• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge: HARD LINES

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
335146322.581975skuj.jpg

-
update: Challenge is over
*Congrats -Pyromaniac-!*
-
It's that time again!
I've set up everything with my iPad, so I'm sorry if it isn't that good looking or there are some typos :)
Credits go to teamaxe for all the banners and to Flunkie for the Touch Gaming's op!

Following the success of CANABALT, MR. NINJA and FLICK KICK FOOTBALL's contests, we're back for a new

GAF's iOS WEEKLY CHALLENGE!
337476557.905415jul6.jpg

It's not at all forbidden to post about the challenge in the Touch Gaming |OT|, like we did with Tiny Wings and many other games of course, but this specific thread is here with the purpose of avoiding a flood of score posts sinking all the others for a whole week in the TG's thread.
We also usually have prizes, plenty of awesome goods for you guys to earn!
If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, just CONTACT ME via PM. Also, if you're a fellow Gaffer who wants to just throw some little prize the way of our challenges, shoot me a PM!
Check below for all the infos.

The game chosen is:

•HARD LINES #GAME MODE: Dead Lines

A gloriously inventive combination of Nokia's Snake and Tron's light cycles battles on the Grid, the result is a pure as a diamond new-retro arcade joint

mzl.zuogdrtk.320x480-75.jpg

Edge: 8/10 "Original, funny and intense, this score-attack game is anything but an idle distraction."
Slide To Play: 4/4 "You will believe...that lines have feelings, too."
Eurogamer: 8/10 “Like most things in life, personality goes a long way, and Hard Lines has it in spades. And probably buckets as well
Pocketgamer.co.uk: 8/10 "Hard Lines provides weeks of entertainment for short-burst gamers and dedicated score-chasers alike."

2d87d59b89ef5c2b4eafcfd533d9d7b5.jpg

-Hard Lines on iTunes (Universal app, $0.99/€0.79/£0.69)

•Challenge's Times:

#STARTS September 1st, 02:00 (AM) GMT Update: Challenge is OVER!
#ENDS: September 8th, 00:05 (AM) GMT

Current GMT / World Time
t1315440300z0.png

-RULES:

•To participate you just need the game and to add me on Game Center (Dash Kappei GAF). As soon as you fire up the game and play it for the first time while being signed in Game Center, you'll be part of the Challenge. That's it.
*Add "From GAF," and your nickname on GAF or I won't add you*.
•GAFFers only, I won't accept requests from non-gaffers. Sorry lurkers.
•Check the Master List Membership (info section below) if you want to add others, but being on the list isn't mandatory to play.
•Scores are valid only for the "This Week" section on the leadearboards and those scores made before the challenge won't be counted for the full final results, even if mistakenly counted during the challenge.
•You can still enter the Challenge even if it has already started, granted I'm able to accept your GC's friend request on time. You can join the contest at any time, even if there's just an hour to go.
•Posting your new scores in this thread is encouraged as well as posting your Game Center profile for others to check on your score when you do so. This is not at all mandatory anyway.

-PRIZES

q9qEk.jpg

Bumpy Road on iTunes (Universal app, $2.99/€2.39/£1.79)

3 codes for indie smash hit Bumpy Road from Simogo will be given away for the contest, one each for scores #1, #2 and #3  on the leaderboard.

This week's prizes have (again!) been donated upfront by awesome NeoGAF's dev/member Ninjagorilla of Simogo's fame!
~
Dash Kappei put up the prize for the 4th place: Bit Trip Blitz (needs US account)
Wario 64 contributed with the raffle's prize, a lucky GAFfer who participated in the contest will get a copy of: Groove Coaster (needs a US account)
~
Wanna check out Ninjagorilla's work and reward such a generous gaffer by having a go at his game?
Then you should definitely CLICK HERE

Want to see the game in action first? NO! Don't you wanna blindy support a fellow gaffer? What's wrong with you?! Seriously, Bumpy Road *IS* awesome and you should all buy it.
If you don't believe me, here's a Youtube Video of Bumpy Road's official trailer. See? Isn't that cool?! :)

-Useful LINKS:

Spilt Milk Studios's Official website: Hard Lines.

Edge's review of Hard Lines (8 out of 10)

Bumpy Road Official Website

NeoGAF's Touch Gaming Thread

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge [1] - Canabalt (ends on page357)

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge [2] - Mr. Ninja

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge [3] - Flick Kick Football

~

1Y5kx.png

NeoGaf's Game Center Master List

• Send Dash Kappei a PM if you want to be added to the list or taken off the list, following this EXACT same text formatting 

GAF Name = Name [GC] / Name [OF] / Name [Plus+] / Device
(e.g. Dash Kappei / Dash Kappei GAF / Dash Kappei GAF / none / iPad)

Dash Kappei

Dash Kappei

It's ON!

Hope you guys have fun :)

Thanks again to Ninjagorilla for the prizes!
And to Wario as well, of course ;)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
My first try: 144k

183k now

Could have gotten over 200k easily. Like Geometry Wars, once you die, your groove is dead

I've had this game on my phone since it was announced as free but never played it... So you guys have a headstart on the game mechanics. No matter, I shall burn my way up the charts slowly but surely...

Dash Kappei

I SUCK.
:(

Btw, a bit of a gamble choosing this game for the challenge: until two days ago before the choice had been "finalized", last I checked I only had 26 gaffers with the game.
I wonder how high we can climb, usually we at least double the starting number.
I know FKF's 109 players is unreachable, but I'd be happy to come close of Mr.Ninja's 74.
But hey, I love this game and it deserved a chance to shine imo.
Worst that can happen I could at least shoot for a top5 spot this time! :D

Oh, wait, nope I suck too hard at the game... Nevermind then.

This game was even free for a little big not too long ago, shame more people didn't grab it then. Still surprised at the 109 lol.

And Dash, you can dooooooooooooooooo et.

dantehemi

I bet we get close to 50, I have played this game very little, and I can tell most who are on the fence about this game that it is well worth it. And these gaf challenges really get exciting and you deffinatly get your money's worth out of a game when you participate in one of these.

jlevel13

When I first picked up this game a few weeks ago (when it was free), I thought it was a little dull, but thanks to the challenge I've given it another shot and have gotten pretty into it.

The only thing that bugs me about playing deadline mode for score is that it feels a little too random. Sometimes you can go the full 3 minutes w/o ever seeing one of the red drops, other times you'll see two right in a row at the beginning (which is somewhat useless since there are so few lines on the screen to kill). It's a little grindy hoping you get a series of nice red drops at the right moments. Playing more, I don't feel like I'm really getting much better at the mode, just increasing the odds that the randomness ends up working out...

Using swipe, by the way.

Dash Kappei

sn1pes said:
Dash, if I was in the previous contest do I just need to download and play to be in?

Yep.
Grab the game, play. That's it.

100k. Ok, I'm awful and I need some tips c'mon.
I mean, what's the right flow to score high? Besides not dying :p

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Newcomer here (both to hardlines and iOS gaming) and I managed to get to 93,020 in my first few tries yesterday, hopefully I'll cross the 100,000's and won't finish too embarrassingly. I've been using tappy but I wish I could wrap my head around turny (I can do it when things are slow but after 1 minute I start doing silly turns. Maybe I'll try it again later).

The little sentences the snakes say can be hilarious, I keep wanting to read them instead of focusing, lol.

I've never used Gamecenter, let alone added anyone. Somewhere along the line I did sign up with my username so I am logged in currently.

How do I add Dash as a friend?

thanks for helping out a noob.

Dash Kappei

Incitemaybe said:
I've never used Gamecenter, let alone added anyone. Somewhere along the line I did sign up with my username so I am logged in currently.

How do I add Dash as a friend?

thanks for helping out a noob.

Click on the Game Center icon. Now, on the bottom you see four icons: choose REQUESTS. Now click on the + symbol on the top right corner of your screen, add my profile Dash Kappei GAF in the text box and click on SEND.

Dash Kappei said:
Click on the Game Center icon. Now, on the bottom you see four icons: choose REQUESTS. Now click on the + symbol on the top right corner of your screen, add my profile Dash Kappei GAF in the text box and click on SEND.

I think this is where my confusion lies.......from what I'm reading online, there is a GameCenter app? I can't add you from within Hard Lines?

Edit: Ok, I searched my pod for Game Center and it came up :) (I had no idea where I had hidden it)

Incitemaybe said:
I think this is where my confusion lies.......from what I'm reading online, there is a GameCenter app? I can't add you from within Hard Lines?
yes there is a GC app, you should already have it pre-installed assuming you're running OS 4.0 or above.

Wnq9X.jpg

edit: ahh you got it

Dash Kappei

Incitemaybe said:
Ok, PM sent, Gc add sent.....I hope I did it right haha :)

You did. Now go score some points :)

-Pyro-, do you go for every pill out there and then try to kill other lines along the way or...?

Dash Kappei said:
You did. Now go score some points :)

-Pyro-, do you go for every pill out there and then try to kill other lines along the way or...?
pill first, but I'll kill any if they are on the way to it without having to take much of a detour. Then when the line starts speeding up, that's when I go into kill mode since there are too many obstacles to get the pills at that point anyway.

dyls

Does anyone else immediately take out any line that steals a red pill? It becomes my mission to crush them.

Dash Kappei

I see, pills first then thanks guys. But in berserker mode, if I get a red pill soon in the game, should I go for a killspree or even in that case the pills should get priority?

Top Bottom