• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong |OT| Little Trouble in Big China

cj_iwakura

CUrKDe8.gif

A conspiracy 30 years in the making...

• Release Date: 8/20/2015, 10AM PDT
  • Platform: PC / Steam / GOG
  • Genre: Strategy / CRPG
  • Developer: Harebrained Schemes

gqv0r1p.jpg

HONG KONG. A stable and prosperous port of call in a sea of chaos, warfare, and political turmoil. The Hong Kong Free Enterprise Zone is a land of contradictions - it is one of the most successful centers of business in the Sixth World, and home to one of the world’s most dangerous sprawl sites. A land of bright lights, gleaming towers, and restless spirits where life is cheap and everything is for sale.

The lure of a quick payday draws you from Seattle into the neon glow of Victoria Harbor… and into a corporate conspiracy nearly thirty years in the making. A terrifying threat looms on the horizon - a supernatural force that corrupts and consumes everything it touches. Dragged into the shadows of Kowloon City, you will need to forge new connections and gain "face" to survive.

Hong Kong contains fantastic elements for a new Shadowrun setting: an underworld of triads, tongs, and gangs to navigate, wild magic to harness, and bleeding edge cybertech to equip. Plus, Hong Kong’s culture is steeped in "guanxi" - a network of influence and relationships based upon a combination of social status, and prestige. All of these elements add up to a great new setting for running the shadows.

Kty7oMP.jpg

N11GglG.jpg

Gobbet is an ork street shaman and a follower of the Rat. Her devotion to her totem has granted her unique abilities to control the battlefield, trapping her enemies behind barriers of coruscating magic and herding them with clouds of blistering poison.

ej91P5W.jpg

Wu is a veteran security expert with years of sprawl-site combat experience. He has the muscle and the weaponry to either beat his targets into submission or to break them outright, depending on the demands of the situation.

tUofe21.jpg

Is0bel is a dwarf decker with the tools and the expertise to clear her own way to a target mainframe. Trained for combat by a cabal of hacktivists, she’s as deadly in meat-space as she is in the Matrix.

gAi7dvm.jpg

Racter is a highly specialized roboticist-turned-rigger who fights with the aid of “Koschei,” his custom walker-form drone. He also carries an engineering toolkit that he can use to repair Koschei and enhance its abilities during combat.

7mhOTGD.jpg

Thanks to his elite Red Samurai training, Gaichû has access to close combat abilities that are inaccessible to other characters. These take the form of stance-based katana attacks that flow together in sequence, each of which has its own unique animation.

VJW20D3.jpg

SRHK-Heoi-600x337.jpg

Lead a small team of shadowrunners - each with their own outlook, motivations, and backstory. The members of your team are designed to play contrasting roles during missions. Guide your team members as they progress in each of their unique roles, choosing between different focus options to grant them new items and abilities.

SRHK-Walled-City-600x337.jpg

Gripping, Turn-Based Tactical Combat: When you’re running the shadows, every turn matters. Choose your actions wisely - move to better cover, charge into melee, or lob a fireball into a crowd of enemies. With over 200 weapons and spells at your disposal, every turn is filled with meaningful choices.

SRHK-Encounter-600x337.jpg

dm6RvsT.jpg

Thanks to a shattered stretch goal, the Matrix(the 'other' world through which hackers and/or deckers do their thing) has been completely revamped, so it's no longer just the main game with a different shade of paint.

3WGEIbi.gif

Updates include stealth mechanics, more detailed hacking options(so you don't just have to fight your way out), and a new Sculptured System mechanic, letting you visit different types of specialized zones within the Matrix.

Also, new animatic cutscenes!

Music:
Matrix Stealth

Matrix Combat

MXXaZwb.jpg

HBS was formed by none other than the creator of Shadowrun himself, Jordan Weisman.
Although Hong Kong is the third iteration of the Shadowrun Returns series, no prior series knowledge is required.

That said, the last two games are each fantastic in their own way, and well worth playing.

z5Cd01d.jpg

(The Dead Man's Switch: a tale of Seattle, undead shadowrunners, Jake Armitage, Harlequin, Cherry Bomb, and one hell of an overdue check.)

DeWozg6.jpg

(Dragonfall: set deep in the Berlin Scrawl, a small group of runners find themselves on the trail of a massive conspiracy involving the most feared creature in Europe: the Firewing.)

ngzdLLQ.jpg

RockPaperShotgun

IDigitalTimes
What does not feel different, or different enough at least, is the story. Admittedly, I only managed to squeeze in 10 hours of gameplay in the 30-hour preview window I had access to.

Hardcore Gamer Review.
We’ve said it practically with each new Shadowrun Harebrained Schemes puts out, and we’ll say it again for Hong Kong: this is the most definitive, comprehensive and polished version of Shadowrun on the market. It builds on the past games in subtle but smart ways, fixing what was broken, and not touching what wasn’t. As a result, players are left with a magical cRPG that gives players so many options. Whether it’s dialogue and story or character, combat, exploration and loadout options, this is about as close as folks are going to get to a tabletop experience.

H4cKCvY.jpg

Here we go! Dragonfall was one of the best RPG of last year, let's see if Hong Kong can top it
I'm thinking so.

Also the pre order discount expires tomorrow at 10am pst/1pm est so that's probably when it goes live.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Harebrained Schemes are definitely the most punctual of Kickstarter folk. They have delivered on-time in eerie fashion.

Oh and hopefully this is good. For the sake of battletech.

KC Denton

Can't believe this is coming out already. Feels like it was less than a year since this was announced!
It was.

cj_iwakura

Need to, to get the story? No.

Should you because it's excellent? Yes.

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if they touch on some things hinted at in Dragonfall, but I guess we'll see.

Oh yeah, I forgot to dig up the custom characters, there's a ton of new ones. I'll probably add some avatars to the OP soon. (Working on digging up my Mage avatar from Dragonfall as we speak.)

Zeth

Need to, to get the story? No.

Should you because it's excellent? Yes.

Good to know - I didn't think they were story-contingent. Dragonfall's been next on my list for ages now - but I can't resist the new additions/updates, which look great.

Terra_Ex

The time has finally come, well almost. I still need to decide what class I want to play this time. Tempted to go with a mage again since none of the companions are covering that. So excited!

Vaporak

I can't wait for this, Dragonfall was the best of the best of the recent wRPG revival happening on the PC. Too bad I'm pretty busy this weekend. :(

The time has finally come, well almost. I still need to decide what class I want to play this time. Tempted to go with a mage again since none of the companions are covering that. So excited!

Go decker. Always go decker, because deckers are what the future is all about.

Magic? Go take a hike. Computers rule everything, and we are the masters of it all!

epmode

So: Go with my decker/rigger build again or try a new class? I'm thinking mage...

Go decker. Always go decker, because deckers are what the future is all about.

Magic? Go take a hike. Computers rule everything, and we are the masters of it all!
NPCs are heavy on deckers and riggers this time around :(

First class, first class... I'm thinking Shaman or Street Samurai. The latter I like 'cause I can load up on augments, the former because I can load up on social options :p

Damn those are some great portraits. I'm glad I backed at 55+ level for even more though. The artists are great, and the people who back this game are super attractive and intelligent. And virile.

I do hope the extra portraits become free for everyone at some point.

Great OP. Dragonfall was fantastic, and this one looks great too. I'll dive in tomorrow, but I won't be able to play that much.

Top Bottom