• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sonic Before/After the Sequel - Retro Sonic Fun :D!

RK128

In honor of this recent Kickstarter called Spark the Electric Jester getting fully funded and for Sonic's 25th Anniversary, here is a thread covering two fantastic fan-produced Sonic the Hedgehog titles :D!

Sonic_beforethesequel_01.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

These two games were created by LakeFeperd and its soundtrack composed by Flak and his team, which many of us know from his work on recent Square Enix projects like Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix and FFXV Demo :).

Before and After the Sequel take place before and after Sonic 2 and explore the build up to the Death Egg construction that we see happen in Sonic 3 & K. This set up leads to both Sonic and Tails playable and if you looked at my Sonic 3&K and Sonic CD threads, you will have a good idea how each control :). Sonic has his super peel out while Tails can fly in the sky (much further then in the Genesis games I must say).

The core gameplay is classic 2D Genesis Sonic; momentum physics being used, spin-dashing through loops and hills and bouncing on robot too robot :). What makes these two games special is the musical score they have and how LakeFeperd has little gimmicks that really make the levels feel unique from one another.

For example, in the second zone in BTS, if you bump into the floating fuzzes (from Yoshi's Island), the screen bugs out and you have to be more careful with your jumps and flying (as you play as Tails in this zone). Speaking of Tails, BTS is interesting as you switch from Sonic to Tails every zone, leading to things always feeling fresh (Sonic has shield abilities and more speed-based level design while Tails has his ability to fly alongside his levels having more platforming.

10-sonic-before-the-sequel.jpg

Rocky_Ride_4575.PNG

2-sonic-before-the-sequel.jpg

ATS4.png

In ATS you can decide which character you want to play as from the start and the levels are built for both Sonic and Tails.

A big thing that really helps BTS and ATS stand out is expanding the story telling devices that the Genesis games does. In those games (S3&K's mainly) the characters had silent animations and little scenes during the level, telling this grand tale while not getting in the way of the gameplay.

BTS and ATS do that as well, but having fully sprite animated scenes using various tools (Sonic CD sprites, original sprites, using level assets, ect) in telling its story and giving the games a really great feeling of adventure. Honestly wish recent Sonic games took a page from BTS and ATS for their plots.

And the score for these is simply amazing and they stand tall & proud next to other games in the Sonic series and here is the link to the OST's of the games. They are a fantastic score and really show the skill Flak and his team have in music composition :D.

Sonic Before the Sequel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFJxHbtyLgk&index=1&list=PL94E128D4184DFFA0
Sonic After the Sequel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7jcWVnmQ0&list=PL1YC01GDyvc9BZTaSAvW64SqLjhz5cplg

The soundtracks in both games have such amazing quality, are quite catchy and most importantly, match the various level themes like gloves. These are some of my favorite Sonic Soundtracks to be quite honest :).

My only issue is that BTS is caped at 30FPS regardless of your PC specs, so the games might not be as smooth as other 2D Sonic games out there. But the controls still feel good and it controls quite well. Just figured bringing this up considering the Genesis games (at least in NA and JP....I think it was locked to 50FPS in EU Mega Drives) ran at 60FPS.

Overall, these are two really great games that I highly recommend you give a look at :). I would of left this thread alone but considering I am making the Sonic Retrospective to celebrate the series 25th anniversary, why not include one of my favorite set of fan produced games :D? These are really fun games that while have some issues, are nice complements to the Genesis games.

For anyone interested in checking the game out, here are the download links to Before the Sequel and After the Sequel.

Both games support GamePads (press CTRL + Y to get its menu open when you open the game), so they play great :)

Any way to adjust the sound mix? The sound effects are way too loud, so I have to turn the system volume down, which means I can't hear the cool music.

RK128

Any way to adjust the sound mix? The sound effects are way too loud, so I have to turn the system volume down, which means I can't hear the cool music.

I have no idea how to fix that :(; the games have no menu options for sound sadly.

ElTopo

Banned
I didn't quite like After the Sequel from what I played. Level design was a little too stop and go, reminding me of Sonic 1 but without as many instant death situations. It also had that weird physics that took me out of it. It wasn't bad physics but it looked odd, especially when characters run up something and then return to neutral, they have this weird pose that reminds me of a flash game.

RK128

I didn't quite like After the Sequel from what I played. Level design was a little too stop and go, reminding me of Sonic 1 but without as many instant death situations. It also had that weird physics that took me out of it. It wasn't bad physics but it looked odd, especially when characters run up something and then return to neutral, they have this weird pose that reminds me of a flash game.

I guess I'm more forgiving to the game then I thought XD.

The level design is a bit odd at times and while it didn't get in my way, I can completely understand if that was an issue for people.

Sorry if you didn't enjoy it ElTopo :(.

Both are great fan-games. The final levels in BTS are a bitch though and have some annoying sequences. Soundtrack is godly though, Sega should hire them for their next game.

RK128

Both are great fan-games. The final levels in BTS are a bitch though and have some annoying sequences. Soundtrack is godly though, Sega should hire them for their next game.

I am still dumbfounded that Sega didn't talk to these guys in getting both Before and After the Sequel on PSN/XBLA/E-Shop; some extra polish here and there and BAM, a great digital game on home consoles :D.

Both of them stand next to the Genesis games in my eyes despite their issues, so I would love for them to get a console version in the future.

I wish Sega worked with the Sonic community more with producing Sonic games; so many great fan games, hacks and the like were made in the community (the Unleashed Project for Generations, Before/After the Sequel, Sonic Megamix, ect) that would have made for some fantastic DLC or digital games.

blanco21

the bosses are a huge buzzkill. one of my favorite parts of the original games was the robotnik bosses, but i think i'm alone here

Syril

I tried to play Before the Sequel once and it crashed whenever I tried to start the game unless I turned off the cutscenes. Maybe I had an outdated version or something.

RK128

Hello everyone :D!

I have been busy making a retrospective on the Sonic series and considering these two are some of my favorite fan games, I edited the OP a bit and its now part of the Sonic Retrospective :D

Consider giving these two games a shot and thank Flak for producing a pair of amazing scores with his sound team :D.

They are making a new game called Spark (which I have the Kickstarter Page liked to in the OP) and it looks very promising :).

Xbudz

Downloading now. Thanks for the reminder about these games, I had heard about them before but couldn't find the download links back then. You just made this too easy to pass up. :)

RK128

Downloading now. Thanks for the reminder about these games, I had heard about them before but couldn't find the download links back then. You just made this too easy to pass up. :)

Ah, no problem :). Enjoy the games!

I wanted to link these to the Retrospective in some fashion XD!

Going to replay them myself this coming weekend once more college work is out of the way, then I will fully update the OP with the touches I tend to put with prior Retrospective threads :).

Xbudz

Two issues so far, I can't figure out how to go fullscreen so I'm using the built-in Windows Zoom feature (Win, +) and the other issue is the d-pad doesn't work, only the analog stick for movement.

Dat music though. So good.

RK128

Two issues so far, I can't figure out how to go fullscreen so I'm using the built-in Windows Zoom feature (Win, +) and the other issue is the d-pad doesn't work, only the analog stick for movement.

Dat music though. So good.

You can't go full screen with BTS and I have no work-around for the controller issues you are having.

ATS can go into full screen mode and you could stretch the border enough to make it full screen (that is what I did when I played the game).

Sorry if this doesn't help much though :(.

Dr. Buni

I haven't played Before the Sequel yet, but After the Sequel is one of the most solid Sonic games out there, from level design to the fantastic soundtrack, which was partially composed by Falk (the NeoGAF mod), if I recall correctly, as well as Funk Fiction. My favorite tracks being Wolf Rayet , Mantra and Tea with Ellie.

While understandable, it is a shame this game will never be played by most given its status as a fan game that obviously didn't get any marketing. I do hope LakeFeperd's next game, "Spark, the Electric Jester", is a lot more popular than the fan games. I hope it gets to be as popular as the fantastic Freedom Planet, at least :D (Give FP a try if you haven't it, OP!).

Anyways, back to Sonic AtS, I really liked how each zone had some sort of gimmick, but none of them changed the game to the point it wasn't enjoyable anymore. I also loved the boss fights, my memory is fuzzy, but I like how some focused on Sonic's speed, like the some Sonic CD bosses!

RK128

I haven't played Before the Sequel yet, but After the Sequel is one of the most solid Sonic games out there, from level design to the fantastic soundtrack, which was partially composed by Falk (the NeoGAF mod), if I recall correctly, as well as Funk Fiction. My favorite tracks being Wolf Rayet , Mantra and Tea with Ellie.

While understandable, it is a shame this game will never be played by most given its status as a fan game that obviously didn't get any marketing. I do hope LakeFeperd's next game, "Spark, the Electric Jester", is a lot more popular than the fan games. I hope it gets to be as popular as the fantastic Freedom Planet, at least :D (Give FP a try if you haven't it, OP!).

Anyways, back to Sonic AtS, I really liked how each zone had some sort of gimmick, but none of them changed the game to the point it wasn't enjoyable anymore. I also loved the boss fights, my memory is fuzzy, but I like how some focused on Sonic's speed, like the some Sonic CD bosses!

I gave Freedom Planet the Retrospective treatment too man ;). I loved that game a lot :D.

The Sonic After/Before games are amazing examples of strong fan games and will consider making full-on Retrospectives for the titles in the future to celebrate the series 25th Anniversary!

Tailzo

Thanks for the information, I'll give these two games a try later :)

What is considered the best Sonic fan game of them all?

Top Bottom