• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For all the crap WII-U got when it launched...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishnu

Didn't the Wiiu brick consoles during the update?
Granted I only read like 3 reports of that.

Overall I agree, launch titles were much better, and hardware wise Nintendo stuff is always really good.

jonno394

I thought there were issues with people bricking their consoles during the update, unsure if that was down to user error though :/

my Wii U worked flawlessly other than the slow OS.

Lily

Is this true? I seem to remember a lot of reports saying the firmware update on launch day was bricking some consoles

The Wii U was unfairly derided at launch as though PS4 and Xbox One wouldn't have their fair share of problems, but it's rewriting history to pretend it didn't have any issues. The day one patch issues caused grief for a lot of early adopters, and it took forever for Nintendo to get the UI running properly.

BNGames

I had to turn mine in for its own "Blue Light of Death" shortly after launch which after research appears to be a common issue with its power supply.

Secondly, the Wii U also had a TON of problems with its WiFi, so much I had to create a how to guide for people (Which still isnt a 100% fix):

Part 1: http://youtu.be/CB4ddITVm2w
Part 2: http://youtu.be/RbDIdIwZ3T8

It had plenty of hardware issues at launch, it just didn't have the same hype.

patientx

Nintendo does everything pro. except actually selling the console itself. They have great quality, great and always top notch first party games , hardware with minimum defects. They only have one big flaw : Their logic. They never seem to understood gamers of today are different than the people they sold their console decade ago. They are also so sure of themselves never seem to admit errors of their ways worse they keep insisting on them. They can really be the best gaming company on the planet but sadly they are not trying at all..

Edit : I think of Nintendo as a gaming/entertainment company which also sells hardware , others manufacturers of hardware part mostly.

The faulty ones are probably still on the shelf.

oooh.gif

as i understand PS4 and XBone use experimental rocketscience stuff called X86. Nobody knows what it does yet since there is no actual field data.
Didn't the Wii U have its own "Blue Light of Death" at launch?
it was more like blue light of freeze.

The WiiU would freeze and ou wouldnt be able to turn it off (had to unplug it).

it has been resolved through an firmware update

Dukey

Banned
Ps4 and Xbox One are selling better. So yeah, more chance of having faulty units.

Nintendo sold 3 million units in the span of about a month worldwide. OP is right. As far as hardware faults go, their launch was pretty uneventful.

baphomet

Thats a crock of shit. There were plenty of bricks and my console froze every time it was turned on until i sold it.

erawsd

as i understand PS4 and XBone use experimental rocketscience stuff called X86. Nobody knows what it does yet since there is no actual field data.
it was more like blue light of freeze.

The WiiU would freeze and ou wouldnt be able to turn it off (had to unplug it).

it has been resolved through an firmware update

There was def people with DOA consoles.

Rafterman

Banned
It only bricked if you powered down the console while performing a system update, which is quite stupid to begin with.

Shutting Off Wii U During Massive Update Bricks Console
Wii U consoles bricked when powered down mid-update
etc.

Considering how long it took to update the system when it was released it doesn't shock me that people would get sick of waiting or think it wasn't working. It's not like it updated correctly or anything, it just sat there and many people probably assumed it locked up.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i dont even think its sold a million consoles in a year let alone 24 hours

Dukey

Banned
this is actually wrong. if you lost power during the day 1 patch download, it was a brick

That's not a hardware fault. That's a fact of life with just about every single device on the planet now. Thus the warning to never turn the power off during an update.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U hard locks were so incredibly prevalent that a lot of people did return the system thinking it was faulty. I actually came close to returning mine before deciding to wait until a system update to see if it was software related. Turns out the OS update did fix it for me but that still was a huge problem.

Also the online servers were completely down for like 3 days, while the PS4 and XBO had a few hiccups but were both very functional online a majority of the time. And PS4 and XBO's OSs both didn't take a full minute just to open up the downloads or the settings menu from the home screen like the Wii U did.

I'd honestly put the Wii U launch at the worst of the three launches when ranked by thier technical problems. At least the blinking light of death and the blu-ray grinding are only effecting a small percentage of people. Wii U's problems affected everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom