• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Don't like that banner. Said it before, but I don't want them to pander to the new adult fans. Keep it as is, that's what we grew to love. Maybe some new mechandise (blu-ray), but other than that, just pretend we don't exist.

brian577

Banned
DrForester said:
Don't like that banner. Said it before, but I don't want them to pander to the new adult fans. Keep it as is, that's what we grew to love. Maybe some new mechandise (blu-ray), but other than that, just pretend we don't exist.

They can cater to us in commercial form without actually changing the show you know.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
DrForester said:

So long as they keep their pandering to advertising and merchandise and not the actual show itself, I'm fine with it.

Lost Fragment said:
2 questions had obvious joke answers. Anyone with half a brain would've gotten those right tbh.

Your avatar reminds me of something I found the other day on Ponibooru

1oicl.png

5ZM6K.png

Also, OFFICIAL billboards that will be showing up in LA

jWImE.jpg

brian577

Banned
G-Fex said:
LOL Billboard?

These ponies just did a hop skip and jump over the shark.

I don't think you know the meaning of the world "jumping the shark". I'll give you a hint, it has nothing to do with advertising.

G-Fex

brian577 said:
I don't think you know the meaning of the world "jumping the shark". I'll give you a hint, it has nothing to do with advertising.

Yeah it doesn't but it's already trying too hard so it's preemptively jumped the shark.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Hub isn't even a year old, they are trying to make a name of itself. I don't mind these one off jokes the Hub provides, just don't touch the show itself.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
G-Fex said:
LOL Billboard?

These ponies just did a hop skip and jump over the shark.

But G-Fex, I thought you didn't think the ponies were quality to begin with.

How could something jump the shark if it was already bad.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Don't question G-Fex's ability to describe the "shark-jumpingness" quality of something; he already has the "Jump-Shark" title for almost every thread he's posted in, including this one.

G-Fex

ahoyhoy said:
Don't question G-Fex's ability to describe the "shark-jumpingness" quality of something; he already has the "Jump-Shark" title for almost every thread he's posted in, including this one.

I do? I wasn't even notified by mail about this.

Adelor Lyon

Neo Member
DrForester said:
It's a spoof of the Bridesmaids poster. Maybe it's targeted for mothers of the target market? Either way, I like it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You know why I like MLP, cause it reminds me of the good ol'days of 90's cartoons and stuff for some reason. I just gives me that vibe.

Calpain

Heh, I love what the Hub has been doing lately. Little nods like this help pump up the older fan base during the hiatus while I'm sure it will turn some heads in the LA area when that billboard goes up.

In response to those who think this is a possible bad thing for the show keep in mind that the Hub advertising department isn't the production team behind the show. Plus, as mentioned by Brian, season two has been in production well before things started to blow up.

The planning for season two probably started so early due to those two episodes of season two that were ordered along with season one. Following the production chatter over the past few months it sounds like the scripts for the rest of the episodes were finished at the start of this year which is also before MLP really took off. In the end, I don't think we have anything to worry about and that we should trust the production staff.

Calpain said:
Heh, I love what the Hub has been doing lately. Little nods like this help pump up the older fan base during the hiatus while I'm sure it will turn some heads in the LA area when that billboard goes up.

In response to those who think this is a possible bad thing for the show keep in mind that the Hub advertising department isn't the production team behind the show. Plus, as mentioned by Brian, season two has been in production well before things started to blow up.

The planning for season two probably started so early due to those two episodes of season two that were ordered along with season one. Following the production chatter over the past few months it sounds like the scripts for the rest of the episodes were finished at the start of this year which is also before MLP really took off. In the end, I don't think we have anything to worry about and that we should trust the production staff.

Indeed. There really is nothing to worry about. I am all for the company using promotion to increase it's audience, since it is handled by a different team than the ones behind the show. Also, I know many people have been weary about Faust leaving, but I think this says things perfectly:

It isn't like she was the only person responsible for the shows quality / success. They have a good team on their hands and what she helped start is left in good hands.

Jsunu

Banned
Agreed, all the core people are still there to make FiM. Also, I am sure Lauren will have some sort of input into the series somehow.

Calpain said:

I'm okay with this as well. I wouldn't mind a little bit of the fandom getting into the show either. The fact that the director mentioned voice casting for a bunch of new ponies, I'm hoping this might mean we'll get more Lyra and Bonbon and maybe give Doctor Whoof a British accent, JUST as a little nod, and not go full blown Who parody.

Calpain

Articalys said:
http://i.imgur.com/TBaRD.jpg

I still can't fathom how all the relevant statistics are still increasing.

(taken from here)

yes, I know it's not technically a meme, the site even identifies it more as a subculture
Amazing isn't it? I remember coming to the page back when it had about 300k views or so and that was in early April.

Anyway, Moe has given us another beautiful image today. I hope he keeps it up!

mj1108

Calpain said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the older, brony fanbase had a little something to do with it. It seems like since the brony explosion they've been much more looser in the way they advertise it. For example, that billboard. You don't put up a billboard like that when targeting 6 year old girls.

Adelor Lyon

Neo Member
Articalys said:
http://i.imgur.com/TBaRD.jpg
I still can't fathom how all the relevant statistics are still increasing.
(taken from here)
This push to get MLP:FIM to the top of Know Your Meme's meme chart bothers me. I have friends who refuse to watch an episode BECAUSE it's gotten annoyingly overexposed because of random people posting images to every single messageboard my friends frequent. The images are being posted by people who care only for its memetic nature, not because it's a wonderful collection of writing, music, and animation, and the overexposure is annoying a lot of people, when they're posted on topic. Even here some people spam pony images, yet when it does it's almost never one of us posting them yet the collective PonyGAF gets the blame. I know the memes got the show exposure to have people dig deeper and see the show stands on its own quality-wise, but this isn't the kind of exposure the show needs, IMO.

Neki

Adelor Lyon said:
This push to get MLP:FIM to the top of Know Your Meme's meme chart bothers me. I have friends who refuse to watch an episode BECAUSE it's gotten annoyingly overexposed because of random people posting images to every single messageboard my friends frequent. The images are being posted by people who care only for its memetic nature, not because it's a wonderful collection of writing, music, and animation, and the overexposure is annoying a lot of people, when they're posted on topic. Even here some people spam pony images, yet when it does it's almost never one of us posting them yet the collective PonyGAF gets the blame. I know the memes got the show exposure to have people dig deeper and see the show stands on its own quality-wise, but this isn't the kind of exposure the show needs, IMO.
hipsters gonna hip. your friend's loss.

Calpain

Adelor Lyon said:
Eh, you take the bad with the good when something becomes wildly popular, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Until it really starts turning away large numbers of people I think it is a minor concern.

The KYM page rose to the top mainly due to a natural large increase of people visiting that page (Youtube stats on the first episode embedded on the article show KYM was able to direct at least 65k views to the video). While I admit the race to 'number one' got fanatical at the end the article would have gotten to number one regardless of any push.

Choppasmith said:
New comic by egophilliac with Celestia and Luna
http://imgur.com/2pwPc
Beautiful. I've loved all of egophiliac's Celestia and Luna comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom