• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNum

Nishastra said:
Aww, you've been doing fine in TF2. At least by my reckoning. Maybe I'm absolutely terrible myself :p

We generally all seem fairly evenly-matched except for the few people whose names I don't know that always show up and immediately get like 2x the score of the next person down (not even the same people each time...).

Yeah, I really just play games to have fun, and personally I think co-op is about the most fun you can have. Everything is more fun in co-op.

Only real exception is fighting games, but even then I love co-op, though there barely is such a thing. I used to wish desperately for people to do Dramatic Battles with in Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3 :p
Dramatic battles as in using the game to stage fights that look good? Yeah, I'd like to see that happen some times, too. Some of the tool assist exhibition videos that some people do are awesome. And then there's always good ol' dancing Voldo.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jintor said:
Holy shit, I just had the intense urge to crossover My Little Pony and Madoka Magica. Ohhhhh shiiiiit

lT6YV.jpg

Nishastra

Banned
McNum said:
Dramatic battles as in using the game to stage fights that look good? Yeah, I'd like to see that happen some times, too. Some of the tool assist exhibition videos that some people do are awesome. And then there's always good ol' dancing Voldo.
No, Dramatic Battle was a hidden mode in the Alpha games that got progressively more fleshed out as the series went on where you could have two players at once against the AI.

The players either shared a life bar or had individual, much smaller than usual, life bars, and they did about half damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1YmORzmvTM

I had a particular setup in Alpha 3 arcade where it would always be against Sagat (he was the most generally capable of handling two enemies at once without just being annoying like "Shin" Bison), and he'd have unlimited super meter and could cancel pretty much anything into anything, to make it more challenging, since it gets really easy eventually :p

McNum

Nishastra said:
No, Dramatic Battle was a hidden mode in the Alpha games that got progressively more fleshed out as the series went on where you could have two players at once against the AI.

The players either shared a life bar or had individual, much smaller than usual, life bars, and they did about half damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1YmORzmvTM

I had a particular setup in Alpha 3 arcade where it would always be against Sagat (he was the most generally capable of handling two enemies at once without just being annoying like "Shin" Bison), and he'd have unlimited super meter and could cancel pretty much anything into anything, to make it more challenging, since it gets really easy eventually :p
Okay that looks AWESOME. Why don't more fighting games do that? I'd love to co-op my way through MvC3 or similar.

tiff

Banned
Nishastra said:
Aww, you've been doing fine in TF2. At least by my reckoning. Maybe I'm absolutely terrible myself :p
It could be worse, but I still feel like I'm dying more than I'm doing anything helpful. I'm a bit of a pessimist, though.

Nishastra said:
We generally all seem fairly evenly-matched except for the few people whose names I don't know that always show up and immediately get like 2x the score of the next person down (not even the same people each time...).
Yeah, it's pretty helpful that most of us didn't really have any experience at all with the game when we started out.

Plus the style of the game alone kinda prevents it from feeling too competitive, which is cool.

Nishastra said:
Only real exception is fighting games, but even then I love co-op, though there barely is such a thing. I used to wish desperately for people to do Dramatic Battles with in Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3 :p
Oh, I can't play fighters at all generally, but I like Smash Bros. I'm not to great at it either, though :p

Acerac

Banned
What tf2 server has everyone been playing on? Pony filled TF2 servers are the best servers.

They're also surprisingly common. I would have never predicted running across so many fans of the show in my time playing the game.

tiff said:
It could be worse, but I still feel like I'm dying more than I'm doing anything helpful. I'm a bit of a pessimist, though.

I felt the same way when I started playing the game in April. Just try out a bunch of classes til you find one that clicks. Even people who can't aim for crap like me can find a fun niche. :)

Narag

Acerac said:
What tf2 server has everyone been playing on? Pony filled TF2 servers are the best servers.

They're also surprisingly common. I would have never predicted running across so many fans of the show in my time playing the game.

We use this one on Saturday nights usually since everyone seems to get a decent enough ping (except Jintor.)

I'll hop on the GAF server every once in a while otherwise it's either the NA version of Cloudsdale that has all sorts of great sound effects or valve tf server #9 as I fucking love the three ctf flags in rotation :p

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Jintor said:
Holy shit, I just had the intense urge to crossover My Little Pony and Madoka Magica. Ohhhhh shiiiiit

suvJF.jpg

I haven't actually watched it myself, though I heard mixed opinions on it. Would you recommend it?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Pankaks said:
suvJF.jpg

I haven't actually watched it myself, though I heard mixed opinions on it. Would you recommend it?

It's not for everyone, but if you have any interest in the magical girl anime genre, it's worth a watch. It's got a lot of things going for it that are a bit different from your standard fare magical girl show. Just give it till episode 3 before you decide to drop or keep going (fair warning that the first two episodes are a little dry). And stay out of the GAF thread.

Jintor

I definitely recommend it, but you really have to look past Shaft's incredibly terrible generic artstyle they chose to use as the base artstyle. They experiment though, which is rad.

Watch up to Episode 3 and see if you're even vaguely interested still.

Nishastra

Banned
McNum said:
Okay that looks AWESOME. Why don't more fighting games do that? I'd love to co-op my way through MvC3 or similar.
I imagine it's really hard to balance. They never did get it right, which is why I had to cheat on the computer's behalf to get anything resembling a challenge outside of a Bison who has great timing with his full-screen Psycho Crusher.

It was harder in Alpha 2, because you shared a life bar, so if you both got hit by one attack, you'd take double damage, and if one of you went down you both did. One good non-projectile, non-grab super and you were done.

I found some really bizarre synergy between some attacks playing Dramatic Battles. Eventually I ended up playing mostly Vega/Rolento. The amount of situations in which Vega can perform his diving grab move successfully are bizarre. With the right timing, you can basically grab a Tiger Uppercutting Sagat by his fist and flip him over, or grab someone who's been hit by Rolento's tripwire, and is in the middle of bouncing upside-down after the impact. It was a lot of fun :p

tiff said:
It could be worse, but I still feel like I'm dying more than I'm doing anything helpful.
That's certainly not true. It always seems to be you who randomly kills me when I feel like I'm doing well, as the game always seems to auto-adjust you to whichever team I'm not on :p

I know last week you killed me as like 4 different classes. I was like, "What, a sniper now?!"

Your score is also usually higher than mine unless I'm doing really well as a Pyro (read: there's lots of enemies clumped up and not paying attention to their flank) :p

tiff said:
I'm a bit of a pessimist, though.
This does seem to be true, though :p

Actually, based on my newfound medical expertise, I'd say that Medic would probably be a very good class for you. The Medic sucks at actually fighting. All they really do is attach themselves to someone else and make them better while trying to avoid getting shot. I don't think anyone would resent having a Medic along with them :p

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I encourage Pony-GAF and the other GAF subcommunities to come up with designs representing their respective subcommunity for our NeoGAF t-shirt contest. >$500 in prizes for participants and the shirts will all be at-cost.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438373

Remember, no copyright infringement, so subtlety may be required in this case!

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
EviLore said:
I encourage Pony-GAF and the other GAF subcommunities to come up with designs representing their respective subcommunity for our NeoGAF t-shirt contest. >$500 in prizes for participants and the shirts will all be at-cost.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438373

Remember, no copyright infringement, so subtlety may be required in this case!
I'm sure bringing up ponies in that thread will go down swimmingly.

An outline of Bella would be cool with the Gaf Logo in white on her flank (where the cutie mark goes).

CHEEZMO™ said:
I'm sure bringing up ponies in that thread will go down swimmingly.

It's EvilLore sanctioned. They can't say SHIT.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jintor said:
Is the pony templete/style itself copyright infringement? Belle Eve is nearly ready made!

I don't think it would be. I'm fairly certain you can't copyright an art style.

Jintor said:
Is the pony templete/style itself copyright infringement? Belle Eve is nearly ready made!

Official designed would be trademarked.
Bella would be perfectly fine to use.
Like I said, a black/white silhouette of her with the GAF logo showing on her flank would be a great design.

McNum

Yeah, a silhouette of Belle Eve in her original pose with the GAF logo on her flank as her cutie mark seems perfect for a PonyGAF shirt. You know, the one we used as an avatar for the Season Finale. Was it carek who drew that one?

Also, I request this video as the final video of the next Synchtube. Seems fitting somehow.

tiff

Banned
Pankaks said:
It's not as great as some people make it out to be but it's definitely worth watching.

Nishastra said:
That's certainly not true. It always seems to be you who randomly kills me when I feel like I'm doing well, as the game always seems to auto-adjust you to whichever team I'm not on :p

I know last week you killed me as like 4 different classes. I was like, "What, a sniper now?!"
Haha, yeah, I've been shuffling through quite a few classes. I like to switch around depending on the situation. Sniper or Heavy if we're making a defensive stand, maybe Scout if we're trying to push for a control point. I'm usually not much of a sniper in games but I've taken quite a liking to the class here. I think I need to work on charging the shot more though because I noticed I've been 2-3 hit killing quite a few people, which isn't really what I'd expect from a sniper.

And yeah, thinking about it, I guess the game does like to pair us up against each other, lol.

Nishastra said:
Actually, based on my newfound medical expertise, I'd say that Medic would probably be a very good class for you. The Medic sucks at actually fighting. All they really do is attach themselves to someone else and make them better while trying to avoid getting shot. I don't think anyone would resent having a Medic along with them :p
Yeah, I'm definitely going to try Medic next time we play. I was kinda scared to at first because I wasn't really sure what the best Medic strategy is but the people on that server are so easy-going (they're bronies, after all) that I don't think it really matters.

McNum said:
Yeah, a silhouette of Belle Eve in her original pose with the GAF logo on her flank as her cutie mark seems perfect for a PonyGAF shirt. You know, the one we used as an avatar for the Season Finale. Was it carek who drew that one?
Was her cutie mark always the GAF logo? It'd make sense and all but thinking about it, I don't really remember.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Carek's approval of course, but just put this on the back of a shirt without the text.

gmGpy.jpg

With Belle Eve on the front chest corner.

And be respectful guys, don't submit anything with Belle unless Carek gives his blessing, it is his creation.

Acerac

Banned
Narag said:
We use this one on Saturday nights usually since everyone seems to get a decent enough ping (except Jintor.)

I'll hop on the GAF server every once in a while otherwise it's either the NA version of Cloudsdale that has all sorts of great sound effects or valve tf server #9 as I fucking love the three ctf flags in rotation :p
Thanks! I'll add them to my favorites.

I've been looking for a good pony server.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Its pretty awesome that PonyGAF got an official endorsement. I was planning on drawing something up w/ Belle Eve's design anyways, but this is cool too.

But AFTER I finish what I'm putting off doing by even dropping by >_>

Ellis Kim

Banned
careksims said:
Don't Bak. That very person is commissioning me to ink and color it and also do a Twilight at the Con as well.
There's nothing wrong with him drawing over the jpg, carek D:

Oh, and FYI, Carek, I think its gonna be worth noting that if a shirt design w/ Belle is submitted, that ownership of the shirt's design is automatically transferred to GAF. Just a bit of legalese that's worth noting. I'm sure it doesn't apply to ownership of the character, though.

edit: http://www.spreadshirt.com/create-t...fined/productTypeId/175/colorId/1/type/detail

Voting is officially over! Here are the final standings!

Fluttershy: 166
Pinkie Pie: 155
Rainbow Dash: 146
Twilight Sparkle: 141
Rarity: 131
Applejack: 78

39 people cast their votes! Here's a breakdown of how the voting went. 1st place votes will be the first number, and on down the list:

Twilight: 4/8/8/9/8/2
Rainbow Dash: 12/3/7/5/6/6
Applejack: 1/2/3/4/9/20
Rarity: 4/6/6/11/8/4
Pinkie: 6/9/11/6/5/2
Fluttershy: 12/11/4/4/3/5
Some interesting tidbits from the statistics:

-Rainbow Dash's 3rd place finish caught me by surprise. She was tied with Fluttershy for the most first-place votes, but apparently doesn't have anywhere near as many people who have her as their almost favorite. Fluttershy's 11-3 margin in second place voting was key to her success. Pinkie claiming a 9-3 lead in second-place votes and 11-7 advantage in third place votes explains her vaulting the favored pegasus, as well.

-Interestingly, those top two front-runners also generated a bit of hate. They had the second and third most number of last-place votes. Twilight and Pinkie tied for the least number of last-place votes, at two apiece, making them much more competitive with those two than they would be otherwise.

-Despite Fluttershy's eventual victory, the vote was incredibly close. 4 of the six ponies had an average position between 3rd and 4th. Fluttershy's average position was 2.8, and Applejack's was 5th.

-A little over half the ballots had Applejack in last place.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I'm ok with that list, even though I didn't vote.

I would've gone Fluttershy, Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, but that's ok.

Whogie said:
Thanks for doing that.
Rarity so low? For shame.

What's really interesting is how close the balloting was. Pinkie managed second place, but her average rank was onle 3.1st. Rarity's was 3.7th.

For reference in terms of average rank:

Fluttershy: 2.8th
Pinkie Pie: 3.1st
RAinbow Dash: 3.3rd
TWilight Sparkle: 3.4th
RArity: 3.7th
Applejack: 5th

Aside from AJ's rank, that's really close!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i would switch pinkie and dash personally, but i did not vote since everyone knows how i feel about applejack and i didn't want people thinking i bombed her average.

luckily people are smart and bombed it anyway!
i like people.

Acerac

Banned
People get angry at me when I point out that AJ is the worst pony, but science has backed me up!

Good list I think. My personal entry had Rarity a bit too high, but I felt she needed the help. Apparently it didn't matter.

*Edit*

Damn, the top 5 ponies were closer to each other than AJ was to the fifth place pony.

Sounds about right.

Calpain

Amibguous Cad said:
What's really interesting is how close the balloting was. Pinkie managed second place, but her average rank was onle 3.1st. Rarity's was 3.7th.

For reference in terms of average rank:

Fluttershy: 2.8th
Pinkie Pie: 3.1st
RAinbow Dash: 3.3rd
TWilight Sparkle: 3.4th
RArity: 3.7th
Applejack: 5th

Aside from AJ's rank, that's really close!
I had a feeling most would be really close, glad to see that is actually the case. If AJ gets some awesome episodes next season I bet we can get her up there with the rest. Seeing how close each of the ranks are for the most part everypony is best pony! Each of them are appealing in their own ways.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Acerac said:
People get angry at me when I point out that AJ is the worst pony, but science has backed me up!

Good list I think. My personal entry had Rarity a bit too high, but I felt she needed the help. Apparently it didn't matter.

*Edit*

Damn, the top 5 ponies were closer to each other than AJ was to the fifth place pony.

Sounds about right.
Such a hater, acerac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom