• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great read, thanks. I really liked her perspective on the work in general, and it's good to know that while it's rare, that major directors in Japan are open to taking talent from outside of traditional places. Stories like this and Bahi's are always interesting. :D

It's definitely great to hear about people in the industry willing to work with foreign talent, agreed. It's not surprising that it's visionary people like Kon and Hosoda who are most open to it.

http://animemirai.jp/c4.php

若手原画:鈴木 亜矢 / 小松 達彦 / 南井 尚子 / 緒方 歩惟 / 三島 詠子 / 村上 泉 / 梁 博雅

She is listed as the first name on the junior animators for the Madhouse short, yes.

Ah. It seems a bit odd for her to be considered a junior animator-in-training when she's already worked as a key animator on such prestigious films. But whatever!

jbug617

Banned
Jojo 7

I guess this is leading up to end part 1. Random moment was
Dio with the woman and her baby. That just some cruel stuff.
Anybody know if this has a chance of being brought over to the US. I would love to see an uncensored bluray of the series.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Jojo 7

Anybody know if this has a chance of being brought over to the US. I would love to see an uncensored bluray of the series.

Will be watching Jojo shortly. Pretty pumped!

/XX/

I did and it was very...French? It was nice to watch something that looked different from my usual intake, but I wasn't too fond with it as a whole. I found The Illusionist to be more interesting while less dragging in pace.
He he, too true what you say here! Think of it as an acquired taste, because that style of a retro and surreal vision of France is typical of authors there (and I'm not referring to animation only). It happens the same here in Spain and some call it 'costumbrismo grotesco' (I wouldn't know how to say it in English anyway), is something that takes nostalgic elements for the audience and disfigures them in a caricature to make them still slightly relatable but strange and funny at the same time.

Theonik

Fine fine, I'll take the bullet again. Have your new page.
image.php

Chaps in my school were impressed because I had sliced carrots in my lunchbox. I wonder how they'd react if someone pulled out a decorated bento box lunch.
They'd probably have a small cultural fit then go back to their normal routine while being deeply jealous secretly.

Cwarrior

Jojo 7

lol
baby
scene is fucked up, is it really in the anime?

/XX/

duckroll

It's definitely great to hear about people in the industry willing to work with foreign talent, agreed. It's not surprising that it's visionary people like Kon and Hosoda who are most open to it.

Ah. It seems a bit odd for her to be considered a junior animator-in-training when she's already worked as a key animator on such prestigious films. But whatever!

I don't think it's really that odd though. Keep in mind that she applied as an in-betweener at Madhouse before getting the gig on Dream Machine. It's important to separate the prestige of the films with the actual work experience.

In the Japanese animation industry, she would be a very new key animator who has never worked at the bottom, and has just 3 years of experience working only on feature films by major directors who specifically selected her to join their team based on her work on a single western film.

Her experience working on The Illusionist probably eclipses all her anime work to date, and as she herself says, it is a very different work environment from how anime is made. So given the context of Anime Mirai, I think it makes a lot of sense that she would be considered a junior key animator and not a senior key animator. Let's not forget that most of the other junior animators at the various studios on Anime Mirai probably have much more experience than she does working on anime, and some have already had the chance to do some animation direction and design work too.

In the end, some animators are just luckier than others, and they meet the right people, or just work on the right projects and become recognized that way. Surely you wouldn't say that she can be put on the same level of experience as the two Madhouse senior key animators on the Anime Mirai project - Hiroyuki Horiuchi and Yuuichi Yakahashi. Could she be a better animator than them in terms of talent? Sure. But that's what training is about - more experienced people leading and guiding less experienced newcomers to be able to polish and showcase their talent better.

Consider Yoshimichi Kameda for a moment. He is in many ways probably one of the luckiest (and most talented) new Japanese animators in the anime industry now. He has only been working in the industry for 5 years now, but instead of being "talent spotted" and working exclusively on feature films, the majority of his work is in fact on TV. This gives him a huge advantage in terms of output, and also in understanding what is expected in normal day-to-day animation production. It also means that his talent was all the more obvious when displayed side by side with his peers, and made under TV deadlines.

For Aya Suzuki, I think that in terms of recognition outside of her work on The Illusionist, it actually worked against her because her anime portfolio as of now would be compared in films next to the very best of the best in the industry. As a foreign animator given a chance to work on scenes in these movies, it is definitely very exciting for her, but at the same time the very best scenes would all be taken up by more prolific and acclaimed animators also working on these projects.

I think when we look at it from that perspective, it makes perfect sense that she would still be considered a junior animator for the purpose of the Anime Mirai project. This is not a negative thing though, and by no means a judgement on the talent or potential of an animator. Instead it could well be a positive thing because it might in fact put the spotlight on her talent, which is what she would need to get more work and higher responsibilities after this.

Meanwhile Kameda doesn't even need any such "training" because when he works on a feature film these days, he is one of the main animation draws along with the other big names, and he is already taking on an Animation Director role on the Layton vs AA project at BONES. So working on TV as opposed to starting out on major films actually worked in his favor instead.

----

Wow I didn't expect to write so much, but yeah it was interesting to think about it and put out how I see the different career development paths within the industry work out for different animators we know about. :)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Evangelion: 3.0

.... There is no way to talk about this film at any length without huge spoilers that I'm hesitant to post. Gotta get a formal review out by Monday morning, so for now I'll just say that nobody could have possibly seen this coming.

Fuck.

I also highly suggest people avoid spoilers as much as possible.

I only have one very important questions for you. You can choose to answer this or no...

Does 3.0 have music from Kareshi Kanojo no Jijyo like 2.0 did?

Space Brothers 28:
A pretty nice flashback episode. Rather than feeling like it's completely interrupting the story, it actually feels right in line with where the last few episodes have been, and we get some pretty good development for Hibito. There were a lot of heartwarming scenes throughout the episode. Not one of my favorite episodes of the series, but pretty much every episode of this show is good, so that's not really that important.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Looks like Trigger posted a handful of stills from that recent Anime Mirai PV to their Facebook page. Here's three of them:

NAhEK.jpg

qz9Qs.jpg

jLWEg.jpg

The rest are at the link.

What is this? A new series? An OVA? Short? This looks asbolutely amazing.

I found this brief snippet tagged with it on AniDB, looks like studio trigger recieves funding to train new animators. Must be a dream come true to learn from Yoshinari... goddamn. What a boss.

Aka "The Young Animator Training Project". The animation labor group receives 214.5 million yen (US$2.65 million) from the Japanese government's Agency for Cultural Affairs, and it distributed most of those funds to studios who train young animators on-the-job.

The animation production for each short is required to be based in Japan, and professionals imparted their know-how to the young animators through on-the-job training. One of the reasons that the Agency for Cultural Affairs is supporting this initiative is the concern that more of the Japanese animation process is being outsourced overseas — thus leading to a decline in opportunities to teach animation techniques within Japan.

Sukitte Ii na yo 07

OH THANK GOD. Episode redeemed.

I can only really take this whole girl enters to steal Yamato round three so seriously for only so long. Doesn't help that everyone seems so stupidly dense about Mei here to the point I wonder if everyone just doesn't see her or something. Yamato is being way too Mr. Nice Guy here, everyone ignores Mei and her feelings, etc.

But at least the end of the episode finally does something about this. Friends act as actual support instead of mindlessly cheering, Mei finally takes action. God, hopefully all this stupid build up finally meant something.

But of course, now we get the introduction of a guy to steal Yamato now.

/XX/

Wow I didn't expect to write so much, but yeah it was interesting to think about it and put out how I see the different career development paths within the industry work out for different animators we know about. :)
Indeed it is interesting! And yeah, it really makes sense, we can see it as a recycling or adaptation into a different machinery/work methodology. Nothing strange seeing the differences between both "worlds".

I only have one very important questions for you. You can choose to answer this or no...

Does 3.0 have music from Kareshi Kanojo no Jijyo like 2.0 did?
I hope I can answer this for you right now if RyougaSaotome isn't around;
this time is Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water the featured work this takes themes from!

I don't think it's really that odd though. Keep in mind that she applied as an in-betweener at Madhouse before getting the gig on Dream Machine. It's important to separate the prestige of the films with the actual work experience.

In the Japanese animation industry, she would be a very new key animator who has never worked at the bottom, and has just 3 years of experience working only on feature films by major directors who specifically selected her to join their team based on her work on a single western film.

Her experience working on The Illusionist probably eclipses all her anime work to date, and as she herself says, it is a very different work environment from how anime is made. So given the context of Anime Mirai, I think it makes a lot of sense that she would be considered a junior key animator and not a senior key animator. Let's not forget that most of the other junior animators at the various studios on Anime Mirai probably have much more experience than she does working on anime, and some have already had the chance to do some animation direction and design work too.

In the end, some animators are just luckier than others, and they meet the right people, or just work on the right projects and become recognized that way. Surely you wouldn't say that she can be put on the same level of experience as the two Madhouse senior key animators on the Anime Mirai project - Hiroyuki Horiuchi and Yuuichi Yakahashi. Could she be a better animator than them in terms of talent? Sure. But that's what training is about - more experienced people leading and guiding less experienced newcomers to be able to polish and showcase their talent better.

Consider Yoshimichi Kameda for a moment. He is in many ways probably one of the luckiest (and most talented) new Japanese animators in the anime industry now. He has only been working in the industry for 5 years now, but instead of being "talent spotted" and working exclusively on feature films, the majority of his work is in fact on TV. This gives him a huge advantage in terms of output, and also in understanding what is expected in normal day-to-day animation production. It also means that his talent was all the more obvious when displayed side by side with his peers, and made under TV deadlines.

For Aya Suzuki, I think that in terms of recognition outside of her work on The Illusionist, it actually worked against her because her anime portfolio as of now would be compared in films next to the very best of the best in the industry. As a foreign animator given a chance to work on scenes in these movies, it is definitely very exciting for her, but at the same time the very best scenes would all be taken up by more prolific and acclaimed animators also working on these projects.

I think when we look at it from that perspective, it makes perfect sense that she would still be considered a junior animator for the purpose of the Anime Mirai project. This is not a negative thing though, and by no means a judgement on the talent or potential of an animator. Instead it could well be a positive thing because it might in fact put the spotlight on her talent, which is what she would need to get more work and higher responsibilities after this.

Meanwhile Kameda doesn't even need any such "training" because when he works on a feature film these days, he is one of the main animation draws along with the other big names, and he is already taking on an Animation Director role on the Layton vs AA project at BONES. So working on TV as opposed to starting out on major films actually worked in his favor instead.

----

That's a very thoughtful post; thank you for that. Of course you're right that she is still relatively inexperienced, even if the experience she has had has been on high-profile projects. You make a good point comparing Suzuki to Kameda - I didn't think about it this way, but it makes sense that it'd be difficult for Suzuki's work on Wolf Children to get noticed when you have a legendary animator like Inoue in the film overshadowing her. Meanwhile, Kameda's work on FMA: Brotherhood was the standout animation of the project; he was the one overshadowing everyone else.

At any rate, I'll be curious to see how Suzuki's career shapes up from here. In her interview she said that she originally planned to go back to Europe after Wolf Children before the gig at Ghibli opened up, and implied that she wasn't interested in staying in Japan as much as going wherever she can work on interesting projects. But since she's working on Anime Mirai I assume she now intends to stick around in the Japanese animation industry. I'll try to keep an eye out for her work in Death Billiards, Miyazaki's new film, and whatever she does afterwards.

Smile Precure 25

I feel guilty for enjoying this episode as much as I did. Thank you Japan, for making hot-blooded sports girls a thing.

Also, Oni with shades. Meme just writes itself, haha.

Grzi

Medaka Box Abnormal - 06

Looks like the show finally found its pace of nice shounen battles mixed with crazy shounen gibberish. I like it, it should stay this way until the end but simply raise the stakes and make everything more over the top.
Maguro is great, best character for sure.

Jojo 7

Import the jpn eng sub blu rays, or hope viz gets it, I guess.

/XX/

Most interesting! Thanks for the input! :3
My pleasure to help you!

The different choice of music was understandable given the nature of this later film...
while Evangelion: 2.0 had 'poka-poka' things and middle-school girls making 'o-bentō', this Evangelion: 3.0 has FLYING BATTLESHIPS with COMMANDER MISATO at its helm emerging to the sound of the Nautilus/New Nautilus theme! Quite the difference!

jbug617

Banned
Suki-tte Ii Na Yo 7

This entire show is trying to break them up and with the teaser at the end I can't tell who this person is going after.
That new guy at the end has to make a play for the girl right

Sword Art Online 20

Decent I guess. Action was passable as in they gave some effort for it. The episode felt pretty standard though, nothing major, just things come up swimmingly for Batman and his associated friends. So congrats on having a decent episode!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sukitte Ii na yo 07

OH THANK GOD. Episode redeemed.

I can only really take this whole girl enters to steal Yamato round three so seriously for only so long. Doesn't help that everyone seems so stupidly dense about Mei here to the point I wonder if everyone just doesn't see her or something. Yamato is being way too Mr. Nice Guy here, everyone ignores Mei and her feelings, etc.

But at least the end of the episode finally does something about this. Friends act as actual support instead of mindlessly cheering, Mei finally takes action. God, hopefully all this stupid build up finally meant something.

But of course, now we get the introduction of a guy to steal Yamato now.

So glad I'm sparing myself from this crap until its finished.

jbug617

Banned
Sword Art Online 20

This episode had a strong start. That fight scene was very good and I did like
when Sakuya confronted Sigurd about setting her up.
However I think the rest of the episode was sort of wasted.
More waifus went after Kirito but got shot down by the sister. Then the sister get's shot down by Kirito.

Next episode has potential with
Asuna's escape
. I wished they show more outside of the game.

Geneijin

That wasn't my point at all. It's just that if something is out there in the open officially as part of the promotion of a product, then people will talk about it. You should not expect the majority of people to consider it a spoiler at all. Internet forums are generally not meant to be super safe environments to shield every single person from total media blackouts. Personal responsibility has to be exercised.

If something is part of a poster or a trailer, people will talk about it. They will probably not use spoiler tags while talking about it, because it's just an advertisement. If someone is trying hard to avoid knowing anything about that product before they watch it, then you just take steps to avoid engaging in discussion about that product and just ignore what other people are saying about it.
Then you should allow talks for such promotional material as there's no reasonable expectation for internet forums to not be such safe environments.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The one episode you watched was about the weirdest one you could have watched.
And it wasn't hentai either.
If it features nudity on the forefront and it is made for the sole purpose of someone to fap over its contents it is hentai. Don't be deluded by the fact that they showed it on late night tv with black bars.

Syrinx

Ah! My Goddess 13

A new challenger approaches!

So Skuld has officially joined the fold. I found her voice overly shrill and annoying at first, but I actually got used to it a lot faster than I thought I would. Though I'm not sure how I feel about the character yet. Overly stubborn and tsundere. For example, she scolds Keiichi for patronizing her for assuming she was lonely without Belldandy. Correct me if I'm wrond, but didn't she explicitly say that she was lonely or something to that effect? (Or was it about the overly heavy workload?) Either way, it's clear she was lonely anyway.

Though I, uh, appreciate the... revealing shot of Belldandy in the bathtub, why couldn't they do this for Urd? All she got was a sideshot of her in the tub. Nothing else. Come on guys, get with the program!

Belldandy rides a broom? Okay, that's unfair levels of hhhnnnnnnnggggghhhhh.

This show's OP really is lovely and beautiful. The new credit theme is much better than the old one as well.

Narag

Should have saved that post for a #xxx00 post so when everyone bitches you can just say you warned them and they didn't see.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Sweet, it's guilty pleasure SAOturday!

Anyways, I just watched Star Driver ep1 and was blown away. Like really. The animation, the energy, the designs, everything. What's the consensus on this show? Does it keep it up for the duration of 25 episodes, or is this just a flashy start that fizzles out?

Dresden

Anyways, I just watched Star Driver ep1 and was blown away. Like really. The animation, the energy, the designs, everything. What's the consensus on this show? Does it keep it up for the duration of 25 episodes, or is this just a flashy start that fizzles out?

The latter.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

You are gonna see a lot of what you loved in episode one in the rest of the show.

And by that I mean a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom