• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Tour - Highly disappointed in system and graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

Recently, I had the chance to play the Xbox One and its launch games on an event floor at an Xbox Tour event in my region. I returned being highly disappointed in the system: Even knowing the Xbox One isn’t going to be the most powerful of consoles, I expected much bigger a graphical improvement than I got to see with my own eyes.

Even Ryse's and Forza 5's gameplay visuals didn't strike me as a breakthrough, they seemed more of a refinement of current generation graphics than the great leap that I expected to experience after eight years. Battlefield 4 looked downright terrible (and Kinect leaning constantly interfered with unimpeded gamepad gameplay - I finally put a carton in front of the sensor to get a good go at the game), FIFA 14 didn't seem noticeably different from current gen and even Dead Rising only looked so-so.

Another thing to dislike about the Xbox One was the controller: The shape of the lower grips made it uncomfortable to hold, the sticks seemed too tiny and the bumpers were just strange (the amount of force needed to press them just didn't seem right/comfortable).

The Kinect only games on display were on an equal footing with current gen Kinect in terms of gameplay. The increased recognition fidelity wasn't immediately noticeable or beneficial in these games. The console itself seemed pretty clunky and big, and Kinect is a huge monster of a camera bar.

People that recognize my username on this forum may realize that I've preferred the PS4 to the Xbox One for a long time now for rational reasons (better performance, more interesting line up, cheaper): Even then, I didn't expect to get this negative an impression out of this event – it’s kind of shocking, really.

What were other Gaffer's impressions of their play experience? Do you expect people will be disappointed at launch time with the general lack of a visual fidelity leap?

And there will be entertainment, the big dukeroo, with Xbox fanboys in one corner and in the other corner the man who has just brought real terror to the Xbox One launch. netBuff.

You know what I'm talking about. It doesn't matter if it's this guy or another, you label GAF entirely with this same brush and you've done it in thread after thread. This is simply a highlight of your expectations.

Instead of responding to specific critiques, people in this topic continually try to slam the individual making them instead of saying whether they have any merit or why not. That is what contributes to a conversation.

This guy, I'm not familiar with him, he could be the world's biggest Sonybot. But the point I'm making is you only have skepticism because it's about something you want, not because you are legitimately questioning motives. I can count the number of times you've done this same general thing since the May 21 reveal, it's gotta be dozens of times. And what I'm saying is you'd get more mileage if you stopped to address the criticisms instead of trying to find some ulterior motive. Whether that ulterior motive exists or not is irrelevant if the points themselves have merit. It doesn't matter who delivers the message if the message itself has merit. Do you disagree? Then say why. Stop trying to always act like everyone just has it out for Xbox.

No, I have the skepticism because most of the comments Ive seen since E3 have been hate filled and nothing more (even if they did deserve it, its been months now). I wont take opinions seriously from people who cant manage anything remotely positive. If you cant manage one positive comment, then your opinion imo doesn't deserve to be taken seriously period. Ive always been fair and ive even criticized MS very loudly on this very forum when that 24 hour check BS was announced. Go check if you want to. You wont remember that cause NeoGaf also has selective reading. On NeoGaf people like to hate plain and simple. You might not want to admit it, but they do. Ive been pretty logical because i understand the fact that it might be a hobby to most here but its also a business to them. I dont hate for no reason and especially don't hate just cause its from company A.

UNCMark

Banned
He's probably referring to the story of the small child that was sucked into the Xbox One's fan during a tour event.

HORRORSHØW

tumblr_m6xc1yzAWK1qfnllzo1_500.gif
WJFkQn1.gif

Kinect then, but what could it be? Its already in every box, what else could they possibly do?

I mean, it's not something that will be a huge deal for every single XBOX ONE owner unless you were looking forward to adding some extra items to your cart on launch, and not like the system won't have one in the box. Ok, not saying anymore. Sorry.

krioto

I mean, it's not something that will be a huge deal for every single XBOX ONE owner unless you were looking forward to adding some extra items to your cart on launch, and not like the system won't have one in the box. Ok, not saying anymore. Sorry.

so no second controller available by itself?

No, I have the skepticism because most of the comments Ive seen since E3 have been hate filled and nothing more. I wont take opinions seriously from people who cant manage anything remotely positive. If you cant manage one positive comment, then your opinion imo doesn't deserve to be taken seriously period. Ive always been fair and ive even criticized MS very loudly on this very forum when that 24 hour check BS was announced. Go check if you want to. On NeoGaf people like to hate plain and simple. You might not want to admit it, but they do. Ive been pretty logical because i understand the fact that it might be a hobby to most here but its also a business to them. I dont hate for no reason and especially don't hate just cause its from company A.

Silly.Mikey the only sensible member of GAF confirmed. He never develops a prejudice, regardless of past treatment. Everyone who is wary of Microsoft's next console is a hotheaded rube.

Thanks for clearing that up, brah.

Amir0x

Banned
he didn't mention details that would be novel compared to what we've seen demoed elsewhere, and frankly ran contrary to every previous reaction I've seen for things like the controller.

For the record, there are plenty of people split on the new Xbox controller - including many long time Xbox fans. It's actually dividing those who utilize it fairly well. I can post you many articles, some from some major places, discussing the issues some people have with it.

But this is what I mean: we have expectations we bring into this discussion, instead of saying why the actual details are objectionable.

Let's say you played the PS4 controller and passionately disagreed with the praise it has been receiving. You went on to list several reasons why. Now, most people can say "Well, that's contrary the almost every report I've seen on the controller" - and that statement would actually be true. But does that mean we say 'oh i just don't get it this guy is so crazy' or do you say 'well I really disagree with your criticisms of the DS4 because contrary to what I've read and heard, when I used it my hands sat awkwardly on the grips. Similarly, your assertion that the triggers are a substantial improvement seemed bizarre. While they definitely are superior to the PS3 controller's buttons, it is still a far cry from what they had on the Xbox 360.'

One such line of thought actually pushes the ball forward in a conversation; the other is just petulant witch hunting.

Gestault

I like the bolded part. Honestly, even though I gave you flak in my first post in this thread, if your OP had been filled with more observations like this, rather than vague "looks like last gen" comments, then I wouldn't have ribbed you. This is something that I've also seen in several screens and videos for Xbox One games (Forza, I'm looking at you, you jaggy SOB). I agree that Dead Rising doesn't look too stunning, but making a claim like that usually should be backed up with specifics to avoid people lambasting your post.

In other words, if you had made your argument more precise, instead of using vague generalizations, it would have been harder for people to argue with what you had said, regardless of your post history.

This sums up most of my feelings as well.

jbug617

Banned

are you talking about how many controllers can be connected to the console?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

Controller shortage? That's boring gossip if so. Boooooo. ;)

KoopaTheCasual

That would make me a sad panda... What the heck would I play?

Shame on you for finding pleasure in my pain ;P

It would just be depressingly hilarious. Next gen gearing up for the first time in 8 years. Preorders at all time high. Fanboys at each other's throats, and then.... sorry guys, both consoles pushed to 2014. The fallout would last weeks if not months, lol.

But if this "hardware news" is truly going to be dropped tomorrow, I'd reckon it probably has to do with how functional your console is without the kinect plugged in. Lots of bad news getting aired out this week. I guess it's better to do it all at once, then let it linger (Machiavelli)

ref

Interesting remarks about the controller from the OP.

I just got back from Future Shop and got to hold the Xbox Ones controller. (They were still setting up the display, didn't get to play any games).

Also, for what it's worth, I play games primarily on PC, own both Xbox 360/PS3 and plan on getting both the One and the PS4. So, I'd like to think I'm not biased.

I thought the controller felt great, honestly. It felt almost identical to the 360 one from what I could tell, it actually fit my hands better due to the more squaredish grips. Had no discomfort with that at all.

Buttons felt exactly the same/fine, sticks felt good, didn't even notice/care they were smaller.

Triggers were triggers, felt fine.

Only issue I had, which I agree with the OP on is the bumpers. They need a lot more force to press in opposed to the 360's controller. The location where you need to press it is also a bit awkward.

Aside from that, to me it felt exactly like the 360 controller but fit my hands even better. Very comfortable grips.

Milennia

Ahhhhh it sounds like something that should be free but isnt and they are making it proprietary !?

GlassCity

Banned

Headphone adapter ?

SeanR1221

No batteries available day one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom