• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

89 Octane Gas: The Middle Child no one wants?

Shit ads up. Fuck that. I mean there two two gas stations next to each other. 50c difference in price. I don't know how that sunoco stays open. But I absolutely would go somewhere else for 5c cheaper gas. Add that up over a year.

20,000 miles a year at 20mpg is 1,000 gallons. A 5c differential per gallon is $50. $50 a year, or a little over $4 a month. It's not worth the hassle.

My understanding is that gas mileage is better when you use premium if your car is designed to use premium as the engine doesn't have to strain as much.

Not really. It just delays ignition timing to protect the engine, which sacrifices efficiency.

Yeah I will put in 89 when they are charging a 50 cent + premium for 91 which is actually pretty common here in MN. At that point the savings are worth losing a bit of mpg and performance from time to time. Super America does 10cents off 91 so generally that's my go to but if I'm in a weird spot or on a trip and the 91 is over $3 and the 89 is like $2.50 I'll go with the 89.

Don't do that. If you need to floor the gas the engine might not change the ignition timing fast enough and you can potentially damage the engine.

Westbrook1.gif

ZOONAMI

20,000 miles a year at 20mpg is 1,000 gallons. A 5c differential per gallon is $50. $50 a year, or a little over $4 a month. It's not worth the hassle.

Not really. It just delays ignition timing to protect the engine, which sacrifices efficiency.

Don't do that. If you need to floor the gas the engine might not change the ignition timing fast enough and you can potentially damage the engine.

Westbrook1.gif

Damn. Alright yeah I’ll stop with the 89 lol. I’ll only use 89 literally if there is no higher octane option and I’m out of gas.

Damn. Alright yeah I’ll stop with the 89 lol. I’ll only use 89 literally if there is no higher octane option and I’m out of gas.

Yeah knock sensors can only adjust the engine to deal with lower grade fuel after a problem has occurred. Typically it's no big deal, but do it enough and it can become an issue.

gcubed

Shit ads up. Fuck that. I mean there two two gas stations next to each other. 50c difference in price. I don't know how that sunoco stays open. But I absolutely would go somewhere else for 5c cheaper gas. Add that up over a year.

Yea I used to do that, then I did the math, and 5 cents absolutely doesn't add up.

My cut off is over 10 cents, if I'm going to pass more stations I'll wait

clav

89 is a blend of 87 and 91 fuel. Seen this on two small counters measured at some fuel pumps. Pretty sure those mean 87 and 91 as they both tick upward when fueling 89.

Ethanol is actually an octane booster and has a federal minimum in most fuels. People think it can introduce water to the gas tank when it sits too long due to the nature of alcohol.

I get better mileage on 87 for an engine that says 87 minimum and 91 for "better performance".

Engine does slightly ping on hot days when climbing hills at low speeds. Manual does mention this and says not to worry.

Jarmel

Banned
Yea I used to do that, then I did the math, and 5 cents absolutely doesn't add up.

I just use Gasbuddy now. Makes things so much easier for the most part.

kmfdmpig

Yeah, for me it's a matter of just paying attention to which gas stations tend to be cheapest and then thinking about when I'll drive past them. I know, for example, that the gas station near my daughter's gymnastics place is cheap or that the Costco has the cheapest gas. If I'm in that area I'll fill up then. Doing so I probably save 15 cents a gallon on average, which adds up over the course of a year.

^^^ You don't need to make stereotypes based on poor understanding of engine operation, the manual will tell you.

And why bother looking at the price? Are you not going to drive your car? I mean you might decide not to go on a long trip, but are you going to stop going to work?

People seriously over-react to variations in fuel price. I'm not saying you don't notice an increase of $2 to $3 per gallon, but price hunting from station to station for a five cent difference is asinine.

Damn I guess people like you are how the 76 near here can get away with being an entire dollar per gallon higher than everything else around, and yet the owner apparently still makes enough money to afford a lambo lm002 and a unimog to leave parked on display at the entrance

kromeo

We only have the choice of 95 or 98 here, not sure how that compares. Tbf on the fuel filler it does have a small (minimum 95 octane) underneath the giant premium unleaded so I've always just used that

Damn I guess people like you are how the 76 near here can get away with being an entire dollar per gallon higher than everything else around, and yet the owner apparently still makes enough money to afford a lambo lm002 and a unimog to leave parked on display at the entrance

The post you quoted literally mentions how you’d obviously notice a large difference, like $1, in price.

clav

Actually gas stations don't make that much money from fuel sales according to a NPR artticle written some years ago.

Majority earnings are from the store like snacks, drinks, cigarettes, and lottery tickets.

Aggressive owners who want to make most of land also run a car maintenance/repair shop.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Cheap gas is unrefined. You get what you pay for. Cars CAN function on cheap gas, but function worse. The same way you can function on nothing but pizza, but it will have a toll on your health.

Octane preference isn't as set as that. A car that ask for premium will run on a lower octane gas but the ECU will retard timing to prevent engine knock. Most of the time(100% of the time) this means less power and worse gas mileage. Also 91 isn't always available in some areas and 89 is a close substitute.

This man gets it. Cheap gas = less power + crappy gas mileage.

Isn't this stuff just snake oil unless you're driving a really high-end car?

No. Even a $18K Corolla benefits from premium gasoline. Before SAE guidelines changed, Toyota was able to advertise Camry's with more horsepower based on usage of 93 octane, even though the minimum required was 87 with both engines.

Basically. Unless your car specifically says it requires higher octane using does nothing.

Wrong.

Over the course of the entire year, as Dave Inc pointed out, you aren't saving shit.

No, he's right. If you manual says 89 minimum and you put 91, that gives you no benefit. (All other things being equal on the additives front of course).

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-real-impact-of-using-wrong-fuel-octane-1785829176

So, what happens if you put a higher octane than your car requires?

In short, nothing. Absolutely nothing (except waste money). If the engine calls for 87 octane, then the timing is set for 87 octane. If you put in higher octane, say 93, there is no cause for knock concerns, since it is designed for 87 octane.

Wag

There's a station by me (Boston suburbs) which sells 86 octane. I wouldn't have noticed had I not glanced at the sticker on the pump. Cheap bastards.

clav

Cheap gas is unrefined. Cars CAN function on cheap gas, but function worse.

Any scientific reason why you say this?

I thought octane ratings are federally regulated. If you fail the year-around tests, there's reportedly a hefty fine associated if octane rating doesn't match or surpass pump's label.

Octane rating at the service station is usually determined by the pump. There’s a high grade and low grade tank and optionally an ethanol tank if they want to offer E100 or E85 and blend on site. If you want anything between the high and low grade it mixes them up. There’s nothing really more to it.

KHarvey16

My 07 328i asked for 91 or higher. Wish we had 93 here in CA though cause my turbo 135i would appreciate it so much.

Yeah modern turbocharged engines love higher octane. The higher the better.

Fair enough, I always forget some cars now will advance ignition, not just retard.

These modern control systems can get pretty crazy.

No, he's right. If you manual says 89 minimum and you put 91, that gives you no benefit. (All other things being equal on the additives front of course).

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-real-impact-of-using-wrong-fuel-octane-1785829176

Again though modern engines, specifically the turbocharged variety, can make better power by advancing timing when given higher octane. My car takes 87 minimum, recommends 91 but makes the most power with 93.

No. Even a $18K Corolla benefits from premium gasoline.
No, this isn't right. The octane rating basically describes the amount of compression the fuel can take before it may spontaneously combust (and cause knocking), so if you get high-octane fuel for an engine with a low compression ratio—say you get 91 for a car with 8:1—you will at best see no benefit and at worst lose fuel efficiency if some of the fuel fails to combust due to insufficient pressurization.

You really should just follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

EDIT: Also, since no one brought it up, the reason the octane ratings in the US appear lower is because the US uses a system called AKI (Anti-Knock Index), which is the mean of the RON (Research Octane Number) and MON (Motor Octane Number) octane ratings. Other countries just use RON, which is the theoretical maximum value and is thus always higher.

It made a difference on my old carburated 1982 Celica, using 89 stopped it knocking but was cheaper. but since then I've only used 87 except for my old WRX which required 91.

I think most cars can compensate for different octanes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For some reason we have 91 octane in CA although there's a gas station nearby that has 100 octane but its like 6 dollars a gallon lol

For some reason we have 91 octane in CA although there's a gas station nearby that has 100 octane but its like 6 dollars a gallon lol

Race gas.

Cheap gas is unrefined. You get what you pay for. Cars CAN function on cheap gas, but function worse. The same way you can function on nothing but pizza, but it will have a toll on your health.

This man gets it. Cheap gas = less power + crappy gas mileage.

No. Even a $18K Corolla benefits from premium gasoline. Before SAE guidelines changed, Toyota was able to advertise Camry's with more horsepower based on usage of 93 octane, even though the minimum required was 87 with both engines.

Wrong.

Over the course of the entire year, as Dave Inc pointed out, you aren't saving shit.

It's time to stop posting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Race gas.

I read somewhere that from an engineering standpoint 114 would be the best octane but nobody would be willing to pay what it costs to design cars to run it.

”We don't need a new fuel — we just need improved gasoline," David Brooks, General Motors director of global propulsion labs, recently told an engineering conference. He said 114 octane was ideal from an engineer's point of view, but probably too expensive for customers to accept.

Angry Grimace

I think my manual for my Ecoboost F150 says to run 87 but says it will run "better" if you put 91 in it. I don't know what that means but I don't want to pay an extra premium when I largely use my truck to attend Magic the Gathering tournaments.

KHarvey16

I think my manual for my Ecoboost F150 says to run 87 but says it will run "better" if you put 91 in it. I don't know what that means but I don't want to pay an extra premium when I largely use my truck to attend Magic the Gathering tournaments.

It’s a turbocharged engine so advancing timing when the computer detects you’re using a higher octane will make it run better and gives you more power.

This used to be the case 10-15 years ago, but not anymore when a lot of cars these days have turbo charged engines. They have really high compression ratios which would increase the chance of unwanted ignition of the fuel. The good news that all recent cars come with a good engine management systems that adjust the air/fuel mixture when you put in regular gas so knocking won't really happen. Though the most likely scenario is worse fuel economy and power loss so any car owner of a car that requires premium fuel should think about the trade off. Nothing damaging at least in the short term, but I have heard that it can make the carbon build up in a lot of direct injection cars worse. Specifically from BMW, VW, and Audi. I would not personally put regular gas in any turbocharged German car though.

Kenstar

The anti knock sensors prevent knock from CONTINUING to happen
They cant always stop the intial one

Like how just because you have Traction control on doesnt mean you can dump the clutch in first and NEVER hear the tires chirp, just that it wont let you do a rolling burnout

It has to do with the compression ratio of the engine. Generally speaking, higher performance cars have higher compression but not necessarily...a VW GTI requires higher octane fuel.

Also, if you ride almost any kind of motorcycle, they require high octane.

AlphaSnake

Any scientific reason why you say this?

I thought octane ratings are federally regulated. If you fail the year-around tests, there's reportedly a hefty fine associated if octane rating doesn't match or surpass pump's label.

Race gas.

It's time to stop posting.

LOL this is the epitome of pulling shit from your ass

LMAO. Ah, yes, the ever trustworthy Neo-GAF car elite.

This is something I've tested with all sorts of cars. Personally seen dyno'd at numerous shops. I even explained that this used to be an SAE loophole for OEMs to take advantage of, and yet I'm pulling that out of my ass?

Please watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTaBngvsPrc

With a $20K VW Golf.

More timing = more power = less knock = healthier engine

If you're a casual driver who never extends his throttle past the 1/8 mark, enjoy 87.

Dyno from a $30K 2011 5.0L Mustang which requires a minimum of...?
4720774763_c23c43526c_b.jpg

Oh, would you look at the area? The massive torque difference? The huge midrange gains?

DarkestHour

Banned
LMAO. Ah, yes, the ever trustworthy Neo-GAF car elite.

This is something I've tested with all sorts of cars. Personally seen dyno'd at numerous shops. I even explained that this used to be an SAE loophole for OEMs to take advantage of, and yet I'm pulling that out of my ass?

Please watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTaBngvsPrc

With a $20K VW Golf.

More timing = more power = less knock = healthier engine

If you're a casual driver who never extends his throttle past the 1/8 mark, enjoy 87.

Dyno from a $30K 2011 5.0L Mustang which requires a minimum of...?
4720774763_c23c43526c_b.jpg

Oh, would you look at the area? The massive torque difference? The huge midrange gains?

That's because the knock strategy will advance or retard timing based on lack of or presence of knock. If either occurs enough the ECM will apply a base timing modification based on said events.

Not all cars leverage dynamic timing strategies, but it is becoming more common.

clav

Unless you're racing and flooring the pedal while driving everywhere (a type of behavior that doesn't care about mpg), I don't see how you're elevating discussion here.

Manual says:

qc4u3Zc.png

Engine drives better on 91 as stated, so what are you proving now?

As for gas, you may have heard about major brands like Chevron, BP, Shell, and ExxonMobil but what lesser known refineries that process a lot of petro regionally like Tesoro or Kern Oil and Refining Company?

Now there are other factors like pump maintenance (replacing pump's oil filters, underground leakage) that may affect the quality of gasoline distilled into vehicles if facilities are poorly maintained, but you didn't mention that at all.

Gas is a fungible commodity. In other words, gas is gas. If you notice truckers on what they do after unloading thousands of gallons of fuel, they add a couple gallons of detergent. This detergent is what distinguishes gasoline brands.

Stil can't figure out if I'm wrong in using 89 or not. Been told for years 87 is inferior.

As others stated, you generally use 89 if your engine calls for it or if your engine experiences knocking symptoms (rattling or tapping noise) while accelerating under incline like up a hill when using 87. Your manual will specifically call out that higher octane is better as shown in the above image.

iamblades

^ Interesting... I'm curious why I know so little about this kind of thing. I love cars and I love mine, but I've never even checked the manual to see what kind of gas it wants. I have always bought the cheap shit (even for my motorcycle) and it's always worked just fine.

Like luxury cars that will run you $100k or more.

"High end" I guess - I'm not really talking about hypercars or anything over $500k, in which it's obvious why you'd use a high octane fuel.

Just when I see the guy at Costco putting high octane fuel in entry-level BMW or Audi or whatever it makes me roll my eyes a little. It's always seemed like an idiot tax to me.

Octane level has nothing to do with how high end a car is, it has to do with the effective compression ratio of the engine.

These days with even low end cars having turbochargers, higher octane fuels will become the standard. Although there are other technologies like direct injection which allow for higher compression ratios than the octane rating would otherwise allow. ie. Mazda SkyActiv engines have relatively high compression, but use direct injection so they can run on lower octane fuels.

You haven't done the math have you. It doesn't really add up to much.

5 cents a gallon at 16 gallons is 80 cents. Gas up 3 times a month, that's $2.40. Over the course of 12 months, that's only $28.80 for the entire year.

AlphaSnake

Unless you're racing and flooring the pedal while driving everywhere (a type of behavior that doesn't care about mpg), I don't see how you're elevating discussion here.

Manual says:

qc4u3Zc.png

Engine drives better on 91 as stated, so what are you proving now?

As for gas, you may have heard about major brands like Chevron, BP, Shell, and ExxonMobil but what lesser known refineries that process a lot of petro regionally like Tesoro or Kern Oil and Refining Company?

Now there are other factors like pump maintenance (replacing pump's oil filters, underground leakage) that may affect the quality of gasoline distilled into vehicles if facilities are poorly maintained, but you didn't mention that at all.

Gas is a fungible commodity. In other words, gas is gas. If you notice truckers on what they do after unloading thousands of gallons of fuel, they add a couple gallons of detergent. This detergent is what distinguishes gasoline brands.

As others stated, you generally use 89 if your engine calls for it or if your engine experiences knocking symptoms (rattling or tapping noise) while accelerating under incline like up a hill when using 87. Your manual will specifically call out that higher octane is better as shown in the above image.

My post was primarily targeted at those who tried to troll me, not so much you. But I've seen these kinds of results on all sorts of engines. From Altimas, to Camrys - neither of which have engines designed to run exclusively from premium, and have regular labels on their gasoline door. But they still benefitted from performance increases.

And yes, as I precisely stated, if you're not using your throttle more than 1/8s, then by all means, enjoy. But OP and some others were under the impression only high end motors draw advantage from premium gasoline, which is absolutely not true as evidenced by a 20K Golf and a 30K Mustang.

While 87 and 89 aren't unrefined like...well, crude or diesel (obviously), premium's extra refinement will give longer life to injectors and keep them cleaner because of the additional detergents. And knocking can happen all the time, btw and you won't even hear it. Hearing engine knock is severe, but just because it's not audible, doesn't mean it's not happening. Cars can knock if it's simply too hot and better gasoline can help alleviate the issue, but it won't stop it.

My STI is pro tuned for 91 and 94 octane... I wish we had more access to higher octane fuels in Canada without having to have it shipped directly to my house (my uncle has race fuel delivered in big drums for his R35).

Heck where's my E85 at?!

I read somewhere that from an engineering standpoint 114 would be the best octane but nobody would be willing to pay what it costs to design cars to run it.

And that's what is great about E85 fuel. Its like 100+ octane and costs the same or even less than 87.

Though to take advantage of it from a performance standpoint, you need an aftermarket engine computer and requires a lot of time tuning. And you get like 10 - 12 mpg.

Top Bottom