• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
does not compute
Meaning he got all muscley in like a week because a week without a razor and he'd have more than stubble.

Basically the important story beats are that:

1) Jace lost the cloak and hood;
2) Jace is amnesiac;
3) Jace goes from skinny to muscled - an illusion of Liliana confirms Jace, Muscle Wizard;
4) Jace basically re-enacts the movie castaway;
5) Notable Blue Muscle Wizard Jace describes the place he is living as a "useless island;" and
5) Jace eventually gets found by Vraska's pirate shit. She has yet to make the scurvy-ridden cur walk the plank.

Tunoku

Well, changing my plans:

03a867da-d997-414a-b3yasz9.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand why people go out and buy reprints of cards before the set is released. It's nonsensical.

The only "reprint" I have of that type is Urza's Saga Duress because I liked the older frame. But Duress has been reprinted after rotating 3 different times since I started playing, so it comes back to be useful.

kirblar

I don't understand why people go out and buy reprints of cards before the set is released. It's nonsensical.

The only "reprint" I have of that type is Urza's Saga Duress because I liked the older frame. But Duress has been reprinted after rotating 3 different times since I started playing, so it comes back to be useful.
Blinging it out for Modern w/ the old frame. This one makes sense.

Santiako

Opt is going to be a Modern staple for ever, so people that like to foil their decks will be buying this one.

Completely 100% totally not serious in any way theory:
Jace ended up here because he instinctively sought out the one person to ever truly steal his heart. All aboard the HMS Jaraska!

Jace spends enough time playing Robinson Crusoe on an island the writer notes he's turned from skinny Jace into Muscle Wizard Jace. That or he's got great genetics since he also doesn't have a beard.

Sure he does:

The man ran a wet hand through his hair. He went out deeper in the water, letting the waves lap at his bearded cheeks.

The man moved his hands. An illusion of a woman stood above him. She had raven hair, tired eyes, and a disdainful expression. Her arms were gloved in violet satin and crossed in front of her.

"The muscles are a nice change, but you look awful with facial hair." Her lips curled in a disdainful sneer.

Angry Grimace

Opt is gonna be so expensive. Get playsets early.

lmao its a common in a standard set it's not going to be more than 25 cents

It's a common. It's price ceiling, while standard legal, is maybe $1? Thraben Inspector got to $1 at some point

If it was an uncommon, though... we would be looking at a Fatal Push

Opt will be like 75 cents until people realize that it's a common in a standard legal set and that Modern is a much smaller world with a lot more decks.

DrArchon

The problem with Regisaur is that it's competing with Glorybringer. For it to be better we'd need to see something better for the Dinosaur card type than what we have seen.

Yeah, we need that critical mass of great dinosaur cards to push it over the edge. Ripjaw Raptor is a good start, but I want to see a really pushed 3 drop uncommon or rare G or R dino that you can double up on with haste after dropping Regisaur on turn 5 (assuming a godlike curve and set of draws of course).

I hope we aren't going to be inundated with too many super expensive dinos.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Yeah, we need that critical mass of great dinosaur cards to push it over the edge. Ripjaw Raptor is a good start, but I want to see a really pushed 3 drop uncommon or rare G or R dino that you can double up on with haste after dropping Regisaur on turn 5 (assuming a godlike curve and set of draws of course).

I hope we aren't going to be inundated with too many super expensive dinos.

Maro has already confirmed that there will be smaller dinosaurs.

Magic Story - Jace, Alone

* Jace wakes up in a bamboo forest, aching and with no memories of himself. He's still capable of thinking things out and can recognize many common nouns. He sees an oviraptor feathered like a parrot, carrying an egg. It trots away, and Jace decides to follow after it.
* He reaches a beach and calls out for anyone there. He goes through what he knows about his situation, and it isn't much.
* He instinctively attempts to planeswalk away--though he logically should panic about his body being torn apart, it's strangely comforting. However, Ixalan's seal prevents him from leaving and he just falls to his knees on the beach again.
* He examines his clothes, determining he came from a colder environment, yet his boots have grains of sand that don't match the ones there. His undershirt is stained with sweat, implying time spent in a hot environment, and even he thinks his cloak is a bit too gaudy. He has strange scars on his arm and his back. He didn't carry any weapons.
* The next day, he explores the island, generating the Jasic Lands. It's a day's travel in circumference. He builds a shelter.
* He eats around the island, discovering an allergy in the process.
* He tries to make a fire but fails. He wonders if he knows any flame magic and is able to make a fire. Unfortunately, it's just an illusion and doesn't cook anything. From this, he determines that he's crazy and seeing things, which is oddly freeing for him: there's no point in trying to understand anything. He devotes himself to just surviving on the island.

* As the days pass, he managed to make life a bit more comfortable for himself. Every once in a while, he unintentionally creates an illusion of someone he used to know. Notably, whenever he's struggling, Gideon appears with his broad shoulders and olive skin shiny with sweat and offers to do it for him. They argue until Gideon disappears.
* One day, he walks into the water and thinks about how it feels distinctly more real than his visions. He suddenly realizes that the visions are part of his magic, and is able to willingly summon an illusion of himself. Jace is amused that he couldn't remember his name but could create an exact replica of how he looks right now. Back on the beach, he explores the extent of his magic, noting how other animals react to them too.
* He starts to get lonely and sad. Liliana appears as an illusion and taunts him, and he wills himself to stop making involuntary illusions.

* Days of preparation later, he leaves. The first two days go well, but then he encounters tall waves that wreck his raft. He's forced to land on an outcropping covered in bird droppings.
* After he wakes up, he attempts to planeswalk again, to no avail.
* Eventually, he is found by pirates, led by Vraska--likely due to his planeswalk attempt. She taunts him, but then is surprised and concerned by the condition he's in.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Anyone (kirblar) have their eye on any under-priced preorders? What's the Collective Brutality or Scarab God of this set?

Justin

I have a feeling they are seeding in a bunch of these cards with knowledge that the power level in Dominaria is going to be high.

bigkrev

They must have had a fundamental change in Philosophy for standard.
Either that, or the pendelum had swung so far to the side of creatures/threats the last few years, that they decided that they could go back to printing spells at the previous power level.

And I, for one, am thrilled?

The last standard tournament I played in was Dragons of Tarkir gameday. I have exclusivly played Modern since then, because I hated how standard played. This is the first time I'm considering trying the format again

kirblar

Duress/Spell Pierce = Kaladesh safety valves.

I have not been paying attention to pre-orders with this set at all, in part because the lands are reprints.
Guys Opt wasn't even played in Standard last time around
Because Invasion Block's power level was just that high. It will see Standard/Modern play.

Justin

They must have had a fundamental change in Philosophy for standard.
Either that, or the pendelum had swung so far to the side of creatures/threats the last few years, that they decided that they could go back to printing spells at the previous power level.

And I, for one, am thrilled?

The last standard tournament I played in was Dragons of Tarkir gameday. I have exclusivly played Modern since then, because I hated how standard played. This is the first time I'm considering trying the format again

MaRo did say on his podcast a month or two ago that they had made "the biggest change in the history of magic" in regards to how they approach the development of new sets. He said he would have an article out about it later in the fall when the set first the change affected get closer to release.

kirblar

@samstod Was Duress a partial reaction to "we just accidentally dumpstered Lay Bare The Heart w the PW change"?

@samstod Replying to @Kirblar024
kind of. We mostly wanted a better way to deal with Saheeli/ Marvel, but knew about Lay Bare. #WOTCstaff
Presumably Spell Pierce was also aimed at Marvel/Cat.
edit: Sam on Spell Pierce being aimed at Marvel/Cat:

Yea. Spyglass too. We just generally had gone too low in terms of reactive cards. #mtgxln did a lot of course correction. #WOTCstaff

MaRo did say on his podcast a month or two ago that they had made "the biggest change in the history of magic" in regards to how they approach the development of new sets. He said he would have an article out about it later in the fall when the set first the change affected get closer to release.

"We decided that blue will be the best color in every set from now on."

Santiako

Duress is such a good and safe card that it should be permanently in standard.

Guys Opt wasn't even played in Standard last time around

And neither was Spell Pierce much in the main

Calm down lol

Opt was competing with Brainstorm last time, and then with Careful Study when it was all Madness/Graveyard based.

We're excited because it's the best cantrip to see the light in a long time.

Top Bottom