digital offerings that it's far more sensible to work from a basis of content carry-over.

Their market is more about selling new sets, anyway, so making people have to re-collect a bunch of old cards doesn't profit them enough to be worth the loss of goodwill and consumer confidence.

They'll almost certainly get back to the Phyrexians soon, although probably on some other world.

I mean, the set after Dominaria could be Dominaria's Plight or something like that. they said they can stay on the same plane if they need to.

I kinda doubt they'll actually spend two sets there, though. It's the first standalone large set of this new plan and the next thing afterwards will be a core set. I would expect more that after rebooting the world concept a little and switching to this new storytelling standard that they'll be able to go back much sooner the next time.

Multiplatform -- I expect you to be able to play the same account on PC, Mac and mobile -- and F2P.

I can't imagine them discontinuing modo without a cash out plan. There could be literal riots at their hq.

I doubt very strongly that they'll have a one-for-one collection equivalent when this thing launches. I think it's more likely to have a way to get currency for the new system based on your MTGO collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom