• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
If I recall correctly, there are torches on the outside that you need to light with Devil's Kiss.
It's a bit obtuse since you never have to do anything else like that to uncover secrets in the game, but I believe Bioshock 1 had a similar secret in Arcadia.

Ha I had played Ico right before BSI, so I saw torches and was immediately like "Welp, guess I gotta light these."

What's the best way to protect the ship? All these enemies coming from everywhere is too much. This is like my 5th try. I can't see to find a good strategy.

The timer for songbird to return doesn't help either.

If I recall correctly, there are torches on the outside that you need to light with Devil's Kiss.
It's a bit obtuse since you never have to do anything else like that to uncover secrets in the game, but I believe Bioshock 1 had a similar secret in Arcadia.

Oh nice, I'll have to remember that for my 1999 mode playthrough, I'm pretty sure I gave up trying to figure that out on my first playthrough.

On a side-note, every time this thread pops up with a new post in my subscriptions, I think it's news about the DLC. Then it isn't. :/

Ha I had played Ico right before BSI, so I saw torches and was immediately like "Welp, guess I gotta light these."

We've all played Zelda and Mario -- these kind of puzzles are really old-fashioned and basic. The main reason why most of us didn't get it though is because of how out of place it is in a game with barely any puzzles and nonetheless a first-person game. Not a bad thing though, I like it when developers add a little variety and don't use the same puzzle over and over. I'm glad this puzzle only happened once.

What's the best way to protect the ship? All these enemies coming from everywhere is too much. This is like my 5th try. I can't see to find a good strategy.

The timer for songbird to return doesn't help either.

There are loads of tips if you just google, but let me help you out a little. This was the only difficult part in the game for me. For starters, don't use the Songbird to take out the zeppelins. The cooldown is way too long for that. Only use the Songbird to attack the ground. It does nice damage and the cooldown is only like six seconds if I recall correctly (been a while since I played). You can take out the zeppelins easily by yourself, and all those ships that arrive as well. Use possession on the patriots and just fire at your will. Crush all the enemies with the Songbird and just focus on getting the zeppelins.

Angry Fork

Got this during the sale, have been waiting for this game for years, Bioshock 1 and 2 were my favorite games this gen and was really hyped.

I wish I had never seen the first demos and the E3 demo from last year. I don't understand what happened to that stuff? The world looked so much more open and improvisational, with tons of skyhooks and floating buildings near you. You got the impression you could skyhook really far up, really far down, go wherever you want, land wherever you want etc. and some crazy architect built the skyhooks without any real plan, just put them anywhere near buildings. But none of that was in the final game. Everything in the final game felt so constrained, carefully designed and choreographed in comparison.

I get the impression they couldn't make that game run properly in time for release so they cut it all out, made separate mini-skyhook sections and left it at that. It's really disappointing, I mean I had fun with what was there but why was so much cut out? I feel like we got a completely different dumbed down, downgraded game. If I paid $60 day one I would've been upset for sure, my PC being screwed up at the time was a blessing in disguise I guess.

I was also disappointed that Ken
made Vox Populi 'bad' guys as well. I don't like that he made a moral equivalence between oppressors and liberators/revolutionaries. This is a counterrevolutionary conservative/liberal impulse (when people say sure things are bad but if we revolt it'll be just as bad if not worse). I disagree with this vehemently as there must be an alternative to evil social conditions. The conditions and ethical dilemmas within a revolution are much grayer than "this rebel murders someone/gets revenge so they're also just as bad". That's just not true at all as it doesn't factor in motivations or final goals. I wish they let you join Vox Populi and defend their ideals, become a revolutionary with them etc. rather than be a guy in the middle of it all.

Some other thoughts: combat was just as slick and action packed as Bioshock. The most important aspect imo is how responsive everything is, whoever programs this stuff is amazing. Visuals and sound are obviously amazing as well, love the propaganda posters and art everywhere.

I didn't like the changes to the plasmid (or vigor) system, I feel like in the heat of battle you don't know how much you have left and when you run out it surprises you. I wish they kept it as a number like in the Bioshocks. Don't like the 2 weapon limit either. I also thought the clothes/gear addon attributes were dull. I pretty much stuck with most of the first ones I got and didn't bother testing out the rest of them. Maybe this will change in 1999 mode though.

But overall I had fun with it and plan to replay it on 1999 mode, and get all the achievements like I did Bio1 and 2. It's probably my favorite series of all time next to MGS. Will get the DLC when it comes out.

Voidance

Despite the relative dumbing down of the gameplay, I feel the flow of gameplay is much improved from the first two due to this streamlining.

I do miss the weapon wheel, though, and the visual weapon upgrades.

Also, the amazing art in this game floors me. One of the "prettiest" games of this gen to my eyes.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
made Vox Populi 'bad' guys as well. I don't like that he made a moral equivalence between oppressors and liberators/revolutionaries. This is a counterrevolutionary conservative/liberal impulse (when people say sure things are bad but if we revolt it'll be just as bad if not worse). I disagree with this vehemently as there must be an alternative to evil social conditions. The conditions and ethical dilemmas within a revolution are much grayer than "this rebel murders someone/gets revenge so they're also just as bad". That's just not true at all as it doesn't factor in motivations or final goals. I wish they let you join Vox Populi and defend their ideals, become a revolutionary with them etc. rather than be a guy in the middle of it all.

I wouldn't really say that.
A person who stayed spoiler free throughout the entire marketing campaign would've thought that the Vox were good guys (unlikely, I know, and it really isn't much of point either). What I mean is that the Vox are initially presented as an agent of change, specially as a change for goodness in Columbia, however in the pursuit of of their own freedom, the Vox saw in the Columbians what they saw in the foreigners: people who were impure and were the source of evil. What really happened can be explained with a very good Nietzche: "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."

Bought it for €20 from GMG right before the Steam sale kicked off. Easily some of the best euros I've spent. I'd already read up on the story before I played it (I never thought I'd play it so soon after its release), but there still were some moments that got to me. I liked the gameplay, too, though I ended up skipping some of the optional backtracking. The ending also felt rather abrupt, but maybe that's because I played the game over the course of a week and a half, and not in one sitting.

Alll in all, though, fantastic experience.

The ending also felt rather abrupt, but maybe that's because I played the game over the course of a week and a half, and not in one sitting.

Alll in all, though, fantastic experience.
Eh, I don't think that's it. A LOT of people were left scratching their heads, the game just kind of dumps a lot of info at you and it's a bit much to take in all at once. When you read a synopsis and listen to all the audio logs, it does pretty much all add up, but that sense of revelation at the end was absent for me because I how busy I was trying to add up all the pieces of such an intricately woven puzzle in the moment. You only get to make one first impression, and to be honest, that ending left a bit of sour taste in my mouth.

Tsukumo

Eh, I don't think that's it. A LOT of people were left scratching their heads, the game just kind of dumps a lot of info at you and it's a bit much to take in all at once. When you read a synopsis and listen to all the audio logs, it does pretty much all add up, but that sense of revelation at the end was absent for me because I how busy I was trying to add up all the pieces of such an intricately woven puzzle in the moment. You only get to make one first impression, and to be honest, that ending left a bit of sour taste in my mouth.

I feel the same. Even worst, the more I play the game (three playthroughs up to now), the less I seem to enjoy it.

strafer

So I've been playing through this game for the second time now and have just reached Shantytown, I'm doing a bit more exploring this time and boy did I find something amazing in Shantytown.

Booker picks up a guitar and starts playing and Elizabeth sings. Holy shit.

Feels. Feels everywhere.

First time playing. Is this normal? Everyone seems hostile.

I got to the town where
you have to meet up with Chen
. I was exploring and doing absolutely nothing wrong. Cops even just look at me.Some turret suddenly shot me and now everyone wants me dead.

So I've been playing through this game for the second time now and have just reached Shantytown, I'm doing a bit more exploring this time and boy did I find something amazing in Shantytown.

Booker picks up a guitar and starts playing and Elizabeth sings. Holy shit.

Feels. Feels everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpr6W3lAeaQ :)

I got to the town where
. I was exploring and doing absolutely nothing wrong. Cops even just look at me.Some turret suddenly shot me and now everyone wants me dead.

"The town"? What, Columbia? Anyway, the cops shouldn't attack you for no reason, no.

I got to the town where
In that particular area, if you cross a "line" that some police dudes are guarding they'll just start attacking you. Would be nice if they gave you some warning or 5 seconds to get back, but they'll immediately try to kill you instead. It happens a few times in the game, very annoying.

120v

so i'm on my fourth playthrough, this time in hard mode. i keep expecting to get sick of this game but i never do ... of course its got problems but it truly is an amazing game. i'm surprised everybody quit talking about it a month or so after the release. anyway i plan on tackling 1999 mode next. and i'm sure it'll be hell... this game is flat-out chaos in parts. but i'm looking forward to it

i was kind of ambivalent about the Vox's role in everything until i saw a youtube of adam sessler and others discussing the story... he was talking about how easy it could've turned into this white guilt trip with you siding with the vox -- and most developers probably would've taken that path ... but they turned that on its head and showed how the "occupiers" can be corrupted as well.

nothing groundbreaking, i know. and maybe more development time could've allowed nuance as to your relation to the vox. but either way what sessler said made me appreciate the story's open-endedness more

N80NIk4.jpg

About time...

B33

Banned
DLC is definitely imminent.

A update just recently hit. Under the "Product Update" section of Steam the changes for Patch 6 include: "Added features necessary to support upcoming DLC."

I'll put some my thoughts about Clash in the clouds in here, I've spent about 3 hours with it in total so far.

And I'll only judge it on the merit that it's presented in, either a 400 MSP/$5 content, or actually works out as being ’free' if you bought the season pass.

The biggest caveat here is that the more you enjoyed the BI combat and the combination of guns, vigors and sky rails, the more enjoyment you will get out of this peice of content.

Firstly, there is far more depth to this mode then what 'horde' entails. When I think of horde mode, I think of wave based rounds based on relentless enemy numbers or time limits that when successfully completed brings about another wave without giving the players much room for rest.

However, this isnt the case with CITC, the waves are presented as sort of challenge arenas, you're given a number of enemies, averaging 4-6 guys per wave, sometimes a combination of enemies. You're also given the benefit of a great spot in every wave in which you spawn and and from there it's up to you dispatch them.

After every wave, you're taken to this area in which you can upgrade and/or select your weapons, upgrade your vigors, buy a respawn token (first time it's $500, then $1000, and so on) before eventually entering the tear to start a new wave. Every now and again, a machine in the middle will also spill out gear (not sure if randomised like in campaign) and a infusion bottle.

Completing the waves gives you loot, doing it in creative ways equals more loot. Completing blue ribbon challenges gives you a great bonus loot. Loot can be multiplied in value by doing a variety of things like using a combination of vigors, getting multi kills, shooting the heart of a handyman etc.

In relation to blue ribbon challenges, these bastards offer great rewards but they are very tricky especially the ones found on level 2, not sure about the rest because I haven't unlocked them. Challenges such as only using traps to kill enemies, or making sure a fireman explodes when they're under the buckng bronco spell. They are challenging but offer great variety to supplement higher scores.

The hub/museum is fantastic in presentation, slick and stylish, what you expect from Infinite basically. The museum collectibles are priced in such away that it encourages plenty of replay to fill the area with everything, and there is a lot of stuff to see. I'm pretty sure the more stuff you buy the more populated the museum gets but I could be wrong about that. I am also convinced that you can hear BS1 music along with BI music when you're in the hub itself.

All things considered I had more fun then I thought i would and it ended up being deeper then I gave it credit for.

It's definitely more of a challenge mode than a horde mode.

I don't know what the problem people have with Infinite's gamplay is. We're so far away from System Shock 2, and it's clearly a deliberate decision. There's no desperate "But it's still a successor to SS2!," it's definitely its own game. And anybody who thinks it's like Call of Duty is just playing it in the most exceedingly boring way possible. I think Infinite has pretty damn good combat. The vigors are far more fleshed out than plasmids, with all of them being incredibly powerful in the right situation as well as being satisfying to use, the shooting actually feels good, unlike BioShock. The bullet sponge enemies are very limited (rocket troopers can be Undertowed off ledges, there are very few Handymen in the entire game), there's good enemy variety, all of the weapons are useful.

Zeliard

It's definitely more of a challenge mode than a horde mode.

I don't know what the problem people have with Infinite's gamplay is. We're so far away from System Shock 2, and it's clearly a deliberate decision. There's no desperate "But it's still a successor to SS2!," it's definitely its own game. And anybody who thinks it's like Call of Duty is just playing it in the most exceedingly boring way possible. I think Infinite has pretty damn good combat. The vigors are far more fleshed out than plasmids, with all of them being incredibly powerful in the right situation as well as being satisfying to use, the shooting actually feels good, unlike BioShock. The bullet sponge enemies are very limited (rocket troopers can be Undertowed off ledges, there are very few Handymen in the entire game), there's good enemy variety, all of the weapons are useful.

I agree, and the Handymen can be handled even on 1999 with certain vigors like Undertow & Murder of Crows, use of tesla coils, dancing around on the Skylines w/ or w/o Skyline-centric gear, etc. You don't have to just stand there and pump bullets into them all day long.

Gaaraz

Guys, I'm really sorry about this, but watching the trailer for the new DLC has potentially ruined this game massively for me... I got a real vibe that (Bioshock 1 and Infinite spoiler)
something happens where Elizabeth betrays you in a similar way to the guy betrayed you in the original, where you though he was helping you but was actually manipulating you... but they wouldn't do the same twist twice in two games right? :(
please can someone confirm that isn't the case? Even if you have to lie to me, it's okay... I just don't want this game spoiled in the way I think it has :(

phaze

Guys, I'm really sorry about this, but watching the trailer for the new DLC has potentially ruined this game massively for me... I got a real vibe that (Bioshock 1 and Infinite spoiler)
something happens where Elizabeth betrays you in a similar way to the guy betrayed you in the original, where you though he was helping you but was actually manipulating you... but they wouldn't do the same twist twice in two games right? :(
please can someone confirm that isn't the case? Even if you have to lie to me, it's okay... I just don't want this game spoiled in the way I think it has :(

You can rest easy, it's not the same.

I finished the game and I must say I'm perplexed at reception it got from the press. Maybe I'm simply stopping to enjoy the games but I found everything, outside of maybe the environments mediocre or simply alright.
I think plot was relatively predictable
(the moment Booker mentioned his daughter, my brain screamed"plottwist!"
and at least for me, mindfuck for the sake of mindfuck.
Gameplay wise the game is a straight up corridor shooter (not really a drawback for me) but with unfortunately uninspired combat, enemy variety and standard set of weapons.

Why are you watching trailers for story DLC on a game you haven't played?

Staal

I finished the game finally today, what a great game.

Although I didn't enjoy the combat and the game started a bit too slow for me, it went completely on fire at the end. Absolutely loved the ending.

Top Bottom