• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Played a modern event tonight in preparation for SCG Syracuse this weekend. Went 2-1-1.

Biggest complaint: I am not good enough. lol I need to not miss triggers or forget about graveyard stuff.

Biggest question: Do I add a Crucuble or two to my GB Tron list? I figure it's basically the same as Map if my opponent is playing Ghost Quarter or Fulminator. I could cut a Star or slot then in the SB.

I want to make day 2 this year. We will see.

Santiako

Played a modern event tonight in preparation for SCG Syracuse this weekend. Went 2-1-1.

Biggest complaint: I am not good enough. lol I need to not miss triggers or forget about graveyard stuff.

Biggest question: Do I add a Crucuble or two to my GB Tron list? I figure it's basically the same as Map if my opponent is playing Ghost Quarter or Fulminator. I could cut a Star or slot then in the SB.

I'm not a fan of crucible without ways to abuse it, but hard to know without the deck list.

everyone and their mother plays Kalitas now if they can run him. It was weird that he wasn't in that many decks before RDW was a thing

I still two play Kalitas in Modern Jund, though I believe that he's fallen out of favor lately and it seems players want to go back to Huntmaster. The reason I think is because Huntmaster is more immediate value whenever he hits the board. However, Kalitas just does so much work and I think in the long run he is a beast! The lifegain is awesome but also just popping out Zombies that he could even eat later.

I'm just a big Kalitas fan and have been for some time now. If I played Standard I'd have to play him.

I'm not a fan of crucible without ways to abuse it, but hard to know without the deck list.

I think that RG Tron uses one Ghost Quarter so it's unlikely he could go on his own Ghost Quarter lockout on his opponent.

OnPoint

My list is as follows, off the top of my head:
Main deck
4x Chromatic Star - 4x Chromatic Sphere
4x Ancient Stirrings - 4x Expedition Map
4x Sylvan Scrying - 3x Fatal Push
3x Relic of Prog - 3x Oblivion Stone
2x Wurmcoil - 2x Worldbreaker
2x Ulamog 2.0 - 4x Karn - 2x Ugin
4x Tron 1 - 4x Tron 2
4x Tron 3 - 4x Blooming Marsh
1x Sanctum - 1x Forest - 1x Swamp

Sideboard
2x Seal of Primordium - 3x Collective Brutality
3x Devour Flesh - 2x Ravenous Trap
2x Thragtusk - 1x Thoughtseize
1x Engineered Explosives - 1x Emrakul 2.0

My random thoughts:

The deck gets hurt by land destro hard, and land destro is in. Ghost Quarter and Fulminator are big threats. So I could counteract that by putting in one or two Crucible of Worlds. I could slot one in for something, either a Relic or maybe an Oblivion Stone. And then I could maybe put one in the sideboard.

That said, having Crucible means I could add recursion to my deck. I figure I could cut a Blooming Marsh in the main for a Ghost Quarter (they are fucking awful in mutliples and late in the game). I could probably go down a Collective Brutality or a Devour Flesh in the sideboard for another Ghost Quarter for matches where I really want two (honestly the Brutalities didn't come in once tonight, not 100% sure what matchup I want them for).

I have not made these changes. They're just ideas. I'd be curious to hear what folks think.

Bandini

I like playing a Crucible in SB. I was playing GB Tron on MTGO for a few months earlier this year, but ended up trading out due to getting tired of constantly fighting through post-SB hate. Crucible helps a lot in that regard. Also, Stony Silence is being played a lot less now due to more people using those slots for graveyard hate or other stuff.

I'd just recommend getting in as many reps as you can with the deck. Modern is a format that really punishes mistakes and the only way to not make them is to learn from previous ones.

I just want to know what the Vampire commander's eminence ability is. I was brewing vampire tribal with Oloro as the commander, and am hoping I can just swap commanders as the deck is almost entirely white and black, and the lifegain thing was the big theme.

OnPoint

Sorry y'all, didn't mean to kill the thread with my Tron questions!

I think I'm going to borrow 2 Crucibles from a friend and try this out though. Hopefully I make a splash this year in Syracuse :)

Santiako

My list is as follows, off the top of my head:

My random thoughts:

The deck gets hurt by land destro hard, and land destro is in. Ghost Quarter and Fulminator are big threats. So I could counteract that by putting in one or two Crucible of Worlds. I could slot one in for something, either a Relic or maybe an Oblivion Stone. And then I could maybe put one in the sideboard.

That said, having Crucible means I could add recursion to my deck. I figure I could cut a Blooming Marsh in the main for a Ghost Quarter (they are fucking awful in mutliples and late in the game). I could probably go down a Collective Brutality or a Devour Flesh in the sideboard for another Ghost Quarter for matches where I really want two (honestly the Brutalities didn't come in once tonight, not 100% sure what matchup I want them for).

I have not made these changes. They're just ideas. I'd be curious to hear what folks think.

Personally, I wouldn't run Crucible at all, at least never in the main. I don't think it does anything for you, and the sideboard aplication seems so narrow that I wouldn't run them there either. You already have 12 land searchers to fight against land destruction, Crucible is way clunkier than any of them.

I'll help.

299.jpg

I actually had this on the table finally the other day and it makes the game super weird, as you can imagine, lol

I was trying to pair it with Ball Lightning-type guys and I think it's pretty sweet, but Imposing Sovereign (opponent's creatures come into play tapped) made it way more difficult.

OnPoint

Personally, I wouldn't run Crucible at all, at least never in the main. I don't think it does anything for you, and the sideboard aplication seems so narrow that I wouldn't run them there either. You already have 12 land searchers to fight against land destruction, Crucible is way clunkier than any of them.

I ran into the same issue last year playing against Eldrazi Tron though. You don't always have a land searcher, despite there being 12 in the deck. I know that I won't always have Crucible as well, but I hate just folding to that deck if it ends up with 2 Quarters in the first 4 turns. It somehow always does haha

You could be right. I at least want to test it.

Santiako

I ran into the same issue last year playing against Eldrazi Tron though. You don't always have a land searcher, despite there being 12 in the deck. I know that I won't always have Crucible as well, but I hate just folding to that deck if it ends up with 2 Quarters in the first 4 turns. It somehow always does haha

You could be right. I at least want to test it.

Sure, trying it is always better than talking theory like we are right now. GB Tron won the last modern challenge in mtgo btw, I think the list is almost exactly like yours but he's playing a ghost quarter main, so the Crucible could do some extra work:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/modern-challenge-2017-07-30

OnPoint

Sure, trying it is always better than talking theory like we are right now. GB Tron won the last modern challenge in mtgo btw, I think the list is almost exactly like yours but he's playing a ghost quarter main, so the Crucible could do some extra work:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/modern-challenge-2017-07-30

oh cool!

What matchup would you bring in the Collective Brutalities? I played Shadow, E Tron, GR Tron and Dredge last night and wanted it in none of those.

Santiako

oh cool!

What matchup would you bring in the Collective Brutalities? I played Shadow, E Tron, GR Tron and Dredge last night and wanted it in none of those.

Not against any of those, but it's the best card in the format against Burn (one of your worst matchups) and it's fantastic against spell based combo decks (Storm, Ad Naus, Scapeshift) and small creature decks (affinity, d&t, coco decks, etc).

OnPoint

Not against any of those, but it's the best card in the format against Burn (one of your worst matchups) and it's fantastic against spell based combo decks (Storm, Ad Naus, Scapeshift) and small creature decks (affinity, d&t, coco decks, etc).

Hm good point about Burn. I forget that's a deck until I'm on fire.

jph139

I was able to make a small profit on the last 2 years, but be aware that the box these come in is fucking enormous and a bitch to ship without loosing your ass

I got the one from 2015 and - yeah, it was a bit much. Thankfully flip Jace was running for about $200 alone, so I could happily split them up. Got to keep the art book too, which is a nice bonus...

I might do the same here - that Bolas print is gorgeous. Wish that was on the card!

Don't think it was in stock and the page was just put up.

From the description:

Item will be available to order on 8/14/2017.

It was up earlier, but it seems like that was an error, since they officially announced the 14th a few days ago. My order went through, though, so they'll probably just have fewer stock on the 14th?

The Hasbro event where they are supposedly talking about Digital Next is starting in 5 minutes. The link is below if you want to watch. I assume they will talk about My Little Pony and Transformers for an hour then show one screen shot of MDN and call it a day.

http://newsroom.hasbro.com/mediakit/events.cfm

The Magic part is happening right now.

"Magic: the Gathering - Arena"

In Closed Alpha now, targeting Closed Beta in Fall. Video of game playing, cannot see :(

Justin

MDN is Magic the Gathering Arena. They showed a gameplay video which wasn't shown on the steam lol. Thats all you get till Hascon I guess.

Saffron Olive is going pretty hard on this being just a duels replacement and it not effecting MTGO at all. I really don't think that's the case. If it was WotC would have clarified it by now, they've had a good track record of doing that, especially lately. Instead they're taking the 'new console launching soon, so we're not going to talk about it so that we don't cannibalize current console sales' stance.

If they make a product where you can play 'real' magic (as opposed to duels magic) with a better interface than MTGO, I don't know how MTGO isn't just made completely obsolete. MTGO was never going to just be 'poofed' away, but there is a very high chance that the community will be incentivized to migrate.

Glix

Saffron Olive is going pretty hard on this being just a duels replacement and it not effecting MTGO at all. I really don't think that's the case. If it was WotC would have clarified it by now, they've had a good track record of doing that, especially lately. Instead they're taking the 'new console launching soon, so we're not going to talk about it so that we don't cannibalize current console sales' stance.

If they make a product where you can play 'real' magic (as opposed to duels magic) with a better interface than MTGO, I don't know how MTGO isn't just made completely obsolete. MTGO was never going to just be 'poofed' away, but there is a very high chance that the community will be incentivized to migrate.

It would need limited, and the limited needs to have stakes, so people don't just dick around.

I just have a hard time imagining any program ever handling MTGs entire collection.

I would more expect the replacement to just be Modern forward if not just standard and keeping MTGO going for as long as people are willing to put up with it.

Santiako

MTG Arena is not a bad game I suppose. I'm very curious of how they solved the interface to not look like a win 95 program while being functional at the same time.

MTGO will probably stay for a few years while they migrate all the old cards. I assume it will start with only the standard sets first (maybe modern) and keep growing until they eventually hit all the cards.

bigkrev

There are some super specific things that really don't make sense for a Hearthstone style competitor to have, that still have a lot of importance- Sideboards being the main one that jumps out to me.

I'd be shocked if Arena is anything other than single game matches

A_Dang

Arena needs a spectator view for coverage teams to use for streamed pro tours in the all digital future. (if it's not just a Duels replacement.)

MTGO will probably stay for a few years while they migrate all the old cards. I assume it will start with only the standard sets first (maybe modern) and keep growing until they eventually hit all the cards.

This is what seems likely. Personally, I would have gone with giving MTGO a new front end, but that increasingly seems like it won't be the case. That way the rules engine is preserved and with it a lot of work circumvented. If they scrap that completely, then ya it'll have to be done from the ground up as time goes on.

Whatever gets support from QR codes in packs is what the community will head towards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom