• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Made a new Chrome extension: Mustachify as you browse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice

Working with a friend on some JavaScript TDD exercises, we wrote a new Chrome extension that mustachifies all the images of faces on each page that you browse.

It's a lot of fun watching your Facebook feed become littered with mustached girls and children. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

Link: http://is.gd/mustache

Update: if you'd be kind enough to leave a star rating if you like it, that'd be awesome. Would like to get this promoted by the store.

Update 2: We just wanged mustachify.me :-(. I'm working to spin up my own instance now, but we're going to explode face detection API limit really quickly. Anyone who has a ton of server resources: please let me know if you want to help!

Update 3: Yay! Just reimplemented the plugin and it should address both the scaling issues and some of the bizarre image loads people were experiencing. It now requires your own face.com API key, which you can get here: http://developers.face.com/signup/

0AT96.jpg

The Internet doesn't get much better than this.

Codeblue

Well, probably gonna install this on my friends browser tomorrow without his knowledge and see how long it takes him to realize something is going on.

MarkusRJR

It doesn't work when I view a friend's pictures on facebook. :(

Other than that it's pretty good.

EDIT: It doesn't seem to work on tumblr either. D:

Juice

Yaceka said:
It doesn't work when I view a friend's pictures on facebook. :(

Other than that it's pretty good.
It works on facebook's picture browser for me... but the service may not be able to Mustachify private pictures because it can't get to the URL.

in any case, thanks so much to everyone for the positive feedback. Please have fun with it and tweet about it / tell your friends! I'd love for this thing to spread, simply because it seems to evoke so much smiling and laughter. :)

Juice

Mush said:
Not working for me. :/
Try a few sites. It doesn't work on, say, google image search due to the bizarre optimizations google does. Try bing image search for something that'll return people.

hayejin

Curious as to what wizardry you use to determine whether a pic has face or not and to know exactly where the nose is.

Juice

to the folks having the failures: weird + sorry :-(

I'm not having the issue (mustachify.me is still up, and since it runs on heroku we're unlikely to bring it down).

Perhaps I'll push a fork of mustachify.me to my own heroku account and point the plugin there, rather than overwhelm them. Can anyone who's having issues spit out their browser console logs in a [ code ] block?

Thoraxes

It takes a couple seconds to work everything out and get applied to the pictures, but it works very well. Just wait like a minute after opening a page to see it.

Juice

Thoraxes said:
It takes a couple seconds to work everything out and get applied to the pictures, but it works very well. Just wait like a minute after opening a page to see it.
Yeah, we tried replacing the image earlier (stopping the initial load and replacing the source straight away), but it was much more jarring. Really wanted to keep the plugin unobtrusive. Not much opportunity to make it faster as a result.

going through that thread, i love that there are some random people with no mustache's, ripe for the mustaching, that the extension just gives the middle finger.

edit: of course, I refreshed and now he has a mustache.

Of course.

The M.O.B

My avatar haz no mustach :(

Also the pictures that people are posting here with mustaches now have double staches haha

5 Stars

EDIT: lol now a stache shows up on mine

Codeblue

Is Photobucket one of those sites it has trouble with or is it just me?

If so, I'm deleting my Photobucket account right now.

D.Lo

Working on gaf but nowhere else. Running Lion is that helps.

Still the best moustache based extension I've ever used.

cajunator

Banned
This is goddamn fucking GENIUS is what it is.

How do you program it to recognize faces and shit like that? Seems somewhat difficult to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom