• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
H0xCk33.jpg

Pillars of Eternity is a classically styled party-based computer RPG made by the fine folks at Obsidian Entertainment. It was successfully crowdfunded on Kickstarter, in a campaign that raised $4 million and single-handedly saved the company from impending closure.

Obsidian? Doesn't Samwise Gamgee use that to kill The Others?

Obsidian is one of the foremost RPG game studios in the world, being responsible for South Park: The Stick of Truth, Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2 (& Mask of the Betrayer), Knights of the Old Republic 2…and that Dungeon Siege 3 game with the awful co-op camera. Obsidian was built from the ashes of Black Isle Studios, which itself was responsible for some of the very best and most influential RPGs in history.

Obsidian has some serious talent, including Chris Avellone (Planescape: Torment lead), Josh Sawyer (Fallout: New Vegas lead), and Tim Cain (Fallout 1&2 co-creator, Arcanum lead), and they’ve all worked with the numerous other cool cats at Obsidian to bring you Pillars of Eternity.

It was crowdfunded? Is this some sort of indie game for hipsters with laboriously oiled beards?

Pillars of Eternity is Obsidian’s first creator-owned project, putting the studio in control of its destiny for the first time. In one of the most famous instances of Metacritic being the worst thing to ever exist, the wildly successful Fallout: New Vegas, despite selling many millions of copies, didn’t net Obsidian a dime after the fact. As perpetual guns for hire they weren’t entitled to any royalties, and their contract with Zenimax stipulated a hefty bonus check only if the game received a Metascore of 85 or higher. It got an 84. That, and other troubles with publishers: Knights of the Old Republic 2 was shipped incomplete after only a year of dev time, Sega cancelled Obsidian’s Aliens RPG after it was finished, and many other woes, have sent Obsidian into a downward spiral of layoffs and close calls with the afterlife.

A successful in-house original IP for Obsidian, with profits going back to them instead of a third party, has the potential to rebuild the company with solid financial backing and pave the way for many new RPGs to come. The folks at Obsidian aren’t here to constantly beg for cash with each release, either. They’re looking to make the Eternity IP self-sustaining now that it’s been Kickstarted, and they’re only pitching a second new IP on Kickstarter after Pillars of Eternity is released and judged by the public. There’s a reason we like these guys and gals besides the games they make.

What’s the gist of the game, then?

Pillars of Eternity is a real-time-with-pause tactical party-based fantasy role playing game, spanning two large hub cities and a vast expanse of wilderness locales and beyond. If you’re unfamiliar with the subgenre or you’re not a million years old like those of us who crowdfunded this game out of our massive old-fashioned Costanza wallets, think Dragon Age PC’s strategic camera mode without all the suck. You control your party of heroes with RTS-style click and drag controls, pausing when necessary to queue up actions and abilities, then unpausing to see it all play out in glorious mayhem.

Pillars had a design goal of recapturing the look, feel, and uniqueness of the classic Infinity Engine computer RPGs (Baldur’s Gate 1&2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1&2) of fifteen years ago without compromising the game for broader audiences or console-friendly controls or anything else that would typically be necessary for a mass market product in 2015. Like the classic IE games, it uses prerendered backgrounds with hand-drawn elements for a timeless and beautiful look. Just look at those screenshots.

Instead of using a D&D ruleset or its Forgotten Realms setting, though, all of PoE’s game systems have been built from scratch, along with a elaborate original fantasy setting: Eora, a world which delves deeply into the concept of souls.

evFiStb.png

What does NeoGAF have to do with Pillars of Eternity?

WE'RE ALL PILLARS OF PILLARS

The enthusiasm and generosity of NeoGAF’s members contributed significantly to the Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter campaign, with NeoGAF tracking among the campaign’s highest inbound links. If you contributed to PoE, sleep soundly in between marathon PoE play sessions knowing that you helped make an important game possible and also helped save Obsidian from sleeping six feet under next to Black Isle.

MASSIVE EVILORE EGO PORTRAIT IN-GAME

I personally contributed $3000 to the Kickstarter campaign (don’t worry, I’m crazy), and in return Obsidian’s artists have painted an awesome likeness of my face that is included in-game as a playable portrait for the main character or any custom party member. You'll be able to subject the founder, owner, and head troll of NeoGAF to all sorts of pain and suffering for your pleasure. Seriously, though, use my portrait, even if you’re playing as a girl or an Orlan or an Orlan girl, or I’ll beat the crap out of you at E3. Or just silently shed a tear. Probably just silently shed a tear. Let’s choose the path of peace and love, though, okay?

HKYBEPV.jpg

NEOGAF INN IN-GAME

2V35VE5.jpg

A core group of NeoGAF enthusiasts, coordinated through the time and efforts of NeoGAF member shagg_187, also raised an additional $5000 for the PoE Kickstarter to secure a very special and limited backer award: our very own NeoGAF inn inside Pillars of Eternity. Seriously. With specs figured out jointly by those of us who raised the money, the NeoGAF inn — called, with appropriately classy subtlety, the Goose and Fox — can be your home away from home inside the game. Until you get banned for saying something about Nintendo in the NPD common hall.

It’s situated in a prime location in one of the two main hub cities, Defiance Bay, in the Copperlane district. The innkeeper is our very own veteran banmaster Bishop. Check it out and explore the NeoGAF easter eggs Obsidian included, starting with the sign outside the door.

TjorioO.jpg

TROLLS

Chris Avellone also drew us some NeoGAF trolls, because he loves us and and he had to. Not necessarily in that order. Anyone up for a tattoo?

5rQeMlT.jpg

sPI4FAM.png

100 pages of PR materials about the game

Read a wiki or some shit.

Metascore

Not 84.

Miscellaneous

Here's the world map:

Play as one of these people: aumaua, dwarves, elves, godlike, humans, orlans

With these classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Cipher, Chanter, Ranger, Wizard, Priest, Monk, Paladin, Druid, Rogue

The game is really pretty:

It's on Steam and GOG, for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

John Walker of Rock Paper Shotgun thinks it's really good.

The end~

------------------------------
Insubordination Edit:
------------------------------
OR IS IT?

"Sensuki" has several good videos to introduce new players to the concepts and mechanics in the game, essentially spoiler free.
Character Creation
UI / Mechanics
Basic Gameplay / Combat

When does it come out?

26th of March, 2015 at 9am PST.

Is there anything else I should know?
There is a manual available here, assuming you're some kind of nerd. If you're also concerned about information being "correct" and other such trivialities, check out the Errata page.

Guest Appearance by Durante
In order to manage my excitement and get ready on the technical front (so that I don't waste any time on that when the game is out) I just digged a bit through the backer beta.

To get the best image quality on the 3D rendered stuff, while maintaining the full quality of the backgrounds, I suggest this (if your hw can handle it):
  • Downsample from exactly 4x the resolution (e.g. I'm using 5120x2880 on my 1440p screen).
  • Since this is a Unity game, if you are using DSR you will need to set your desktop resolution to your downsampling resolution before launching PoE for this to actually work.
  • UI will scale automatically, so there's no need to do anything regarding that.
  • Your zoom limits will be messed up though: by default the game won't let you zoom closer than a 1:1 mapping of background pixels to display pixels. Since you are downsampling, every "display pixel" the game sees is actually just 1/4 of a physical pixel, so you'd like to zoom in further.
    Luckily, this is easy to fix: open the console (look up the key for that in the options) and type "setZoomRange 0.5 100". 0.5 will let you zoom in such that you get 1:1 mapping of background image pixels to real physical pixels again with 4x dowsampling.
  • Additionally, you can use the command "msaa N" to enable NxMSAA, e.g. "msaa 4". It doesn't make a huge difference on top of 4x downsampling though.

Dennis

Banned
HKYBEPV.jpg

This is surprisingly well-done. The likeness is unmistakable yet it looks like it could be a regular fictional character portrait.

I should have plumbed down three grand myself.

Dunbar

My only question is whether I want to start playing immediately or wait a month or two for some patches to hit. I waited a while to play Divinity and Wasteland 2 and I think both games were improved and tweaked substantially in the interim.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Can't wait to get out of work and start playing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
HKYBEPV.jpg

This is surprisingly well-done. The likeness is unmistakable yet it looks like it could be a regular fictional character portrait.

I wish I had plumbed down three grand.
That's what they were going for. They certainly made some classy portraits to be used in game.

Donos

My only question is whether I want to start playing immediately or wait a month or two for some patches to hit. I waited a while to play Divinity and Wasteland 2 and I think both games were improved and tweaked substantially in the interim.

Yea, i'm also in this camp. These games are very complex and the masses find all kinds of bugs which get fixed.

Awesome OT... OP you should run a forum or something :)

Can't wait to get time with this - it's preloaded... My backlog am cry though... Alien Isolation, this, Cities Sylines and Saints Row 4 (which may get sacrificed as it's not up to the standards of these others...!).

I'm going into this game almost completely blind. I know it was done by the guy who made my favourite ever RPG (Torment), and there's an inn. That's about it. Oh, something about beetles?

Bring it on :)

Gattsu25

Banned
Okay, the sign outside the Goose and Fox is pretty clever.

Only approximately 5 more hours. Should be available when I get home from work.

Bloodborne and this within a single week? Who needs a damn holiday season?

aravuus

Aww yeah

AWWWW YEAH

Dividing time between Pillars of Eternity and Bloodborne is gonna be tough tonight. I'll just have to play them simultaneously, I think, I have my PS4 next to my PC after all.

I'm surprised how much more excited I am about this game because it has nothing to do with D&D. The D&D world's always been a bit boring to me.

I didn't even remember contributing to this game way back when during the Kickstarter. I had essentially gotten used to the intermittent update emails from Obsidian about the game and never really thought too much about it. GAF has hyped me up for it, and I watched a few beta videos.
I haven't played anything of this genre before, so I'm hoping I like it and that I can pick the mechanics up relatively quickly; it seems kinda complicated and weird to me.

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't played an Obsidian game since KOTOR2, but after looking at this on Steam I decided I wanted to support it.

I got the $60 one since I wanted the soundtrack. I know almost ENTIRELY nothing about the game other than that it appears thankfully not as zoomed out as some of the old isometric RPGs. Those may be a bit too tiny for my tastes. :p

Anyway, if I end up playing it hopefully it'll be interesting going in blind and picking a very difficult character build by accident!

Dennis

Banned
I think we should agree to wait to play the game for about 6 hours after launch to give me a chance to get off work.

milena87

Awesome OT, I'm glad to have contributed to this game. I love Obsidian and I hope this will be a huge success for them.

I can't wait to play tonight (and to receive my signed CE later on) :D

Arkanius

This game can't arrive soon enough.
Too bad I couldn't contribute to the Inn planning.

I feel like when I first asked a friend of mine for the Baldur's Gate 2 installation disks.

UnrealEck

Does anyone know how long the game is supposedly? Or rather how big it is. I think I recall reading that it's apparently really big.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone know how long the game is supposedly? Or rather how big it is. I think I recall reading that it's apparently really big.
It's a 6GB download and I think 18GB extracted on Windows Steam, if that's what you mean -- though I'm guessing you mean world map size?

Spookie

God Damn it I'm working till 11pm today and then have to be back out the house in less than 12 hours. Fuck my life. :(

Acidote

By the way, never had a date locked game on Steam, can I spam click the game around release time o do I have to close/open Steam?

Top Bottom