• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Redford

aka Cabbie
For instance, if that kid had said "Waypoint for iOS is really laggy" then someone could come along and say "we are having backend issues" or "there is an update soon." Instead he said, "waypoing for iOS is a piece of shit." Where do you begin to respond to that?

It's just yelling at the clouds, man.

Karl2177

I understand there is helpful criticism here and we have a LOT of good posters, don't misunderstand what I'm saying. My main point is for every 1 Ghaleon, Juices, Dax, Overdoziz, or even Kyle, we have a million minkTANKS, Duji, and other shitty posters who go on the attack instead of cooling down and making well thought-out posts. I imagine if I were a poster here and made the game I would be immediately turned off by people who waltz around saying that it's shitty just as much as I would probably hate the Hydras and Cyclones for not being honest and true (all the time, yes, Cyclone made the one post) about what they would like to see different.

Having to dig around to find the gold isn't worth having to see the million degrading posts (to me anyway).

For instance, if that kid had said "Waypoint for iOS is really laggy" then someone could come along and say "we are having backend issues" or "there is an update soon." Instead he said, "waypoing for iOS is a piece of shit." Where do you begin to respond to that?

oh god

heckfu

Banned
On the other hand, one might think it's their job to figure the "bullshit" out. When the quality of your product (Waypoint) becomes a well-known joke around here, and the reasons are common knowledge, you're just making up excuses.

I think you missed the point of my post largely. Waypoint IS garbage...that's not a point of contention. This all stemmed from why 343 have quit posting here a lot and I was merely noting that a large portion of posts are just angry noise and not constructive (but every poster has their right to do so).

Say more things with your words. I don't understand.

Over the course of Halo 1 and Halo 2, Bungie invested deeply in player customization and options. With Halo 3 they expanded that to include ways to share both community creations, but also experiences. Part of what I've loved about Halo has become the ways we can not only define how we experience Halo, but then to also share that and the ensuing experiences with the community. That brought us Forge, Theater, File Share, Campaign Scoring, Skulls, and deep multiplayer customization options.

It was a pretty cohesive vision for collaborative content creation and sharing within the community. And a big part of this community for a while; custom game types, screenshot stories, shared video clips (rendered on b.net).

Here's what 343 did to those features:

*snip*
Excellent post.
As for the skulls, they actually removed quite a few. Halo CE Anniversary, bitches!

FyreWulff

The best thing HaloWaypoint can do is re-launch the whole site.

Not sure what the point of cutting Bungie off from the feed was. Especially if they apparently didn't have plans to actually continue or replace certain features.

It's kind of hard to feel bad for Microsoft when they put the spotlight on themselves by cutting Bungie off from the feed and cutting stats app development off.

Butane123

They can take constructive criticism. "Waypoint is a piece of shit" isn't helpful criticism.
It has the same problem I see mostly with Halo 4. Its over-designed with stuff that might be neat, but it just is a mess in execution because it lacks the simplicity that was common with previous Halo games/systems.

Waypoint IOS was replaced by smartglass on IOS. That's why it hasn't been updated.

Not that I blame anyone for not knowing this, it's not like MS/343 is/are actually being forthcoming with information.

You know what's really great? Waypoint mobile apps were replaced by SmartGlass in general. The best part? Halo 4 SmartGlass for WP7 doesn't work and tells you your device is missing a required feature: touch...

And God forbid I want to use it when I'm not using Halo 4.

Is that fucking constructive enough? I've complained (calmly) to 343 people, xboxsupport, majornelson, anyone I could think of about this. Best response I've gotten? "Yeah, that's not currently supported." WELL NO FUCKING SHIT!

Treatment like this is why many people have given up being nice or constructive. There's this continuous stream of things that are being fucked up or fucking people over. It gets old after a while.

Kuroyume

Banned
The problem with Halo isn't that they copied COD. It's that they copied Shadowrun and COD. It's ike they're trying to be 3 different games at once.

Ryaaan14

Banned
After reading the "What would the world be like without 9/11" thread I can't help but think about what Halo would be like without Bungie's conscious decision to add Armor Abilities to Halo.

GloveSlap

Nobody should even need a specialization code in the first place. It wasn't fair for LE buyers t get early access to the specializations in the first place. It is even worse now that I didn't get my code and there is no set date where the specializations are going to unlock for me. So I am either at a disadvantage or I have to waste money on Ebay for a code I shouldn't need.

Just unlock them 343. What is the point of the run around?

Two developers 1 cup.

And HaloGAF is the cup.

Once Halo 5 goes back to Halo 2 gameplay with no frills, includes a solid ranking system like in the past (H2+H3) and a solid set of tools (Forge, Community Files, Bungie Favorites) and Weekly rotationed playlists, only then will they start getting those players back. Along with SMART MM decisions. Not decisions based on past MM game data. Some people didn't shut their game off but instead played unhappily for awhile hoping it'd get better. Why trust that data?

They're smart. They know we're the fans who will more than likely stick through all the poor design choices because there's a chance the game will turn to undeniable greatness. They can make ballsy decisions to drastically change the formula of how a typical Halo match flows because they made the core gameplay better, so they know we'll cling to that hope.

Halo 3 - Believe: We believed Halo 3 could capitalize on the mistakes made with Halo 2 to bring an unmatched experience for both casual and competitive players.

Reach - Deliver Hope: We had faith that Bungie would deliver the hope we had after Halo 3 that they couldn't possibly make the game any slower and more inconsistent than Halo 3.

Halo 4 - An Ancient Evil Awakens: The inner CoD of Reach awakened with Halo 4.

What I mean is the argument isnt H:CE vs H2 its H:CE+H2 vs H3 Reach + H4.

Nah it's H1 vs H2+H3 vs Reach+4

H1 felt like its own game.

H2+H3 felt very similar.

Reach+4 same as H2+H3.

After reading the "What would the world be like without 9/11" thread I can't help but think about what Halo would be like without Bungie's conscious decision to add Armor Abilities to Halo.

You could say equipment. According to them aa evolved from people not using aa's effectively

Redford

aka Cabbie

Fuckin' Arbiter and his short-lasting camo.

VVV Thank goodness I'm not epileptic.

Karl2177

Camo is bullshit. Boltshot is bullshit. Jetpack is bullshit. UI is bullshit. Random ordnance is bullshit. Binary Rifle is bullshit. Lack of precision Forge controls is bullshit. Lack of zoom in Forge is bullshit. Flinch is bullshit. Perk design is bullshit. DMR is bullshit. Promethean Vision is bullshit. Sniper aim assist is bullshit. Beam Rifle aim assist is bullshit. Boltshot trigger latency is bullshit. Lack of online File Share is bullshit. Unlocking emblems is bullshit. Scattershot inconsistency is bullshit. Incineration Cannon is bullshit. SAW is bullshit. Grenades in ordnance drops is bullshit. Suppressor is bullshit. Pistol is bullshit. Storm Rifle is bullshit. Vehicle set on Exile is bullshit. Banshee is bullshit. Scorpion is bullshit. Gauss Hog is bullshit. Regicide is bullshit. Calling in overshield when you need it is bullshit. Excluding Extraction is bullshit. Forcing zombie skin is bullshit. Lack of Zombie options is bullshit. Forced sprint is bullshit. Lack of Race is bullshit. Lack of campaign theatre is bullshit. Locking all but two Specializations is bullshit. Lack of visible skill is bullshit. Forcing you to sign in to view stats is bullshit. Magnets on edges instead of corners is bullshit. Prometheans looking the same is bullshit. Lack of feedback on enemies is bullshit. Sword not slowing when shot is bullshit. Reusing the same challenge is bullshit. Giving enemies one shot kill weapons is bullshit. No death count in Spartan Ops is bullshit. Promethean spawning is bullshit. Sword not having slowdown on AI is bullshit. Marketing is bullshit. Human structures on dirt is bullshit. Lack of distinguishing sides on Adrift is bullshit. 2 Flag on Complex is bullshit. Hill on Ragnarok is bullshit. The Mantis is bullshit. Join in Progress with the enemy team nearing victory is bullshit. No flat space to Forge on is bullshit. Warthog sound being louder than anything else is bullshit. Captain Del Rio is bullshit. The ending is bullshit. Battlewagons taking 3 Railgun shots is bullshit. Spartan Ops netcode is bullshit. Black screen frequency is bullshit. Bro spawn weight is bullshit. Lack of pickup weapons is bullshit. Crawler headshot window is bullshit. Removal of Grenade Launcher is bullshit. Spartan Laser is still bullshit. Sarah Palmer is bullshit. Dudebro Spartans running out with shotguns is bullshit. Spartan Ops dialogue is bullshit. Audio mixing is bullshit. Lack of flag dropping is bullshit. Waypoint over flag carrier is bullshit. Not having Specialization perks for custom games is bullshit. Not giving Europeans Specializations is bullshit. Forcing one code per account is bullshit. Locking away armors to certain preorders is bullshit. Spawning asymmetrically on Haven is bullshit. Spawning asymmetrically on Abandon is bullshit. Deciding on three pieces of DLC before the game is out is bullshit. Double XP is bullshit. Framerate during split screen is bullshit. Framerate during Dominion is bullshit. Forge having only white pieces is bullshit. Player inertia is bullshit. Power weapons in personal ordnance is bullshit. No medal for Perfections is bullshit. Instant respawn always on is bullshit. Lack of skulls in Spartan Ops is bullshit. Lack of Campaign scoring is bullshit. Lack of Firefight is bullshit. Always checking for downloadable content is bullshit. Lack of any Forge maps in Matchmaking is bullshit. Lobby design is bullshit. The light beam on Solace is bullshit. Friendly fire disabled in Infinity Slayer is bullshit. Kill cams being incredibly buggy is bullshit. Starting matches with uneven teams is bullshit. Clipping into corners is bullshit. Removal of weapon specific sprees is bullshit. Information overload is bullshit. Waypoint over every enemy is Spartan Ops is bullshit. Scrolling arrows UI in the menu is bullshit. UI for Specializations is bullshit. Waypoint app not updating to Halo 4 is bullshit. Armor Abilities looking the same when on the ground is bullshit. Gravity volumes forced to 5x5 and 10x10 is bullshit. Limiting certain Forge items to one palette is bullshit. Forge items being .2 units longer than an even .0 or .5 is bullshit. Forge items not being even with the world coordinates is bullshit. Active roster not being organized by name is bullshit.

heckfu

Banned
oh god was right.

i also feel like kyle is going to add that to the next OT, |OT 12| What are your feelings on the bolt shot?

Ken

Camo is bullshit. Boltshot is bullshit. Jetpack is bullshit. UI is bullshit. Random ordnance is bullshit. Binary Rifle is bullshit. Lack of precision Forge controls is bullshit. Lack of zoom in Forge is bullshit. Flinch is bullshit. Perk design is bullshit. DMR is bullshit. Promethean Vision is bullshit. Sniper aim assist is bullshit. Beam Rifle aim assist is bullshit. Boltshot trigger latency is bullshit. Lack of online File Share is bullshit. Unlocking emblems is bullshit. Scattershot inconsistency is bullshit. Incineration Cannon is bullshit. SAW is bullshit. Grenades in ordnance drops is bullshit. Suppressor is bullshit. Pistol is bullshit. Storm Rifle is bullshit. Vehicle set on Exile is bullshit. Banshee is bullshit. Scorpion is bullshit. Gauss Hog is bullshit. Regicide is bullshit. Calling in overshield when you need it is bullshit. Excluding Extraction is bullshit. Forcing zombie skin is bullshit. Lack of Zombie options is bullshit. Forced sprint is bullshit. Lack of Race is bullshit. Lack of campaign theatre is bullshit. Locking all but two Specializations is bullshit. Lack of visible skill is bullshit. Forcing you to sign in to view stats is bullshit. Magnets on edges instead of corners is bullshit. Prometheans looking the same is bullshit. Lack of feedback on enemies is bullshit. Sword not slowing when shot is bullshit. Reusing the same challenge is bullshit. Giving enemies one shot kill weapons is bullshit. No death count in Spartan Ops is bullshit. Promethean spawning is bullshit. Sword not having slowdown on AI is bullshit. Marketing is bullshit. Human structures on dirt is bullshit. Lack of distinguishing sides on Adrift is bullshit. 2 Flag on Complex is bullshit. Hill on Ragnarok is bullshit. The Mantis is bullshit. Join in Progress with the enemy team nearing victory is bullshit. No flat space to Forge on is bullshit. Warthog sound being louder than anything else is bullshit. Captain Del Rio is bullshit. The ending is bullshit. Battlewagons taking 3 Railgun shots is bullshit. Spartan Ops netcode is bullshit. Black screen frequency is bullshit. Bro spawn weight is bullshit. Lack of pickup weapons is bullshit. Crawler headshot window is bullshit. Removal of Grenade Launcher is bullshit. Spartan Laser is still bullshit. Sarah Palmer is bullshit. Dudebro Spartans running out with shotguns is bullshit. Spartan Ops dialogue is bullshit. Audio mixing is bullshit. Lack of flag dropping is bullshit. Waypoint over flag carrier is bullshit. Not having Specialization perks for custom games is bullshit. Not giving Europeans Specializations is bullshit. Forcing one code per account is bullshit. Locking away armors to certain preorders is bullshit. Spawning asymmetrically on Haven is bullshit. Spawning asymmetrically on Abandon is bullshit. Deciding on three pieces of DLC before the game is out is bullshit. Double XP is bullshit. Framerate during split screen is bullshit. Framerate during Dominion is bullshit. Forge having only white pieces is bullshit. Player inertia is bullshit. Power weapons in personal ordnance is bullshit. No medal for Perfections is bullshit. Instant respawn always on is bullshit. Lack of skulls in Spartan Ops is bullshit. Lack of Campaign scoring is bullshit. Lack of Firefight is bullshit. Always checking for downloadable content is bullshit. Lack of any Forge maps in Matchmaking is bullshit. Lobby design is bullshit. The light beam on Solace is bullshit. Friendly fire disabled in Infinity Slayer is bullshit. Kill cams being incredibly buggy is bullshit. Starting matches with uneven teams is bullshit. Clipping into corners is bullshit. Removal of weapon specific sprees is bullshit. Information overload is bullshit. Waypoint over every enemy is Spartan Ops is bullshit. Scrolling arrows UI in the menu is bullshit. UI for Specializations is bullshit. Waypoint app not updating to Halo 4 is bullshit. Armor Abilities looking the same when on the ground is bullshit. Gravity volumes forced to 5x5 and 10x10 is bullshit. Limiting certain Forge items to one palette is bullshit. Forge items being .2 units longer than an even .0 or .5 is bullshit. Forge items not being even with the world coordinates is bullshit. Active roster not being organized by name is bullshit.

I was never a huge fan of the grenade launcher in Reach but I think the sticky detonator is pretty cool.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Getting called out in the party for not communicating. They must have no heard me because I was calling out each game. Some buuullshiiit.

Competitive settings are fun. Adrift is still not a good map

Dirtbag

Boltshot is a power weapon. It should never be in loadouts.

They just need to make it a full charge for the insta-kill, because I really dont see them dropping it out the load-out. It almost feels like a glitch that you can release it so quickly for the kill.

Karl2177

oh god was right.

i also feel like kyle is going to add that to the next OT, |OT 12| What are your feelings on the bolt shot?

I can expound on a lot of those. That is just from my notes on my phone. Boltshot: shotgun mode doesn't work well as a spawning weapon.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
They just need to make it a full charge for the insta-kill, because I really dont see them dropping it out the load-out. It almost feels like a glitch that you can release it so quickly for the kill.

Yep, they need to do that and reduce the range to 50% of what it is now. It should be right in-between melee range and UNSC shotgun range (1hk range).

Edit: been playing Blops 2 all day. Shit's fun yo.

Redford

aka Cabbie

*Longer charge-up (2 seconds)
*Glow through camo
*Use up all but 3 rounds
*Damage nerf/no insta-kill
*Range nerf

And watch the griefers cry.

Ken

Yes but call of duty dominating the market brought the notion that people want XP unlock systems with custom classes in every game.

No, CoD brought the notion that people want instant respawns and no weapon drops on the map to increase the shootbangs by 5000% and decrease the need for map control (and thinking) by 2000%.

Also, personalization/loadouts because everyone wants to be their own unique snowflake.

Armour abilities and loadouts brought in the notion that players don't need to start equal
CoD brought the notion that people want instant respawns and no weapon drops on the map to increase the shootbangs by 5000% and decrease the need for map control (and thinking) by 2000%.

I just want to cry.. Best part is though that 343 obviously knew this but designed the game as such. In fact, they took it further!

Yep, they need to do that and reduce the range to 50% of what it is now. It should be right in-between melee range and UNSC shotgun range (1hk range).

Edit: been playing Blops 2 all day. Shit's fun yo.

We'll have to play sometime. Me n Heckfu had a blast one night on it. That boat map is awesome! I thought to myself why cant I play on the outside of some huge Covenant ship in space in Halo? Would be awesome.

For real? WTF man. I was like playing really competitively lol. At least I was trying to, my teammates are fuck tards.

Ya - when you were on Formal's team, I could barely hear you and it was off and on. You're pretty quiet when I play with you too (read: quiet, not saying you don't talk).

In any case, the discussion continued for another 5 minutes after you bailed too.

IHaveIce

Banned
I understand there is helpful criticism here and we have a LOT of good posters, don't misunderstand what I'm saying. My main point is for every 1 Ghaleon, Juices, Dax, Overdoziz, or even Kyle, we have a million minkTANKS, Duji, and other shitty posters who go on the attack instead of cooling down and making well thought-out posts. I imagine if I were a poster here and made the game I would be immediately turned off by people who waltz around saying that it's shitty just as much as I would probably hate the Hydras and Cyclones for not being honest and true (all the time, yes, Cyclone made the one post) about what they would like to see different.

Having to dig around to find the gold isn't worth having to see the million degrading posts (to me anyway).

I understand that and I have to agree, if I was a developer of this game gaf would be really annoying.
And yes of course those posts are really unhelpfull, I never would defend such a post.

I just would wish we would see some answers or discussion on the good posts like from ghaleon or juices. But it is heartwarming to see that even with all the bitching here at gaf waypoint is a worse place lol.

EDIT: Hey Elzar, would like to join you guys, but I'm playing with a friend who is pretty bad lol, I promised him to play some games with him. :( Sorry <3

Ken

We'll have to play sometime. Me n Heckfu had a blast one night on it. That boat map is awesome! I thought to myself why cant I play on the outside of some huge Covenant ship in space in Halo? Would be awesome.

Because then we'd get Zealot part 2.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
+1 to Heckfu's post. I will try and do my part to post more of the issues I have with the game. I'm not going to make stuff up for the sake of hating something to blend in with popular opinion, but I'll give a more two sided look to my thoughts on the game. I really do like it a lot overall, but there's some obvious issues. A bunch of which I outlined in my post the other day.

Because then we'd get Zealot part 2.

Thats what I mean whenever we get Covenant architecture its always on the inside of some sort of ROOM. Like we have Gemini, Zealot, and Midship all sort of like these big rooms with Covenant architecture yet we know they have a distinct outside appearance too like Scarabs/Ghosts/Wraiths. A large Covenant ship that has under passageways and outer walkways along its sides would be mad cool to play a game of Halo on. Switch it up from the monotony that is Halo maps.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ya - when you were on Formal's team, I could barely hear you and it was off and on. You're pretty quiet when I play with you too (read: quiet, not saying you don't talk).

In any case, the discussion continued for another 5 minutes after you bailed too.

Damn man, that's bullshit.

Also, I'm usually quiet in your parties because I hate you!

Damn man, that's bullshit.

Also, I'm usually quiet in your parties because I hate you!

LOVE ME DAMMIT!

UjsLC.gif

Ken

Thats what I mean whenever we get Covenant architecture its always on the inside of some sort of ROOM. Like we have Gemini, Zealot, and Midship all sort of like these big rooms with Covenant architecture yet we know they have a distinct outside appearance too like Scarabs/Ghosts/Wraiths. A large Covenant ship that has under passageways and outer walkways along its sides would be mad cool to play a game of Halo on. Switch it up from the monotony that is Halo maps.

Wouldn't it be cool if Spartans could fight on the exterior of a Covenant ship?
OK.

Assembly.png

Halo levels never push the locations really.

Its basically

Inside Human/Forerunner/Covenant Location or Rocks/Grass/Snow with Warehouses/buildings/Forerunner Structure.

Adrift is a great idea your on a human ship flying threw space and its getting pelted by asteroids I get serious Stargate Universe vibes when I look at the outside of that map then i realise the inside is poor

Most of my friends who bought this game at launch are now trading it in to Gamestop and buying BLOPs 2 instead, as per my advice. We all agreed that the game is just not as fun as the other Halos.

CyReN

Most of my friends who bought this game at launch are now trading it in to Gamestop and buying BLOPs 2 instead, as per my advice. We all agreed that the game is just not as fun as the other Halos.

Can you go into what you and your friends didn't like? Just the guns? gameplay? lack of current ranking system? etc.

Is this some kind of joke at my expense?

Top Bottom