• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

sibarraz

Banned
The planeswalkers that come on deck are competitive?

I won once a chandra in a radio contest that was a worse version from the one that was released on boosters

The planeswalkers that come on deck are competitive?

I won once a chandra in a radio contest that was a worse version from the one that was released on boosters

You mean from the Planeswalker Decks? No, they aren't competitive, though some try to work them into Commander decks. That's how they make sure beginners get these decks and not scalpers.

red13th

I'd love to see a pic of Decree of Pain in IMA since it would be the only card with cycling in the set. Fits the crunch though but it's weird.

Not a terrible haul today:

media

I found it very difficult to build a controlling deck in this format, oddly. The format is fast. If you misstep, you lose.

I went undefeated one draft today in the anniversary drafts, but generally did horrible in Iconic Masters.

Hope people enjoyed the spoilers!

red13th

I LOVE that they finally found a way to reprint the Future Sight lands. I'm getting a bunch of Horizon Canopies since I doubt they'll reprint it any time in the next decade.

Not a terrible haul today:

I found it very difficult to build a controlling deck in this format, oddly. The format is fast. If you misstep, you lose.

I went undefeated one draft today in the anniversary drafts, but generally did horrible in Iconic Masters.

Hope people enjoyed the spoilers!

What sets were in the drafts?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sad that Horizon Canopy doesn't have its original art. Wasn't Pylurea one of the planes people most want to visit?

Really hate that top panel on the Un3 lands, it looks way too modern and clashes with the art. I really wish they had the balls to go truly full art and leave the card name off.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Really hate that top panel on the Un3 lands, it looks way too modern and clashes with the art. I really wish they had the balls to go truly full art and leave the card name off.
That's about as bad a design decision as full art cryptic command

Repgnar

Just got back from FNM standard. Every opponent that I played but 1 was some energy variant. I played a servo Angel of Invention, Herald of Anguish, Ormendal deck that did much better than I thought it would considering what was being played with Fatal Push being on the line. Ended 2-2 with the two losses having winnable games a turn away except for a top decked confiscation coup and chandra on the other. Every round my opponent would read Herald of Anguish when I dropped it turn 4/5 which was satisfying. Angel of Invention did work as well but I never activated westvale which is all right since it'll rotate.

That's about as bad a design decision as full art cryptic command

It's a collectable vanity item for enthusiasts. Unlike Cryptic, these are the most simple, iconic cards in the game. They're really the only possible candidates for the true full art treatment.

EN_IMA-Logo_Top_Product_Page.png

Information
Card image gallery
Prerelease Events at HasCon - September 8–10, 2017
Release Date - November 17, 2017
Number of Cards - 249
MSRP per pack - $9.99

Iconic Masters offers players a tour through some of the most iconic cards in Magic history. Featuring new artwork on many cards, the set brings an array of Angels, Sphinxes, Demons, Dragons, and Hydras alongside some of our favorite and most memorable spells over the game's entire history. Iconic Masters is truly a celebration of Magic's 25 years. Every box contains 24 booster packs of 15 cards each, including one premium card in every pack—perfect for drafting with your friends.

Iconic Masters, which is being released as part of Magic's 25th Anniversary celebration, does not actually release until November 17, but that's what makes the event at HASCON so special. Back when Magic was still young, Prereleases used to be experiences that players entered into without knowing a single card in the set. Previews didn't exist, and Prerelease participants were experiencing the cards for the first time.

So the first people to play with Iconic Masters will also be the first people to see the cards in public!
Source

Iconic Masters is a booster pack release focused toward the experienced player, made up entirely of reprints that won't affect what's in Standard. As a celebration of Magic's upcoming 25th Anniversary, a "classic" prerelease event is being held at HasCon, where few cards were revealed beforehand, leaving everyone to discover the set as they drafted. The actual release won't be until November 17, and when that happens, you can go to your local game store to play booster draft, or buy a box yourself and draft with your friends. Although many of the cards are expensive ones in need of a reprint, most of the cards are intended to create a fun and interesting draft experience, so that's the best way to experience this set.

HIGHLIGHTS
Horizon Canopy; Primeval Titan; Restoration Angel; Lord of the Pit
Thundermaw Hellkite; Kamigawa dragons; Mana Drain
HasCon prerelease day 1
Card image gallery

Ashodin

Just got back from FNM standard. Every opponent that I played but 1 was some energy variant. I played a servo Angel of Invention, Herald of Anguish, Ormendal deck that did much better than I thought it would considering what was being played with Fatal Push being on the line. Ended 2-2 with the two losses having winnable games a turn away except for a top decked confiscation coup and chandra on the other. Every round my opponent would read Herald of Anguish when I dropped it turn 4/5 which was satisfying. Angel of Invention did work as well but I never activated westvale which is all right since it'll rotate.

Good on you too bro because Herald of Anguish is a silly card. It'll get WAY better after rotation. I recommend snagging up some Solemnity for your SB against those wacky energy decks.

Repgnar

Good on you too bro because Herald of Anguish is a silly card. It'll get WAY better after rotation. I recommend snagging up some Solemnity for your SB against those wacky energy decks.

I had them in the SB tonight and got to use em in two games. Getting the demon casted turn 4/5 with 3-5 artifacts down felt dirty. They usually were down to 3 or so cards and top decking for removal while discarding a card at the end of my turn. His -2 ability also made combat tricky for them to deal with. Syndicate trafficker did work for me as well. Being able to block with the artifact you sac if they didn't have removal at the right time did work.

I took a look at how MLP sites are covering HasCon, and things look pretty empty in the pictures and panel recordings. And if even the MLP events have low attendance, that doesn't speak well for the rest of the convention.

Plus, they showed clips from the MLP movie that are apparently pretty exciting... and had the audience sign NDAs so they couldn't discuss them. What?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just 3-0'd Modern Cube with a mono-white deck that basically just took every good white card regardless of what it did, either go wide, Elesh Norn, Gideon, Elspeth. Was absolutely hilarious, especially when you're getting Honor of the Pure pick 12.

y2dvd

You know the Fatal Push promos were serious when everyone was talking about ID going 3-0 to possibly tie for top 2. I picked up a second copy of it going 4-0 with Temur energy.

I've steadily been updating my excel skills and tinkering with my EDH decks at the same time.

Only thing I need now is to find a way to only export certain data either into txt files or my clipboard. Ideally automated and a way to exclude the commander from filtering.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Just 3-0'd Modern Cube with a mono-white deck that basically just took every good white card regardless of what it did, either go wide, Elesh Norn, Gideon, Elspeth. Was absolutely hilarious, especially when you're getting Honor of the Pure pick 12.
So basically how you win with mono color aggro in every iteration of the cube

Bandini

I splashed blue in one of mine and had Geist of Saint Traft soulbonded with Silverblade Paladin, with Anthem effect and Elspeth, Knight-Errant giving it +3/+3 and flying

I'm enjoying the cube more than I thought I would, hopefully I get to do another draft or two before I lose power, internet, and possibly my house

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Really fun reading this thread for cards to buy. I think I've picked up three or four cards based on someone's recommendation to another poster.

Though, with Ixalan about to drop, I'm going to save my money for that now. (So stop recommending good cards! lol)

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
How limited will supplies be for IM?

I'm sure it'll be pretty bad, at least from a casual 'go in and buy' perspective.

But as long as it lets me pick up and Elesh Norn, Sheoldred, and Yosei for prices that aren't bonkers, I'm for it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People play Bloodwater Entity in Standard?

Man Return to Dominaria can't come soon enough.
No, it's just a random standard legal card.

Nobody in their right mind plays that card in competitive Standard. Sounds like that cube is just kinda fucked.

I beat some dude with Adorned Pouncer and Elspeth, Knight-Errant. If you have enough anthems it's an okay 2 drop. I played Hanweir Militia Captain and had people scoop up to that followed by Spectral Procession too.

Some of those cards have no plausible use though.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Thanks to me buying a metric fuckton of new phyrexia boxes when it came out, I have something like 6 sheoldreds and 5 elesh norns. Shoulda sold my extras this summer instead of next summer like I was planning.

DrArchon

Legion Conqustador seems like a okay card.

Yeah, it's like Squadron Hawk only not nearly as useful.

Also, looks like they changed the text from Squadron Hawk.
Image.ashx

Squadron Hawk lets you search for up to 3 more, Legion Conquistador lets you search for any number of copies. No difference for constructed, but I guess if you want to play super casual and ignore the 4 card limit for whatever reason it's technically a change.

Yeah, it's like Squadron Hawk only not nearly as useful.

Also, looks like they changed the text from Squadron Hawk.

Squadron Hawk lets you search for up to 3 more, Legion Conquistador lets you search for any number of copies. No difference for constructed, but I guess if you want to play super casual and ignore the 4 card limit for whatever reason it's technically a change.
or if you get 4+ in limited

Lucario

Came back from my certification test to finish registering for HasCon

....and they ended their groupon a day early. What the fuck Hasbro, I was excited :(

Anyone have a 3 day badge who isn't going tomorrow, or a Sunday they're looking to sell?

Same went 2-0 then IDd for first and played it out for the extra pack. A foil irrigated farmlands was my best pull from 2 packs. The lands are nice I guess.

Doomfall was great but couldn't test the UW Approach matchup.

To compare fatal push and standard showdown. 8 people showed up today vs. 52+ showed up just for FNM standard. A couple drafts fired and modern and legacy all went strong but today the store was almost dead.

Top Bottom