• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG Aero

Slamtastic said:
A good point. Are you really going to look for Canon from a source where Fluttershy is a recolored Rainbow Dash?
I like to think of there as being a hierarchy of canonicity.
The show itself/People who work on the show > Merchandise > Fanon
So until someone from the show talks about their names or they are named in an episode, yes.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
IZ8xR.png

lol, Skoon <3

ruby_onix said:
Any fanart that stubbornly refuses to accept Derpy's name is immediately ruined for me.

Yeah, for god sake fandom, Derpy is the name they use for her in the storyboards.
I dont know why people still want to call her ditzy.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Yeah, for god sake fandom, Derpy is the name they use for her in the storyboards.
I dont know why people still want to call her ditzy.
Because Derpy implies that she has a certain...condition.

Not saying that people shouldn't use it, it's just my excuse for steering away from it.

ruby_onix said:
Any fanart that stubbornly refuses to accept Derpy's name is immediately ruined for me.

Eh, the term "Derpy" apparently has some pretty sketch background in its belittling of mentally handicapped people. Can't really blame someone for trying to foster a more inclusive environment.

Cheerilee

Thnikkaman said:
Because Derpy implies that she has a certain...condition.

Not saying that people shouldn't use it, it's just my excuse for steering away from it.
And yet, people still draw her with derp-eyes.

Amibguous Cad said:
Eh, the term "Derpy" apparently has some pretty sketch background in its belittling of mentally handicapped people. Can't really blame someone for trying to foster a more inclusive environment.
The easiest way to counter that is simply to not depict Derpy as being retarded. The more the word is associated with something harmless and fun, the less it's associated with something mean-spirited and vile.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ruby_onix said:
well yeah, they are the trait that defined her rise in fandom.

otherwise she'd be named clumsy bubbles and nobody would care about her.

besides, you can have crossed eyes without being mentally challenged.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
especially shipping pony on pony.

thats just wasteful of pony.

you dont pair peanut butter with more peanut butter.
you pair it with chocolate!

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Pandaman said:
especially shipping pony on pony.

thats just wasteful of pony.

you dont pair peanut butter with more peanut butter.
you pair it with chocolate!
That's what the Futashy tumblr is for.

ruby_onix said:

ruby_onix said:

The easiest way to counter that is simply to not depict Derpy as being retarded. The more the word is associated with something harmless and fun, the less it's associated with something mean-spirited and vile.

I agree. It really bothers me too. I even read a fanfic where the author called her Bright Eyes. I posted a comment saying how that was a worse name choice that's like calling a fat pony "Slim" instead of "Chunky", it's being sarcastically offensive. You don't see hordes of people referring to Disney's Dopey or Dumbo as alternate names. Don't see why Derpy has to be any different. Although I've seen some people in their fanfics label her Ditzy Doo, while Derpy Hooves is her nickname. Doesn't bug me as much.

CHEEZMO™ said:
http://i.imgur.com/IZ8xR.png

lol, Skoon <3

Is that the same artist who does the Ask Berry Punch tumblr? Of all the varied types of pony art that gets it's fair share of disdain from various PonyGAFers, "furry ponies" bug the crap out of me. I don't mean Anthro because that's just a style/interpretation that's hit or miss with me. I mean drawing that little bit of fur around their chest, neck, or legs. PONIES DON'T HAVE FUR, FURRIES! Ugh. Yeah, really not a fan of furry culture. Not as hateful as 2th mind you, I just have a strong distaste for it.

That Doom Pony is so awesome! And thanks for the EP recommendations. I totally agree that as great as Return of Harmony is, definitely not a good first episode for new people.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Choppasmith said:
Is that the same artist who does the Ask Berry Punch tumblr? Of all the varied types of pony art that gets it's fair share of disdain from various PonyGAFers, "furry ponies" bug the crap out of me. I don't mean Anthro because that's just a style/interpretation that's hit or miss with me. I mean drawing that little bit of fur around their chest, neck, or legs. PONIES DON'T HAVE FUR, FURRIES! Ugh. Yeah, really not a fan of furry culture. Not as hateful as 2th mind you, I just have a strong disdain for it.
But fluffy ponies are adorable. 9 out of 10 doctors agree.

Link Man

Banned
Sorry if there are some reposts in here, as I came to the thread late:

(Careksims!)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

WAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom