• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

bigkrev

So they're going to be selling UNH basic land packs, right? Because I literally want no other cards from that set, but those full-art basics are sweet.

LOL no. The reason they do those is so that people who have zero desire to touch Un cards have a reason to buy packs

DrArchon

One drop that gets you some late game:

Sgur9go.png
a3tFTYm.png

Hmm.

Cool idea. Not sure if I want it, and I'm looking at tokens with Lifegain. How many legendary one drops do you want to put in your deck just to make sure you land this on turn 1 or whatever? And it's not like it works with Oketra's Monument like Sacred Cat does (though it's far better in the late game than bringing back a cat for another go around).

Again, cool idea though. And not hard to flip. But still.

Adaren

I think the fact that a huge portion of the set was leaked and spoiler season is still fun really says something about the set. I'm super excited for Ixala!

ultron87

That's super cool! And is really just upside in 1v1, since if you're behind they're attacking anyway, and if you're ahead its The Abyss.

ultron87

Oh yeah sure. It probably isn't good, but it initially read to me as "oh, it's a downside but you get a thing", but it isn't really that.

DrArchon

Design really went all out with the flavor in this set. Love it.

Wow, that flavor is amazing!

Looks decent enough in limited, if a bit expensive. Not like players are going to hold back much with Raid and such, so might as well get some free treasure out of it.

But again, 4 mana is a bit much for what is essentially ramping 1 mana (assuming you don't save it).

Weird that Lost Vale is not legendary.

The cycle of color lands is Legendary and they all have to be on both sides, I figure they just didn't want to go any higher than the five.

I think the fact that a huge portion of the set was leaked and spoiler season is still fun really says something about the set.

Yes, that a lot of the set's cool cards are DFCs or at uncommon. :p

I do like this set a lot though. Even as a tribal set it still seems to be carrying over pretty strongly from the Amonkhet idea of having cool individual cards more than super synergy-driven stuff.

Ashodin

Fuck yes fuck yes that equipment turns into a lotus vale fuck yeah

That enchantment is exactly what my vampire deck needs Yesssss

Justin

So I have the Japan Nationals on in the background at work and it works pretty good having it be tape delayed and having Marshal and Cheon commentating from Seattle. They are able to jump from game to game and have a lot more displays with deck info. Day one sucked because of mic problems and Marshal's co-host wasn't good but day two is pretty good.

Firemind

Can we stop with these shitty red ramp "spells"?

The flavour doesn't even make sense in red, unless you're implying capitalism is red.

thefil

So I have the Japan Nationals on in the background at work and it works pretty good having it be tape delayed and having Marshal and Cheon commentating from Seattle. They are able to jump from game to game and have a lot more displays with deck info. Day one sucked because of mic problems and Marshal's co-host wasn't good but day two is pretty good.

Where are you watching this?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think this set looks rad as hell but I'm not really sure how this impacts Standard. I haven't really seen a super efficient Dinosaur deck coming out of this or anything.

It was actually insanely annoying listening to Marshall and Cheon constantly pull for Shota Yasooka because they're friends with him. I get that there aren't really standards in a Magic: the Gathering broadcast, but I don't think it's too much to ask to not actively cheerlead for a specific player.

Can we stop with these shitty red ramp "spells"?

The flavour doesn't even make sense in red, unless you're implying capitalism is red.

Making treasure is completely in pie for red...rituals (temp. ramp) are red and that's exactly what treasure is.

Justin

Where are you watching this?

Look on the Magic Twitch account VODs.

It was actually insanely annoying listening to Marshall and Cheon constantly pull for Shota Yasooka because they're friends with him. I get that there aren't really standards in a Magic: the Gathering broadcast, but I don't think it's too much to ask to not actively cheerlead for a specific player.

Couldn't care less. Its more fun as the viewer if the commentators are having fun. Watch day one coverage for the dry boring stuff.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, I'm not exactly upset about it (I mean, it's Magic, I don't expect it to be called by Vin Scully or anything), it was just irritating. Just call the match, guys.

Angry Grimace

If only Soulfire Grand Master was still legal so I could cast Star of Extinction.

Yeah marshall attributing some wins shota earned when his opponent had drawn 3 or so more lands than he did to some tremendous skill instead of variance was weird.

Especially when it was the quasi mirror.

Firemind

Making treasure is completely in pie for red...rituals (temp. ramp) are red and that's exactly what treasure is.
And I disagree. Greed is white/black. If you want to make rituals good then just print Dark Ritual in red.

Yeah marshall attributing some wins shota earned when his opponent had drawn 3 or so more lands than he did to some tremendous skill instead of variance was weird.
That happens in all of sports commentating.

And I disagree. Greed is white/black. If you want to make rituals good then just print Dark Ritual in red
Treasure is red making artifacts, with a flavor that connects to high seas adventures, that produces mana. Hoarding treasure is also strongly affiliated with dragons. The sort of greed displayed here is different than we'd see from white and black. They are greedy because they specifically want money for its utility. Red is flavored as wanting it for the sake of having it, and the utility is incidental.

Rituals have the issue that they're either junk, too good, or junk except in storm. These one-shot sources they've printed recently seem to have a much better middle ground.

Treasure is red making artifacts, with a flavor that connects to high seas adventures, that produces mana. Hoarding treasure is also strongly affiliated with dragons. The sort of greed displayed here is different than we'd see from white and black. They are greedy because they specifically want money for its utility. Red is flavored as wanting it for the sake of having it, and the utility is incidental.

Rituals have the issue that they're either junk, too good, or junk except in storm. These one-shot sources they've printed recently seem to have a much better middle ground.

agree with this

Risking your live for Treasure sounds super red or black to me. I think it works.

bigkrev

Buried in the Iconoic Masters release notes, a new rule change regarding Magus of the Moon (and Blood Moon)
If a nonbasic land has an ability that applies "as [this land] enters the battlefield" or that causes it to enter the battlefield tapped or with counters, the land will lose that ability before it applies. This is a change from previous rules.
If a nonbasic land has an ability that triggers "when" it enters the battlefield, it will lose that ability before it triggers.

Have fun with Dark Depths, kids!

Angry Grimace

Blood Moon -> Dark Depths -> Disenchant the Blood Moon?

I mean, there are way easier ways to abuse Dark Depths hence it being probably SUPER BANNED. Vampire Hexmage and Thespian's Stage only require 2 cards to function.

And I disagree. Greed is white/black. If you want to make rituals good then just print Dark Ritual in red.

That happens in all of sports commentating.

I'm not sure exactly how you can disagree with the factual assertion that rituals are now a red ability and that creating Lotus Petals is a ritual effect.

Yeah, that now works. If Dark Depths was Modern-legal, it would be high time to brew with Magus of the Moon (easier to kill/sac a creature than an enchantment)

Dark Depths is already banned because there's a ton of easier combos. The Blood Moon - Depths combo isn't even a bannable interaction because you can't even pull it off until turn 4 because both Magus and Blood Moon cost 3 mana to cast, and the interaction doesn't work correctly unless you have them on the battlefield before you play Dark Depths.

I think this set looks rad as hell but I'm not really sure how this impacts Standard. I haven't really seen a super efficient Dinosaur deck coming out of this or anything.

Pirates as a tempo deck seems like a more obvious outcome from this set so far than anything else.

And I disagree. Greed is white/black.

Red ramp cards have historically been very sketchy in terms of actual flavoring, but the idea here at least is that red is into hedonistic spending, so it can get a bunch of money and then blow it all on some big fancy purchase.

I mean, there are way easier ways to abuse Dark Depths hence it being probably SUPER BANNED. Vampire Hexmage and Thespian's Stage only require 2 cards to function.

They've printed like two more in the last year, too.

Angry Grimace

Pirates as a tempo deck seems like a more obvious outcome from this set so far than anything else.

Red ramp cards have historically been very sketchy in terms of actual flavoring, but the idea here at least is that red is into hedonistic spending, so it can get a bunch of money and then blow it all on some big fancy purchase.

They've printed like two more in the last year, too.

That may be true, but I'm forcing Naya Dinosaurs in standard regardless of whether its good.

Maledict

How is greed green? I know we joke about it, but by definition greed is wanting more than you need. Thats the opposite of green, which is balance and harmony and the natural cycle. You dont get greedy lions after all.

Greed is absolutely red and black, and also blue I think depending upon flavour.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Probably just black?
Dude seems less concerned with actually exerting power and more just having the wealth to do whatever fanciful adventure he feels like at a moment's notice

Thats the sort of vein in which "ostentatious wealth" makes sense in red to me. Red likes a bunch of gold because red likes to lose it all during one wild night in Vegas

Probably just black?
As portrayed in the comics and DuckTales, Scrooge cares far more about adventure than making money normally. In Don Rosa's stories, the Money Bin is solely money he earned himself, and he doesn't spend any of it, largely due to the sentimental value. That said, he is also infamously stingy.

Scrooge the adventurer is red, especially with how attached he is to his family despite himself. Scrooge the businessman/duck is black. Overall, he's black/red.

kirblar

As portrayed in the comics and DuckTales, Scrooge cares far more about adventure than making money normally. In Don Rosa's stories, the Money Bin is solely money he earned himself, and he doesn't spend any of it, largely due to the sentimental value. That said, he is also infamously stingy.

Scrooge the adventurer is red, especially with how attached he is to his family despite himself. Scrooge the businessman/duck is black. Overall, he's black/red.
Being attached to your family can also be read as black (see: Tywin Lannister.) It's an extension of self-interest.

Repgnar

Is it wrong that I want to use Settle the Wreckage against my own tokens turn 4/turn 5? 1 creature turn 1, Servo Exhibition turn 2, Weaponcraft Enthusiast turn 3. Swing in turn 4, end of combat cast Settle the Wreckage and untap turn 5 with 10 mana before your land drop? Obviously that's the best case scenario and it has no chance as a legit deck. After game 1 at FNM your opponent is going to drastically change their game plan but having Angel of Invention, Herald of Anguish, and maybe something like Overwhelming Splendor as your win cons you're not relying on the jank combo to pop off.

Either way I think i'm going to stick with building a W/? token deck as i'm having a lot of fun with W/B currently.

Scrooge is definitely impulsive though, which is not at all black alone.

He would be black/red, but it's more like he's the greener half of red and the bluer half of black. That's as opposed to the Joker, who is the blacker half of red and the redder half of black.

Being attached to your family can also be read as black (see: Tywin Lannister.) It's an extension of self-interest.
Scrooge logically wants nothing to do with them, but justifies that they're cheap labor, particularly Donald. But emotionally, he loves them and enjoys spending time with them. A notable moment where he acts against his self interest is in that Don Rosa story about Norse mythology. At the end, Odin offers to take Scrooge to Valhalla, but he refuses, to spend more time with his family, IIRC.

And DuckTales emphasizes his emotional connection more. Take the new pilot, where he brought the boys and Webby to Atlantis on a whim, in order to impress them.

Top Bottom