• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How 2014 Japanese games sold on Steam

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Courtesy of Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/steam-gauge-measuring-the-most-popular-steam-games-of-2014/3/

Thanks to Shantom for catching a lot I missed.

Criteria:

1.) Game released in 2014
2.) "Numbers reported here were measured on February 26, 2015 unless otherwise noted."

Hours played per title and percentage of people who have started the game are at the link.

I plausibly missed some things so please point out if I did.

Sales (Owned Copies):

Dark Souls II: 964,266
Ultra Street Fighter IV: 451,366 (Likely includes Arcade Edition sales)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: 444,266
Metal Slug 3: 443,928
Final Fantasy XIII: 327,959
The Evil Within: 250,533
One Way Heroics: 213,342
Valkyria Chronicles: 210,299
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes: 192,042
Resident Evil 4 HD: 170,403
Final Fantasy XIII-2: 159,922
Vanguard Princess: 135,241
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends: 131,183
Agarest: Generations of War: 138,622
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky: 107,516
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae: 105,488
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution: 100,416
Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~- 95,007
Final Fantasy III: 91,964
100% Orange Juice: 87,906
Hatoful Boyfriend: 85,878
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger: 85,540
Pro Evolution Soccer 2015: 83,849
Final Fantasy IV: 75,397
Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition: 64,239
Astebreed: 59,844
The Legend of Korra: 57,139
Ikaruga: 52,406
Metal Slug X: 42,601
NEKOPARA Vol. 1: 39,896

rjc571

Banned
Are Steam sales numbers and playtime statistics publically available? If not, how did they acquire these numbers?

EDIT NVM, just clicked page one of the article

...Like FFXV :p

For exemple :p
But let's not turn this thread into a port begging one hahaha

And sales would be even better if we didn't had to be worried about horrible ports.
I wouldn't be surprised if FFXIII-2 port suffered from the FF XIII port... not only accounting that it sold twice less, as FFXIII-2 did on other platforms.

They don't go through every ID do they? I thought it was just sampling size from what I remember reading.

They don't, but they use a huge sampling size, over millions iirc. Also, a lot of profiles are private. Mine for exemple, and I own a lot of these japanese titles.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
...Like FFXV :p

Maybe KH and FF will eventually find their way onto steam. FF15 at the very least i think is probably 99% certain a year maybe after the console versions are out or something, but KH is a wildcard with Disney and the licenses and everything

Interesting to see how well Agarest: Generations of War considering the kind of game it is. Good either way though since they've brought all three of those games to Steam now.

Nabs

Such a high number for Ultra Street Fighter IV. How hard is it to find matches on the PC version?

It's not hard at all, but those numbers are a bit misleading. They changed the name of Arcade Edition to Ultra, so I'm going to guess lots of those are of people who haven't upgraded yet.

They don't, but they use a huge sampling size, over millions iirc. Also, a lot of profiles are private. Mine for exemple, and I own a lot of these japanese titles.

Yeah and I remember them saying that the errors were notable. Nevertheless it is nice to see some kind of valid data.

My takeaway is that these devs should start releasing these games in a more timely fashion for PC. I mean, pretty much all of them launched considerably after their console counterparts. I can only imagine how much better some of them would have done if they released alongside the console versions; although, admittedly, PC gaming might not have been as big when some of these originally launched on consoles (FFXIII, VC).

Zia

Ikaruga: 52,406

This seems like enough to warrant more ports but they've been so quiet. Also...

Pro Evolution Soccer 2015: 83,849

This could be so much higher. If Konami released a ver on par with the console releases and introduced Workshop support it'd be doing NBA 2K numbers.

Edit: Are the Metal Slug ports any good?

Top Bottom