• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Snowfall |OT| We Build This City on Mods and Poo

spiritfox

cities_skylines_snowfall-packshot.png

Snowfall is now out!

Snowfall said:

Patch 1.3.0-f4 said:
Paid content Snowfall Expansion

Winter theme added
3 winter maps
3 new winter parks
4 new landmark buildings
Snow (generated on buildings)
Snowfall
Northern lights
Chirper variations and new chirps
Winter citizens
Winter trees
Winter props
Cars slow down on snow
Some twinkle!
New sounds
New music
Winter versions for a few After Dark growables added
Tram added
Tram rails, electricity poles and models
Tram roads and bridges/tunnels
Tram stops
Tram depot
Thumbnails and tooltips
Added to the public transport Info view
Added to the economy panel
Snow plows, that remove the snow from roads, and snow dump
Heating
Pipes
Geothermal Heating Plant
Boiler Station
Road maintenance service
Road maintenance truck and depot
Road condition affects car speed
Sauna
Temperature affects electricity and heat consumption
8 new Steam achievements
4 new policies
New loading tips
New loading images

Free for all players:

Expanded public transportation UI
Line detail / visibility icons
Public transport lines panel (sorting of lines by name, vehicle count, passenger count or number of stops, color and renaming and day/night/daynight lines settings) available from the public transport info view
Theme editor
Added information on which custom map theme is used for a map to New game, Load game, New map and Load map panels, including the theme author name
Warning added when trying to use a map or save that has a missing custom map theme
New map panel allows custom themes when starting a new map
Weather
Rain
Fog
Chirper variations
5 new Steam achievements
Thermometer shows current temperature either in Celsius or Fahrenheit
Trams/taxi in info view now scalable size
Tunnel entrances have lights
WORKSHOP PANEL NOW DO ... INSTEAD OF CUTTING TEXT !!!!!
Background menu image fading based on what DLCs are owned
Main menu DLC badges
Building collision height includes props/trees
Small fixes for numerous buildings
Terrain cliffs and sand have now higher texel density.
Terrain cliff and sand textures have been improved and more uniformly tiled relative to different themes.
Fixed: Expansion 1: "2x2 Pub" gets built in Tourism districts and not Leisure districts
Fixed: Expansion 1: Design: 1x1_Souvenir Shops are built in Leisure Specilization districts.
Fixed: Expansion 1: Three assets are in the wrong category in the Asset Editor
Fixed: Expansion 1: "2x2 Beauty Salon" has wrong sort of names
Fixed: Expansion 1: Polish text for "User Interface Volume" goes out of bounds
Fixed: Russian option text in Display Mode scroll list goes out of bounds
Fixed: SPA/RUS: Options: The Aspect Ratio drop-down menu has cut-off text
Fixed: Magicka Theme Park is unevenly lit at night
Fixed: There is no "Normal" style for European maps
Fixed: Animated parks and unique buildings have flashing people and animals when viewed from the Electricity info view
Fixed: Elevated roads cannot be upgraded
Fixed: Some parks can be built under an elevated road, causing collision issues
Fixed: Solar Power plants description doesn't match the functionality
Fixed: It's possible to access locked construction menu tabs if loading into a smaller city save game from a large city save game
Fixed: Some citizens remain in parks indefinitely and sometimes retain their child bodies
Fixed: Graphics: Most props on the Magicka Theme Park are losing textures while zoomed out
Fixed: Tourism drops significantly in cities which have reached an attractiveness limit
Fixed: If too many 1x1 buildings are built close to each other, they, along with nearby buildings, will disappear if the user zooms out the
view.
Fixed: An error message appears when attempting to continue a power line by selecting the top-most part of a pylon.
Fixed: AI: After loading a saved game, multiple vehicles return to their depot.

Old OT for After Dark:
Best viewed in GAF After Dark.
q2nUHdS.jpg

Developer: Colossal Order
Publisher: Paradox Interactive
Plaforms: PC, Mac, Linux (Steam)
Price: US$14.99
Release Date: September 24, 2015

UgaQHQ0.png

Cities: Skylines is an award-winning city builder in the vein of the SimCity franchise. Released just this year, it features extensive tools to build and manage a major city and its citizens. But what sets it apart from other recent games of it genre is its extensive mod support, with over 50,000 items in the Steam Workshop. In the short time that the game has been out, modders have made all sorts of creations, from simple intersections and parks to flight simulators and multiplayer mods. But that's not the only thing supporting the game. Cities: Skylines has received several free updates since it's launch, including tunnels and a new European tileset, and Colossal Order expects to continue updating the game in the near future.

You can check out the OT for the original game here.

d8DV6OL.png

After Dark is actually 2 things: a free update to everyone with the base game, and the first major DLC for the game.

The Day / Night cycle is the main draw to After Dark, and will be part of the free update. Not just for show, the city simulation will change depending on the time of the day. At night, you will see less people on the streets, more people seeking leisure, and more crime. Traffic patterns might even change as people are now going out and having fun rather than going to work. The crime system has also been redesigned to make it more important, and prisoners are now part of the equation. After Dark also features an updated economy panel so you can set day and night budgets, and public transport can now be also set to run only during the day or night. Don't like the night? You can switch it off at any time.

And that's just the free stuff. After Dark gives players new buildings and specializations to make full use of the new mechanics. Leisure and Tourism are new Commerical specializations that increases leisure and tourism at the cost of noise. Bikes are a new form of transportation that players can cater for with bike paths and policies, and taxis provide a quick and easy form of transport to tourists. Also included are bus lanes, a combined Cargo Hub for cargo ships and trains, Bus Stations to streamline transfers, and a massive Interational Airport with an integrated metro station. Not to mention many other new buildings and parks.

Here's a summary of what's free and what's not:

7A1O63k.png

CaCgHCp.png

Videos said:

trillbo

Dying to get home from work to try this out. Gonna start a new city because my current one has some serious traffic problems.

Tenebrous

Ahh, that sounds absolutely fantastic, and I had no idea it was coming!

You mention that you can switch the night off if you're not into it... Well, can you switch the day off, and just have a night city?

Onyar

I'm very happy with this, I spent a lot of time on the game and hope to waste a lot time with this expansion.I hope to finish work soon to go home fast to buy it.

spiritfox

Ahh, that sounds absolutely fantastic, and I had no idea it was coming!

You mention that you can switch the night off if you're not into it... Well, can you switch the day off, and just have a night city?

Doesn't look like it. It's just a "Use Day/Night Cycle" toggle.

Copons

how does this actually work when a simulated day goes by in 1 second?

Actual game days and day/night cycle work separately.
IIRC, devs said a full day will last 30 minutes at max speed.

Anyway: just launched the game with the free update and there's something super screwed going on.
I'm pretty sure the road color changer mod isn't (yet?) compatible, as it throws an error when opening a new game.

And then... something happens when I zoom in, starting from, say, halfway in, all road textures become untextured and blue, and all buildings and elevated roads disappears.
I'm gonna wait until later, hoping for most mods I use to update, before starting to disabling all mods and then re-enabling them one by one to catch the culprits.

RS4-

Buying.

(oddly enough, I haven't actually played Cities for a while now, especially since I got a 970 like two months ago lol)

Actual game days and day/night cycle work separately.
IIRC, devs said a full day will last 30 minutes at max speed.

Anyway: just launched the game with the free update and there's something super screwed going on.
I'm pretty sure the road color changer mod isn't (yet?) compatible, as it throws an error when opening a new game.

And then... something happens when I zoom in, starting from, say, halfway in, all road textures become untextured and blue, and all buildings and elevated roads disappears.
I'm gonna wait until later, hoping for most mods I use to update, before starting to disabling all mods and then re-enabling them one by one to catch the culprits.

This still happen even in a brand new game?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
WOOT, the most addicting game of 2015 gets even more addicting! I'll be buying the expansion in a few minutes and playing this tonight and all damn weekend.

Best city building game EVER just got better, hot damn!!!!

Copons

Buying.

(oddly enough, I haven't actually played Cities for a while now, especially since I got a 970 like two months ago lol)

This still happen even in a brand new game?

Tried a new game (that's were the road changer threw the error), but I didn't disable anything.

Considering that this thing happens only when I zoom in, and it fixes itself (with the modded roads color even!) when I zoom out, it could even be Enhanced Zoom mod screwing up something.

As I said: I'm gonna wait a couple of hours (I can see Steam downloading C:S workshop contents every now and then) and then start disabling stuff.

For information: these are ALL the mods I've currently enabled in C:S (bar a couple of dupes, I think, like I may have subbed both Traffic Manager and Traffic++, but I only use the former): http://steamcommunity.com/id/copons/myworkshopfiles/?section=collections

Unicorn

Day night cycle was the one thing I was surprised that wasn't there already. I'm excited to play again with that nighttime twinkle.
Is this the type of game that would on a surface pro or is it way out of the ballpark
I'm able to play it on my Surface Pro 2 with a lot of the settings turned down. It's playable, but not as pretty.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just watched a taxi make a U-turn right on the street as soon as it got a call for a pick up. Does that mean they made it so vehicles can turn around without finding a loop or a dead end? Or is it just a taxi thing?

Copons

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=520741974

Here's a mod compatibility guide if you need help with issues. Also assets seem to be causing a lot of the non-loading issues so you should try disabling them all for now.

Thanks a lot!
I've checked it and in fact Road Color Changer is labeled as not working.
Enhanced Zoom isn't (but of course, I mean, what could that do...) so, as you're saying, I guess the non-loading is caused by assets.

Pretty baffled to see PostProcessFX between the not working, but eh, I'll live without stuff blooming
in daylight!

Copons

It... it looks... glorious...

I don't know exactly which mod was killing my city, as I disabled a bunch of them and for some other I went with their updated versions (found in the super helpful compatibility checklist!), but here I go.

With the day/night cycle it's basically a whole different game. I'm having great problems navigating the city in basically any hour of the day, as it always look so different than before.
So much that I'm thinking of starting a new city, but at this point I'd just wait to actually buy the DLC, to get all the new stuff.

Of course all of my custom assets were plain dark by night, but eh, it was to be expected.
One weird thing: the Sun Shaft mod works very good, but by night it tends to "shaft" non-sun lights. Ie. a couple of ships seemed spotlights far in the sea. It was a cool effect, but totally not as intended nor wanted. :D

Oh, and for anybody who, like me, relies 100% on solar power plant, be ready to have a TOTALLY NICE surprise when by midnight your entire city goes black. :D

EDIT:

also, DLC is up on Nuuvem!
23.99 BRL, roughly 5.20€ / 5.90$ / 3.85£ (VPN needed)

RP912

Banned
Had to get rid of most of my mods and some saves to get the game to work. So far, I'm enjoying it. I'm going to put more time into my city though because so far it's looking like a miserable college town :/.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Oh, and for anybody who, like me, relies 100% on solar power plant, be ready to have a TOTALLY NICE surprise when by midnight your entire city goes black. :D

LOL, hot damn that's funny!

Oh wait, I use a lot of solar power usually....

o_O

M.Steiner

Haha, yeah. I only had a couple myself but they were powering a big chunk of my city, definitely took me by surprise lol.

Haven't been on it for very long but I took a few pics as well:

Will probably start a new city later tonight.

Copons

LOL, hot damn that's funny!

Oh wait, I use a lot of solar power usually....

o_O

Yeah, I was out and about taking photos in pure awe, when suddenly the High Interest Tower blacks out right in front of me, and I was like, oh well it's night, I guess they just don't work late.
But then the no-power icon started popping up everywhere and I realized that I was producing just 1/3 of the power needed, and I was almost broke because the last time I plopped like half the unique buildings available, so I was totally crying but then screw it, I'll start over as always and as always it will be a bliss.

Kabouter

It's so pretty <3
Started a new game myself, since I had no idea which mods would be compatible, so I turned them off until I know.

[/URL]!
23.99 BRL, roughly 5.20€ / 5.90$ / 3.85£ (VPN needed)

Thats not very realistic though right? Don't normal solar power plants have a battery storage for stuff like that?

Thats not very realistic though right? Don't normal solar power plants have a battery storage for stuff like that?

well realistically at this point in time no city is powered by 100% solar energy, but in the future where they are battery storage tech will be more than capable of doing so.

Copons

That's what I thought myself too.
But then again, my solar plants (and a bunch of incinerators) were still producing 1/3 of what my 60K-city needed, so I guess that was the storage at work.

Ludovico

For someone almost completely new to city sims (messed around with Tropico 3 for awhile), how intuitive is Skylines?

Dwarf Fortress, play with a constant wiki open,
or Civilization, plenty of popups to guide me through the nuances?

May pick this up if closer to the latter.

This is not the game I need in my life while I'm in university

But fuck it, I'll get it off Nuuvem later today or something.

I might just hit the reset button on all my Steam workshop stuff. There's a lot of trash on there slowing my load times.

Pinkuss

Ordered direct from the Publisher; really think they/the Dev team deserve all the reward they can get.

Annoyingly I've got a friend coming round tonight so PES and Hotline Miami it is (and again tomorrow/Saturday). Roll on a hungover Sunday with Fajitas and this though.

Top Bottom