• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
just one control deck and it was UB.

RDW just brutally demolishes UR Control from the matches I've seen. That might be the worst match-up any deck has against it.

You can't really "Control" someone burning your face off with a bunch of lands, and cheap Haste creatures with ETB effects generally line up well against tempo play.

Violet_0

Banned
a bunch of Kalitas, and then a few of various other lifegain cards like Gifted Aetherbond, Jaddi Offshoot, Aethersphere Harvester. And one of the top 8 runs 4 Kozilek's Return. Pretty uninspired countermeasures for RDW, but I guess Kalitas alone just messes with that deck. #9 went all in

RDW just brutally demolishes UR Control from the matches I've seen. That might be the worst match-up any deck has against it.

You can't really "Control" someone burning your face off with a bunch of lands, and cheap Haste creatures with ETB effects generally line up well against tempo play.

oh yeah I'm not surprised at all by this result. Cancel is a terrible card when it counters 1 or 2 mana cards.

Wulfric

New photos of Ajani from Wonderfest in Louisville. Courtesy of the NeoGAF for fancy statues forum.
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=153087&page=25

This will be an excellent resource for fursuit- I mean, cosplayers. Yep.

aScYWeY.jpg
qNOEKOJ.jpg
qU55pns.jpg
NVKLwVl.jpg

his head looks comically large on 2 of these pictures there might be the angle

In EDH ramblings I'm considering making a hidden commander deck for the first time with these three.
basically a big mana ramp deck that can work well with thrasios and vial smasher but goes off with neheb. I love the design of this guy but no way in hell will I play monored.

Cool, I use my PS4 to watch Youtube usually, Google tells me there is also a Twitch PS4 app so I will give that a go when I get home. Thanks

Also, this might sound like a really dumb question.. but whats the big deal about ramunap ruins in decks that dont require colourless mana? Is it really the ability to pay 4 sac a desert and deal 2 damage? That doesn't seem like that big a deal.

Cool, I use my PS4 to watch Youtube usually, Google tells me there is also a Twitch PS4 app so I will give that a go when I get home. Thanks

Also, this might sound like a really dumb question.. but whats the big deal about ramunap ruins in decks that dont require colourless mana? Is it really the ability to pay 4 sac a desert and deal 2 damage? That doesn't seem like that big a deal.

Turns your land draws onto shocks and helps you close out games. RDW always has trouble getting over the top if the game goes long and Ramunap provides that extra 4-6 damage you need to win once your opponent has stabilized the board.

Drafted the best deck of my life today (not saying much, but still). One poor guy saw Rhonas's Last Stand T2 into Croc of the Crossing T4 into green cartouche T5 both games. Other achievements include responding to opponent's Ambuscade with my Ambuscade (yes, please) and using Rhonas's Champ to put Chaos Maw into play (it really wasn't very good, but fun to do!).

This draft also marks the first time I've ever passed a planeswalker. Opened Nissa and opted for the Exemplar of Strength instead. That card is outrageous.

You lured me back with mummies and I'm staying for draft. Limited is so good. Thanks MaRo!

A goofy hypothetical in a Blogatog question lead to this discussion that I, at least, found pretty amusing of the actual strategic breakdown between the all-Hornet-Sting deck and the all-Mons's-Goblin-Raiders deck.

Reach is one of the single most important things for a red aggro/burn deck. A lot of the time you get stranded with the opponent at 2 or 3 life or something but enough control over the board to just steamroll you before you can get it in. A land that can deal damage means you have more total threats (since you're using a land slot, not a regular spell/creature slot), it's uncounterable, and in this case it doesn't cost you the ability to make {R} when you need it. That makes the difference in a lot of close games.

A_Dang

You said that as a joke, but there is some design space there. Collector numbers are ordered by card frame type (typically color then special frames) so a card that had you set a range of, say, 20 collector numbers and boosted spells in that range could send you in interesting directions while drafting and deck building. You could go monocolored by centering yourself in that color, or two color by setting yourself at the boundary. Or "mono gold", etc.

As that gets into the nitty gritty of the card, that would appeal more to the Mel aesthetic group, while watermarks appeal more to Vorthos, who cares about flavor.

I was only 50% joking about it, but doubt it would ever happen in a black border set because so many cards do not have collectors numbers.

OnPoint

In other news, a game of Magic in Minnesota turned violent...

A 31-year-old man has been charged with stabbing another guy seven times—and hitting him with a mallet—after an argument broke out during a game of Magic: The Gathering.
Police say Creech hit the guy in the head with a rubber mallet, then stabbed him seven times in the front, sides, and back of his neck. Creech ended up calling 911, worrying the man was going to die. Luckily, the victim was taken to the hospital and his injuries don't look to be life-threatening.

Source: Gizmodo

Glad the injuries are not life threatening. Equipment jokes seem fitting here.

A 31-year-old man has been charged with stabbing another guy seven times—and hitting him with a mallet—after an argument broke out during a game of Magic: The Gathering.
Police say Creech hit the guy in the head with a rubber mallet, then stabbed him seven times in the front, sides, and back of his neck. Creech ended up calling 911, worrying the man was going to die. Luckily, the victim was taken to the hospital and his injuries don’t look to be life-threatening.

It's a dangerous world out there for control players.

bigkrev

Police say Creech hit the guy in the head with a rubber mallet, then stabbed him seven times in the front, sides, and back of his neck. Creech ended up calling 911, worrying the man was going to die. Luckily, the victim was taken to the hospital and his injuries don’t look to be life-threatening.

Sounds like me in the average EDH game where everyone else is just durdling around, the game started 2 hours ago, and someone just activated Top for the second time in one turn without any other library manipulation

Sounds like me in the average EDH game where everyone else is just durdling around, the game started 2 hours ago, and someone just activated Top for the second time in one turn without any other library manipulation

hey i gotta know if I was an idiot.

MaRo said:
Nicol Bolas: I'm back!

The Scarab God: It's great to see you again. Can't believe it's been 60 years.

Nicol Bolas: How's our little project going?

The Scarab God: Excellent! We are ahead of schedule.

Nicol Bolas: That's good to hear. Can I see my army?

The Scarab God: Absolutely, walk this way.

Nicol Bolas follows The Scarab God into a room.

Nicol Bolas: This is it?

The Scarab God: Yes!

Nicol Bolas: Two Planeswalkers? My army is two Planeswalkers?

The Scarab God: The average for our population so far would be 1.3. The fact that we have two is super lucky.

Nicol Bolas: How are my master plans going to work with two Planeswalkers? The four of us in this room couldn't even form a basketball team!

The Scarab God: If your plans involve basketball, we could ask The Locust God to help us. If flying isn't illegal, he'd be great at dunking.

Nicol Bolas: Two Planeswalkers?! Two!

Samut: If you're going to keep yelling, I'm out of here.

And scene.
this is oddly specific chances for another amonkhetti PW?

OnPoint

That Maro quote: I get that a good majority of the player base does not have any idea about the leaks, but man...what a lame and easy wink and nod.

Also it's grammatically awful. Should have phrased it:

"Join me next week when I let the cat out of the bag"

Pretty awful phrasing for a writer, especially since "the cat" is already out of "the bag".

A_Dang

Also it's grammatically awful. Should have phrased it:

"Join me next week when I let the cat out of the bag"

Pretty awful phrasing for a writer, especially since "the cat" is already out of "the bag".

Maybe he does mean that in between this article and his next article the "the cat" will have been let out of "the bag."

OnPoint

Who said Wizards? Good call.

Maybe he does mean that in between this article and his next article the "the cat" will have been let out of "the bag."
But his quote is implying the cat is in the bag haha

Doesn't matter. Poor, awkward phrasing either way.

alternade

his head looks comically large on 2 of these pictures there might be the angle

In EDH ramblings I'm considering making a hidden commander deck for the first time with these three.

basically a big mana ramp deck that can work well with thrasios and vial smasher but goes off with neheb. I love the design of this guy but no way in hell will I play monored.

Just built Vial Smasher+Tharsios. Worldgorger combo or any infinite mana plus Tharsios is GG for the table

red13th

Grixis Wizards? Interesting. I wish they reprinted a few wizards that I could really use such as Glen Elendra Archmage and Sower of Temptation (I know they're more associated with Faeries but they ARE wizards).

A_Dang

Who said Wizards? Good call.

But his quote is implying the cat is in the bag haha

Doesn't matter. Poor, awkward phrasing either way.

Right. I would still have preferred something other than the most obvious word-play when teasing the commander reveals.

Just built Vial Smasher+Tharsios. Worldgorger combo or any infinite mana plus Tharsios is GG for the table
There's a big difference between infinite and a ton of mana and I'm not interested in making infinite.

Thrasios is a terribly designed Commander btw. Normally you'd run out of gas making a deck that's all mana but not with an azure mage in the command zone that gives you access to 4 colurs only costs 2 and ramps you.

OnPoint

Right. I would still have preferred something other than the most obvious word-play when teasing the commander reveals.
Agreed. Sometimes he is clever, most notably in the comics he makes. And sometimes he is mega corny/obvious, like this. I guess we have to take what we get from him ultimately haha

alternade

There's a big difference between infinite and a ton of mana and I'm not interested in making infinite.

Thrasios is a terribly designed Commander btw. Normally you'd run out of gas making a deck that's all mana but not with an azure mage in the command zone that gives you access to 4 colurs only costs 2 and ramps you.

If partners is a mechanic that they continue with than he will be the defacto of who pairs best with him. Having an always available mana sink for 2 mana is insane.

I played with him last night and turn 4 I had all my lands out.

A_Dang

Agreed. Sometimes he is clever, most notably in the comics he makes. And sometimes he is mega corny/obvious, like this. I guess we have to take what we get from him ultimately haha

I love painfully obvious humor, if he had taken a few more steps into "dad joke" territory I'd likely appreciate it.

Yeef

The line is a lot more cryptic had the GW cat not leaked. Giving the lead times, this article would have been written slightly before or slightly after the leak.

OnPoint

I love painfully obvious humor, if he had taken a few more steps into "dad joke" territory I'd likely appreciate it.
Agreed. You're good people.

The line is a lot more cryptic had the GW cat not leaked. Giving the lead times, this article would have been written slightly before or slightly after the leak.
I'm not upset by the spirit. I'm actually upset by how oddly phrased it is. Cryptic or not, it's weirdly constructed. Might not care if he didn't bring up that he was a writer so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom