• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

Interesting story from the commentators: Siege Rhino was given trample in order to beat First Response decks, which were overpowering in FFL. Then they weakened First Response to its current state, and never removed trample from Siege Rhino.

EDIT: Here's the article about this. I thought the Siege Rhino part wasn't mentioned there, but it was.

In general, we get a lot right. Not everything, but a lot. We miss a few cards that were hits, and we have a few cards we expect to show up that miss in the real world.

This quote is interesting in retrospect.

It's interesting to see how the lack of a Languish or similar quality black board-wide effect (I mean other than Bontu's, which just seems unplayable) influences these matches.

Santiako

Wow, the guy that just won the GP (Steve Lock with Zombies) didn't lose a single round all weekend. 13-0-2 in the swiss (with no byes!), he ran over the tournament.

had the most filthy tunr of events in EDH on saturday I played everyone's favourite enchantment Mind's Dilation and the first spell flipped gave me Doubling Season (playing Narset Frickign Superfriends) and when my other opponent tried to destroy the spell I got from him was Mystic Snake, protecting Doubling Season.

Game didn't last much past that.

Got bodied by Ydris after just connecting once afterwards though. Duded had only 3 mana left and ended up winning the same turn.
Gather Specimens is by far my favorite card for Ephara.
that's a wacky card but too expensive for my taste.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";245577748]I love how in the GP top 8 profile for the RB control guy he just responds with non sequiturs.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that just mean "I'm nervous about being in the Top 8, so I have to remind myself to take each moment on its own and not freak out"?

Ashodin

Commander 2017 spoilers begin today

here's the cards so far

20620957_10159048875620307_3964059948326597068_n.png

EQUIPMENT MOTHERFUCKERS. I love how when he comes back from the command zone he pays just 1W and gets ALL THE EQUIPS

DGnQ6W-WAAARloT.png

That's a goddamn crazy ramp spell

Get a 5/5 out and double your mana.

Aww yeah bay-bee.

I'm glad to see some callbacks to the Equipment-focused cats, though I still expect it to be primarily a lifegain/tokens deck.

that's a wacky card but too expensive for my taste.

My plan with Ephara is to pass the turn with all of my mana up all of the time and put a minimal amount of mana into a token generator (like Sacred Mesa or something). So I don't mind expensive instants if the effect is powerful enough or hilarious enough. Try casting it in response to a Clone Legion or a Martial Coup. It feels goooooooood.

Daedardus

Or more like people will likely have different opinions. Still, I think the Cat could be fun. Especially with Stoneforge Mystic.
Even though they are disagreeing opinions they can all be right depending on the relative power level that forms it. My playgroup is relatively competitive for instance which makes Balan terrible.
My plan with Ephara is to pass the turn with all of my mana up all of the time and put a minimal amount of mana into a token generator (like Sacred Mesa or something). So I don't mind expensive instants if the effect is powerful enough or hilarious enough. Try casting it in response to a Clone Legion or a Martial Coup. It feels goooooooood.
I have a similar plan just to be mostly creature based around Oketra's Monument. Still struggling with figuring out my winconditions.

c16-logo.jpg

Information
Card image gallery
Release Date: August 25, 2017
Cards per deck: 100
Total new cards: 56
MSRP per deck: 34.99

As a break from the typical pattern, this release will feature four new decks that aren't color balanced, instead focusing on four different creature types: vampire, wizard, cat, and dragon. The decks have 100 cards each, including a total of 56 new Magic cards legal in Eternal formats (Vintage and Legacy) but not legal in Standard or Modern.

WHAT IS COMMANDER?
Commander is an exciting, unique way to play Magic that is all about awesome legendary creatures, big plays, and battling your friends in epic multiplayer games! In Commander, each player chooses a legendary creature as the commander of their deck. They then play with a 99-card deck that contains only cards of their commander's colors. Also, other than basic lands, each deck can only use one copy of any card. During the game, you can cast your commander multiple times, meaning your favorite Legendary Creature can come back again and again to lead the charge as you battle for victory!

CARD THEMES
Each deck is based on one of four creature type tribes: vampire, wizard, cat, and dragon.

en_41iZZBXhco.png
en_mVgLLkMEZJ.png
en_kqVPwMnL5C.png
en_NchsNISzki.png

One commander in each deck has the ability eminence, which triggers both from the battlefield and the command zone based on actions that favor that particular tribe.

HIGHLIGHTS
May 24
Commander 2017 leaks - O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami; Wasitora, Nekoru Queen; The Ur-Dragon, Cat Dragon token, various dragon reprints
May 25
Commander 2017 leak - Taigam, Ojutai Master; Ramos, Dragon Engine
July 4
Commander 2017 leak - Arahbo, Roar of the Wild
July 20
Commander 2017 art reveals tribes
July 31
Magic related stabbing; Japanese magazine confirms Commander 2017 tribes

Monday, August 7
Balan, Wandering Knight; Traverse the Outlands; Hungry Lynx; Bloodforged Battle-Axe; Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist; Stalking Leonin; Seht's Tiger; Arahbo, Roar of the World official reveal; Nazhan, Revered Bladesmith; Hammer of Nazhan
Alms Collector; Command Tower; new Cuombajj Witches art
Bloodline Necromancer

Tuesday, August 8
Herald's Horn, Sol Ring, Kindred Summons, Leonin Arbiter, Path of Ancestry, Kindred Discovery, The Ur-Dragon official; Wasitora, Nekoru Queen official; Cat Dragon token official; O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami official; Scalelord Reckoner; Territorial Hellkite; Scourge of Valkas; Crux of Fate; Ramos, Dragon Engine; Haven of the Spirit Dragon; Crucible of the Spirit Dragon
Boneyard Scourge, Fortunate Few, Fractured Identity, Qasali Slingers, Mirror of the Forebears

Wednesday, August 9
Licia, Sanguine Tribune; Bloodsworn Tribune; Crimson Honor Guard; Disrupt Decorum; Edgar Markov; Teferi's Protection; Curse cycle; New Blood; Mathas, Fiend Seeker
Kindred Charge, Patron of the Vein, Unstable Obelisk; Inalla, Archmage Ritualist; Heirloom Blade
Kheru Mind-Eater

Thursday, August 10
Galecaster Colossus
Kindred Dominance, Kindred Boon, Apprentice Necromancer; Mairsil, the Pretender; Vindictive Lich
Portal Mage, Magus of the Mind; Taigam, Sidisi's Hand; Kess, Dissident Mage; Izzet Chemister; Shifting Shadow

Friday, August 11
Full decklists, full reveal

Is it wrong for me to really be hoping for a new version of everyone's favourite MTG baron to be in the vampires deck? Like, I'll be legit disappointed there isn't one.

bigkrev

We already have "Cowards can't block Warriors" and "The Land continues to burn" in black boarder, this is kind of tame. Cool design though!

That's pretty fantastic. It actually creates somewhat interesting tension since the created rat is a pretty good blocker but using it as such helps the cat player.

Boogiepop

So, kind of interested in these Commander decks. I've been out of Magic for a long time, and I've sworn off the arms race of constantly buying boosters and cards and stuff just to largely play with friends. But I do have some friends/acquaintances who have been playing Commander for a while. I've just kind of stuck to borrowing decks so far, but... I wouldn't mind picking up one of these. I'm fairly certain that said friends aren't, like, building high tier competitive decks, but they definitely have some degree of effort/outside cards put into them. The guy who spends the most posited that these prebuilt decks are actually solid enough usually that one would probably be enough to be competitive out of the box, though, which is what caught my interest.

So yeah... are these things usually at least solid as is? Like, I don't need to be dominating or anything, but just having a deck of my own that doesn't get consistently crushed would be nice... (I do have a moderate number of old cards that can be worked in, including some that I'd imagine would still be good, like the Sword of Light and Shadow.)

Also, should I expect these to get fully revealed before release, or no? Kind of interested in looking through them properly to decide what I want most. Leaning towards Cats on basic interest in the theme (plus White+Green was my favorite combo back in the day, so...), with Dragons as the runner-up for me right now, but how they play would of course matter, too...

Edit: Also have a Jareth Leonine Titan that I loved who could in theory go in the cat deck...

Santiako

So, kind of interested in these Commander decks. I've been out of Magic for a long time, and I've sworn off the arms race of constantly buying boosters and cards and stuff just to largely play with friends. But I do have some friends/acquaintances who have been playing Commander for a while. I've just kind of stuck to borrowing decks so far, but... I wouldn't mind picking up one of these. I'm fairly certain that said friends aren't, like, building high tier competitive decks, but they definitely have some degree of effort/outside cards put into them. The guy who spends the most posited that these prebuilt decks are actually solid enough usually that one would probably be enough to be competitive out of the box, though, which is what caught my interest.

So yeah... are these things usually at least solid as is? Like, I don't need to be dominating or anything, but just having a deck of my own that doesn't get consistently crushed would be nice... (I do have a moderate number of old cards that can be worked in, including some that I'd imagine would still be good, like the Sword of Light and Shadow.)

Also, should I expect these to get fully revealed before release, or no? Kind of interested in looking through them properly to decide what I want most. Leaning towards Cats on basic interest in the theme (plus White+Green was my favorite combo back in the day, so...), with Dragons as the runner-up for me right now, but how they play would of course matter, too...

Edit: Also have a Jareth Leonine Titan that I loved who could in theory go in the cat deck...

Yeah, these decks are usually good enough to stand on their own, and can be reasonably competitive with just a few changes. They are a really good way to get back into the game without spending a ton of money. The full lists should be revealed on friday.

that mirri is disgusting.

Arahbo is terribly designed. His eminence is just leagues above his on board effect.

Eminence also works from the battlefield.

Boogiepop

Yeah, these decks are usually good enough to stand on their own, and can be reasonably competitive with just a few changes. They are a really good way to get back into the game without spending a ton of money. The full lists should be revealed on friday.

Eminence also works from the battlefield.

Awesome, thanks! Good to hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom