• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME UK charging £329 to customers for Mario Maker - Eurogamer

jpg

GAME customers who pre-ordered Super Mario Maker have woken this morning to find that their bank accounts have now been charged again multiple times.

Many have now been charged for seven copies of the game - costing £328.93 - when they had only ordered one.

Here

This is just ridiculous to hear that people are getting overdrawn with this stupidity of a system GAME have on their website...

Wow

thank god I cancelled last month and switched to nintendo store because of the tshirt. though I was *this* close to switching back when they unveiled the pins, in the end I decided not to bother. close escape

Tenebrous

Ouch. That would send the majority of gamers I know overdrawn...

I've only ever been overdrawn once, and that was when I was a teenager. Under £1 overdrawn, and got an £80 fine - Thanks, Natwest.

I hope GAME sort something out for them, but I doubt it.

I really hope that i get compensation for being charged £329. I do need the rest of the money for other things in my life... :(

I've only ever been overdrawn once, and that was when I was a teenager. Under £1 overdrawn, and got an £80 fine - Thanks, Natwest.

lol, same here. was coming home from uni and stopped at liverpool street for a whopper meal. atm said I still had £7 in my account, but it was old info and I got screwed over.

have always been very careful since then, but that wouldn't help here. I hope they compensate peoples bank charges.

Didn't you contact them? They'd have definitely refunded that if you'd pushed even a little bit.

Tenebrous

lol, same here. was coming home from uni and stopped at liverpool street for a whopper meal. atm said I still had £7 in my account, but it was old info and I got screwed over.

have always been very careful since then, but that wouldn't help here. I hope they compensate peoples bank charges.

Same here. Plus it helps actually having money coming in now, haha.

Didn't you contact them? They'd have definitely refunded that if you'd pushed even a little bit.

My old man did. Got it dropped to £30.

Tenebrous

This company needs to go out of business already.

I've been thinking that for years, but since my brother in law (to be) got a job there, I've been in a few times with my partner. It's not actually all that bad... Hell, even some of the games I looked at were priced somewhat decently, and I know the staff there are great.

Intel_89

I stopped ordering from GAME a while ago, everyone should just do the same. It seems like everytime there's a big release they manage to screw it up, big time.

weekev

Banned
Thanks for the heads up, ive not been charged at all yet despite the game showing as shipped so will keep a very close eye on my bank account.

I stopped ordering from GAME a while ago, everyone should just do the same. It seems like everytime there's a big release they manage to screw it up, big time.

Some of us would, but game publishers seem to rush to them with the best collector's editions and make it exclusive to GAME...it's rather infuriating.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thats a pity. Kinda funny that the guy mentioned in the article claimed that GAME stole the money though, its clearly a glitch in the system.

JoeM86

Thats a pity. Kinda funny that the guy mentioned in the article claimed that GAME stole the money though, its clearly a glitch in the system.

It's still taking money that wasn't theirs or due to be theirs and that is classed as theft, even if it was a mistake.

panda-zebra

Haven't Nintendo been taking money over and over for the same games for years anyway? GAME merely giving loyal fans an abundance of what they expected.

Please don't hate me, I already hate myself

i am , unfortunately, one of these people.

I called GAME yesterday and they assured me that each of the transactions would be cancelled and the money released and back in my account today.

I come in to work today and see two more.

Honestly, i have no idea what's going on with these clowns.

It's the last time i ever use them.

I've always hated them but they often have exclusive stuff that can only be purchased from them. Which is the only reason i have an account with them at all.

TLDR? Fuck GAME.

Frodo

Game UK has cheaper downloadable games price than the eShop. I'll keep buying from them.

Take that, GAF.

Similar thing happened to me a few months back. I ordered the Ganondorf amiibo with GAME (as it was impossible to find anywhere else). When it eventually arrived i had received 3 copies of it and charged 3 times of course, when i only had requested one. I had to send the other 2 back - of course i eventually got a full refund but it was a lot of hassle that i didn't ask for.

Recently i also bought a PS4, i got it from Amazon as when i went into GAME asking for the 1TB version they were charging £400 for it! Safe to say my opinion on the company has become... tarnished in recent experiences.

Rosur

It's still taking money that wasn't theirs or due to be theirs and that is classed as theft, even if it was a mistake.

Yea, though GAME will end up refunding all the money and probably still let people keep there copy of Mario Maker.

test_account

XP-39C²
No, i'm pretty sure that the definition of theft and stealing is when its being done intentionally. EDIT: Thats why i thought it was kinda funny, because it can sound like GAME intentionally and maliciously did this on purpose. It sucks that it happends, but errors do happen.

Thought there was something fishy when I got seven "your pre-order is being processed" emails yesterday. Already been on the phone with my bank this morning to try and sort this out and they can see the seven requests from GAME, all of which the bank have authorised, but they can't do more until the money is shown coming out of my account.

Tried to phone GAME, but their lines are blocked solid so all you get is FUCKING LOUD loops of Train blaring at you for 20+ minutes.

Absolute shitshow, and while it's not putting me over my account limit it's going to be a fucking pain to sort out. I've also heard that this is at least the second time GAME have done this recently, so whatever glitch they have is bloody persistent...

Hellers

I`ve had 7 charges to my credit card so far. The latest first thing this morning so them claiming to have fixed it yesterday obviously isn`t true.

I still have around £30 to spend on a gift card with these jokers. Since you can't use those on pre-orders, anything I'm interested in is overpriced and I have no local store it is tough.

Calm down, mate. It's just a system error.

GAME are shit for myriad reasons but it's not like they're doing this on purpose. See how they deal with it afterwards and then judge them.
You would think after last week they would have sorted things out.

Did they have a pre-order bonus? I don't understand why anyone would pre-order a game (especially with Game of all places) unless there was something in it for them.

I hope GAME sort something out for them, but I doubt it.

Man fuck Natwest - they did the same thing to me! I think I went like £8 overdrawn but all I remember is I couldn't pay the charge right away - had to wait a couple weeks and had to pay £150 :/ Switched banks shortly after that though hah - damn con artists

w3bd3vil

Neo Member
Really hope I dont get charged 7 times for my Halo 5 Xbox One and Collectors edition.....that would be ridiculous £££.

They have also not charged for Destiny The Taken King yet, they said they would.

Did they have a pre-order bonus? I don't understand why anyone would pre-order a game (especially with Game of all places) unless there was something in it for them.

In this instance, the only reason I preordered was that the price was good for the special edition - I usually steer clear of GAME and go for Amazon or - in the case of Nintendo games - the Nintendo UK shop.

Of course, multiplied by seven the price isn't quite as attractive... :)

yeah they did

it was a nice set of pre-order pin badges.

Mario-Maker-PreorderBonus.png

In fact I only noticed this yesterday and switched my pre-order to them for that reason.

Now, I've checked my order and it hasn't been shipped, so I haven't yet been overcharged but I also can't find any reference to the pre-order bonus either. Seems to have been wiped from their site. Hmmm. I had better get it.

fedexpeon

Banned
It's not bro.

It actually is.
Pending transaction will take time to fall off, and if you go into the negative from the pending transactions you will occur overdraft fees from items that finalized within that timeframe since the bank must holds the money to honor their end of the deal with the merchants for all transactions.
Now you will owe money to the bank from OD fee or you will have to waste time to get GAME/bank to refund your fees, and time is money but time valuation will always cost more than money valuation.
And in the worst case scenario, you can't get gas at 4AM in the morning to get home, be arrested if you sleep in your car, or get robbed for being stuck in a non-safe place at the dark of night.
Scary stuff brah.

They prices on the whole are pretty comparable to other retailers but yes it comes with an exclusive set of pin badges which no doubt will be unusable quality or destroyed in the post (like the steel boxes they did for previous Mario games).

They are also slightly cheaper* than Nintendo UK store when it comes to the limited edition and a lot cheaper compared to the standard edition. Nintendo UK store comes with an exclusive yellow t-shirt though.

*-Well outside of this issue.

Edit: Picture shown above looks fine plus a box :)

iNvid02

^^ yeah im sure they know their exclusive editions and pre-order fluff is what attracts a lot of people to them. the last time i bought something from them was the same case, the 20th anniversary ps4 which they managed to secure a deal with sony for.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Recently i also bought a PS4, i got it from Amazon as when i went into GAME asking for the 1TB version they were charging £400 for it! Safe to say my opinion on the company has become... tarnished in recent experiences.

To be fair, one assumes that Game are paying tax on that £400.

It actually is.
Pending transaction will take time to fall off, and if you go into the negative from the pending transactions you will occur overdraft fees from items that finalized within that timeframe since the bank must holds the money to honor their end of the deal with the merchants for all transactions.
Now you will owe money to the bank from OD fee or you will have to waste time to get GAME/bank to refund your fees, and time is money but time valuation will always cost more than money valuation.
I was able to contest such things on a debit card (yes I didn't know my debit card could go below 0 either, just £15 per transaction) by taking the monthly statement into my bank and going "as you can see from this statement I never went below zero, so why are you charging me?".

To be fair, one assumes that Game are paying tax on that £400.
I can assure Amazon do pay VAT (unless you are in the channel islands in which case they are one of the only retailers to write it off).

nemisis0

I had 2 your order is being processed with a message in the email also stating:

'The store has encountered a problem processing the last request. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your site administrator'

Hmmm now to check my bank account.

Bazry

Can't check my bank account yet but I have 7 progress emails off them including 2 this morning, so guess its happened to me as well :/

I actually pre ordered this for £49.99 and got several emails off them stating the price had gone up but don't worry as i'll pay the cheaper price due to their pre order price promise, I checked their site and it had actually gone down to £46.99

Top Bottom