• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, probably my last post on this deck list since I don't want to dominate the page with these lists. I do appreciate the feedback, it was fun just getting the idea down.

I took out the 4 Shard Volley, added 3 Searing Blaze and one more K-Command because I think it's a good versatile card that can do some burn, get a creature back, but also nail Chalice of the Void which would wreck this deck.
Creatures

4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Snapcaster Mage

Spells

4 Bump in the Night
4 Fatal Push
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Searing Blaze
4 SkullCrack
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Rift Bolt

Lands

2 Blood Crypt
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Island
4 Polluted Delta
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Steam Vents
1 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

Sideboard

3 Shattering Spree
3 Rakdos Charm
4 Terminate
3 Blood moon
2 Exquisite Firecraft

Okay, probably my last post on this deck list since I don't want to dominate the page with these lists. I do appreciate the feedback, it was fun just getting the idea down.

I took out the 4 Shard Volley, added 3 Searing Blaze and one more K-Command because I think it's a good versatile card that can do some burn, get a creature back, but also nail Chalice of the Void which would wreck this deck.
Don't you need some Engineered Explosives and or countersqualls for the sideboard? And Izzet Static caster for that matter.

noquarter

If I wanted to buy a playset of every Modern-legal card (or at least the relevant ones), what's the best way to go about that? eBay didn't really give me anything with the search terms I tried. I'd prefer not to just buy the individual cards/decks.

Thanks
Best bet would be to try to find a place that sells completed sets and buying 4 of each Modern Masters set. If you did that, you would have most of them, just need to get a playset of Ally fetches and Shocklands. There would be some other cards to get too, but you would be easily able to trade your two extra sets of Goyfs into that stuff.

Would be expensive though. MTGGoldfish has the sets coming out to about $10k to get playsets of them. Should really just proxy some decks and play them with friends to see what you like and build that.

Here's my current HOU Standard decklist, but people on cockatrice play a bunch of weird shit so I don't know how great it is. Archfiend of Ifnir is super good against the white aggro Monument decks, though, and Yahenni's Expertise into Drake Haven is my jam.

capture4gkdi.png

Note: I have a Perpetual Timepiece in the sideboard because the deck isn't super quick and I keep running into people playing blue mill decks.

Supast4r

why are you playing snapcaster mage? Burn is about killing asap not grinding imho. Your list seems really grindy. I would recommend the snapcaster mage spell queller deck over this. Here is an example of it (http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=16093&d=299166&f=MO) If you want counterburn this is the best place to go.

why are you playing snapcaster mage? Burn is about killing asap not grinding imho. Your list seems really grindy. I would recommend the snapcaster mage spell queller deck over this. Here is an example of it (http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=16093&d=299166&f=MO) If you want counterburn this is the best place to go.

It could be bad. I don't know. It seemed worth thinking about at least.
Bolt > Snap > Bolt is so much fun.

We've had the discussion before here that Snap should have been a red card rather than blue. Then there's Bump in the Night that makes you want to think about black, which is one of the best colors in Modern. There was just a Black Burn deck that was being tossed around a couple of weeks ago. Then I was looking at Time Shifted cards to see what I have overlooked and didn't know that was legal in Modern and I came across Psionic Blast. I'm not saying it's a great card but it's a blue burn spell, basically. Add all of that together and I wanted to see what a Grixis burn deck would look like.

I just finished a single player pre-release event. I won 2, lost 2, and my final game went to time. I actually had a decent green/white pool, with a few nice beaters, so I can't complain too much.

I got that 4-drop 3/3 repeated exiling angel. She would have been awesome, had she lived long enough to activate in any game. She immediately ate a kill spell probably 5-6 times total.

I did get this jank win con working once:
Image.ashx

That's all I wanted today, to crank out an indestructible horse army. It happened exactly once, so it was a good day, even if I only won a single pack.

Also, fuck that scorpion god. That thing is insane, eating away all creatures and drawing tons of cards.

Yeef

Did my usual 5 prereleases. Most of my pools were middling or bad, but my 5th pool was pretty nuts. Also had a Bolas and the green Exert Cat that I wasn't playing. Managed to build this thing. The Scorpion God is even better that I expected. He draws so many cards.

Here is my EDH deck. It's my first one, go soft.

Commander:
Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Colorless Creatures:
Eldrazi Devastator
Kozilek's Channeler
Emrakel, the Promised End
Lashweed Lurker

Black Creatures:
Kozilek's Shrieker
Nightmare
Pitiless Vizier
Shambling Attendants
Merciless Javelineer
Liliana's Elite
Liliana, Death Wielder
Hagra SharpShooter
Twins of Maurer Estate
Slaughter Drone
Reaver Drone

Red Creatures:
Falkenrath Reaver
Stensia Innkeeper
Wolf of Devil's Breach
Terror of the Fairgrounds
Furyblade Vampire
Vildin-Pack Outcast
Insatiable Gorgers
Pyre Hound
Conduit of Storms
Breakneck Rider
Brazen Wolves

Colorless Spells
Mardu Banner
Terrarion
Cathar's Shield
Cultist's Staff

Black Spells:
Boon of Emrakul
Liliana's Influence
Whispers of Emrakul
Macabre Waltz
Murder
Throttle
Grotesque Mutation
Prying Questions
Strange Augmentation
Harsh Scrutiny

Red Spells:
Savage Alliance
Incentiary Flow
Devour in Flames
Tormenting Voice
Otherworldly Outburst
Shreds of Sanity
Borrowed Hostility
Cathartic Reunion
Demolish
Blood Mist
Prophetic Ravings

Special Lands
Blighted Gorge
Blighted Fen
Evolving Wilds
Warped Landscape

Swamps x 22
Mountain x 21

And I just now realized that I had duplicates of Kozilek's Shieker and Boon of Emrakul, so I need a replacement black creature and spell

Ashodin

Did my usual 5 prereleases. Most of my pools were middling or bad, but my 5th pool was pretty nuts. Also had a Bolas and the green Exert Cat that I wasn't playing. Managed to build this thing. The Scorpion God is even better that I expected. He draws so many cards.

uh what the FUCK

Zocano

What would you guys say are good anti eldrazi cards for affinity? My sb is severely lacking them and I see a ton of eldrazi at my lgs.

Neoweee

Hour of Devestation's biggest limited problem is that it has to played with Amonkhet. I have no tolerance anymore for Liliana or the other BS super bomb rares and mythics.

The Scorpion God is even better that I expected. He draws so many cards.
Seriously. Not only that, but the -1/-1 counter machine gun makes combat totally unfair. It lets you trade up or just beat out otherwise fair fights. I was on the receiving end of this and it's totally miserable, haha.

Violet_0

Banned
Hour of Devestation's biggest limited problem is that it has to played with Amonkhet. I have no tolerance anymore for Liliana or the other BS super bomb rares and mythics.

hey now, it's been like this for almost every set since ... uh, removals got somewhat worse? That's part of limited - draw an insane card pool, proceed to stomp your opponents. The real challenge and fun is in winning with bad cards!

MrDoctor

BeDyQ51.png

Missing: Frilled Sandwalla, Gilded Cerodon, Khenra Scrapper, Sand Strangler, Thorned Moloch

went 5-1 with this at saturday's pre-release. lost my first top 8 match against a dimir control deck that tapped down my glorybringer with an enchantment. green removal with prowess can be ridiculous. might have been better if i splashed black instead for the 3/1 flyers

Yeah-no. My Hour of Devastation packs were completely unplayable garbage outside of a clutch of Ambuscades. This format absolutely cannot work without the Amonkhet cards, it would be a field of 1/2's sissy slap-fighting against a backdrop of 75% removal decks.

went 4-0 at a prerelease. the value is so low that i'd be lucky to recoup $1.50 of the $30 i spent to enter

it was fun though. the format feels like it'll be a lot more interactive than the exertion damage race of triple amonkhet

cycling continued to impress. it just saves so many games from turning into flood/screw garbage

Wulfric

My prerelease was okay. I liked it better than Amonkhet.

I don't remember what my rares were. They were worth nothing. I got a foil Titus Lunter Plains, on a positive note.

Supast4r

It could be bad. I don't know. It seemed worth thinking about at least.
Bolt > Snap > Bolt is so much fun.

We've had the discussion before here that Snap should have been a red card rather than blue. Then there's Bump in the Night that makes you want to think about black, which is one of the best colors in Modern. There was just a Black Burn deck that was being tossed around a couple of weeks ago. Then I was looking at Time Shifted cards to see what I have overlooked and didn't know that was legal in Modern and I came across Psionic Blast. I'm not saying it's a great card but it's a blue burn spell, basically. Add all of that together and I wanted to see what a Grixis burn deck would look like.
The issue is that his list is just a burn deck with snap inserted in the deck. That is just a worse strategy hence why I suggested trying a counterburn strat.

Tunoku

Here's my prerelease deck from Sunday:
Highlights involved countering an attempt to copy an Abrade using the UR Aftermath card with Jace Gets Dunkend On™ and countering a Djeru fetch a Planeswalker trigger by cycling the birdie. I even had Liliana Gets Dunked On™ for their Liliana in the sideboard!
Oh and Torment of Hailfire was actually pretty dope. No way it's gonna work that well in draft though.

What would you guys say are good anti eldrazi cards for affinity? My sb is severely lacking them and I see a ton of eldrazi at my lgs.

Depends on what your list currently looks like. Ceremonious Rejection is probably the best thing against them for an aggro deck. Dispatch is also probably solid. If you don't have main deck Master of Etherium that's a thing to consider.

How low do you go in EDH if you're running all the 1 mana blue cantrips?

I think I might have gone way overboard on lands when I rebuild my Zur deck with something like 37 lands. I should probably go down on lands and put in something like censor street wraith and a couple more mana rocks a la fellwar stone and such.

Also another great interaction with Rebound is Buyback since you can pay the buyback costs when you cast it for free of rebound. There's sadly only 2 cards where that effect is useful in that regard in UW

Random thought, Hour of Devastation would be a great scenario for an arcade rail-shooter. You can even have the mandatory annoying swarm of flying bugs!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
WotC gonna keep on doing their thang and pretending that the future doesn't exist:

Over the history of Magic Online, we have published a steady stream of decklists for players to explore and learn from, but the way we do that has changed over time. Our current method for presenting decklists for Magic Online Leagues is to randomly select ten of the top-performing decklists per format per day. Starting July 10, we will be reducing the total number of top decklists being presented per day from ten to five, and each of these decklists will be randomly selected with the caveat that each list will be at least ten cards different from every other list.

With all that said, the way we've been presenting decklists from Magic Online is particularly prone to pushing metagames toward becoming homogenous or "solved" extremely quickly. Since we have been presenting a random selection of top-performing decks, even if a deck doesn't have a particularly high win rate, it can appear to be extremely dominant if it's widely played. With only this information, it's not possible to disentangle win percentage and metagame percentage. This can lead, and at times has led, to feedback cycles where a deck appears more dominant than it would otherwise, which leads to an even greater percentage of play.

bigkrev

DEYvmymWsAAmwTW.jpg

https://t.co/pDfwFOxc20

"You fuckers are solving our metagame too quickly, we are taking away even more data from people who can't playtest 40 hours a week and hope that fixes everything"

Also, as Ari Lax points out on twitter- the one ban last year that NO ONE saw coming, Reflector Mage, was made purely due to data, so maybe the data isn't as effective if no one predicted that as a ban?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The decklist posting change might be the dumbest fucking shit I've ever seen. Burying your head in the sand on a whole new level honestly.

Santiako

The worst thing about this is that they say it is to prevent misconceptions about decks dominating, but then they curate the 5 lists to instil the misconception they actually want about deck diversity.

DrArchon

So, is there just gonna be no way to tell at a glance if a deck is taking MTGO by storm anymore? If WotC curates the lists and prevents even similar decks from showing up, all that's going to do is create an artificial view that "everything's fine no shut up it really is".

What a terrible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom