• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Conf] Wii U Panorama View (features, screens, holiday 2012)

Eradicate

I think you all have a good ideas with adding all sorts of great vacation spots, or even game worlds, to check out. It could make for a fun little channel to have.

Found a video showing how you can change it from day to night instantly. It's pretty cool, and it's on a double-decker bus, which is also cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZgcYAE9VFg

And this video is a great little demo of what the "demo" experience of it is like at E3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-HwnLQCPYs

jonezer4

Looking back on the video I posted up, I think a much larger percentage of it is video than I thought. I even see that they thank NHK.

However, those geese definitely look modeled to me.

If none of it is CG though, that's fine, it still all looks really beautiful. I guess I had the idea this was a kind of continuation of that bird demo from last year where it all was CG.

It would make sense for the geese and elements like them to be modeled for practical reasons and to add to the excitement and immersion. It would have to be difficult to get a camera up behind some flying geese without them attacking you or flying away.

Eradicate

It would make sense for the geese and elements like them to be modeled for practical reasons and to add to the excitement and immersion. It would have to be difficult to get a camera up behind some flying geese without them attacking you or flying away.

That is very true! Looking back, it mostly seems to be all video, though maybe with some random models or assorted programming and things to make it more interactive or such.

However, I think that it would make for a pretty funny thing to just throw in a goose attack while you're trying to fly around and be peaceful! Many years ago at a family reunion, a swan chased my little cousin around, and it was pretty hilarious.

It would be cool if they did an underwater one and you could be scuba diving like in Endless Ocean.

Was going to post something similar.

Or could be a new way to advertise games.. get virtual tours of game worlds and the likes.

Could strike up some deals for popular destinations/hotels for people to check out before they visit/stay at.

This is actually super clever.

lefantome

I don't see the point of wathing these views in the small low res screen of the pad when you have a 50" full hd tv in front of you.

It's clear that many functions that rely on alternate/movable views/positions could be simulated on the Upad successfully.

I just hope devs take advantage of its capabilities - in ways that don't feel gimmicky.

wiiu_1amu40.png
wiiu_24k7bd.png
wiiu_3bx786.png

mclem

It looks like they recorded it with a similar tech, but more adavance logically, that what Disney used in Disneyland in the Circle Vision theater.
I like it, but this would have been cool if showed with a videogame, like walking on a 3D "real" theme park of nintendoland, intead of the shity hub they are using.
I'm curious how they meld the pictures. Circlevision still consists of nine discrete screens, it's not a single cylindrical image - and this would implicitly have to be a single *spherical* image. I'm assuming full spherical image cameras don't exist (I'm ignorant of them if they do!) so there's gotta be some blending aspect to it. I wonder how obvious the seams will be.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There is a nice Panorama app on the app store called Tourwrist. If I were Nintendo I would pay them to support Wii U as well.

deleted

I think you all have a good ideas with adding all sorts of great vacation spots, or even game worlds, to check out. It could make for a fun little channel to have.

Found a video showing how you can change it from day to night instantly. It's pretty cool, and it's on a double-decker bus, which is also cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZgcYAE9VFg

And this video is a great little demo of what the "demo" experience of it is like at E3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-HwnLQCPYs

The Demo is pretty cool. I can see this becoming a real thing and at some point even a system seller. Keep it updated, add functionality like infos for famous buildings and such and it's not hard to see the appeal of this.
Maybe a perfect gateway for the eshop.
When they showed it first, they seemed to have mayor problems with the presentation, last year the street video was stuttering all the time, now it seems very fluent.

I'm curious how they meld the pictures. Circlevision still consists of nine discrete screens, it's not a single cylindrical image - and this would implicitly have to be a single *spherical* image. I'm assuming full spherical image cameras don't exist (I'm ignorant of them if they do!) so there's gotta be some blending aspect to it. I wonder how obvious the seams will be.

I don't know about literally spherical, but this is the simple way of making 360 degree film, just a curved mirror.

I don't see the point of wathing these views in the small low res screen of the pad when you have a 50" full hd tv in front of you.
The point is that you can hold the small screen in your hands and actually ''look'' around yourself. This makes it look like the view/scene is actually surrounding you. More immersive than just watching a static screen.

User Tron

So will this thing support live streams? Think of an E3 camera live at the Nintendo booth including zoom option or PK front row for every Wii U owner.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So this will be available next week as an eshop download. Good thing as so far it was listed on retail sites at full price. 1.99€ per location is what I wanted to pay, I'll probably get the first 4 available :)

Richie

This actually looked pretty neat in today's Direct. Not something I'd shell big bucks for, but if it has ton of videos and it's cheap enough, I may just be in.

E-Cat

At some point, a virtual tourism experience akin to this is bound to blow up on the Rift. There will be nationwide deployments to elderly care centers, mark my words. Granny will be visiting Tuscany for real.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm also keen about it. Good there will be a few free demo locations, so people can decide whether they like the app.

Top Bottom