• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

DrForester said:
I like the idea of no text on the back, or the front, just the pony. It's more the pony-gaf text. I don't like explaining shirts, and shirts with text usually get more questions.
Agreed, no text makes them more wearable outside with less questions asked. And it should still be recognisable for GAF folks.
DrForester said:
And I still love the design of the Pinkie one a few pages ago, that style for any of the mane 6 would be nice for a non-gaf shirt.
Someone get the merchandise department for Hasbro.

Bakphoon said:
Probably new characters in the baloon confirmed:

Jayson Thiessen himself said it so.

The man claims to be a fan of Brad Bird.

This Thiessen fellow can do no wrong, it seems.

Regarding new characters, the one of the left is obviously Gummy's father, right? He will venture to Ponyville to retake his lost son from the evil clutches of Pinkie Pie. If you thought that Pinkie Pie goes a bit loco in the coco in Episode 25, I'm afraid we've only just seen the tip of the iceburg.

Edit:
Quinnjaminn better be incorrect!

Checking out the Spreadshirt choices, they didn't seem to have white or black ringers with orange cuffs. :(

They didn't even have the same amount of colors as the American Apparel website. Hopefully there's some option of getting different designs.

edit2: blah just never mind, front + back design tacks on $20, making the shirt I'd want $38.08... nah.

edit:
Captain Fish said:
Checking out the Spreadshirt choices, they didn't seem to have white or black ringers with orange cuffs. :(

They didn't even have the same amount of colors as the American Apparel website. Hopefully there's some option of getting different designs.
that's depressing. Not sure if I care about making one now.

here's the closest shirt i could find :( http://i.imgur.com/7OWUE.png

Myke Greywolf said:
Also: my submissions to the shirt design thread:

http://i.imgur.com/dUomv.png
any chance you can vector that with this color scheme? or post a high red version so i can beg other people to?

http://i.imgur.com/7OWUE.png

I'm being kinda greedy here in that i don't care if I'm the only person to buy the design I want I kinda want to submit it at least. Trying to make the 3 color design so it'd be a flex/flock whatever

McNum

That's a pretty nice shirt design. If we want to save colors, couldn't Belle Eve just use a grey "totally not a 3DS even if it looks like one"?

Speaking of 3DSs, mine is now getting repaired. Yay. Up to three weeks until it returns.

EDIT: Bad typo fixed, see below.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
McNum said:
That's a pretty nice shit design. If we want to save colors, couldn't Belle Eve just use a grey "totally not a 3DS even if it looks like one"?

Speaking of 3DSs, mine is now getting repaired. Yay. Up to three weeks until it returns.

Ouch, I feel your pain man. I had to wait 4 weeks for my 360 to come back.

But look on the bright side, your 3DS thread got a pirate banned :D.

Nishastra

Banned
Pankaks said:
But look on the bright side, your 3DS thread got a pirate banned :D
YTWlE.jpg

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
TouchMyBox said:
Edit:
Quinnjaminn better be incorrect!
Sorry TouchMyBox, but here's what Nayuki said:

"The one on the left has aviator goggles on."

"http://mlp.wikia.com/index.php?title=List_of_ponies/Season_one/Earth_ponies&image=Cherry_id-png

Then add awesome goggles/cap.

The one on the right will remain a secret though."

McNum

Nishastra said:
Make up your mind! :p
Typo. :p

I meant "shirt". But now that it's quoted, it's too late to fix it. That'll teach me to type when tired. Had quite a busy day, extended family trip to a petting zoo. Keeping track of my four-year-old niece among small goats and actual ponies is a workout. Still, real ponies! Yay! They're pretty cute, although I had forgotten how short they really are. Suddenly the size chart posted earlier about the MLP ponies makes sense to me. They really are that short.

Yeah, it's annoying with the 3DS, but things break. Just happened to be mine this time. Had an awful luck with electronics this July. One dead PC, one fried power supply in the new PC, a dead harddisk (with all my documents on it, all recovered, thankfully), and finally the 3DS. I've had about enough of that now. Thankfully my custom Arcade Stick's issues could be fixed with a thorough cleaning.

And yeah, I did get a pirate banned. Although that one was mostly Gravijah's kill, I was just the assist. Still, it counts as a point in TF2, so I'll count it here, too.

McNum

Nishastra said:
Hooray for Hasbro, I guess! :p
I guess that 16% increase in MLP toy sales has something to do with Hasbro's friendly attitude towards this. Even if they don't know how it works with the whole going viral thing, they do know THAT it works. Sales of plastic ponies have increased.
Captain Fish said:
Assists are only half a point, but I get what you're saying.
They are? Well, in the end, it boils down to the target not being able to outsmart BULLIT.

tiff

Banned
brian577 said:
An article on the legality of parodies. Guess what gets prominently featured
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040411?refCatId=19
Good for Hasbro. Copyright is a pretty ridiculous issue in America.

McNum said:
And yeah, I did get a pirate banned. Although that one was mostly Gravijah's kill, I was just the assist. Still, it counts as a point in TF2, so I'll count it here, too.
I just read that. Can't believe he just out and said it.

my assumption on the difference between peanutweeter and pmvs on youtube is that when you make your own site you probably put advertising on it and that means you're profiting off of other peoples work.

youtube might profit, but the creator of the pmv is not using it for profit.

Calpain

Hey guys, found this on DA and thought it was adorable.

(Source)

As for the Variety article, I'm glad Hasbro hasn't cracked down on the pony stuff, especially the episodes. I don't think the show would have been as successful without all that stuff on Youtube.

Owlowiscious said:
my assumption on the difference between peanutweeter and pmvs on youtube is that when you make your own site you probably put advertising on it and that means you're profiting off of other peoples work.

youtube might profit, but the creator of the pmv is not using it for profit.

So what about parodies done in series like South Park, or Family Guy, or easter egg parodies in games. They are clearly parodies, so they are safe, but the are also making money from the product were the parody is placed.
So I dont really understand if there is really a line that you can or cant cross.
m relly asking here, becuase I dont really understand how this works.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
So what about parodies done in series like South Park, or Family Guy, or easter egg parodies in games. They are clearly parodies, so they are safe, but the are also making money from the product were the parody is placed.
So I dont really understand if there is really a line that you can or cant cross.
m relly asking here, becuase I dont really understand how this works.
those are clearly parodies and not copy/pasting people's works and replacing the text, or cutting up direct video feeds and replacing the audio (audio usually also someone else's IP)

the point i am using here is that in all the examples you mentioned they re-drew or re-created the item, and not copy/pasted the item. this doesn't automatically mean parody, but that's the point i will use for your qeustion

Acerac

Banned
Hasbro not cracking down on youtube videos has sold merchandise to me despite how limited it is.

If they start producing more merchandise that I'd actually want then I'd spend a lot more... assuming I can continue to enjoy the show in the way I typically do so.

Do they want my money or not?

Theonik

Does the Hub even have ads? If not, why bother taking the videos down when they help make the show even more popular and thus sell more merchandise?

Calpain

Theonik said:
I mean if they feature ads during the shows or not. lol
If they did people watching it on YT would be directly cutting from their revenue. Otherwise they are free advertising for them.
And btw these ads are just awesome!
Yeah they have ads during the show. The way I see it though is that the viewership on the Hub right now is so low the money they make from toys and such from the internet audience easily offsets potential loses in TV ad revenue.

The other thing is that the ads they do show during air time are geared mostly towards children anyway so I doubt the advertisers care much about us not seeing their ads. Maybe once the Hub gets into even more homes Hasbro will start to care, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Nothing good comes from removing your stuff. I always point to Top Gear. One of the most watched shows...

LltKE.jpg

...in the world, and they don't care if people pirate it. They routinely give shout outs to one of their biggest fan sites, which happily posts torrent links to the episodes just minutes after it's done airing on BBC2. The BBC America channel even makes jokes about it in their advertising. It hasn't hurt the show in the least.

mj1108

brian577 said:
An article on the legality of parodies. Guess what gets prominently featured
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040411?refCatId=19

At this point I would say Hasbro will be the last company to ever try to take down parodies with the brony explosion. If there's one thing you do when you get an unlikely following is you don't ruin a good thing. There would be one hell of a backlash if they started takedowns.

Kudos to Hasbro for playing along!!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DrForester said:
Nothing good comes from removing your stuff. I always point to Top Gear. One of the most watched shows...

...in the world, and they don't care if people pirate it. They routinely give shout outs to one of their biggest fan sites, which happily posts torrent links to the episodes just minutes after it's done airing on BBC2. The BBC America channel even makes jokes about it in their advertising. It hasn't hurt the show in the least.

Well, they have the double whammy of revenue from both taxpayers and product placement, don't they?

tafer

mj1108 said:
At this point I would say Hasbro will be the last company to ever try to take down parodies with the brony explosion. If there's one thing you do when you get an unlikely following is you don't ruin a good thing. There would be one hell of a backlash if they started takedowns.

Kudos to Hasbro for playing along!!

If I recall correctly, Hasbro did take down (or tried to) the hilarious Gi-Joe parodies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4OPr_QxoFg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eA3XCvrK90
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJQcJBjObEc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww3GTNv9hHk

Info: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/gi-joe-psas

In any case, it seems that this strategy is working well for Hasbro. and I hope it will bring huge benefits for them in the near future. With some luck others will follow and many of the retarded anti-fan created content practices will finally disappear.

Furret

Banned
ZealousD said:
Well, they have the double whammy of revenue from both taxpayers and product placement, don't they?

The BBC receives no money from product placement.

In fact product placement is not allowed by its charter. Top Gear only gets away with it because it pretends its a consumer review show.

I was hoping to load up my phone with some more recent Pony music, any recommendations? I already have some of the older stuff, like Eurobeat Brony, PinkiePieSwear, Avast Fluttershy and a few others.

2th

Banned
Pandaman said:
thats not belle...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO BELLE!

taken her on magnificent dates, bought her exquisite dinners, bought her high end PC and video game equipment. you know, treated her right. not stalked her like you need we remind you of the restraining order??

Omn4H.png

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
Kulock said:
I was hoping to load up my phone with some more recent Pony music, any recommendations? I already have some of the older stuff, like Eurobeat Brony, PinkiePieSwear, Avast Fluttershy and a few others.
A few weeks ago, I went through and downloaded nearly 1.5 GB of pony related music. Here are some of my favorite artists, along with recommended songs (though I suggest you check out their whole libraries).

From within ponyGAF, Bufbaf has created a 15 song compilation of mashups between vocaloids and MLP songs that he dubbed My Little Vocaloid. Even if you aren't a fan of vocaloids, you should definitely listen to At the Gala x Last Night Good Night. Even Daniel Ingram commented on it!

Derpy Hooves has a small collection of pony songs, including Lunar Eclipse, which I recall getting some love back in April. The youtube description has links to downloads and more of his music.

DJ Alex S. was featured several times in the synchtubes to mixed opinions. He does dubstep remixes that, while good for what they are, definitely aren't for everyone. Also, in one of his...stranger songs, he gives a shout out to SuperKaizoku1138, who I believe is Choppasmith from ponyGAF.

DJ Amaya released an amazing Winter Wrap Up remix a while back. So far, this is the only pony mix he's done, but he said that he's working on At the Gala and Art of the Dress.

Foozogz (PepperBrony) has some pretty good remixes / original music on his channel, including a remix of Avast Fluttershy.

InfinityDash has a wide variety of music on his channel, but most are background music rips and extensions of songs. Check out Fluttershy's Model Mix and the Cutie Mark Crusading song first.

JackleApp doesn't have the most songs, but they are all golden. In particular, You Gotta Glitch sends chills down my spine.

Makkon is absolutely amazing. I won't give a specific song recommendation -- they're all fantastic. Definitely check him out.

Not A Clever Pony is my other favorite artist besides Makkon. Though most of his songs are fantastic, his 5 song Princess Luna EP is his magnum opus.

Though you mentioned PinkiePieSwear, I'd recommend looking at the newer work that he's put up.

NRGForce does piano renditions of MLP songs, which are quite enjoyable to listen to. However, his best works are the two medleys that he put up. They're astounding.

Saltlakrits has done a few great remixes, including At the Winter Gala that got a lot of praise a while back.

Finally, if you haven't already, check out the actual soundtrack.

---

While this isn't a comprehensive list of artists, these are some of the highlights. Let me know if you want any more sources for MLP music -- I'd love to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom