• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

How is the land terrible when it provides colored mana and the activation cost for the second ability is free?
I don't think the coloured mana, or the colourless mana for that part, is a particular payoff/cost. These lands come online so late that you should have it in abundance.

The land is terrible compared to the other lands shown so far as it isn't a payoff, it's a panic button more than anything. I guess it's good if that's what you're looking for but first you gotta justify playing greed in your deck.

Firemind

Conquistadors were some doofy-looking sons of bitches.

Though, they could have tried harder to just capture the "feel" of Conquistadors while doing something original and visually distinct, I guess.
Who are the tribes they're trying to commit genocide against anyway? Merfolk?

I think so since Fiery Confluence is 3 enrage triggers.
EDIT: nvm it isn't see below!

Not unless one of the blocking creatures had first strike. All combat damage is dealt at once.

Sure. If you have banding (lol)

Not as much of a blocking disincentive as I thought, then.

There's also the Empire of the Sun, who I don't think we've gotten a great look at yet.

Engrage cards
en_0zIZLRuzt1.png

147.jpg

Maybe?

Ri'Orius

There's also the Empire of the Sun, who I don't think we've gotten a great look at yet.

I believe the dinosaurs are supposed to be the Empire of the Sun's representatives. I mean, I expect we'll get a few more humans with dino synergy, but they've been saying the four tribes are vampires, pirates, merfolk and dinos.

Which honestly seems really kludgy IMO.

DrArchon

I actually like the vehicle land too. Some great late game advantages there.

It's a lot of work to turn on (have a 4+ power creature, spend a combat step, then have the mana required), but for super grindy games, yeah, getting a card back from the yard every turn looks incredibly back breaking.

why not make it modern?

haha, nice. I actually didn't know about that Pyrohemia card :)

I have a terrible 4c casual deck that relies on hitting your own creatures and getting things. Hornet Nest, Phyrohydra, etc. Darksteel Plate and a few other toughness-buffing things to allow for more hitting. Anyway, I like the Enrage cards, a lot.

I feel like Bellowing Aegisaur is going to be a low-key Limited all-star for its ability to just slam the brakes on a game while still completely surviving a Lightning Strike.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I kind of like that vampire life gain outlet but I think angel of invention is just better

Angel of Invention never does anything good. I mean, it's probably even worse now that it dies to Lightning Strike regardless of whether you put the counters on or not.

Glix

As fun as coming up with Ballista/Dino combos are... I think the awesomeness lies in how good the Dinos are AGAINST ballista.

There aren't any "announcements" anticipated out of Hascon.

Actually there's a 25th Anniversary panel tomorrow where the description says:

Magic kicks off its weekend and its year-long 25th Anniversary celebration with a panel of Magic all-stars, exciting reveals, previews for Ixalan, and inside information on Friday at 11:30 a.m. with the 25th Anniversary Show.

So that's not necessarily any product announcements but there could be new things of various kinds that we learn about there.

Bob isn't in a ton of different decks.

It's been on a decline for the last five years or so, I think it was seeing more play overall when they would've been designing MM.

Anyway, it's a very slippery concept here so it's hard to "prove" one way or another, I just feel like there's a sense in which Bob or Snap or even Natural Order feels "epic" that Scapeshift doesn't clear.

Though, they could have tried harder to just capture the "feel" of Conquistadors while doing something original and visually distinct, I guess.

Why would they want to do that though?

They're explicitly not here to kill or take over anyone, they're here to get the Immortal Sun and split.

Which honestly seems really kludgy IMO.

How so?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's been on a decline for the last five years or so, I think it was seeing more play overall when they would've been designing MM.

Anyway, it's a very slippery concept here so it's hard to "prove" one way or another, I just feel like there's a sense in which Bob or Snap or even Natural Order feels "epic" that Scapeshift doesn't clear.
I don't think there were a ton of Modern decks playing Bob even in 2012-2013; it was just expensive.

They move stuff up to Mythic because the cards cost money. Cavern of Souls sees plenty of play, sure but so does Noble Hierarch or any other number of cards, and Cavern was printed as a rare in the Mythic era and still got upgraded. I think it's hard to argue mythic upgrades have much to do with anything other than "expensive card" that has little to do even with limited, because I've opened Dark Confidant in drafts and they're useless.

I mean, Tarmogoyf kind of spells out how that policy goes.

DrArchon

The biggest problem with Marionette Master has always been the mana cost. I guess Treasure helps with that, but then you don't have a bunch of it to sac for life loss.

Still a neat idea.

Santiako

Admittedly, I don't know much about how the deck plays, but I am surprised he's not somewhere in the Deaths Shadow 75

Because you want to be able to control your life total. You don't want to be dying to yourself. Also, it plays Angler and Tasigur.

duxstar

I just realized, that Any dino with enrage is fucking insane with walking ballista.

Ballista + Ripjaw Raptor = draw 4 cards
Ballista + Bellowing Aegisaur is +4/+4 to all creatures every turn
Ballista + Ranging Raptors = Rampant Growth
Ballista + Sun-crowned Hunters is 12 points of damage
Ballista + Ravenous DaggerTooth is still 2 points of life a turn, or 4 if you need it.

Granted this is all if you have a big enough ballista, but still, the fact that it turns into anything you need it to, is awesome ;)

Angry Grimace

I feel like it was big in Jund at least for a good bit, when Jund was the/a top deck.

That's what I'm talking about: Jund is the only deck to consistently play Dark Confidant. There are plenty of rogue aggro decks that try, but those aren't really consistent archetypes.

Arcbound Ravager is basically the reason to play Affinity and sees a ton of play in Vintage Shops decks these days. If Tarmogoyf or Confidant is conceivably a Mythic Rare, I don't see why Arcbound Ravager isn't.

This is getting a bit far afield from Scapeshift, but I don't really see it being a problem - it's a dumb card to draft to begin with, it's worth a lot and decks exist that are just named after the card. Seems plausibly Mythic from the standards they've set up previously imo.

I just realized, that Any dino with enrage is fucking insane with walking ballista.

Ballista + Ripjaw Raptor = draw 4 cards
Ballista + Bellowing Aegisaur is +4/+4 to all creatures every turn
Ballista + Ranging Raptors = Rampant Growth
Ballista + Sun-crowned Hunters is 12 points of damage
Ballista + Ravenous DaggerTooth is still 2 points of life a turn, or 4 if you need it.

Granted this is all if you have a big enough ballista, but still, the fact that it turns into anything you need it to, is awesome ;)

They need a Fungusaur reprint. We just need it to happen.

Whatever it is, I hope that the relative value of my MTGO collection is safe.

And hell, I have at least $300 credit with one of the MTGO stores...

Ri'Orius

Just feels like a big disconnect in the lore and the cards. In the lore the four factions are vamps, merfolk, pirates and the Empire of the Sun, but in the cards it looks like the four factions are vamps, merfolk, pirates and dinos (with the occasional human sidekick).

Maybe once we get more cards the Empire will feel represented, but when I look at a lot of the dinos revealed so far I don't think "these represent the Empire of the Sun," I think "these are wild dinosaurs."

Heck, even the mono-white ones we've seen don't look like they're part of a structured society. I thought the whole idea behind dinos being white (instead of straight RG) is that they're domesticated?

Ashodin

Totally looks a lot like Hearthstone

and there are Ixalan preview cards, of course there are

They have boards you can interact with lmao

It's all about standard, no modern

CARD SETS RELEASE ALONGSIDE TABLETOP MAGIC

"100% all of the cards and how they are supposed to work"

He did say that, didn't he?

EDIT: Ah, the website says Standard format only. Around 1,000 cards added each year.

Top Bottom