• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: geohot is altering evidence and fleeing to South America, Geohot: No I'm not

gofreak said:
I doubt he has 'fled the country'. He's probably just on a vacation or something.

He might have some difficulties when he gets back if the court agrees with Sony's claims re. evidence and discovery though.

Why would anyone take a vacation when he is being sued by a multi-billion corporation and he had to ask for donations just to pay the lawyers?

Curufinwe

I like this line from Sony's motion:

The mere fact that Hotz resides in New Jersey does not make his burden of litigating in California unfairly high. While Hotz’s preference to litigate in New Jersey, does not make the exercise of jurisdiction here unreasonable. As the Ninth Circuit has noted, “with the advances in transportation and telecommunications and the increasing interstate practice of law, any burden is substantially less than in days past.” Menken, 503 F.3d at 1060 (quoting CE Distrib., LLC, 308 F.3d at 1112).

This statement is particularly applicable to Hotz, who formerly lived and worked in California, and has traveled to California at least four times in the past two years. Bricker Decl., ¶4, Exh. C. Recently, in fact, Hotz conveniently traveled to South America in the midst of jurisdictional discovery, including his court-ordered deposition. Accordingly, the burden on Hotz of litigating in California will be minimal at most, and hardly dispositive.

Chacranajxy said:
Man, this is just hilarious. Sony hated him, and presumably, even the people who supported him before hate him now. This kid's going to get shot.
2nlemc2.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Massa said:
I wouldn't say delivering an incomplete HD is tampering with evidence. It's obviously against the court's orders, but still the data is still there intact (or at least the third party company didn't even get to verify that yet).

The courts tend to be pretty uppity about evidence being tampered with. I'd say an incomplete HD is a legitimate concern, honestly.

Massa

Zenith said:
What's the significance of having a PSN account when previously claiming he didn't?

Sony argues he's bound by the PSN user agreement and so the case should be trialed in California.

Chacranajxy said:
The courts tend to be pretty uppity about evidence being tampered with. I'd say an incomplete HD is a legitimate concern, honestly.

Definitely.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
At this point I'm thinking he's doing it all just to get some more money out of the movie rights eventually

Crisis

Banned
Zenith said:
What's the significance of having a PSN account when previously claiming he didn't?

One of the defense claims is that he didn't have a PSN account, and therefore the TOS of the PSN did not apply to him.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
How on earth did he ever think that leaving the country to vacation during these proceedings would look like a good idea? Was Reno filled to capacity or something?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
itxaka said:
Taking a vacation requires the same amount of money as defending himself from sony, which if i recall correctly has 5 lawyers working on this?

So you don't honestly believe it's in bad form to take a vacation after begging for donations? If he was in such dire need of funds, he shouldn't be setting aside money for a vacation, assuming he didn't just flee the country permanently.

Rikyfree

out0v0rder said:
i gave him $300 dollars. Hope you are ok man.
LOL omg. What a waste. Also what a coward. When I got sued for $230,000 over an accident, I stood my ground and won my case. This pussy is a fucking bitch.

Zoe

CrankyJay said:
Sony can't get information off of a disassembled hard drive? Really?

This isn't Sony, it's the neutral third party vendor. Their business is in electronic discovery.

Wallach

I am ignorant enough about law that it probably doesn't mean much, but it seems on its face like something that could be used against him, no? The evidence part, not him being out of the country.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Damn, I can't believe all you people donated to get this guy off the hook.

You all contributed to his Lindsay Lohanism. "Oh I'm in legal trouble? Nah, I'll just live like a king instead."

Canova

Banned
Teetris said:
At this point I'm thinking he's doing it all just to get some more money out of the movie rights eventually

It'd be funny if Sony-owned Columbia Pictures interested in the story

angelfly

Rikyfree said:
LOL omg. What a waste. Also what a coward. When I got sued for $230,000 over an accident, I stood my ground and won my case. This pussy is a fucking bitch.
Yeah such a bitch for not being able to defend himself against a multi billion dollar corporation.

Curufinwe

CrankyJay said:
Sony can't get information off of a disassembled hard drive? Really?

It's not Sony complaining about the hard drive - it's a third party called The Intelligence Group who cannot get at the data.

From Groklaw:

Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:56 AM
To: Stewart Kellar; Gaudreau, Holly
Cc: Robert Kleeger; Yasha Heidari; Boroumand Smith, Mehrnaz; Bricker, Ryan; Jack C. Praetzellis;
[redacted email address][redacted email address]

Subject: Imaging of encrypted drives. CRM:0003005

All,
We took the drives out of our evidence locker and the evidence bag to image them in their current encrypted state
as stated in the order and agreed to on our phone call yesterday. We have determined that the controller cards
which are screwed onto the hard drives were removed prior to them being given to us. Therefore we are unable
to operate the hard drives in their current state. Keep in mind that we need two days to image these drives as we
have to image two 1TB drives.

I would recommend that Mr. Hotz forward to us immediately both the hard drive controller cards, screws and
anything else he may have including the complete computer system (minus the monitor, keyboard and mouse) so
that we can be prepared to complete the forensic imaging process (both encrypted and un-encrypted).
The drives have been returned to the evidence bag and locker at this time.

Regards,

Mike

Michael Grennier, CFCE, EnCE

TheIntelligenceGroup

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Zoe said:
This isn't Sony, it's the neutral third party vendor. Their business is in electronic discovery.

Also, didn't both parties agree to the third party vendor who would be checking the drives in the first place?

Mithos said:
You will stop laughing when you have to rent your Playstation 4 and games, instead of actually buying them.
Ohh and dear E-Discovery, if it have escaped you Geohotz isn't really the normal end-user, its well know he likes to pick stuff apart, and use them the way HE seems fit. ;p

Do you honestly believe Sony will be laughing in this situation? This is a sure way to crash out of the video game market.

The consequences only apply to geohot, and other people who lack common sense.

Emitan

MarshMellow96 said:
This is amazingly hilarious if true.

Isn't there a crazy amount of piracy in Brazil? I imagine he'll fit right in!
He's a pirate? That's news to me. Stop pulling stuff out of your ass.

Ploid 3.0

Chû Totoro said:
Even if he flew ou t of the country that doesn't make him a douche (maybe a coward but that's it).
And even if 13k$ is a lot in Africa, it's not that much.

I'm still with the cause (the guy doesn't really count)

If I felt I had to tamper with evidence like he did, felt I had to seemingly flee the country to avoid being in prison, and looked the way he do (not built to take care of myself in the yard brawls) I'd probably flee with thousands of dollars too. Maybe he'll start a awesome life on some beach/coast, living in a low cost city with 3 wives, and a monkey for a pet. He could create fishing apps and sell them on phones.

Clott

out0v0rder said:
i gave him $300 dollars. Hope you are ok man.

Wow, you do know you could have given that 300$ to the people of Japan and actually have helped someone? At this rate he is gonna use that money for a back ally blowjob.

Jobiensis

GeoHot is an ass, I don't think anybody other than his Mom disagrees with that. However his stupid antics don't mean that Sony should win this case. I think at this point the best case scenario is for the EFF to lobby for another DMCA exception being added (two years from now?).

While trolling the court is funny, it's a much bigger slap in the face to people that donated to the case. How much additional costs are going to be incurred because he removed the controller cards, and it will do nothing but cause a delay and create more court filings. It looks like EFF was very wise to not back this case. It's a hard enough case, it doesn't help to start trying to piss off the judge.

chubigans said:
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it doesnt seem polite to vacation outside the country after pleaing for donations during a major lawsuit. :p

Would you call that fleeing the country though?

MrPliskin

Banned
Billychu said:
He's a pirate? That's news to me. Stop pulling stuff out of your ass.

I dunno, he "stole" (conned maybe?) tons of folks on this very board for money, and then fled. Sounds like a Pirate to me.

pirate.jpg

angelfly

Clott said:
Wow, you do know you could have given that 300$ to the people of Japan and actually have helped someone? At this rate he is gonna use that money for a back ally blowjob.

Wallach said:
I am ignorant enough about law that it probably doesn't mean much, but it seems on its face like something that could be used against him, no? The evidence part, not him being out of the country.

If they can prove there has been tampering at specific times and dates, then yes, it would display a prima facie element of guilt in the case. It can also be factored in when discussing costs, damages etc. I would expect.

Mael

HaRyu said:
Also, didn't both parties agree to the third party vendor who would be checking the drives in the first place?

Basically making it harder for the 3rd party to do his job is not exactly cooperation....
leaving the country is like....a big FU to anyone supporting him though.
I mean the guy seriously didn't need any money in the first place and just scammed people for his vacations abroad.
That is unless his vacation was fully paid by someone else and all, then again why not put that money for his defense fund....pretty hillarious

Rikyfree

angelfly said:
Yeah such a bitch for not being able to defend himself against a multi billion dollar corporation.
Oh, so the money he used to flee the country couldn't have been used to defend himself at all, huh? So yes, he is a bitch. I didn't flee when I was staring down the bull. So I'm pretty sure that I can say that.

Dali

devildog820 said:
I also don't think he tampered with evidence, he just made it harder for Sony to read his hard drives. Tampering implies he changed evidence. He hasn't changed anything, just threw up a barrier.
Yeah, I don't see how this is tampering. The data (presumably) hasn't been altered.

itxaka

Defeatist
Chacranajxy said:
So you don't honestly believe it's in bad form to take a vacation after begging for donations? If he was in such dire need of funds, he shouldn't be setting aside money for a vacation, assuming he didn't just flee the country permanently.
Iirc he asked the money to hire more lawyers. He Was already paying a lawyer with his own money before asking for donations

Top Bottom