• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Channel Fireball has the four upcoming Commander decks as a preorder sale of $109.

I'm tempted but I think I really am only going to want the Dragon and Vampire decks (my son and daughter expressed interested in those two).

I wonder what crazy chase cards may show up in them to make it worth preordering... They are a pretty good value regardless, assuming they are like the last crop.

Wulfric

Uhh, did something happen that I don't know about? No clue what could've caused such a dramatic drop.

552z8yZ.jpg

Or maybe Crystal Commerce is just acting weird.

This set is a ton of fun to draft. It's not ridiculously complex but most of the games feel fair and everyone has the tools to beat the opposition. I managed to win through a turn 4 sifter wurm with the Desert Cerodon and Ahn-Crop Crasher on my side. I still groan every time I see a God.

i am liking it so far, but there might be too many board wipes

alternade

Channel Fireball has the four upcoming Commander decks as a preorder sale of $109.

I'm tempted but I think I really am only going to want the Dragon and Vampire decks (my son and daughter expressed interested in those two).

I wonder what crazy chase cards may show up in them to make it worth preordering... They are a pretty good value regardless, assuming they are like the last crop.
I always preorder the full set once it's available. Bought 3 sets of the last Commander decks and now I'm sitting on 2 unopened Atraxa decks that have gone up to $100+

Justin

Some A+++ writing in todays story

Nicol Bolas flew toward the heroes, eager to kill someone today.

Either he would have deaths, screams, and blood, or he would, perhaps, have something better.

He did not expect to have both. One could not have everything. Not even Nicol Bolas. He was not greedy. Greed implies wanting something you didn't deserve.

Everything Nicol Bolas wanted was entirely deserved.

Over the long years, Nicol Bolas knew it served him poorly to be too much the dragon. But it was no fun to be the dragon too little.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/hour-devastation-2017-07-26

Justin

Wait is that seriously a line in there? What the fuck.

yes... yes it is.

Oh, they probably had a plan. A plan, charitably, could consist of kill the dragon. Or, you burn it, you zombie it, you elemental it, you illusion it, you block it. These were all, given enough leeway, plans. And plans of similar competence had served them well enough in their recent escapades. Nicol Bolas could appreciate efficiency. Why bother being smart when the Multiverse so conveniently conspired to keep your idiocy alive?
I think it is supposed to be tongue and cheek about how one dimensional the Gatewatch are but it is just bad.

I can only assume the person tasked with writing these also has like 100 other things on their plate but I really have no idea.

Violet_0

Banned
the writers probably just work under the assumption that everyone who values competent writing has abandoned the story articles long ago

Zocano

Like I thought last week's story article was actually fairly alright and well written but this is just reading like a farce.

Santiako

I thought it was alright, I enjoyed their defeats, and I enjoyed Bolas being very theatrical, it fits him.

That bomb at the end though,
Ral Zarek is a Bolas Agent

There's a thread on reddit about a DQ at GP toronto and I'm once again baffled how judges defend both the no tolerance policy by Wotc but also the concession begging.
It doesn't dawn on them that the initiation is just as harmful as incorrectly trying to carry it through.

DrArchon

OK, this doesn't answer my biggest question though.

What does Bolas need an army for?

Bolas has one goal that we know of: Get back to being an old-walker. What place could he possibly invade would allow him to achieve that? And come to think of that, what place couldn't Bolas invade on his own? Even when he's not an old-walker, he's still Bolas and could probably do some serious damage to a plane if he wanted to.

Cool bombshell that
Ral Zarek is working for Bolas
. Hope it lead to the inevitable
Bolas vs Niv-Mizzet
showdown at some point.

OnPoint

The story would have been so much better if they left all that Bolas stuff in the beginning out. It's pretty much the heaviest anchor ever and it just weighs the rest of the story down so hard.

Zocano

The story would have been so much better if they left all that Bolas stuff in the beginning out. It's pretty much the heaviest anchor ever and it just weighs the rest of the story down so hard.

Yah honestly the rest isn't that bad but that opening few paragraphs... woof.

OK, this doesn't answer my biggest question though.

What does Bolas need an army for?

Bolas has one goal that we know of: Get back to being an old-walker. What place could he possibly invade would allow him to achieve that? And come to think of that, what place couldn't Bolas invade on his own? Even when he's not an old-walker, he's still Bolas and could probably do some serious damage to a plane if he wanted to.

Cool bombshell that
Ral Zarek is working for Bolas
. Hope it lead to the inevitable
Bolas vs Niv-Mizzet
showdown at some point.

Dominaria.

Eh, Wizards, you need some help?

I won't respect any of your lore if I don't like it, I won't push any of your products if they don't interest me, and I don't work well with designers who fancy themselves narrative creators. I can, however, form complete, coherent sentences and write a dragon in a way that doesn't make it look like his internal thoughts are instagrams.

Hit me up.

kirblar

I believe so.

Feels like they are done so without editing from a composition standpoint. Either that, or this is the "good" version. I'd hate to see the first draft if that's the case.
They definitely have good writers and bad writers. Digges has been one of the good ones.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Chandra is dumb for being upset that Liliana left. She didn't have any other option because they were all too stupid to listen to Ajani.

Like there was no rational reason any of them didn't bounce as soon as they figured out Bolas was clearly like 30 levels higher than them.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
One of my coworkers was kind enough to pick this up for me at Comic Con and ship the whole thing in a giant-ass box.

Now, I just have to go back and get last year's and I will maintain my complete collection.

Santiako

A reminder that the pro tour is in two days, so pick up any cards you want for standard before then, since the prices usually rise.

Dominaria.

Only thing is, what in Dominaria is stopping an invasion? When we go back there will it have been built up again? The apocalypse and mending are still fairly recent. And would they really invade Dominaria a second time? The only reason this stands out as a prime candidate is because the only other one is Ravnica, and thats too popular to drastically change with an invasion storyline.

Justin

A reminder that the pro tour is in two days, so pick up any cards you want for standard before then, since the prices usually rise.

Anything stand out as undercosted at the moment?

I see Abrade is up over a dollar since when I bought a playset last week and if the RDW deck is popular Earthshaker Kenra could go up some. Maybe God-Pharaoh's Gift?

Hour of Devastation if UR is the breakout deck.
Only thing is, what in Dominaria is stopping an invasion? When we go back there will it have been built up again? The apocalypse and mending are still fairly recent. And would they really invade Dominaria a second time? The only reason this stands out as a prime candidate is because the only other one is Ravnica, and thats too popular to drastically change with an invasion storyline.
was't dominaria pretty solid back after the medning?

Burza, Urza's identical grandson. He's a Planeswalker AND a Phyrexian.
And totally green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom